The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jean-philippe Côté

franck5890

• 1 month later...
Guest PrimusPilus

I've been to a bunch of Dogs games this year and Cote has been the best overall defenseman on the team so far without a shadow of a doubt. He has a mean streak, which I happen to like, sticks up for his mates, solid outlet passes and a decent shot. He adds toughness and grit to the Dogs blueline. Sadly, I don't think he's in management's plans at the moment, but if he keeps playing like this, management may not have a choice.

Guest jennifer_rocket
I've been to a bunch of Dogs games this year and Cote has been the best overall defenseman on the team so far without a shadow of a doubt. He has a mean streak, which I happen to like, sticks up for his mates, solid outlet passes and a decent shot. He adds toughness and grit to the Dogs blueline. Sadly, I don't think he's in management's plans at the moment, but if he keeps playing like this, management may not have a choice.

I'd definitely like to see him be called-up to Montreal if anymore injuries occur on the blue-line. I remember last season it was expected he would start with the team, and then a bad injury set him back a few weeks. Too bad, really.

• 2 months later...

I am a big fan of Cote's, would love to see him on the big club...but I doubt it. He's getting lost in the depth chart...and needs to have a big season to get himself back on management's radar.

what happened to this guy, He was sopposed to step up last year when bouillon went down, but he was in injured aswell.

Since then havent heard a word?

Well he's pretty much gone after this year as Gainey doesn't want him on the team.

Right now he has taken a leadership role in Hamilton helping out Carle.

Guest Anetéchrist

Unfortunately for him, an untimely injury destroyed his chance of reaching the NHL last year. Right now, he is behind younger, stronger, faster and better players in O'Byrne, Gorges, Valentenko and Carle on D. There's no place for him in our lineup.

Unfortunately for him, an untimely injury destroyed his chance of reaching the NHL last year. Right now, he is behind younger, stronger, faster and better players in O'Byrne, Gorges, Valentenko and Carle on D. There's no place for him in our lineup.

I still think Cote is far better than those players.

• 5 months later...

I think he is far superior to most of these, he has good size, hockey smarts and is very steady.......all that said

what is the latest on him 1970???? Anything official?

Sad to see that injuries decimated most of his chances. In the few games I saw of him at the NHL level (and the ones I've seen at the AHL level), he certainly showed no nervousness; in fact, I likened him to a more complete version of Komisarek; big, strong, defensively reliable, and a half-decent puck-mover. But this guy was a rock and I was really hoping to see him get his chance, although I think that time has past.

I really hope he decides to stick with it and join another organization here instead of going off to Europe. I think he has what it takes to be a really good top 4 guy in the NHL one day.

Sad to see that injuries decimated most of his chances. In the few games I saw of him at the NHL level (and the ones I've seen at the AHL level), he certainly showed no nervousness; in fact, I likened him to a more complete version of Komisarek; big, strong, defensively reliable, and a half-decent puck-mover. But this guy was a rock and I was really hoping to see him get his chance, although I think that time has past.

I really hope he decides to stick with it and join another organization here instead of going off to Europe. I think he has what it takes to be a really good top 4 guy in the NHL one day.

I agree wholeheartedly with both of you......I think he is too good to lose but if we have to at least keep him in the NHL (he will prove to be better, at least defensively than Beauchemin (another good one we lost).......Cote is a smart, steady, stay at home defenceman who can act as "quarterback"......as you said Cote is "a rock".......and you know what happens when you build on rock!!!!!

I wasn't even aware he was still with our organization.

Is he signed to a two-way/Hamilton/MTL contract for next season?

I remember a couple of seasons ago, people thought he was going to make it out of training camp and then he got injured. He never seemed to be on the radar afterwards. I wonder if he can't play a top-4 role in MTL sometime in the next few seasons. What does everyone think?

I wasn't even aware he was still with our organization.

Is he signed to a two-way/Hamilton/MTL contract for next season?

I remember a couple of seasons ago, people thought he was going to make it out of training camp and then he got injured. He never seemed to be on the radar afterwards. I wonder if he can't play a top-4 role in MTL sometime in the next few seasons. What does everyone think?

I believe he's an UFA now and neither Montreal or Hamilton have offered him anything in terms of a contract.

• 1 month later...

He's gone according to the spec.

Andlauer says of a club that's been stripped of Corey Locke, Duncan Milroy, Yann Danis, Jonathan Ferland, J.P. Cote, Andrew Archer and just about everyone else connected to the team's championship just two seasons ago.

JP might have an offensive game. We didn't see one from Hainsey in Hamilton either.

We didn't see much from Ron at all :P But I am glad he is doing well I always knew he had the tools.......but we only saw (small) flashes in Hamilton......I'd compare JP more to Beauchemin but again Francois had more of an offensive game.......I see JP as someone who is the anchor of the defense corps.....I think he could have a great NHL career anchoring a team's defense.

Archived