The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

David Fischer

franck5890

Guest RedLightRacicot
Here is hoping this guy pulls a Jack Johnson this year in college.

He will be taking Eric Johnson's place on the first pairing and the extra pp time should help his offensive game.

Guest 1970 Habs
He will be taking Eric Johnson's place on the first pairing and the extra pp time should help his offensive game.

It would be nice to see but do you know that for sure?

Guest RedLightRacicot
It would be nice to see but do you know that for sure?

No I don't know for sure. It just seems likely though but it could just be wishful thinking on my part. I don't know Minnesota's roster all that well but Fisher seems to be a good candidate for the spot. Here's hoping he is! ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest xe_liam88

I think soooo many people misjudge this guys abilities.

People are expecting the next coming of Scott Niedermayer and this is not the case, what fischer has a chance to become is a guy like Roman Hamrlik. He is 6'3 and when he fills out he will be solid, solid, solid. The kid is a smart player and has great positioning in front of the net. We need to stop over killing when we talk about our prospects. He is good, but it is highly unlikely that he will score 80 points as a defenceman!

Guest RedLightRacicot
I think soooo many people misjudge this guys abilities.

People are expecting the next coming of Scott Niedermayer and this is not the case, what fischer has a chance to become is a guy like Roman Hamrlik. He is 6'3 and when he fills out he will be solid, solid, solid. The kid is a smart player and has great positioning in front of the net. We need to stop over killing when we talk about our prospects. He is good, but it is highly unlikely that he will score 80 points as a defenceman!

I haven't really heard anyone say they think he will be like an 80 point defenceman. Anyone expecting an 80 point guy are grossly operating his offensive abilities. If Fischer can even come anywhere close to as solid as Hamrlik has been through out his career, then that is something to get excited about. People do tend to exagerate their own prospect's but I am looking forward to seeing Fischer develop over the next couple of years.

Guest RedLightRacicot
With Komisarek on the team and guys like O'Byrne, Fischer, and McDonagh in the pipeline, I am more excited about our D now than I have been since the Chelios era.

If Fischer projects as a Hamrlik type of player, that is great news as far as I'm concerned.

If all those guys develop into NHLer's , than it will be a defense core to reckon with. Chelios, Green, Svoboda, Robinson etc eat your hearts out!

Guest xe_liam88

I am talking about the Hamrlik of new...a guy that is smart in his own end and will still get you 20-30 points somewhere...this is what i see Fischer as during his career. Gainey didnt take the BPA he took the smartest player, I think it is clear gaining is building a character workshop....even S. Kost is rumoured to have an Ovechkin-like personality!

I am excited about this guy...obviously my 80 point thing was an exageration...but there arte peopl goin

OMG HE ISNT SCORING @ POINTS A GAME IN THE NCAAA...BUST!!! That is far from the truth......he is not supposed to be offensive...he is a good shutdown guy with a great transition pass!

Guest Greek Hab
With Komisarek on the team and guys like O'Byrne, Fischer, and McDonagh in the pipeline, I am more excited about our D now than I have been since the Chelios era.

If Fischer projects as a Hamrlik type of player, that is great news as far as I'm concerned.

With that said, let's hope Fisher makes a jump-up within 3 years to learn something from Roman.

Guest caperns

These are just kids and some may make it ans some may not.

I know a kid we drafted by the name of hainsey, he was supposed to be the next coming of brian leetch well he has not done much since those expectations and we let him go for nothing. He is having a fair carreer in Columbus.

Just don't get two excited until they reach the NHL and show what they can do.

These are just kids and some may make it ans some may not.

I know a kid we drafted by the name of hainsey, he was supposed to be the next coming of brian leetch well he has not done much since those expectations and we let him go for nothing. He is having a fair carreer in Columbus.

Just don't get two excited until they reach the NHL and show what they can do.

Solid players you can get in the second round. We could have drafted Gainey in the second round.

Fischer should be able to pick up points in college. Bob took a risk on a high schooler, at least it wasnt high enough to remind us of Lawton.

Most " solid" NHL players put up the points in junior of college.

If he can skate, he can play in the NHL, he just doesnt have star written on him. But, how about Webber?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xe_liam88
Wasn't he supposed to be an offensive defenceman when he was drafted or am I mistaken?

nah man...he is a solid skating defenceman with awesome size and a great first pass. He is also a leader, I went to Lake Placid two years ago after he was drafted and saw him play live during the Team USA camp against Finland and Sweden and thats what he did, he skated well, great positioning...and a great first pass thet can send guys on the break...

...look at Roman Hamrlik and you will get a guy like that....maybe a little less physical and a little watered down, but he will be solid.

He takes offensive chances when necessary, but doesnt get out of position to make plays. I like that

• 3 weeks later...
Guest patrickroycareyprice

DAVID FISCHER OWNS.next year it will be interesting.

Veteran staying:

Hamerlik

Markov

RFA this season for D

O‘Byrne

Gorges

New comers:

Emelin

Mcdonagh

Fischer

possibly Leaving:

Dandenault

Bouillon

Streit

Brisebois

Guest 1970 Habs
any idea what his +- or number of hits is 1970?

He is a minus 3; third worst of the seven defencemen. I cannot find anything on hits.

Is there any truth to what I read on this forum that his development has stalled?

Depends on your perspective. It was expected he would be a leader for the team this year after Johnson departed.

However two freshmen defencemen are better and leading the defence on the team:

Cade Fairchild 17 GP 2 goals 8 assists +6 (watch this kid as it looks like he is going to be good)

Stu Bickel 18 GP 1 goal 5 assists +2

Nope, it's just a little slower.

Definitely that.

• 2 months later...
Guest 1970 Habs

Hockey's Future Article - 10 March 2008

At 6’4, Fischer has the height of a solid NHL blueliner. But at 185, he hasn't got the weight. And an early-season illness didn’t help things. “In August he had his tonsils removed and he ended up losing 10 pounds before the season,” Timmins explained. “He spent a lot of time catching up.”

Fischer didn’t play much last year on a stacked University of Minnesota club. This year has been the opposite. “He’s playing for probably the worst Minnesota team in years,” Timmins said. “Despite being a sophomore, he’s taken on a leadership role this year and we’ve really seen an improvement in his play from the start of the year to this point.”

The club has long appreciated Fischer's leadership qualities, often taking such a role over more highly-touted players, such as Kyle Okposo. And with two goals and 10 assists in 37 games this year, he’s far exceeded his five-assist production from all of last year. The offseason will be about putting on that needed weight.

Source: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/1023...cts_spring2008/

Archived