The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ryan Mcdonagh

franck5890

Guest HabSteve

there is a nice article about him and Pacioretty in today's La Presse (it's in french, I know..) http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20071003...30/CPACTUALITES ,

all in all, it says that both were in the US Junior team Camp and that the coach John Hynes loved them, they played in a mini-tournament with Finland and Sweden and Mcdonagh was on the first defensive pairing with Jamie Mcbain, the coach said that his competitive spirit was his major quality, describing him as a great skater, good head and a guy who brings his best game when needed.

He then add, however, that the real revelation of this camp may very well be Max Pacioretty, Hynes said that he had a great camp, saying he is a power forward with an NHL body type. Timmins add that even though they loved David Perron, Pacioretty fits more what was needed from the Habs, comparing his style to Erik Cole's.

(Hopefully I translated it OK)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest overlords
Mcdonagh was ranked the #1 rookie defensmen to watch in the NCAA this year by the website inside hockey college ( http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Archives/F...itsdef_0602.htm ) . Ryan Sutter was #1 in 2003, Alex Goligoski in 2004, Jack Johnson in 2005 and Erick Johnson last year.

At the forward position, Pacioretty was ranked #6

How sound are these rankings? I've honestly never heard of goligoski. The reason i ask is because i'd really like these two players to not make us look really good in a few years :P

Guest HabSteve
How sound are these rankings? I've honestly never heard of goligoski. The reason i ask is because i'd really like these two players to not make us look really good in a few years :P

Honestly, I don't know how sound they are, I saw them from an article on cyberpresse and thought it would be nice to know ;)

About Goligoski, he is a prospect of the pittsburgh penguins, ranked 3rd on their prospect list on hockeysfuture behind Esposito and Kris Letang. But those other guy ranked #1 sound pretty good so...

Guest xe_liam88

On St. Louis Blues Draft Day Special:

St. Louis Guy: We hear you played football..What Poition

McDonagh: Safety And Linebacker

St. Louis Guy: Oh so no offence

McDonagh: nope, I like defence....I like to hit people!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Great kid, with a great future, even if he doesnt develop offensively he is a big kid that will be huge once he develops, he has a nasty streak tagging along with him. I am very happy with this pick and I can honestly say...I would rather take a chance on this kid than have a weakling in Esposito...no matter what his nationality is.

Guest Miltie01
man this guy is only 1 year older than me!

im getting old.

I am old enough to be his father !!!

In fact I have a kid his age and another yours !!!

Stop complaining, I'm old, you are just beggining !!! LOL :D

• 5 weeks later...

Talent Analysis

McDonagh is not a flashy end-to-end player, but does just about everything well. He has good size, is a solid skater, and makes the right decisions with the puck. He’s very strong one-on-one, but will need to adjust to the quickness he’ll experience at higher levels of play. He can play in all situations and eat up a lot of ice time.

Source: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/ryan_mcdonagh

• 3 weeks later...
I honestly remain clueless on how he was left off the American team for the WJC. Anyone care to explain...?

The WJC is a tournament of 19 year olds and McDonaugh is only 18, fresh out of high school. I'm not worried about it. He'll be there next year. Carey Price was also cut at 18 and was the tournament MVP the following year.

True JL, but Price was not a dominant goaltender, mind you he wasn't on the strongest team in Tri-City but still. Ryan has 8 points in 16 games which is pretty solid and to think he was left off the team is upsetting but like you said only 18 and I'm sure he'll be a force with the team next year.

Guest 1970 Habs
His stats after 16 games:

GP G A PTS PIMS

16 3 5 8 16

I should add that he is a +7 (tops on the team) and one of his 3 goals was scored shorthanded.

Third highest defencemen in pts; behind senior player Davis Drewiske (9 pts +2) and

sophmore Jamie McBain (10 pts +4)

• 5 weeks later...
Guest devils_fury2

I just picked up the new hockey news today and it has a pretty good read on this guy.....It starts out by saying that if it was up to Wisconsin coach Mike Eaves and his original plan, McDonagh wouldn't be playing in the NCAA until the 2008/2009 season and instead would be playing this year in the United States League (USL) instead for a year of seasoning, but that was before McDonagh *blossomed into an elite, world class prospect*....In 16 first half games for the Badgers he has 3 goals and 8 points and what was more was that he was a +7 which was tops amongst the teams defensive core that includes two seniors who have played more then 100 NCAA games in Davis Drewske and Kyle Klubertanz, a second rounder in Carolina prospect and sophomore Jamie McBain, Detroit first rounder and freshman Brendan Smith and potential first rounder Cody Golouberf......Given all that Eaves was suprised that McDonagh was passed on at the WJC and US coach John Hynes said it was because *its tough to take a guy that young who had never played on a big stage like that before....

it goes on by saying that Mark Osiecki who is a Wisconsin assistant coach and one time NHL defenseman says McDonagh is comparible with Gary Suter who also spent his NCAA career with Wisconsin....and it ends off by saying that McDonagh has demonstrated strong skating skills, confident physical presence and has smart and dependable passing instincts.....After 20 games now he has 3 goals and 9 points and has kept his +7 rating intact

Guest 1970 Habs

Here is waht a recent article had to say about McDonagh:

"McDonagh's made an immediate impact on his University of Wisconsin Badgers club, second among the team's defensemen (behind senior Kyle Klubertanze [ANA]) in points with four goals and seven assists in 24 games as a freshman. He's also shown a willingness to throw around his ample size, with 11 penalties taken over the course of the season."

Source: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/1014...ospects_update/

Archived