The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Edmonton Oilers 07-08

roy_133

Guest moe181
Well the Flames ended the Oiler's hopes last night. Sucks for them, but at the same time when the season started I didn't expect them to make such a solid playoff push. Considering they've had a season plagued with injuries and a young core with little expierence I thought they did pretty good down the stretch.

I think their a team that will only continue to get stronger as the years progress, of course, if they keep their younger talented players.

They could definately do without Souray, Horcoff and Morreau though..

I disagree about Horcoff he's been on of the Oilers' most consistent scorers since back in the 05-06 season, and I think he definitely has a spor when he comes back. Other than that, I agree Morreau has been out too much this season to know if he's had an impact on the team, and same thing for Souray, though I'm sure they can make room for him by removing one of the younger D-men currently in the line-up, like Gilbert, or Smid. One player that hasn't been mentioned though is Torres, he's someone I can definitely see being traded away in the off season.

Guest Wayne

is there something going on in Edmonton that prevented the Oilers from playing this weekend? it's strange, especially for a Canadian team, not to play at least once on the last weekend of the regular season...

in fact, if the NHLPA didn't agree beforehand, the Oilers' schedule violated the CBA:

16.3 Length of Season. .... Each Club will play at least one (1) NHL Game during the first three (3) days of the Regular Season and at least one (1) NHL Game during the last three (3) days of the Regular Season.

is there something going on in Edmonton that prevented the Oilers from playing this weekend? it's strange, especially for a Canadian team, not to play at least once on the last weekend of the regular season...

in fact, if the NHLPA didn't agree beforehand, the Oilers' schedule violated the CBA:

16.3 Length of Season. .... Each Club will play at least one (1) NHL Game during the first three (3) days of the Regular Season and at least one (1) NHL Game during the last three (3) days of the Regular Season.

haha I love these little tidbits you find in the CBA.

Guest Dintrox12

Thought I would like to say -- Oilers showed a lot of heart last night. Having come so close to making the play offs they show up for their last game and stick it to the Canucks.. Better luck next year Oilers

Guest 1970 Habs

Maybe you should send an e-mail to Bettman to see what type of answer he gives. :D

Guest Wayne
Maybe you should send an e-mail to Bettman to see what type of answer he gives. :D
maybe the golfing in Edmonton is particularly good in the spring :D

I was looking at the standings and was very surprised to see that the Oilers season was already finished, weird... I could understand it in a market where they really don't care about hockey, but in Canada?!!!

Guest 1970 Habs
maybe the golfing in Edmonton is particularly good in the spring :D

I was looking at the standings and was very surprised to see that the Oilers season was already finished, weird... I could understand it in a market where they really don't care about hockey, but in Canada?!!!

:lol: That's a good one. :lol:

Guest 1970 Habs

Edmonton Oilers sign defenseman Tom Gilbert to 6-year contract

The Edmonton Oilers signed defenseman Tom Gilbert to a six-year, $24 million contract Friday. The 25-year-old Gilbert, a former University of Wisconsin player from Bloomington, Minn., was second among rookie defensemen with 33 points (13 goals and 20 assists) and led all NHL freshmen with 159 blocked shots. Gilbert will play for the United States next month in the world championships in Halifax and Quebec City.

Source: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=36018...mp;service=page

Talk about expensive for a RFA ($4M/year). :blink:

Guest 1970 Habs

RFA Robert Nilsson signs three-year contract

The Edmonton Oilers have signed RFA forward Robert Nilsson to a three-year contract.

The 5'11", 185 pound right winger enjoyed a career-season with the Oilers in 2007-08, registering career-highs with 10-31-41 in 71 games to finish sixth on the Edmonton scoring list. His 31 assists ranked third on the Oilers and he led the team in plus/minus at +8. He scored three powerplay goals and registered eight multiple point games.

The 23-year-old Nilsson put together an eight-game scoring streak with two goals and seven assists from November 30th to December 13th. The streak was the second longest of the season by an Oiler. Obtained by the Oilers from the New York Islanders as part of the trade for Ryan Smyth on February 27, 2007, Nilsson has scored 17-45-62 with 52 penalty minutes in 128 career NHL games since making is debut with the Islanders in 2005-06.

Source: http://oilers.nhl.com/team/app/?service=pa...rticleid=360247

With the signing of two RFAs in as many days it looks like Kevin Lowe is nervous about losing their RFAs.

I wonder why. :lol::lol:

Guest sharpy83
What a waste of money.

you've boviously never seen gilbert play. He's great and only going to get better.

Also, these are smart moves by Lowe...getting his RFA's signed while GM's are distracted by the Playoffs

Im an Oilers fan (and a Habs fan) and this offseason so far has been great and is going to get exciting.

Guest 1970 Habs
you've boviously never seen gilbert play. He's great and only going to get better.

Also, these are smart moves by Lowe...getting his RFA's signed while GM's are distracted by the Playoffs

Im an Oilers fan (and a Habs fan) and this offseason so far has been great and is going to get exciting.

Well for $24M over 6 years let's hope you are right. :D

RFA's though.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Wow the Oilers just picked up Lubomir Visnovsky from LA! I like it - Visnovsky is pretty under-rated and a beast on the PP.

Not sure if the Kings got a good bargain in this though. Jarret Stoll and Mike Greene went the other way.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242046&amp...s=topStory_main

I know a 3rd paring defencemen and 3rd liner for a pp king + 2nd pairing d.

Gilbert, Pitkanen, Souray, Visnovsky <---WoW

Archived