The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Phoenix Coyotes 07-08

roy_133

I was just watching Sport 30 on RDS and the Coyotes are starting the season with 3 goalies:

Aebischer, Auld and Tellqvist.

Gretzky wouldn't say who will start the first game of the season...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just want to shout out to the 10,000 fans that showed up to the Desert Dog's game vs. the Oil last night.

Why Phoenix, Wayne, Why?

Is Phoenix the next team to move? I was recently at a game at the Glendale arena. They played a good team in Minnie... in front of 10,000 fans!!! It's just not a hockey town.

1. Phoenix Suns

2. Arizona Cardinals

3. Arizona Diamondbacks

4. Arizona State University(#4 in BCS)

5. Pro Lacrosse team

6. WNBA champions - Mercury

7. Coyotes

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest 1970 Habs

Coyotes Sign 2007 Top Draft Pick Kyle Turris

Phoenix Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney announced today that the Coyotes have signed center Kyle Turris to an entry level contract. As per club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed. Turris was selected by the Coyotes with the third overall choice in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. Earlier this month, he was ranked as the second-best NHL prospect in The Hockey News’ annual “Future Watch” edition.

“We are very excited to sign Kyle and have him join the Coyotes organization,” said Maloney. “He is a very talented player and is a big part of our future. By adding him to the roster, we hope to give him valuable experience that will help him heading into next season and beyond.”

Turris, 18, recently completed his freshman year at the University of Wisconsin and finished the season as the team’s leading scorer with 11-25-36 and 38 penalty minutes (PIM) in 36 games. He also helped guide the Badgers to a berth in the NCAA Midwest Regional Finals.

The 6-foot-1, 180-pound Turris also played in the 2008 World Junior Championships in the Czech Republic earlier this year, helping to lead Canada to the gold medal. He tied for the team-lead in scoring with 4-2-6 in five games.

A native of New Westminster, British Columbia, Turris also helped Team Canada to a 7-0-1 record in the 2007 Super Series, an eight-game event that featured the top junior players from Canada taking on Russia’s best juniors. Turris led all goal-scorers with seven goals in eight games.

In 2006-07, Turris was named MVP of the British Columbia Hockey League after recording 66-55-121 and 83 PIM in 53 games for the Burnaby Express. He also tied for the league lead in playoff scoring with 12-14-26 despite playing one less postseason round than the rest of the top 10 scorers.

With the addition of Turris, Phoenix’s roster now features the club’s first round pick from each of the last three Entry Drafts: Turris (3rd overall, 2007), Peter Mueller (8th overall, 2006) and Martin Hanzal (17th overall, 2005).

Source: http://coyotes.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=...mp;service=page

Watch this team next year as they will also have Hobey Baker Award finalist Kevin Porter and Chad Kolarik graduating from the NCAA University of Michigan Wolverines this year.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1970 Habs

Coyotes signed NCAA's top player Kevin Porter

Phoenix Coyotes General Manager Don Maloney announced today that the Coyotes have signed forward Kevin Porter, winner of the 2008 Hobey Baker Award as college hockey’s top player, to an entry level contract. As per club policy, terms of the contract were not disclosed.

Porter, 22, recently completed his senior year at the University of Michigan and finished the season ranked 2nd in Division I scoring with 33-30-63 in 43 games. The Wolverines captain finished his collegiate career with 85-98-183 and 115 penalty minutes (PIM) in 162 games.

Porter, who was selected by the Coyotes in the fourth round (119th overall) of the 2004 Entry Draft, will join the Coyotes’ American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the San Antonio Rampage, as they begin their first round Calder Cup Playoff series against the Toronto Marlies.

The 5-foot-11, 195-pound forward was named the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA) Player of the Year and was a finalist for the league's Best Defensive Forward award. The Northville, Michigan native was also a member of the RBK West All-American First Team and All-CCHA First Team and was named the Hockey Commissioners January National Player of the Month.

During the East Regional of this year’s NCAA Men’s Ice Hockey Championship, Porter scored an NCAA-record four goals in the Wolverines' 5-1 win against Niagara in the semifinal. He then added a goal and an assist in a 2-0 win over Clarkson as Michigan advanced to the Frozen Four for the 23rd time in school history.

Source: http://coyotes.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=...mp;service=page

• 2 months later...
I'll hold my "scratch another one" until the link is posted.

Nuh uh, I don't post garbage! :lol:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241251&amp...topRelated_main

The Florida Panthers have traded captain Olli Jokinen to the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for defensemen Keith Ballard, Nick Boynton and the 49th overall pick.

The move had been long rumoured as there have been several reports out of Florida that Jokinen and general manager Jacques Martin have had a strained relationship in the past.

This past year Jokinen scored 34 goals and 37 assists while playing in all 82 games.

After seven seasons with the organization, four as team captain, Jokinen leaves the Panthers as the leading goal and point scorer in franchise history.

Jokinen was originally drafted by the Los Angeles Kings third overall in the 1997 entry draft. Jokinen was then sent to the New York Islanders in exchange for Ziggy Palffy. In the summer of 2000, the 28-year old native of Finland was sent to Florida as part of the Roberto Luongo trade.

Jokinen has two years left on his contract following this season that will pay him another $10.5 million.

The 26-year old Ballard had 6 goals and 15 assists and posted a +7 rating while playing in all 82 games for the Coyotes last season while the 29-year old Boynton had three goals and nine assists in 79 games.

Just announced by Buttman @ the draft as well.

Wasn't referring to you specifically, just wanted to hold off until I saw it with my own eyes.

Thanks for the quick update!

Yeah you bet, I totally get it.

Now that's official, my thoughts:

Jacques Martin has just surpassed Don Waddell as the worst GM in the league. Based on demand and the amount of offers people must have been making, I am positive he could have got a better offer than this.

This is a trade that makes no sense to me. A couple of average defensemen for Jokinen? They could of easily got more but I guess they're hoping to finish at the bottom of the standings next season.

Archived