The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Anaheim Ducks 07-08

roy_133

Guest habsfan#08

Right now they could contend to repeat and defend their title. If Nieds comes back THEN Teemu comes back...thats just not fair... :blink:

Their top 4 d-men would be amazing. Assuming they could fit everyone under the cap

Guest Greek Hab
Right now they could contend to repeat and defend their title.

I guess the same thing can be said about Ottawa dude...6-0 in the pre-season...It's not about how you start the season, it's how you finish it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AlexOscar

With so many good teams in the league, it would be quite the achievement to succesfully defend the title. I don't think it's going to happen, but they'll make the playoffs for sure. Also, it is very hard for them to top last year's performance on ice anyway. Well, duh - they won the Cup. :P

Guest ChriS_HigGinS#1

:blink:

Tonight the Oilers beat the Ducks in the shootout, in Anaheim. The ducks were winning most of the game until they gave up a shorthanded goal to Cogliano with a minute and a half left in the game. The Oilers went on to win the shootout.

I wonder what's wrong with the Ducks this year? I mean it's obvious that losing Niedermeyer and Selanne were huge blows but they still have one of the better teams in the west and certainly better then Edmonton who started Matieu Garon tonight.

Guest 1970 Habs

Generally two things affect the Stanley Cup Champions. The shorter off season coupled with the public appearances required of the Stanley Cup Champs and the fact that as Stanley Cup Champions most teams want to beat them when the come to town to play.

Having said that Ottawa has started off the way they finished last season.

Guest AlexOscar
Generally two things affect the Stanley Cup Champions. The shorter off season coupled with the public appearances required of the Stanley Cup Champs and the fact that as Stanley Cup Champions most teams want to beat them when the come to town to play.

Very true. Being the target team of every other club definitely makes each game harder. But I think they'll rough it out and make the playoffs, and from there on end it's a whole different game again.

Guest habs_fan1160

Does anyone know what the deal is with Selanne? Did he retire? Or not? Is he still considered a Free Agent? Is he playing in a different league?

I haven't heard a peep about him.

Guest habsfan#08
Does anyone know what the deal is with Selanne? Did he retire? Or not? Is he still considered a Free Agent? Is he playing in a different league?

I haven't heard a peep about him.

He's still deciding whether or not to retire. Right now he's in Finland, not skating or training at all. Which leads me to believe he will retire on top. He is in fact a free agent.

Guest habs_fan1160
He's still deciding whether or not to retire. Right now he's in Finland, not skating or training at all. Which leads me to believe he will retire on top. He is in fact a free agent.

Good to know, thanks. I knew he said if he couldn't return to the Ducks he didn't want to play, and by the looks of things they weren't looking to resign him.

It really does look like he decided to retire on top.

Guest AlexOscar
Good to know, thanks. I knew he said if he couldn't return to the Ducks he didn't want to play, and by the looks of things they weren't looking to resign him.

It really does look like he decided to retire on top.

Yeah, and good for him too! On the other hand, the hockey bug might bite again when least expected.

Although I strongly doubt that if he's keeping a sabbath year he will ever return. Now, next Finns in line to hoist the cup are Koivu and Numminen. None deserve it more (at least from Finns, biased here :P )

Guest 1970 Habs
From Stanley Cup Champs to cellar dwellars. What the heck happened to the ducks.

One possible answer:

From Stanley Cup Champs to cellar dwellars. What the heck happened to the ducks.

Selanne: 48 G - 46 A - 94 PTS (1st on the team)

Neidermayer: 15 G - 54 A - 69 PTS (3rd on the team)

Penner: 29 G - 16 A - 45 PTS (2nd on the team in goals)

Take that off any team, add the long playoffs and the trip to England and you have it.

• 3 weeks later...

So... Brian Burke signs Ryan Getzlaf (22 years old) to a new 5 year contract extension worth $26.625 million. Wasn't it the same Burke who lashed at Kevin Lowe for giving "a ridiculous amount of money" (5 years, $21.25 million) to then 25 year old Dustin Penner? Hypocrite! This simply proves that he was just ticked off that Lowe caught him with his pants down! Shame on your Burke! <_<

Oh and the news about Getzlaf's contract...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2007...f-contract.html

So... Brian Burke signs Ryan Getzlaf (22 years old) to a new 5 year contract extension worth $26.625 million. Wasn't it the same Burke who lashed at Kevin Lowe for giving "a ridiculous amount of money" (5 years, $21.25 million) to then 25 year old Dustin Penner? Hypocrite! This simply proves that he was just ticked off that Lowe caught him with his pants down! Shame on your Burke! <_<

Oh and the news about Getzlaf's contract...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2007...f-contract.html

Well I think this is exactly why Burke was mad in the first place, once Penner got that contract he knew it would raise the bar for all players around that age, and Getzlaf is a much better hockey player than Penner. This, to me, is just proof that what Lowe did was, in fact, raise the going price for pending RFAs.

Guest habsfan#08

Well the two contracts are explaining themselves right now. Getzlaf is getting over a ppg. Penner has under 0.5 ppg. Getzlaf is the 1st line center, Penner has problems staying on the 2nd line.

Well the two contracts are explaining themselves right now. Getzlaf is getting over a ppg. Penner has under 0.5 ppg. Getzlaf is the 1st line center, Penner has problems staying on the 2nd line.

Well that's exactly it, and like Burke said Lowe's contract to Penner sets the market for players in a similar situation (Guys who aren't eligible to be a UFA.)

What's Burke going to do? If he doesn't pay he'll lose the player, in this case a very good one.

This is where desperate GMs like Lowe totally mess up the market and make life difficult on every other GM.

Some kid told me Selanne retired. He's a pretty reliable source, he works at a hockey card store, but I haven't heard anything else about it.

They should have more kids in card stores on TSN's expert panels IMO. ;)

Any real sources on Selanne's status?

Well I think this is exactly why Burke was mad in the first place, once Penner got that contract he knew it would raise the bar for all players around that age, and Getzlaf is a much better hockey player than Penner. This, to me, is just proof that what Lowe did was, in fact, raise the going price for pending RFAs.

I think Burke is the pot calling the kettle black! He's just ticked that he's lost a top prospect and is afraid of losing another one not to salary as much as to the RFA rule.

I think Burke is the pot calling the kettle black! He's just ticked that he's lost a top prospect and is afraid of losing another one not to salary as much as to the RFA rule.

It could very well be an ulterior motive for his angry comments. Although I don't understand your point of him being afraid of losing another player to the RFA rule rather than salary, he has a chance to match whatever offer anyone makes one of his RFAs, so it's totally a matter of salary. That's the fear, someone (A desperate GM like Lowe) offers one of your RFAs a ludicrous salary.

Either way, like I said, you maybe right about his ulterior motives, but what he said made total sense, by Lowe being desperate he inflated the market for all RFAs and now all other 29 GMs will have to suffer for it.

Also I don't think he's THAT mad about the loss of Penner, because he had the option of keeping Penner, he said his main problem was that it inflates the market for guys like Perry and Getzlaf. He could have easily cut salary and kept Penner if Penner was that important to him and that team. However the Oilers either grossly overrated Penner, or simply wanted desperately to make a move and save face after the Nylander and Vanek debacles.

It could very well be an ulterior motive for his angry comments. Although I don't understand your point of him being afraid of losing another player to the RFA rule rather than salary, he has a chance to match whatever offer anyone makes one of his RFAs, so it's totally a matter of salary. That's the fear, someone (A desperate GM like Lowe) offers one of your RFAs a ludicrous salary.

Either way, like I said, you maybe right about his ulterior motives, but what he said made total sense, by Lowe being desperate he inflated the market for all RFAs and now all other 29 GMs will have to suffer for it.

Also I don't think he's THAT made about the loss of Penner, because he had the option of keeping Penner, he said his main problem was that it inflates the market for guys like Perry and Getzlaf. He could have easily cut salary and kept Penner if Penner was that important to him and that team. However the Oilers either grossly overrated Penner, or simply wanted desperately to make a move and save face after the Nylander and Vanek debacles.

My last words on this about Burke... Desperate times call for desperate measures. ;)

Archived