The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Atlanta Thrashers 07-08

roy_133

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RedLightRacicot
Will they be able to re-sign Hossa? Can they afford Kovalchuk as well under their self-imposed cap?

You gotta think one of them is on the way out!

Guest Greek Hab

"Atlanta Thrashers' head coach Bob Hartley has been fired. Sources tell TSN general manger Don Waddell will be behind the bench on an interim basis until a new coach can be found. Details to follow..." - TSN

Guest Waiting for Cup 25

Along with firing the head coach, what are the chances that changes will be made to their lineup? I see some trades out of ATL here on the horizon...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest 1970 Habs

Atlanta is probably the second hottest team in the NHL (behind the Rangers).

After starting the season 2-8-0 they are 8-2-0 with Kolvachuk laeding the way.

I think they may have turn things around.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest devils_fury2

Good luck to Mark Recchi, who was picked up by the Thrashers on re-entry waivers......if nothing else he'll add depth to a already solid core of offensive players and he will also bring a ton of leadership...

• 1 month later...
Guest Sashaband

disgusting...i'm watching the atlanta/pittsburgh game and ruutu just demolished kovalchuk with a knee hit. The play was clearly offside but he took the free hit knowing who it was. Absolutely horrible.

disgusting...i'm watching the atlanta/pittsburgh game and ruutu just demolished kovalchuk with a knee hit. The play was clearly offside but he took the free hit knowing who it was. Absolutely horrible.

And Kovalchuk tried to make another presence but after that, he never came back. Doesn't seem like good news to me.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering how some of you guys view the Hossa situation from an outside perspective. He has been quoted in the paper down here as saying there is a slim chance he resigns before the deadline. Should he get traded, or kept with the hope of support in the playoffs?

Guest Serge Aubin

As a Thrashers fan, I'll give my opinion.

Hossa will not re-sign in Atlanta. Eric Belanger was spot on when he said that the franchise is unstable. The management is a bunch of *****, and Don Waddell could not construct a winning team to save his life. Therefore, Hossa must be traded. IMO, Hossa should be traded for a 2nd tier center, and a good defensive prospect that can jump into the line-up as early as next year.

Besides...Hossa hasn't even been that great this year.

Guest halifax_habs

Hossa will not re-sign in Atlanta. Eric Belanger was spot on when he said that the franchise is unstable. The management is a bunch of *****, and Don Waddell could not construct a winning team to save his life. Therefore, Hossa must be traded. IMO, Hossa should be traded for a 2nd tier center, and a good defensive prospect that can jump into the line-up as early as next year.

We'll take him off your hands ;)

Hossa's got explosive offensive talent and we need another proven scorer. I think he'd bounce back nicely in Montreal.

Agree with the need for defensemen. Enstrom and Havelid are the only defensemen who are positive, and Enstrom is barely. Do agree with Halifax though, Hossa is a huge presence in the lineup even with an off year. Believe it is too risky to not resign before the deadline though, so I bet he gets traded.

• 2 months later...
Guest 1970 Habs

The 2007-08 Season

The 2007-08 season ended too soon for the Atlanta Thrashers, and while there was a great deal of disappointment over missing the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the season had its share of bright spots, including the emergence of rookie sensation Toby Enstrom (above), Ilya Kovalchuk's continued dominance over NHL goalies and Kari Lehtonen's career-best save percentage.

Here in a nutshell are some memorable and interesting statistics and accomplishments from the past season.

TEAM NUMBERS

20-9-5: The Thrashers' record when scoring first. They were 14-31-3 when opponents scored first.

279: How many more shots Atlanta's opponents got off in the first period, when they outscored the Thrashers 75-55. Last year Atlanta was out-shot by 96 shots in the first and held their opponents to a draw (73 goals apiece).

6-4-0: The Thrashers record when out-shooting opponents, perhaps most noteworthy because of its infrequency.

24-33-8: The Thrashers record when out-shot. Last season they were 27-12-9.

18-14: Atlanta's record in games decided by one goal.

15-15-2: The Thrashers' record against the Southeast Division. Last season, when they won the division, they went 18-7-7.

29-34-8: The Thrashers' record against the Eastern Conference. Last season Atlanta was 41-21-10 against the East.

8: The number of Thrashers who made their NHL debuts this season (the franchise record is 12, set in 2001-02). Those making their debuts this season were Tobias Enstrom, Bryan Little, Colin Stuart, Brett Sterling, Jordan LaVallee, Kevin Doell, Boris Valabik and Ondrej Pavelec.

6: the number of players who scored the first goals of their NHL careers this season (Enstrom, Little, Stuart, Sterling, LaVallee and Darren Haydar).

13: The number of short-handed goals scored by the Thrashers this season, tying the franchise record.

INDIVIDUAL NUMBERS

4: The number of shutouts Kari Lehtonen posted in 2007-08, matching his single-season best and extending his franchise record to 11.

21: The number of saves Lehtonen made in the first period of the Feb. 21 game at Carolina, one off the franchise record set by Milan Hnlicka in the first period on Nov. 18, 2001, at the New York Rangers.

.916: Lehtonen's franchise-best save percentage, beating his previous mark of .912.

52: The number of goals Kovy scored in 2007-08, matching his franchise record set in 2005-06.

24: The number of goals Ilya scored in the third period. Only Washington's Alexander Ovechkin had more (27). Atlanta tallied 77 third-period goals, meaning Kovalchuk accounted for 31.2 percent of the team's third-period output.

40: The minimum number of goals Ilya Kovalchuk has scored in each of the last four seasons. No other player can make that claim.

254/93: The number of goals and power-play goals Kovalchuk has scored since 2001-02. No player has scored more in that time.

3/10: The three hat tricks Kovalchuk had in 2007-08 are a franchise record. He now has 10 for his career. The franchise has a total of 24.

8/10: The number of shorthanded assists and shorthanded points center Eric Perrin scored in 2007-08, both are franchise records.

40/53: The number of points scored and games played with the Thrashers by Mark Recchi who joined the team in December.

38/24:28: The number of points and time on ice per game for rookie defenseman Tobias Enstrom, both tops among NHL rookies. His 38 points tied the single-season franchise record for points by a defenseman and included a franchise-best 33 assists.

27: The number of seconds short Enstrom was from tying the franchise single-game record for time on ice, when he skated 33:39 on March 7 against Minnesota.

191: The number of consecutive games played by Bobby Holik, a streak that's still alive. The second-longest current streak by a Thrasher is 121 by Slava Kozlov.

877: The number of faceoffs won by Bobby Holik- a franchise record for a single season.

58.4: Bobby Holik's faceoff winning percentage, also a franchise record.

8: The career-high points/assists streak put together by center Todd White from from Dec. 27 through Jan. 10.

17: The number of points right wing Chris Thorburn scored in 72 games in 2007-08 (5G-12A). He entered the season with a total of six (3G-3A) in 41 career games.

Source: http://thrashers.nhl.com/team/app/?service...rticleid=360540

• 1 month later...

Archived