The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Pittsburgh Penguins 07-08

roy_133

Guest habs_fan1160

Here's a team I think will be our next "big rival", last season it started to really heat up between the two teams and this season it was pretty heated in exhibition.

Not that I have a problem with the Pens being our rivals, I really dislike them.

Guest J Haul
I for one can't wait for these two playing each other this season.

Their games are always exciting to watch.

I for one can't wait to see Crosby break his leg. Maybe throw in Malkin and Staal too. ;)

Guest lfrommtl

i cant stand this team anymore.

full of bandwagon fans you just wanna strangle because they never shut up.

i love some of the players, (staal, malkin)

but ill boo these guys whenever i can, except crosby he deserves respect

Guest HabsFanInPitt27
i cant stand this team anymore.

full of bandwagon fans you just wanna strangle because they never shut up.

i love some of the players, (staal, malkin)

but ill boo these guys whenever i can, except crosby he deserves respect

Not all of us who likes this team are bandwagoners.

I liked this team back in the late 90s and had to suffer through the crappy team they had from 2002-2005.

I for one can't wait to see Crosby break his leg. Maybe throw in Malkin and Staal too. ;)

Haha very funny.

Guest habs_fan1160
I for one can't wait for these two playing each other this season.

Their games are always exciting to watch.

I second that. The games are exciting to watch, especially now that they seem to have built up an on the ice and off the ice rivarly.

My biggest problem with the Pens is that they've always used one player and tried to ride their fame to make them seem like a more appealing team.

I'm not taking anything away from Mario because that guy was a legand, but they rode the fame of Mario for years and years, even after he retired and now it's the same thing with Crosby.

To me it's just annoying that when you think of the Pens you automatically think of Mario and Crosby, really who else was there?

Jagr would be a part of that too if he didn't leave the team.

But when you think of Habs history, it's hard to stop at a list of 100 players who made the team what they are today.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RedLightRacicot
I second that. The games are exciting to watch, especially now that they seem to have built up an on the ice and off the ice rivarly.

My biggest problem with the Pens is that they've always used one player and tried to ride their fame to make them seem like a more appealing team.

I'm not taking anything away from Mario because that guy was a legand, but they rode the fame of Mario for years and years, even after he retired and now it's the same thing with Crosby.

To me it's just annoying that when you think of the Pens you automatically think of Mario and Crosby, really who else was there?

But when you think of Habs history, it's hard to stop at a list of 100 players who made the team what they are today.

What can you say there a few star's like Mario or Crosby and I'm sure people accuse us of riding the Rocket Richard or Guy Lafleur train too much. Yeah, there's no comparison with the two franchises but you see how people could get annoyed by are hype even if it is justified. I thought the Pittsburgh team that won the two straight cups iced a pretty good team full of decent veteran players, Ron Francis, Joe Mullen, Tom Barasso and Paul Coffey just to name a few. No doubt Mario and Crosby have helped put Pittsburgh on a higher pedestal than they deserve.

Guest Greek Hab

Well, I have no idea how Crosby is going to get over 100pts with the likes of Recchi and Laraque on Sid's wings...? I know this lineup wasn't in production for the whole game, but I saw it a few times.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest 1970 Habs

I must say your comparison of Montreal and Pittsburg is like comparing apples and oranges. A little history is in order here to make my point.

Montreal first off is a much older franchise (nearly 100 years old) and in its early years the organization had a stranglehold on obtaining amateur players out of Quebec. It was not until the draft was instituted in 1963 (almost 45 years after Montreal came into existence - about the same age as Pittsburg is now) that a system was put in place to provide an equal opportunity for each team to acquire amateur players. However at the time most of the junior players were already signed by one of the six NHL teams. So it really was not until 1966 that the draft had players that were unsigned by any of the teams. Hence it was in essence the first real draft where players were equally available to teams.

The Pittsburg Penguins on the other hand as an expansion team entered the league in the 1967/68 season and had to build an organization from the ground up mainly through trades and the draft. They are now only 40 years old (slightly younger than Montreal at the time the draft was created) and have not have the luxury the Habs did in their first 45 years (of having exclusive access to players in the Quebec Amateur Leagues).

Two different eras with their own set of rules. Hence my apple to oranges comparison. This, coupled with the fact that there are almost 30 teams is one reason I believe you will never again see any dynasties.

Shouldn't the topic name be "Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins"?

That's all I ever hear anymore when the media is refering to the Penguins. It's getting pretty annoying.

Guest 1970 Habs

The real problem is secondary scoring.

Only Crosby, Malkin, Gonchar, Sykora and Malone are getting any real points.

However before the last game against Phily it looked like they were turning things around.

• 3 weeks later...
Hottest Team in the NHL right now with 15 wins in their last 20 games.

these young punks are starting to bother me, especially if they take home ice away from us in the playoffs... ;)

seriously though, another multi-goal game for malkin last night?! man, is that kid good.

Guest 1970 Habs
these young punks are starting to bother me, especially if they take home ice away from us in the playoffs... ;)

seriously though, another multi-goal game for malkin last night?! man, is that kid good.

I will think about making the playoffs first before I start worrying about home ice. :lol:

Also, home ice has not been kind to the Habs this season.

Guest shamrun
Hottest Team in the NHL right now with 15 wins in their last 20 games.

It's all from the goaltending. Conklin has been the main reason why the penguins can fly now. But i dont buy in the hype. Once he starts slipping, the team will look like they did when fleury was in nets

Archived