The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

State Of The Habs 2007 - 2008

tmash

I thought I'd remake this thread from last season. Basically it's a place to discuss the Habs in the standings, as a team. So if there's something you want to post about the team as a whole that isn't specific to any player, coach, etc., place it in here.

Guest Blockoman

The Habs are looking pretty good right now, but Kovalev really needs to step up this year. Getting a bit fed up of his lack of heart on the ice. Also, was it really wise to send Lapierre down to the AHL and keep Murray, who only got 3 points in 42 games last year and doesn't exactly seem to be a physical presence?

Guest concreteveins

I like this years roster. I believe that it is better than last year, and I do not know why it seems like everyone is pegging this team for a massive slide in the standings.

If you think about it the players we lost in the offseason were replaced by better, SMARTER and more consistent players. Hamrlik may not be able to replace Souray's shot but will he have a better plus/minus? Can he still quarterback a powerplay? Does he hit and or fight? Is he a better all-round defenseman? The answers to these questions is all yes.

Smolinski is in the same boat. He better than bonk no doubt and now we have an option to replace Johnson with Chipchura/Kostopolous and Lapierre.

And what about if there is an injury to Huet again? Do the Habs have abby to lead them down that losing streak again? No we have Price AND Halak.

What about if there is an injury to any of the forwards or defensemen? Does this organization have the ability to really back it up? YES.

The point is that the Habs are a team and that they do not have a bunch of superstars with no chemistry piled up to their ears. They are gonna be hard to play against and they have a great mixture of youngsters and veterans. They have the ability to come anywhere between 4th and 8th in the east. I say that for sure they make the playoffs. What happens from there is a long time from now.

I gotta a lot of faith in this team and I am expecting good things to come from this year. Even if they dont make the playoffs we have plenty of promise.

Just a reminder > The Habs PP was number one in the league last year. Yes their PP is going to take a hit without Souray, but was their pp so successful ONLY because of Souray? Or did Markov/Koivu/Ryder/Higgins and others compliment Souray on his ability to get his shot to the net? Think about it...will Souray ever get a 19+ goal season on the PP in the next five years? I seriously doubt that happening in Edmonton.

Guest ggoubk
The Habs are looking pretty good right now, but Kovalev really needs to step up this year. Getting a bit fed up of his lack of heart on the ice. Also, was it really wise to send Lapierre down to the AHL and keep Murray, who only got 3 points in 42 games last year and doesn't exactly seem to be a physical presence?

I'm sick of the Lap-Garth compairison...Lap is more of a Tootoo type player, where Garth will drop the golves for the team no matter what. That said, i love both players. Maybe Lappy can take Begin's place on the roster instead, seeing as he is an overrated "Heart" player.

I'm looking forward to seeing Kovy, Grabs and Kosti on the same line...seems almost like a top line but isnt.. so they shouldnt play the shut down line of other teams which makes for more goals for our Habs.

Lets go boys!

Guest scarface
also don't forget the SH goals dept as well :rolleyes: we need to have at least 2 consistent lines scoring this year. i'm not worried bout the tending or the D,its the offense issue again. lets hope we don't fall in a coma again.

I was looking at the player profiles and was surprised to find out that the team isn't as small this season infact the average size I would say is around 6 ft and 205.I know thats not huge but for an average thats not bad at all.Even Bouillon is only 5ft8 but over 200lbs that guy must be a tank.Then you have quite a few guys 6ft2 and above and 210 plus.Could this be the end of the habs being pushed around?

I was looking at the player profiles and was surprised to find out that the team isn't as small this season infact the average size I would say is around 6 ft and 205.I know thats not huge but for an average thats not bad at all.Even Bouillon is only 5ft8 but over 200lbs that guy must be a tank.Then you have quite a few guys 6ft2 and above and 210 plus.Could this be the end of the habs being pushed around?

Nice observation. I think the team has been quietly getting bigger for a few seasons now, though public perception is still that we are a bunch of smurfs. Koivu being our captain probably doesn't help in that regard. :P

Guest jzun00

I think the best word to address this topic is refreshed!

I think the youngsters that the Habs have kept up has given me a lot of optimism for the upcoming season - Grabovski adds offense (something we lacked last year), but also spent a lot of time with A.Kostitsyn tearing up the AHL; Chipchura - brings in a sound defensive game but also added to that is the fact that he wins faceoffs, which was another thing this team got dominated in last year; and then there is Carey Price whom brings in a lot hope in that if Huet fails maybe Price has a Roy like season in his rookie year and restores some of the Montreal glory.

Obviously I am putting a lot of hope in three youngsters but it is these changes that have refreshed my outlook on the upcoming season.

We will see though.

Guest bigsby
I think the best word to address this topic is refreshed!

I think the youngsters that the Habs have kept up has given me a lot of optimism for the upcoming season - Grabovski adds offense (something we lacked last year), but also spent a lot of time with A.Kostitsyn tearing up the AHL; Chipchura - brings in a sound defensive game but also added to that is the fact that he wins faceoffs, which was another thing this team got dominated in last year; and then there is Carey Price whom brings in a lot hope in that if Huet fails maybe Price has a Roy like season in his rookie year and restores some of the Montreal glory.

Obviously I am putting a lot of hope in three youngsters but it is these changes that have refreshed my outlook on the upcoming season.

We will see though.

i'm not ready to jump on price as the saviour - not yet at leat - but otherwise i like your optimism, and i agree that all three players will make a difference (i'm not against keeping price, i'm just going to keep my expectations to a minimum until i've seen him play a regular season game. that, and i have a lot of faith in huet).

with the young guys coming up, and these are some talented players filling those spots, and the vets who are still young and improving, i like what i see. i'm always optimistic about the season but i like the look of our team. as i've said before, i think we're a better team this year. now if only a forward can start putting the puck in the net consistently i'll be even more optimistic than i am now.

Guest habfan in leafland
I'm sick of the Lap-Garth compairison...Lap is more of a Tootoo type player, where Garth will drop the golves for the team no matter what. That said, i love both players. Maybe Lappy can take Begin's place on the roster instead, seeing as he is an overrated "Heart" player.

I'm looking forward to seeing Kovy, Grabs and Kosti on the same line...seems almost like a top line but isnt.. so they shouldnt play the shut down line of other teams which makes for more goals for our Habs.

Lets go boys!

I'm sick of our "enforcer" getting KO'd all the time... ;)

Good first game, glad to get the win .... but, while our PP still did well, we were once again in the minus column overall. But it's just one game and good to get the win.
A little tough on the team... one even strength goal against and though Huet was outstanding he was given full view of the shot and should have had it.

Good first game, glad to get the win .... but, while our PP still did well, we were once again in the minus column overall. But it's just one game and good to get the win.

if not for Wards Patrick Roy impression we would have be in the plus column. Once they stop gripping the sticks so tight the goals will come

A little tough on the team... one even strength goal against and though Huet was outstanding he was given full view of the shot and should have had it.

if not for Wards Patrick Roy impression we would have be in the plus column. Once they stop gripping the sticks so tight the goals will come

As long as they come. And maybe it's being too hard on them, but even strength play was their downfall last season, and hopefully soon we will see that turn around.

As long as they come. And maybe it's being too hard on them, but even strength play was their downfall last season, and hopefully soon we will see that turn around.

Had it not been from Huet's weak goal, everyone would be even.

when we were at even strength they boys looked good, but it seemed for every 2 minutes of even stength we played 2 a man short.

Also IMO a sign our overall play is improving is the number of shots we had. Last season we always seemed to be out shot.

Had it not been from Huet's weak goal, everyone would be even.

Well it would be an improvement on the defensive end of things, still lacking offense, but hopefully that comes soon

when we were at even strength they boys looked good, but it seemed for every 2 minutes of even stength we played 2 a man short.

Also IMO a sign our overall play is improving is the number of shots we had. Last season we always seemed to be out shot.

Yes that was good. Now let's make them count. I honestly don't know what to expect from this team, there's the potential to be a top four team, but also the potential to be really bad.

Nice observation. I think the team has been quietly getting bigger for a few seasons now, though public perception is still that we are a bunch of smurfs. Koivu being our captain probably doesn't help in that regard. :P

Well not just Koivu as a captain, but also as a center. We now have Koivu, Grabvoski, and Plekanek as our top 3 centers. I really wish we had a bit more size in there. I'm also shocked Smolinski was moved to RW when he could at least add some size.

At the end of the 1st game, one big thing remains flagrant : we gotta stay disciplined and stay out of the box.
Rookie Refs with a qucik whistle will do that sometimes... though there were some obvious infractions that needed to be called... oh and that dumb delay of game penalty doesn't help... Breezer was really not lucky on his penalty.

This game is a carbon-copy of the way we were playing down the stretch last season. Hard work, good defensive play which generates turnovers and offense. We outshot the Canes 40-31 in this one, with the opposition getting the bulk of their shots in a penalty filled first period.

I'm happy with the effort displayed tonight and the input from the new players on the team. It's too early to tell just how much we've improved, but I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

Guest fansince1975

I would take the 2 points every day.

I think it would be nice to see Chips and Gorges in the line-up on Saturday. I was not overly impressed with Bouillon, Begin, Brisebois, Dandenault, and Lats. They did not play horrible but Chips and Gorges should be inserted into the Saturday line-up against the Leafs. I would suggest Chips replace Begin in the lineup and Gorges replace Bouillon. Dandenault could drop back to defence if required.

I would also suggest that Chips, Pleks, and Smoke would be a great two way line. Three centers on one line with tons of defensively ability and a good amount of offensive talent. Could be nightmares for the opposition top line that is not defensive aware.

I think that Lats has to work hard and hit more people. Yes, he has good hands and can score but at his age he should have lots of energy and use his size. If he plays hard he will see time with the top line and/or PP. Otherwise he will remain a 4th line player this season or worse a player in Hamilton.

I honestly think Montreal can make the playoffs this year. The eight teams that made the playoffs last year will have a tough time repeating the feat two years in a row. Montreal is better then Islanders which made the playoffs last year. Montreal is better then Devils especially with the loss of Gomez and Rafalski to free agency. Montreal is better then Altanta though they get to play a lot of weak teams so they might make the playoffs from free points. The Flyers are predicted to make the playoffs which is still in my opinion not a sure thing as they added so many players that they may not gel. Buffalo is far less powerful though they will make the playoffs it might be easier to get points from them head to head. To make the playoffs the 8th place team will require around 95 points. With overtime the team will need to win around 44 games and 7 overtime points. I think this is possible.

Critially important that Montreal wins more games against Toronto, Ottawa, Boston, and Buffalo as these games are all in effect 4 point games. They play 32 games against these teams. With ties giving the losing team a point. Montreal needs to get 42 out of 64 maximum points (the 10 extra points help cover the head to head games that go to overtime). It would be really good if they get the first 2 points on Saturday without overtime.

82 games minus 32 games equals 50 games against non-division teams. So if Montreal got 50 points out of 100 points they would not make the playoffs. Montreal needs to make more points against the weaker teams. It is not easy to make the playoffs with only 8 of 15 teams making the playoffs but a lot of the teams are not as good as Montreal therefore the points should be possible. And stop giving games to the Devils. Brodeur is from Montreal but he is killing the Montreal team. Put the puck past him. It is possible to beat the Devils. Montreal needs those points.

Archived