The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Special Teams - 2007/08 Season

Cenner_Hice

Guest Cenner Hice

A thread in which we can discuss this season's special teams.

The last two seasons finished with the Habs near or at the top on the PP.

2006/07:

Power Play - 1st

Penatly Kill - 13th

2005/06:

Power Play - 5th

Penalty Kill - 21st

After the first game of the season, we're 2nd on the PP (behind Dallas who scored on 2 out of 3 opportunities in their first game) and 4th on the PK. Will this last? (Ok, there have only been 6 games featuring 9 teams to date).

One challenge I set is to mention special teams without using the word Souray. ;)

Guest Handlanger
A thread in which we can discuss this season's special teams.

The last two seasons finished with the Habs near or at the top on the PP.

2006/07:

Power Play - 1st

Penatly Kill - 13th

2005/06:

Power Play - 5th

Penalty Kill - 21st

After the first game of the season, we're 2nd on the PP (behind Dallas who scored on 2 out of 3 opportunities in their first game) and 4th on the PK. Will this last? (Ok, there have only been 6 games featuring 9 teams to date).

One challenge I set is to mention special teams without using the word Souray. ;)

I like it so far. My boy Streit was everywhere at PP :-)

PP: looked great once we gained the zone but really struggled to get into the zone all night long. One thing I noticed when Kovalev is the puck-carrier: he can gain entry and set up effortlessly, but his teammates have got to start positioning themselves better when he has the puck. There was at least one occasion when Kovy carried the puck all the way in to the half-wall and chipped the puck to where he expected another winger to be, only to find that winger trailing him on the play! The result was that Carolina got the puck instead and cleared the zone. We have to be smarter in our entry.

PK: Did a great job but they have to bury those chances to clear the zone with powerful banked shots off the boards or well-timed shots up the ice. They also need to be quicker to the puck and play the point men more aggressively.

Guest Captain Koivu#11
I like it so far. My boy Streit was everywhere at PP :-)

Yes, he played very well against the Canes. He has a great point shot too!

Guest Captain Koivu#11
if streit still fire that kind of slapshot,i don't think will miss souray that much!! B)

I guess the challenge of not mentioning the word Souray in this thread stops at the third post lol.

IMO special teams will still play a big part in a team's success this season. I don't mind the Habs PP/PK being tops in the league... though I would prefer the quantity of PP's to far exceed the PK's... it would mean the Habs would be the team forcing the play and drawing penalties rather than the other way around.

I also think it would be more beneficial to leave forward lines together for the PP (chemistry should be better... no?)

Guest HabsfanfromtheROCK
Our PP was great on wednesday but i really think they should go with Higgins Pleks and Ryder as a PP unit. That worked great in preseason.

And what would be our other one? Kovalev-Koivu- ?

Guest KovalevMTL
I would love that. :-) But beating Shelly's record is pretty hard.

25 to go.....81 games to do it. Seems in Streits favor. Good luck Streit you can pull this off.

Guest JIMVINNY
no clue why kostopoulos is on the power play that is total nonsense

It was only at the very end of a couple of the powerplays, when toronto was preparing to send out its top line. It was just carbo being a little proactive, and having his defensive line ready to go before their top line hit the ice. It wasn't anything of consequence.

As far as special teams go, based on what I saw in TO, Kovalev should be the guy blasting from the point with Markov, Hamrlik and Streit can man up the second unit.

Unit 1:

Ryder - Koivu - Kostitsyn

Markov - Kovalev

Unit 2:

Latendresse - Plekanec - Higgins

Hamrlik - Streit

I'd like to see that for a few games

Guest Cenner Hice

Ok so far. In 4th on the PP and 15th on the PK.

I haven't seen any games yet (but that's the disadvantage of living in the UK). So I can only go on stats and game reviews.

Still, my general feeling is that, again, we'll be there or thereabouts. The advantage of Carbo et al.

Saku on 2 PPG and Markov on 1 SHG:

Anyone want to argue about the merits of our captain? Bring it on.

When will #21 score his first SHG (his speciality at the start of last season - admittedly he then fell off. But still...)?

As far as special teams go, based on what I saw in TO, Kovalev should be the guy blasting from the point with Markov, Hamrlik and Streit can man up the second unit.

Unit 1:

Ryder - Koivu - Kostitsyn

Markov - Kovalev

Unit 2:

Latendresse - Plekanec - Higgins

Hamrlik - Streit

I'd like to see that for a few games

Quite frankly I think Streit needs to be kept on the first unit right now (and see bonus time with the second). Latendresse hasn't really earned his spot on the PP yet (as that seems to be a common philosophy of the coaching staff).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest St. B. Voyageur

I just wanted to ask, given that I have only watched 2 of the first 8 games (the others I listened to on the radio), why is our PK so bad early on? We have the best coach for the PK in my opinion, some solid D men (in our big 3 at least), and some forwards such as Smolinski, Dandenault, Begin, and Chipchura who seem aptly suited to killing penalties. For those of you who have watched more games than I, I would appreciate your feedback, since nothing I have seen so far stands out as to why we are rather ineffective shorthanded.

I just wanted to ask, given that I have only watched 2 of the first 8 games (the others I listened to on the radio), why is our PK so bad early on? We have the best coach for the PK in my opinion, some solid D men (in our big 3 at least), and some forwards such as Smolinski, Dandenault, Begin, and Chipchura who seem aptly suited to killing penalties. For those of you who have watched more games than I, I would appreciate your feedback, since nothing I have seen so far stands out as to why we are rather ineffective shorthanded.

From what I've noticed, we seem quite vulnerable when the opposition uses the umbrella PP setup, with one man at the point and two at the top of the face-off circles... We don't seem to know who to cover, with the exception of when Chara was on the ice where we had one guy dedicated to him.

20041104154638933_3.jpg

In order to defend against that successfully, you need 4 very mobile players on the ice who can cover a lot of ground, sort of like when you have a two men disadvantage. So that excludes Komi right off the bat.

Archived