The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Yannick Weber

Guest 1970 Habs

Pardon me but that is incorrect a player just needs to be 18 to play in the AHL.

I quote the following e-mail I received from the AHL:

"Thanks for writing. As far as the AHL is concerned, a player must be 18

years old by September 15 of the season in question in order to be eligible

to play in the league.

There are other eligibility rules established by the National Hockey League

and the Canadian Hockey League. You would need to contact one of those

leagues for the details.

Thanks again for writing, and for your support of the AHL.

================

Jason Chaimovitch

Vice President of Communications,

American Hockey League

info@theahl.com"

John Doe off the street being 18 yrs or older could play in the AHL. Players with agreements like in the CHL and NHL couldn't, but my point is that at the age of 18 you can play in the AHL.

He's not telling the whole story here. It may not be a league rule, but there is an agreement between the NHL, the CHL and the AHL restricting the age to 20 if a player's rights are owned by an NHL team. An undrafted player could play in the AHL under the age of 20. This rule is there to protect the CHL as they would lose too many players to the AHL otherwise. ;)

I believe I recall reading that if a player belongs to any junior team in the CHL, then he must wait until his tenure is up in juniors to play in the AHL. As JL mentioned, it's for the protection of such programs.

However, to clarify, drafted players can still play in the AHL at 18, provided that they don't play junior hockey in the CHL. They could play in another country, or for a college/University, or anything else, and be elligible to play in the AHL at 18.

Guest FREDDYBEACH HAB
I believe I recall reading that if a player belongs to any junior team in the CHL, then he must wait until his tenure is up in juniors to play in the AHL. As JL mentioned, it's for the protection of such programs.

However, to clarify, drafted players can still play in the AHL at 18, provided that they don't play junior hockey in the CHL. They could play in another country, or for a college/University, or anything else, and be elligible to play in the AHL at 18.

Good point, all I was trying to show is that you can be 18 and play in the AHL. That being said Weber won't be in the AHL until he is done in the CHL.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 1970 Habs

After 23 games Webber is second in defencemen scoring in the OHL.

He has 12 goals 18 assists (30 points) 35 PIM

I found this on the French Board and thought I would bring it over :

Dans le cahier des sports de La Presse d'aujourd'hui, il est suggéré que le Canadiens était heureux qe ce joueur soit encore disponible et ils pensent que c'est à cause de sa nationalité et de son gabarit qu'il était encore disponible.

Tant mieux pour nous :lol:

I can understand most of it and was wondering if anyone could translate it. Thanks.

I found this on the French Board and thought I would bring it over :

I can understand most of it and was wondering if anyone could translate it. Thanks.

In today's Sports section in LaPresse, it was said that the Canadiens were happy that Weber was still on the board at the time and they think it was because of his nationality and his size.

Guest 1970 Habs
In today's Sports section in LaPresse, it was said that the Canadiens were happy that Weber was still on the board at the time and they think it was because of his nationality and his size.

Thanks AK.

I guess my french is rustier than I thought. :blink:

Guest .scott.

For those who get the Canadiens Magazine, there is a 2-page article on him from page 63-64.

Good article too.

Glad he's doing well in the OHL. Hope to see him play once again in the future.

Guest 1970 Habs

Though I am a little late with this Weber was the OHL Defenceman of the Month for October.

"Yannick Weber of the Kitchener Rangers was the OHL's top scoring blueliner during the month of October with seven goals and 12 assists for 19 points in 11 games. The 19-year-old sophomore from Bern, Switzerland recorded at least one point in all but two games last month, including three-point games against the Erie Otters on October 5 and 24th and against the London Knights on October 28. He totaled six goals and 14 points during a seven game streak that ended on October 28.

Weber, a third round pick of the Montreal Canadiens in the NHL Entry Draft in June, was the OHL and CHL player of the week for the last week in October."

Source: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/hm/inside.php?id=4296

Guest devils_fury2

He scored 2 goals last night as Kitchener beat the Knights 4-3 in OT.....I like this guy he has a really heavy shot from the pointAlso I would like to add that even though the guy is going to miss a few games while playing at the WJC he should still easily hit the 25 to 30 goal mark at the rate he's going....pretty good even by CHL standards

That is an important distinction people need to make. It's not that you can't - it's just very rare.

- Canadian players are mostly under CHL contract still and not eligible

- European players usually stay in Europe a couple years after being drafted

- American players usually go to college for a year or two after being drafted

So not technically against AHL rules, just highly unlikely

--------

Anyways, I saw Weber play last week - wasn't his best game, but you could see his skill. He has a lot of skill there, just seemed to have trouble putting it all together to amount to anything.

Guest overlords
That is an important distinction people need to make. It's not that you can't - it's just very rare.

- Canadian players are mostly under CHL contract still and not eligible

- European players usually stay in Europe a couple years after being drafted

- American players usually go to college for a year or two after being drafted

So not technically against AHL rules, just highly unlikely

--------

Anyways, I saw Weber play last week - wasn't his best game, but you could see his skill. He has a lot of skill there, just seemed to have trouble putting it all together to amount to anything.

sounds like grabs

Guest 1970 Habs

Second in the OHL for defenceman, has 11 multiple point games, has scored 13 PPGs, 2 GWGs, is a plus 7 despite playing the power play and won OHL Defenceman of the Month for October.

If he is not going to amount to anything then I guess there must be some weak defencemen in the OHL.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 1970 Habs

Yannick Weber (Captain of the Swiss Team) recorded another assist at the World Juniors in the relegation game against Denmark and finished the tournament with 1 goal and 4 assists (5 pts) in 6 games.

He is currently tied for 1st in pts among defencemen at the tournament.

Despite being on a weak Switzerland team Montreal should be pleased with his performance.

Now it is back to Kitchener where hopefully he can win an OHL and Memorial Cup Championship! :D

Guest 1970 Habs
Yannick Weber (Captain of the Swiss Team) recorded another assist at the World Juniors in the relegation game against Denmark and finished the tournament with 1 goal and 4 assists (5 pts) in 6 games.

He is currently tied for 1st in pts among defencemen at the tournament.

Despite being on a weak Switzerland team Montreal should be pleased with his performance.

Now it is back to Kitchener where hopefully he can win an OHL and Memorial Cup Championship! :D

There was a correction on the score sheet and Weber was credited with a goal as well in the Denmark game.

He actually leads all defencemen with 6 points (2 goals 4 assists) in 6 games at the World Juniors Tournament .

Guest kjdriedger

Sure is great that Mark Streit is around to help him adjust and groom him. Extremely rare - but the Swiss are coming and two of the best in their system play for the Canadiens. I have been very impressed by the Canadiens recent world scouting the last few years.

Guest devils_fury2
Sure is great that Mark Streit is around to help him adjust and groom him. Extremely rare - but the Swiss are coming and two of the best in their system play for the Canadiens. I have been very impressed by the Canadiens recent world scouting the last few years.

From what Weber had said about Streit when Weber was first drafted by Montreal in the 2007 draft (saying Streit was the best player to come out of Switzerland), I really hope that Streit is still in Montreal in a season or two when Weber will get his oppertunity to shine in a Montreal uniform.....its too bad Switzerland couldn't have made it to the Quarter Finals, it would have been great to watch Weber play even one game on TSN, but oh well I can't wait to see Weber perform at the Memorial Cup Tournament and with any luck maybe a couple games before that on Rogers SportsNet

• 2 weeks later...
Guest overlords
Posted here for Yannick:

That's great considering they both kind of play the same role. I'm betting weber will have a better position in the lineup though.

Guest 1970 Habs
That's great considering they both kind of play the same role. I'm betting weber will have a better position in the lineup though.

Well he has slipped to sixth (from 3rd) in OHL defencemen scoring but still has more than a point a game with 40.

I really like what he did at the World Juniors this year though leading the Swiss as their Captain and getting 6 pts.

Too bad they were not a very strong team.

Guest RadioGaGa
Well he has slipped to sixth (from 3rd) in OHL defencemen scoring but still has more than a point a game with 40.

I really like what he did at the World Juniors this year though leading the Swiss as their Captain and getting 6 pts.

Too bad they were not a very strong team.

He spent 3 weeks away with the WJC....so I'm not sure the slip is not really indicative of his play. I'm hoping to get to Kitchener to see a couple more games this year. Hoping to see Oshawa (Tavares) in Feb.

Guest 1970 Habs
He spent 3 weeks away with the WJC....so I'm not sure the slip is not really indicative of his play. I'm hoping to get to Kitchener to see a couple more games this year. Hoping to see Oshawa (Tavares) in Feb.

Yeah how could I miss that. :blink:

Thanks. :)

Guest 1970 Habs
It's bobby orr junior!

I don't think I would go quite that far. :lol:

I think he has the makings of a Bjorn Salming (the Toronto defenceman of the 70s).

He is tied with Bobby Sanguinetti for the most goals by defenceman in the OHL with 18 and has already surpassed his point total last year by 2 pts (43 now) with just over half the season played.

He will have better numbers in junior than Letang who played in the QMJHL. Personally I think he is better than Letang and that his 6.5 prospect rating on Hockey Future's website is too low.

This guy was tied for the lead in pts (6) by defencemen in the World Juniors this year and has just continued to excel this season. I was excited about Mathieu Carle last year but am more excited by this guy and what he will bring to organization when he finishes junior.

He and Mathieu Carle (who is having a strong year in Hamilton for a rookie) are two defensive prospects no one on the Forum hardly talk about.

But mark my words if they stay in the organization people will. :)

Archived