The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Yannick Weber

Guest 1970 Habs

Im really looking foward to see how he develops in this coming season for the BULLDOGS and hopefully he has a great year and maybe get a couple call-ups to the habs and maybe push for a spot next year on the team,its about time we signed him and im happy we finally did. The way Timmins has talked about Weberit sounds like he needs some fine tuning in hailmton and he could be ready pushing for a spot on the habs line up. GOOD LUCK YANICK and i look forward to seeing you in a habs jersey in the near future

Im really looking foward to see how he develops in this coming season for the BULLDOGS and hopefully he has a great year and maybe get a couple call-ups to the habs and maybe push for a spot next year on the team,its about time we signed him and im happy we finally did. The way Timmins has talked about Weberit sounds like he needs some fine tuning in hailmton and he could be ready pushing for a spot on the habs line up. GOOD LUCK YANICK and i look forward to seeing you in a habs jersey in the near future

As much as I hate seeing prospects getting rushed into the NHL....I would in a way like to see Yannick Weber in Montreal next season, he's a bit on the smaller side as far as defenseman go...but the guy has a great shot and I think could very well take Mark Streits spot on the power play and he's a good skating defenseman as well....but if the guy needs conditioning and needs to spend a season in Hamilton so be it, I just think he's deserving of the oppertunity and I am very glad the guy is finally signed and I don't think they could have signed him at a better time

I would think that Weber or Subban will be given a chance on PP in Montreal this season. We need a good offensive defenceman on the PP. The rest of the game the rookie could either play minimum ice time or even on the 4th forward line as they both are good skaters with offensive skill.

I think I would be hesitant using that approach as Weber is use to playing lots of minutes. I think it would be best he get more ice time playing in Hamilton where he can further develop. Next year when the contracts for Boullion and Dandenault come to an end then he and Carle can battle it out for a 6th-7th spot. However that is just my opinion.

I think I would be hesitant using that approach as Weber is use to playing lots of minutes. I think it would be best he get more ice time playing in Hamilton where he can further develop. Next year when the contracts for Boullion and Dandenault come to an end then he and Carle can battle it out for a 6th-7th spot. However that is just my opinion.

It will be interesting to see how camp goesthis year. I truly believe that a strong camp by a few of our jr d men and one of them could get that 7th spot. I think they would be better served playing big minutes in Hamilton, but I think it's up for grabs.

• 1 month later...

http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1220231

Unfortunately for the Kingston Frontenacs, Yannick Weber is destined for the American Hockey League.

Julien BriseBois, general manager of the Hamilton Bulldogs, the AHL affiliate of the Montreal Canadiens, confirmed yesterday that the promising Swiss defenceman will not be playing junior hockey this season.

The Frontenacs took a flyer on Weber last week, acquiring his rights in a trade with the Kitchener Rangers with the knowledge that it was a long shot he would return to junior for his overage year.

Now, there's NOT a surprise. What were Kingston thinking?

Will he be in Hamilton? Or maybe the better question. How many games until he is brought up to Montreal to play on the PP?

Why not carry 7 defencemen and two 4th line forwards? The PP is so important to success, especially for Montreal. Maybe a rookie D that only plays on PP and when the game is blow out (hopefully for Montreal).

The Kitchener Rangers and London Knights do a GREAT job with young players. Maybe Weber is far then a typical young defencemen because of his junior experience.

I think that Weber will make the 23 man roster. Not positive day one. But within 20 games I expect Weber to be in Montreal for the season.

Weber is prone to some brain cramps but that is somewhat expected with offensive defencmen. Though he has a big point shot there are other aspects of his game he needs to work on.

He started off slow tonight and got better as the game wore on playing over 18 minutes. Subban played 8 minutes as well. Carle is the third offensive defencemen currently in the pipeline and with a season already played in the AHL he would most likely get a call ahead of Weber.

It will be interesting how they both play this season in Hamilton though.

Another good game for Weber. Might have to become the 7th D and semi 4th line forward just so he can play on the PP and get some limited ice time during easy games at D with Hammer or Markov to learn from.

I will go out on a limb. Weber makes the team. I believe that Montreal scores 40% of their goals via the PP. We need Weber to replace Streit who replaced Souray. Someone that can blast shots and make some nice passes. So far Weber appears to fit the need on the point. S.Kostitsyn will likely play on the point also but this would only be on one of the PP units meaning that someone is needed on the right point. The left point will likely be manned by Markov and Hammer.

Another good game for Weber. Might have to become the 7th D and semi 4th line forward just so he can play on the PP and get some limited ice time during easy games at D with Hammer or Markov to learn from.

I will go out on a limb. Weber makes the team. I believe that Montreal scores 40% of their goals via the PP. We need Weber to replace Streit who replaced Souray. Someone that can blast shots and make some nice passes. So far Weber appears to fit the need on the point. S.Kostitsyn will likely play on the point also but this would only be on one of the PP units meaning that someone is needed on the right point. The left point will likely be manned by Markov and Hammer.

He's a great prospect, but no way he makes the team. Our 23 man roster has basically been set since before training camp opened. And no need to rush the kid, defensemen take time to develop, let him play in the AHL for a bit.

I also agree. he does not need to be rushed and will be better served completing a year in the AHL.

Next year there will be three spots open of 7. Room for Carle, Webber, and other. Not sold on the Russian kid - he may need two more years. I know he was perhaps rated by many as the closest and most ready. Don't think so myself.

Unless an in injury call up - he's best served getting lots of ice time with the Bulldogs.

According to habsinsideout, Laraque's groin injury may be more serious than originally thought, so there might be a roster spot available for someone like Weber, at least in the short to medium term.

I think it was said on Boone's last post on HabsI/O that it could be Greg Stewart making the lineup if Laraque is not ready to go. Makes sense as he's best fit for Laraque's place and has been getting some decent ice time, plus he has a taste of regular season action. But, if indeed the Habs are still looking to replace Streit's versatile role than Weber would be a great fit. We're luck to have this kind of depth.

This kid had really good looking stats in his two OHL seasons, has great offensive numbers for a Dman and has good +/- numbers as well. He got a really good pop out of the crowd tonite too.

I think it was said on Boone's last post on HabsI/O that it could be Greg Stewart making the lineup if Laraque is not ready to go. Makes sense as he's best fit for Laraque's place and has been getting some decent ice time, plus he has a taste of regular season action. But, if indeed the Habs are still looking to replace Streit's versatile role than Weber would be a great fit. We're luck to have this kind of depth.

This kid had really good looking stats in his two OHL seasons, has great offensive numbers for a Dman and has good +/- numbers as well. He got a really good pop out of the crowd tonite too.

If Laraque is the only player out, I actuallly think we will just go with a 22 man roster. No point keeping Stewart here to sit in the pressbox.

But I agree he seems like the most logical replacement. Weber doesn't play a similar position to Laraque and I think he needs the AHL time.

But I'm certainly excited about his potential. In a few years I think Weber-O'Byrne could be our next Markov-Komisarek pairing (of course both still have a long ways to go).

I think that Brisebois will be press box unless two D get hurt. I think that if Laraque is out for 10, 20, or 30 games that there is room on the roster and payroll for one or two rookies to be given a chance at the start of the season. I would also dump or buyout Dandenault. At least 5 rookies woud bring more the team at half the price of Dandenault.

Weber should be on the roster. Stewart or D'Agostini should be on the roster. When Laraque comes back one of these players is sent to AHL, don't think they need to clear waivers OR a UFA player like Begin or Kostopolous is traded or buyout if the rookie has been better then expected. The other rookie stays on the roster assuming solid results otherwise another top rookie from AHL gets a chance.

Why do players always have to stay in the AHL? It is not like Weber has to play in junior or NHL like Latendresse first season. Weber could be returned for any reason including healthy roster reasons where a veteran "needs" the roster spot. I believe this is the reason Chips was sent to Hamilton last season. The team was too healthy for Chips to get into the 23 man roster.

How many games has Weber played in the pre-season? How many nice shots and passes has he made on the PP? What did Carbo say about Weber? What did Kovalev say about Weber? It's not that Weber is an 18 kid. He is 20 and played a huge role with the Kitchener Rangers playoff success. Did I forget to say that Weber is really a fast skater.

Montreal D is a few years could be scary fast. Weber, Subban, and McDonagh. They all have big time speed.

I think he could and should stay up.

No need to rush him? We have Brisebois quarterbacking our powerplay here. If Weber can do it let him do it. Limit his ES minutes and use him on the PP.

You can't limit his ES minutes at this point in time, he will end up being so unidementional, and it will not be useful.

Brisebois will be on the PP sometimes, but more than likely it will be Sergei, or Tanguay or even Lang back there.

But neither of them will be quarterbacking it, that is Markov's job.

According to habsinsideout, Laraque's groin injury may be more serious than originally thought, so there might be a roster spot available for someone like Weber, at least in the short to medium term.

I think Weber has a lot of potential on Defense (unlike Streit) so why would we turn him into a forward. He needs to mature in his defense role and with a little nurturing he could become a top 3 Dman. Beside we also have a few prospect forward that are NHL ready

I think he could and should stay up.

No need to rush him? We have Brisebois quarterbacking our powerplay here. If Weber can do it let him do it. Limit his ES minutes and use him on the PP.

If he stays up then he'll be sitting out way too many games as our top 6 is already set which will only hinder his development.

Archived