The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal @ Ottawa | Nov. 10 2007 | Final: 3-1 Ottawa

TommyWong1

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you have starting in goal for Montréal against Ottawa?

• Cristobal Huet
    • Carey Price

Guest Bolshevik
teamsnj1.jpg
Montréal Canadiens VS Ottawa Senators
(9-3-3) ~ (13-2-0)

(Note: Details subject to change; starting goaltenders predicted, not confirmed. Lineups will be updated as gametime nears)

GOALTENDERS

gtgerberjk3.jpg
Martin Gerber
(10-1-0) ~ 1.80 GAA ~ .941 SV%

gthuetfq7.jpg
Cristobal Huet
(6-2-2) ~ 2.08 GAA ~ .930 SV%

GAME BREAKERS

gtalfyiv6.jpg
Daniel Alfredsson
With 12 points in his last 8 games, Alfredsson is on quite a streak. The captain is an anchor on both the Power Play and Penalty Kill for the Senators, and will be relied heavily upon in dealing with the Canadiens on Saturday.

gtplekszx2.jpg
Thomas Plekanec
The skilled two-way center has put up 3 points in his last 2 games, and along with his linemates Alex Kovalev and Andrei Kostitsyn, expectations will be high to continue a dominating performance that saw the second line tally a combined total of 6 points on Thursday against Boston.

TEAM LEADERS FOR MONTRÉAL

Goals: Alexei Kovalev (8)
Assists: Saku Koivu (10)
Plus/Minus: Roman Hamrlik (+5)

TEAM LEADERS FOR OTTAWA

Goals: Daniel Alfredsson (11)
Assists: Jason Spezza (12)
Plus/Minus: Chris Phillips (+14)

LAST GAME RECAP (~)

Ottawa, ON (Sports Network) - Jason Spezza scored the go-ahead goal with 6:45 remaining the third period, as the Ottawa Senators fended off the Montreal Canadiens, 4-3, at Scotiabank Place. Nick Foligno scored the first goal of his young career while Daniel Alfredsson donated three assists for the Senators, who have won seven of eight to start the season. Martin Gerber turned away 28 shots in the winning effort.

Guillaume Latendresse, Michael Ryder and Alex Kovalev all lit the lamp for Montreal, which has dropped three straight. Carey Price, meanwhile, yielded four goals on 33 shots. Ottawa was in control for much of the game, but a pair of power-play tallies by the Canadiens knotted the game at 3-3.

The first came on a rebound putback by Ryder with 5:28 remaining in the second. Kovalev tied it at the 12:51 mark of the third on a wrister from the bottom of the right circle. The Senators responded just 29 seconds later, however, to reclaim the lead. Alfredsson intercepted a pass in the Montreal zone, moved between the circles, and fired a snap shot that Price was able to save. Spezza pounced on the rebound, though, and stuffed it home.

Gerber did the rest, denying Montreal's advances to preserve the win.

Ottawa netted a power-play goal just 31 ticks into the game to take the lead. With the Senators set up in the Montreal zone, Wade Redden took a feed from Alfredsson at the point and unleashed a shot that slipped through the pads of Price. Latendresse scored the equalizer with under three minutes remaining in the first, as his seemingly harmless shot from well under the left circle found room short-side.

Foligno's first goal in the NHL put the Sens back on top. The home team cane with heavy pressure early in the second, forcing the Montreal defense and netminder to scramble. Foligno ended up with the puck following a deflected shot, and wrapped around the net before stuffing the disc inside the left post with his backhand. Dany Heatley added a breakaway goal with 7:17 left in the period to make it 3-1. Alfredsson sprang Heatley with a perfect outlet pass, and the right winger cashed in with a wrister from the slot that beat Price low.

Ottawa went 5-3 against Montreal last season, including a 3-1 mark at home. The Senators have won four straight and five of six with the Canadiens..The Sens finished 1-for-4 on the power play while Montreal was 2-for-4 with the extra skater.

------------------------------

The game can be seen on:
RDS (Franais) ~ CBC (English)

The game can be heard on:
CKAC (Franais) ~ CJAD (English)

------------------------------

bananans3gu7.gif
GO HABS GO!

Guest mathieu124

Any words on Spezza? He had a day-to-day groin injury. I don't think any habs fans wants to see him this saturday, so I would like him to take another day off tomorrow! ;)

Guest Bolshevik

According to a TSN update, Spezza will NOT be playing against Montréal tomorrow. So... good news. ;)

Jason Spezza will miss his 6th straight game Saturday as he continues to nurse a groin injury.

Source

Guest CanadianMike

I had no idea the game was at 3. I was bummmmmed knowing I was going to miss the game because I am going to the MOBILE concert. This morning I was very :) when I found out it was an early start. (which I usually don't like).

Go Habs!! I am a Spezza fan, but he can come back next game ;)

Sens are so strong, but I have a good feeling about this one. Habs are on fire!!!

I think Carbo will go with Huet!

Guest Paulin98C

Huet will definitely be in the net according to ..... me ehehehe

Price already faced the sens.... now it is Huet's turn.

Price will probably be in the net on tuesday against the leafs as Huet is 0-2 this year against the Leafs.

I'm expecting a Hbas win in shootouts! I wish for a strong performance by price.

Guest Liu Kang

I'm sick of the goalie questions all the time... Huet is our #1 this year, let's ride him. Price, as good as he is, needs to get no more than 15-20 starts this year... we can't rush this guy, no matter how "ready" he is. Let's use Huet in these matchups against elite teams.

Doesn't matter though, MTL never wins in Ottawa... The Sens are a very scary team this year.

Guest crazyhorse_9000
lets hope ryder has a big game, and scores a couple :D

Along with Kosistyn, Grabovski(from the pressbox!), Lattendresse, and the man who will obviously score several Kostopolous! ;)

Heres to dreamin haha, GO HABS GO!

Guest 1970 Habs

The Senators were not only beat but embarassed by the score and will be hungry to redeem themselves.

It will be a good measuring stick for Montreal.

Guest fansince1975

The 3:00pm really surprised me.

Montreal is playing really good. Ottawa is playing well, great. They just lost for only the 2nd time this season. Apparently no Spezza.

Montreal can win but only if the play for 60 minutes and get great goaltending.

Guest HabsFanStuckInToronto!

A win in this game will be fantastic but proving that we can hang with the Ottawa Sentators should also be a priortity. Time to show we are for real and what a better way to do that then give Ottawa a hard fought game.

Guest WindsorHab#10
I'm sick of the goalie questions all the time... Huet is our #1 this year, let's ride him. Price, as good as he is, needs to get no more than 15-20 starts this year... we can't rush this guy, no matter how "ready" he is. Let's use Huet in these matchups against elite teams.

Doesn't matter though, MTL never wins in Ottawa... The Sens are a very scary team this year.

Thanks for your OPTIMISM.

Guest JIMVINNY

It makes no sense to "ride" a goalie if you have two goalies playing well. it's neccessary in places like calgary and vancouver, where the back-up goalie will rarely put up a win, but we have two goalies who are both capable of stealing a game. Play them both.

sorry, mods. i know this isn't the place.

Wow, really nice game thread, you even did effects with the pictures...Nicely done

As for the game:

Habs will have to work VERY hard to pull this one out of their hat, although a victory would be sweet.

I have faith in them...I know they can do it...everyone needs to work hard though, and Kovalev needs to be at his best, like he has been this season

It makes no sense to "ride" a goalie if you have two goalies playing well. it's neccessary in places like calgary and vancouver, where the back-up goalie will rarely put up a win, but we have two goalies who are both capable of stealing a game. Play them both.

sorry, mods. i know this isn't the place.

This is a bit off-topic too but i have to put in my thoughts.

Huet is an unristricted free agent on July 1st, 2008, right?

If we do not sign him who will be our number 1? Price, right. So we need to give him as much NHL expierience as we can IMO, or else next year could be some goaltending trouble.

i'm always nervous playing ottawa...

sooooo, i've been away all week. where have our goals gone?! why are we winning/losing one goal games again? and why isn't the team showing up? it scares me more when the team doesn't show up and wins than when they don't show up and lose. i find it makes them lazy...have they been staying out of the box at least (i heard about the five on three last night so obviously not...)?

all these 'concerns' are keys to a game against ottawa. if our d and goalies are playing well we should be okay with spezza out of the lineup....hope hope.

my request: play for sixty solid minutes and play smart simple hockey!

is lats still out with back problems? is kostitsyn in?

(went to msg last night to watch the rangers and penguins - all i can say is: there's no place like home :D )

Guest shamrun

man, i dont like it when the habs play in the afternoon,just feels like we loose a lot of those... Anyways I think the sens might use Gerber. He has been solid this season for them (i drafted him in my fantasy team). I know (and i think the habs know it as well) they have to make this game important. Play hard from the face off. Never quit. Back & Fore check.

Gerber sucks when games seem to be important. He plainy chokes and leaves a few softies go in. I know the sens are the big scary team of the east right now. But if my memory serves me correct the sabres had an explosif start but we still manage an above .500 record vs them. So GO habs GO

Archived