The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jose Theodore

thefooligan5

Guest thefooligan5

Mods, I did several searches and could not find a general theodore topic (except for one that was in french).

I just wanted to comment on his stellar play of late. I wonder if his spot in the NHL might soon be secured.

Last 4 games:

Nov 9, 2007 vs. VAN O .929

Nov 5, 2007 vs. CGY W .958

Nov 1, 2007 vs. PIT W .929

Oct 26, 2007 vs. CGY W .951

he's moved up to 11th in the league in save percentage at .920%

I'm glad to see him get his stride back.

There's lots left in this guy, he even showed a few signs of his old self last year. Theo's play has always depended on his fast legwork, perhaps his resurgence this season has a lot to do with the knee surgery he had in the off season? Maybe this knee had been bothering him for a couple of years?

I see Spector is reporting the Avs have acquired Jason Bacashihua from Saint Louis. This could mean anything from the Avs are trying to shore up their AHL team to they need a backup because there's a trade brewing to move Theo or Budaj. Theo is playing well enough to be a number one goalie again while Budaj current stats are a bit on the low side. Should be interesting to see if one of them is moved.

Guest CanadianMike

In case any of you live under a rock, you don't know how much of a fan I still am. Although am a BIG Price and Huet fan...Theo still remains my #1. I have centreice this year and I am glad I get to watch a lot of Avs games. Theo is playing really well (even in the losses so far this season). I hope he keeps it up. I hope some of you that laughed at Theo last season and went on and on about how great Abby was going to be for us (or any other team) can admit that you were wrong. :)

THEO!!!!

In case any of you live under a rock, you don't know how much of a fan I still am. Although am a BIG Price and Huet fan...Theo still remains my #1. I have centreice this year and I am glad I get to watch a lot of Avs games. Theo is playing really well (even in the losses so far this season). I hope he keeps it up. I hope some of you that laughed at Theo last season and went on and on about how great Abby was going to be for us (or any other team) can admit that you were wrong. :)

THEO!!!!

Theo still has a long way to go before he'll make all the naysayers eat their words, but he's sure playing well right now and let's hope he keeps it up. He looks very confident right now and is doing all the little things right. Lets face it, he's not only playing for a contract this year, he may be playing for his career.

Goes to show you, you shouldn't trade a player just because of one half-bad season. If you catch my drift ;)

Very good one Gumper, very good ;) But, and there's always a but, things are different in the cap world. Christobal's contract is up at the end of the season, and I've got to believe he'll be asking 4.5 - 6 mil...can the team afford that for a 32 year old fragile goalie, albeit one who has been great for us when he wasn't injured? If Huet was under contract for 2 or 3 more seasons at 2.75 mil, I'd be all over hanging on to him. With his contract running out, the reality of business may have to take priority over sentimentality. So we'll have 3 options; 1) Trade him before the deadline. 2) Sign him for big bucks and face moving Price (can't sit the guy next year too). 3) Ignore the issue and risk losing him for nothing after the season ends.

Edit - oops, sorry, just realized I was waaaaaayyy off topic after I hit post. Sorry, my bad, I'll try and pay more attention!

We now return you you to Jose Theodore. And gumper, I regretted the Theo trade as much as anyone, still do, but sometimes circumstances back a GM in to a corner. The trade turned out to be good for the Habs and hopefully by seasons end Theo will feel it turned out good for him too.

Very good one Gumper, very good ;) But, and there's always a but, things are different in the cap world. Christobal's contract is up at the end of the season, and I've got to believe he'll be asking 4.5 - 6 mil...can the team afford that for a 32 year old fragile goalie, albeit one who has been great for us when he wasn't injured? If Huet was under contract for 2 or 3 more seasons at 2.75 mil, I'd be all over hanging on to him. With his contract running out, the reality of business may have to take priority over sentimentality. So we'll have 3 options; 1) Trade him before the deadline. 2) Sign him for big bucks and face moving Price (can't sit the guy next year too). 3) Ignore the issue and risk losing him for nothing after the season ends.

Edit - oops, sorry, just realized I was waaaaaayyy off topic after I hit post. Sorry, my bad, I'll try and pay more attention!

We now return you you to Jose Theodore. And gumper, I regretted the Theo trade as much as anyone, still do, but sometimes circumstances back a GM in to a corner. The trade turned out to be good for the Habs and hopefully by seasons end Theo will feel it turned out good for him too.

I was refering to Ryder :lol:

But good point

Ya there's a Theo thread somewhere, but it's likely buried quite deep.

Anyways, Theo always plays well during contract years.

Wait 'til Paris gets her claws on him... again! :D

Wait 'til Paris gets her claws on him... again! :D

haha, well he'll avoid her until next year. He'll play amazing this year, then this offseason there's some stupid GM out there who will give him another 3 year deal, he'll bust the next two years, and play well his contract year.

JL, I'm getting a vibe that you really hate Theo...did he run your dog over or something ;)

Not at all. I just feel that he was the most overrated goaltender in our long history. He did have one decent season but Patrick Roy deserved the Hart and Vezina in 2002 but yet, Theo snuck in with the Canadian votes due to the fact that reporters voting never forgave Roy for asking for a trade. Theodore suffered from "vedettaria", where lime-life got to his head, had his clique in the dressing room and it was me, myself and I when it came to him. He screwed up on and off the ice too many times and I was simply relieved to see him gone. Aside from that, I have nothing against the guy. :)

Not at all. I just feel that he was the most overrated goaltender in our long history. He did have one decent season but Patrick Roy deserved the Hart and Vezina in 2002 but yet, Theo snuck in with the Canadian votes due to the fact that reporters voting never forgave Roy for asking for a trade. Theodore suffered from "vedettaria", where lime-life got to his head, had his clique in the dressing room and it was me, myself and I when it came to him. He screwed up on and off the ice too many times and I was simply relieved to see him gone. Aside from that, I have nothing against the guy. :)

That's merely your take on Theo, not fact. Others say he was giving and generous. Too many people blame Theo for cliques in the locker room, there were a bunch of different cliques, Souray's, Kovy's Russian clique...darn them for having friends :P As far as Theo being the Habs most over rated goalie ever, Theo's career .909% SP & Steve Penney might disagree with you. ;)

It would be great to see him as a number 1 goalie once again..

Will be a interesting year for him, I really hope he ends u keeping the #1 job, so we can score like 10 goals on him when we face him :)

I think Theo deserved the Vezina that year, I honestly felt he was the best goaltender. But as for the Hart, the only other goalie in the league to have won a Hart is Hasek, Roy and Brodeur haven't won a single one. A goalie has to be something special to win that award, and Theo had a great season, but I don't think it was extraordinary. Iginla should have won the Hart in my opinion.

I think Theo deserved the Vezina that year, I honestly felt he was the best goaltender. But as for the Hart, the only other goalie in the league to have won a Hart is Hasek, Roy and Brodeur haven't won a single one. A goalie has to be something special to win that award, and Theo had a great season, but I don't think it was extraordinary. Iginla should have won the Hart in my opinion.

The guys at Goalie's World Magazine gushed over Theo, they're still pulling for him as of this month. Now this is a pretty credible magazine with contributions from NHL goalies and goalie coaches. Who am I to believe, professional goalies and coaches or bitter ex fans that feel they were jilted by Theo :rolleyes:

Everything else aside, my eyes didn't and still don't lie to me. Theodore in his heyday for us had the best legwork I've EVER seen on a goalie, his rebound control was second to none and his positioning was excellent. Combine that with great puck handling and a never quit on the puck attitude and I'll argue the "most over rated" label JL tags him with until I'm blue in the face. When he was awarded the Vezina, it wasn't a popularity contest voted by fickle fans, it's voted by all of the NHL GM's.

I'm hoping Theo continues his return to form this year and ends this pointless debate once and for all. To all those fans screaming "Theeeeooooo" and wearing a number 60 Habs jersey every game, where are you now? Theodore was the king of Montreal for 3+ seasons...how easily some forget.

Guest kovalev47

Yep hes been playing very well. It would be pretty ironic if Theo won the cup this year and then Huet leaving the team next year and winning the cup as well.

Guest habs_fan1160

I think people were way too hard on Theo. He carried us into the playoffs, gave us a thrill and played great for us the majority of the time he was in Montreal...then the fans thank him for mocking his every move. I always thought that was disgusting. Though he may not be making a lot eat their words as of yet, I stand by my theory that something had to have happened. A goaltender doesn't go from Superstar status to nothing over night. He probably had a lot to work through and I heard he was doing a lot on his own and throughout the summer with a goaltending coach. I hope he can get back in the game, and on top of it too.Although, with his sudden downfall and whatnot, it may take awhile or a lot for another team to trust him. Right now he looks streaky, but he's still pretty young, he can still build a hell of a career.

Yep hes been playing very well. It would be pretty ironic if Theo won the cup this year and then Huet leaving the team next year and winning the cup as well.
Lol, as big of a Habs fan as I am, we would deserve a fate like that after all the crap.

That's merely your take on Theo, not fact. Others say he was giving and generous. Too many people blame Theo for cliques in the locker room, there were a bunch of different cliques, Souray's, Kovy's Russian clique...darn them for having friends :P As far as Theo being the Habs most over rated goalie ever, Theo's career .909% SP & Steve Penney might disagree with you. ;)

You asked a question, I gave you the answer. Whether others like it or not... let's just say that I won't lose sleep over it. ;)

Archived