The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

You Live Where, And Youre A Habs Fan?

FlHabsFan

Guest FlHabsFan

Not sure if any other Non Quebec'ers have this issue. Because I live in Florida and am a Habs fan, I always get the 3rd degree. People just dont understand why. Even when I say I use to live in upstate NY and had friends who were Hab fans, they are still puzzled.

Now, I can be a Yankees fan or a fan of any football team (Dallas and Cincinatti were the ones I watched as a kid and came to like) in Florida or I could be a fan of just about any other NHL team, and no one would say anything. But, for some reason being a Habs fan is apparently bizarre.

Anyone else get this when they tell people they are Canadiens fan's? Just curious why being a fan of this particular team, is outside the norm.

Guest habsfan#08

Because the Habs are French. People don't expect us to like them because they are French. Thats all there is too it. Well, from Leaf fans i get they occasional: "Why? They suck!"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lafleurfan2

FiHabsfan im a non Quebec I live in the US when I tell people I like the Montreal Canadiens nobody

really says anything to me. question for you since you live in the US do you have a another favorite

hockey team from the US example Washington, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, TampaBay, Minnesota , Chicago,

Detroit Los Angeles any teams like these? Also when I Metioned to people that I like the Canadiens I also

tell them I like the Rangers. Do you walk around Malls , Borders , Barnes and Nobles anyplace in public

wearing a Canadiens outfit jersey , hoodie or tee shirt?

You metioned that your from upstate New York just curious what area town are you from?

Im from lower state New York Suffern.

Did you ever play hockey? Im sure in Florida you don't play anymore.

I live in Hull, Quebec located in Gatineau near Ottawa and i've always been a Habs fan and there is so many

Senators and Canadiens fans around my region, so it created like some kind of fan rivalry and it's awesome.

Go! Habs Go!

Guest FlHabsFan
FiHabsfan im a non Quebec I live in the US when I tell people I like the Montreal Canadiens nobody

really says anything to me. question for you since you live in the US do you have a another favorite

hockey team from the US example Washington, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, TampaBay, Minnesota , Chicago,

Detroit Los Angeles any teams like these? Also when I Metioned to people that I like the Canadiens I also

tell them I like the Rangers. Do you walk around Malls , Borders , Barnes and Nobles anyplace in public

wearing a Canadiens outfit jersey , hoodie or tee shirt?

You metioned that your from upstate New York just curious what area town are you from?

Im from lower state New York Suffern.

Did you ever play hockey? Im sure in Florida you don't play anymore.

I like to see Tampa do well since im down here, but otherwise no team I can point to as being a fan of them. I might watch the Sharks or Avs, but thats it.

I will wear my Canadiens teeshirt down here. I wear it to work, and only like 4 people even recognize what it stands for. My jersey tee usually gets strange looks, but my regular team one doesnt even bat an eye with people. I tend to only wear my jersey to the games themselves though. And not just when the Habs come to town, but most any game (when it isnt 90 degrees out)

The city was called Watervliet. Which is like 10 min from Albany. I actually moved down here when I was 4, so hockey never became a part of my life till I moved back in 1990. The first game I went to was at the Nassau Colliseum. Saw the Jets play the Isles (got in free, because the retail store I worked for had a sale/show going on below the colliseum). The friends I went with were Canadiens fans. The first game I actually watched on TV was in 93 when they won the cup. I remember them piling together on the ice for the pic with the cup while "We are the Champions" played. I liked the fast pace of the game, and enjoyed watching Roy. (since ive watched the sport, ive been a goalie fan more then anything).

Guest LilWinger

I live in Connecticut, and I get a lot of eye rolls from Bruins fans. I love to work into the conversations that Komisarek is my favorite player- Bruins fans don't seem to like him very much :D

Most Bruins fans are smart enough not to trash talk... I guess the fact that we've won fifteen of nineteen games with them since the lockout kind of speaks for itself ;)

Guest PattyBoy31

I'm from kingston, ontario. Its pretty much Toronto, Ottawa, and then some pittsburgh/sabres fans. But the every few habs fans are pretty much all adults, I'm 16, which makes it hard to be patient being only 2 years old when they won the cup and having my first idol (Patrick Roy) being traded when I started understanding what the NHL was

Guest ryder_11_73

I was Born in Vancouver and raised in B.C.

but I pretty much hate the canucks, besides a handful of players...

I get asked all the time why I don't cheer for my hometown team, and I normally answer with, "because I like to watch my team win" or, "I prefere to watch an exciting team"

Go Habs Go!

Guest Lafleurfan2

it sounds like to me because where you now live your area is not a big hockey area down where you

live if somebody goes into a sports store in a mall they will probably sell Thrashers , and maybe capitals

merchandise along with the ton of Baseball and Football. But hockey isn't working where you live.

so when you tell us that you wear your Canadiens tee shirt and only 4 people reconogize what the emblem

stands for your jersey t shirt doesn't even bat an eye it's because where you live there's nothing wrong

with you. rember where you live theres tons of baseball fields every major baseball team that plays up

north has an exhibation stadium in the state where you live so when you wear your shirts around think about this Florida is not a hockey area except where the 2 teams play and a few blocks from the arena's.

Where I live isn't a big hockey area 117 miles south of Albany when I go to my local malls at the sports

stores you know what I see Rangers , Devils and Crosby's jersey thats it no Bruins anything . I live in a

area where it gets cold. Both of us are Canadiens fans in non hockey area's.

Guest habs_fan1160

When I lived in Ontario I always got questioned why I was a Habs fan when there were "better" teams like the Leafs and Sens in my own province. I always got a lot of slack for liking a team who's primary language was French.

Now that I live in Sask, I get the same thing pretty much - why I don't support western hockey teams like the Oilers, Flames and Canucks and then I get made fun of for being an easterner and a Habs fan lol.

Bascially, wherever I've been, it's been an issue of them being a French team.

Guest FlHabsFan

Whats funny is when I come across other Hab fans at the games here. Especially those from Quebec. Theyre shocked to find a local fan. I get the 3rd degree for a couple min. But after we chat for a bit, its all good.

Guest FlHabsFan

Oh and yeah. Go to the mall here and you find very little hockey stuff. And thats with the Cup only 2 seasons removed. But if they do have jerseys and such, its Tampa (of course), Philly, Rangers & Detroit. And even sometimes Toronto. Never Montreal. Only local place I find Habs stuff is if the store is hockey focused. And even then, the amount is limited

Guest Poptone
I live in Pittsburgh and like the Habs and I also like the Pens.

No one here really cares if I wear Habs stuff out in public.

Oddly enough, I get the exact opposite reaction. I get lots of negative reaction when I wear my Habs gear around Pittsburgh, particularly on the South Side, Saturday nights. What's weird is this doesn't seem to affect other sports here in Pittsburgh. No matter how Steeler-crazy this town is, tons of folks wear other football teams' jerseys; same with baseball. But if you wear a non-Pens jersey in this town...oof. Still, I wear them with pride.

I can't wait to sport my new vintage-style Ottawa jersey that I picked up in Montreal last week around here, given last year's playoff results. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest King-Carey-31

I live about 30 mins south of toronto, and i am a habs fan, its in my blood really, my great-grandfather was a staff member for the team in like the early years :)

Guest Analyzer

I live in Renfrew, Ontario. An hour away from Ottawa, about 6 hours away from Toronto and about 3 hours away from Montreal. ..For whatever reason, it's either a Sens fan, or a leafs fan. I choose to be a habs fan :)

Guest 29_legends_33

I live 1 hour away from the TD Banknorth Garden formerly known as the Boston Garden . I wear my Canadiens hats and coats proudly and get a lot of slack . All I say is count the cups and when is the last time you won a cup ? The part of my city where I live is called little Canada and I grew up watching the great teams of the 70's at my neighbors house every Saturday afternoon . My parents were diehard Bruins fans , but I hung around with a family with 8 children that came down from Canada . We were always Guy Lafleur or Ken Dryden depending on what postion we were playing . I use to paint my Tony Esposito street hockey mask Ken Dryden colors when he went to the target mask . It's tough being a Habs fan and living in Massachusetts , but I will never jump ship or stop displaying the Bleu , Blanc and Rouge . I can't wait for January 10th . My wife gave me tickets to the game for Christmas .

Guest Lafleurfan2
I live 1 hour away from the TD Banknorth Garden formerly known as the Boston Garden . I wear my Canadiens hats and coats proudly and get a lot of slack . All I say is count the cups and when is the last time you won a cup ? The part of my city where I live is called little Canada and I grew up watching the great teams of the 70's at my neighbors house every Saturday afternoon . My parents were diehard Bruins fans , but I hung around with a family with 8 children that came down from Canada . We were always Guy Lafleur or Ken Dryden depending on what postion we were playing . I use to paint my Tony Esposito street hockey mask Ken Dryden colors when he went to the target mask . It's tough being a Habs fan and living in Massachusetts , but I will never jump ship or stop displaying the Bleu , Blanc and Rouge . I can't wait for January 10th . My wife gave me tickets to the game for Christmas .

So you get a lot of slack for routing for the Greatest hockey team in the world. which is worse rooting

for the New York Yankees or rooting for the Montreal Canadiens which gets more slack , name calling ect?

I hope nobody hit you or hurt you. They can be mad at you give you certain looks But I hope those lousy Bruins

fans kept there mits to themselves.

For me i' m french and i live in france , the ice hockey it is not a big sport in france :( , but there is a french league , and you go in arena , the canadien jersey is present . It's true in france and in quebec we have the same language .

i think there is a lot of canadien fans in another country to quebec , because the canadien have a story , the big players have playing in CH team , the canadien player are to go in NHL story , and the canadien team have 24 stanley cup .

sur ce a+ a tous ;)

Guest Eye_Heart_Gorges26

I live in Northern California and I am a Habs fan. More so a Sharks fan, but a Habs fans none the less. I do get alot of people asking me why I am, but all I know is that I don't need to explain it to them. They may not like the Habs, but I do.

Archived