The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Vancouver 2010 Mascots?

bailey1

Guest Greek Hab

Vancouver unveils trio of mascots

mascots.jpg

I would like to be the first(and hopefully not the only one) to say What...The...Hell?

Sumi: A spirit animal that flies with the wings of a native thunderbird.

Quatchi: A Sasquatch, better known outside British Columbia as Bigfoot, who enjoys hockey and photography.

Miga: An alpine ski-loving animal spirit with the wings of a Thunderbird and legs of a black bear.

Again. What The Hell?

There's even a sidekick: Mukmuk , a small friendly Vancouver Island Marmot.

Guest Greek Hab

Is anyone else scratching their head? When I think Canada, I certainly don't think of any one of these things...

I think;

1. Beaver

2. Moose

3. Mounties

4. Loone

5. Canadian Geese

Why is it, from my view point, that all the Mascots have "Native" names(and have an ANIME look)? People around the world are going to think we all live in teepees. That was my exact observation I got when they presented at the Torino games in '06. Why not name one of them Johnny? or even BOB OR DOUG(MCKENZIE)?

I know I know, Mascots are for the kids...but for the people who are actually watching and attending the games, and are wondering "Um...what is that walking by me?" How do any of these creatures signify who we, CANADIANS, are? A Sasquatch??? Pleeeeease!

Get a Johnny Canuck character or something. That at least is kinda funny, well for us I think.

Guest Greek Hab
They look Japanese :huh: Then again, if we had a Beaver or Moose, people would be complaining that we were being too steotypical. Can't win ... they're okay I guess.

At least out stereotypes are kinda funny. I mean Beaver and a Moose are both on our curency...so why not? Ok ok, it's a Caraboo...BUT THE POINT IS, have things that relate to us. Sumi looks/or is a freekin half-bird-half-bear...are we implying that we scientificly breed animals from two different families?

Frick, I nominate Youppi! than any of these things. At least Youppi! represents something actual in the world.

Guest Bobineau
Is anyone else scratching their head? When I think Canada, I certainly don't think of any one of these things...

I think;

1. Beaver

2. Moose

3. Mounties

4. Loone

5. Canadian Geese

Beaver, moose and mounties... :rolleyes: Originality killed your brain... :P I think the entire universe knows we have freakin' beavers, mooses and mounties.

Those new mascots look really cool with their asian style and native origins.

Guest Greek Hab
Beaver, moose and mounties... :rolleyes: Originality killed your brain... :P I think the entire universe knows we have freakin' beavers, mooses and mounties.

Those new mascots look really cool with their asian style and native origins.

My brain may be fried, but at least people, who do not originate from Asia or have Native background...will know what those things are without scracthing their head.

If I was to have a Mascot, it would be this;

hjohnny.gif Johnny Canuck

He looks bad a** and pretty much signifies the majority population of our country, in a comical style.

1. He likes Hockey

2. The Lumber Jack look to fill in a sterotype.

3. He's dressed warm

4. Tuque

5. And likes to skate.

The new macots have the asian-native look...so the Canadian Olympic Commitee is appealing to 2.3-Million people in our country. That's roughly 7% of our population...What about the 93-other-%-majority? Last time I checked, the majority of Canadians are not praying to the forests to praise spirit animals and heading to the north to hunt Big Foot.

Guest Bobineau
The new macots have the asian-native look...so the Canadian Olympic Commitee is appealing to 2.3-Million people in our country. That's roughly 7% of our population...What about the 93-other-%-majority? Last time I checked, the majority of Canadians are not praying to the forests to praise spirit animals and heading to the north to hunt Big Foot.

It's the Vancouver Olympics not the Canada Olympics, 50% of the population is asian...but who cares anyway, they're mascots, they don't need to represent a majority or anything in perticular. What does youppi represent? giant hairy turds?

Guest Greek Hab
What does youppi represent? giant hairy turds?

He represents the Montreal Canadiens, which is a Canadian Hockey Team? :o

And lol. :lol:

And, I don't know where you get your numbers from. 50%? Maybe visible minorities...but the Asian population only counts for 17% in Vancouver.

It's the Vancouver Olympics not the Canada Olympics, 50% of the population is asian...but who cares anyway, they're mascots, they don't need to represent a majority or anything in perticular. What does youppi represent? giant hairy turds?

Bingo. The mascots are supposed to be somewhat unique, but they're also supposed to bring joy to and excite younger audiences.

But really, these are some other Olympic mascots; do they really signify much?

mascotfeature3enpm9.jpg

The only ones that actually seem relevant are the ones from Australia.

But even when you do think about it, Sasquatches are pretty Canadian :lol:.

And in reading the descriptions of the mascots, but the black and white one pretty well signifies the West Coast; Orca whales in the Pacific and bears on the land.

Guest Bobineau
He represents the Montreal Canadiens, which is a Canadian Hockey Team? :o And lol. :lol: And, I don't know where you get your numbers from. 50%? Maybe visible minorities...but the Asian population only counts for 17% in Vancouver.
...and those visible minorities are all asians...just check the wiki page of Vancouver.As for Youppi, in terms of design, he doesn't represent anything.
mascotfeature3enpm9.jpg
Hidy and Howdy .... :lol::lol: ...and we already had a beaver...

Guest Greek Hab

The Montreal 1976...Beaver anyone? That's Canadian.

The Sydney 2000...pretty sure that's a lizard you can find in the Australian desset. Also for the Platapus, Hedge Hod, and Bird(Road Runner?) you can find in Australia.

Calgary 1988...The two teddy bears have Cowboy Hats. Calgary likes Rodeo.

Salt Lake 2002...Common animals you can find.

The Athens 2004 ones...I can give a little leeway to the Sea Horse, could signify Mythology, but the other two???

Beijing and Deijing...I'm not even going to argue because Asia has so much Anime and made up stuff...AKA Pokemon. The "Friendlies" kinda look like Koala Bears(especially the black one).

Then Torino "Neve & Gliz"?

Barcelona??????? Girl with no arms?

Munich...wow, a dog...that's so much more original then a Beaver and Moose.

Guest lfrommtl
They look Japanese :huh: Then again, if we had a Beaver or Moose, people would be complaining that we were being too steotypical. Can't win ... they're okay I guess.

i suspect the asian influence over there in van city had something to do with this :lol:

by the way neve and gliz...

neve=snow in italian.

gliz= i have no clue...

these mascots are ridiculous.

i want the canuck too

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest GoHabsGo_CanucksAreChoking

These mascots actually KINDA represent Vancouver..

True Fact: Most popular last name in Vancouver is like Lee or something.

Lots of Asians now.. For real.

But they're kinda creepy.

Archived