The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Nashville @ Montreal | Dec. 1 2007 | Final: 5-4 Nashville (S/O)

jl-1

Guest lfrommtl
well im in the blues, like always. how about you?

corner whites

got the tickets with my presale code from season tix gonna be there with my uncle/cousin both wings fans...

should be interesting

I think Carbonneau's blame game and line demotions has a lot to do with the way we sit back on leads. It creates an atmosphere that discourages players from taking chances. Everyone is so afraid to be the guy that made the giveaway that led to the goal that tied the game. At the beginning of the season I dont think there was much of that. Guys were throwing it to the wind, playing with flair and guts. I think when people saw how Ryder was being treated while he was struggling eventually led to an almost team-wide mentality of making the "safe" play. The problem is that most teams drive it down your throat when you sit back and you see it every third period whenever the game is close. You never see the Habs taking control of the game. Our lack of assertiveness (not necessarily aggressiveness) is our biggest weakness.

My wall now has a hole in it...unbelievable...

we have all been there man, i usually wait until the summer to repair

Two more points I have to make..... One Bonk must be happy LOL.

Also It sucks towards the ned of OT how teams can hook and hold and really take penalties.

the league has to address that, at the end of OT there is always dirt goin on because pp's cant hurt ya at that point. needs to be addressed

Guest Perezhiggins
How about using Price when a game goes to a shootout? I remember Lindy Ruff using Biron for a shootout in a game started by Miller 2 years ago. Buffalo won that game.

Yvon Pednault asked Price about this during a break, and Price said it's hard to go into a shootout when you haven't faced shots the whole night.

We should just be last years Buffalo, Play offensively and run and gun it

cant be any worse than what we do now, 1min of offense 59min of Defense

The boys might have taken Nashville lightly. There will be none of that on Tuesday as everyone knows the best team in hockey is in town. Habs will be fired up and desperate and play inspired against the Red Wings. A win or draw will re-establish some much-needed confidence.

we take everyone lightly when we have a lead in the 3rd

Guest lfrommtl
cant be any worse than what we do now, 1min of offense 59min of Defense

we take everyone lightly when we have a lead in the 3rd

italian national soccer(pre 06) team of the nhl <_<

I think Carbonneau's blame game and line demotions has a lot to do with the way we sit back on leads. It creates an atmosphere that discourages players from taking chances. Everyone is so afraid to be the guy that made the giveaway that led to the goal that tied the game. At the beginning of the season I dont think there was much of that. Guys were throwing it to the wind, playing with flair and guts. I think when people saw how Ryder was being treated while he was struggling eventually led to an almost team-wide mentality of making the "safe" play. The problem is that most teams drive it down your throat when you sit back and you see it every third period whenever the game is close. You never see the Habs taking control of the game. Our lack of assertiveness (not necessarily aggressiveness) is our biggest weakness.

thats so true we never take advantage of a game. we either sit back or like when we play the leafs it seems like we don't care we keep it tied or close and if they score then we go out and get one back but we never want to take control. The more and more i think about it having Carbo, Muller and Jarvis behind the bench is a bad idea. Thats 3 defensive minded coaches. The habs are a horrible trap team yet they try it every time they have a lead going into the third. Im not saying having a defensive minded coach is a bad idea but we need somebody in there that can have input on offense. 3 defensive minded coaches is to much.

Agreed. But all our coaches and Bob were all defensive players so that won't happen. I'm guessing that's why we draft so many defensemen too. However, I don't think it's possible to win a cup with a defensive system in this new league. Anaheim was a great offensive team with great team defence. I don't think they played a defensive system though.

no they ran you through the floor and you just couldnt beat their D

how long can this last? with no movement or anything? it seems like we are content with the product on the ice. i really hope to see gainey somewhere on tv or on the radio. at least to give a vote of confidence to carbo or something. anything to light a fire.

would be nice to hear from bob

lately the crowd at the bell centre has been losing energy. mike boone says we realized the cup is becoming a distant vision. i think the crowd will be even more dull on tuesday...

everyone teases the leafs about 40 years and all that, we could go longer

oh well, im really praying for the habs not to stink it up again on tuesday because i will be attending the game with wings fans.

damn lol

Guest Manorrd
Shortly after it was done, I went around the house, collecting every scrap of CH material I could find - books, flags, banks, videos, pillows, jerseys - you name it. They're all tucked away now, in a giant plastic storage tub. This team has no plan, no heart, no pride. And frankly, I've had it. Sad, so very sad, what this once great organization has become. The product on the ice is what it is, you can't sugar-coat it.

...and that's for being 5th over all in THE ENTIRE LEAGUE.

8th place must start book burnings.

20th place...join a monastery and take a lifelong vow of silence.

Tough crowd. :unsure:

...and that's for being 5th over all in THE ENTIRE LEAGUE.

8th place must start book burnings.

20th place...join a monastery and take a lifelong vow of silence.

Tough crowd. :unsure:

Being 5th means nothing right now when we're free-falling. We'll be 8th or worse by the end of the week since a few teams are only 1-2 points behind us with games in hand.

Yet again a game I fell asleep through and yet again I sure glad I did, otherwise I would have been far more angry then I am. This is simply embarrassing however. Whoever came up with the idea of 'we have a high leads, lets just sit on it and play complete defense) needs to be shot... repeatedly... endlessly. It does not work, it never bloody works, yet this idiotic team keeps trying it. The lines tonight were insane and not in a good way. Koivu should never have been moved down at all. I still demand to see Koivu play with Kovalev, which has yet to happen because for some reason Carbo is afraid of it. Nonetheless we are not a defensive team, we have to play offensive and with blinding speed because that is what this team is good at, yet nothing. Every game, regardless of the score each player should be thinking "Hmm, one more goal. We want one more goal!" and then they get that goal, they ought to think "Hey, we got one. I want two!" and so on. Although demand more goals and always play as if you're the losing team. When a team is down 3-0, the have nothing to lose anymore and just come flying. If the Habs acted that way, we could have won the game 6-2 or even 8-3.

I don't think I'm going to even bother with the game on Tuesday. We have yet to beat Ottawa, hell we cannot even handle Buffalo, New Jersey or Nashville. There is just no way we are winning against Detroit; not unless massive changes are made to this team.

Guest Hoyle00cdn
thats so true we never take advantage of a game. we either sit back or like when we play the leafs it seems like we don't care we keep it tied or close and if they score then we go out and get one back but we never want to take control. The more and more i think about it having Carbo, Muller and Jarvis behind the bench is a bad idea. Thats 3 defensive minded coaches. The habs are a horrible trap team yet they try it every time they have a lead going into the third. Im not saying having a defensive minded coach is a bad idea but we need somebody in there that can have input on offense. 3 defensive minded coaches is to much.

maybe because when we don't play a trap we give up 4 breakaways in on period.

Guest Hoyle00cdn
Although demand more goals and always play as if you're the losing team. When a team is down 3-0, the have nothing to lose anymore and just come flying. If the Habs acted that way, we could have won the game 6-2 or even 8-3.

You'd make a horrible coach....when a team is losing 3-0 they take more risks....defense pinch, forwards cherry pick, long ice passes, start fights to stir up morale.

Haven't you ever heard a player say "It's always good to have the lead, because it forces the other team to open up defensively".

Guest Air Thief

When was the last time Cristobal played prior to tonight's game??

You gotta think maybe there was some slight rust in his level of play. While he was nowhere near outstanding, you gotta give credit where it's due. Saving 41/45 shots is still fairly good especially in the first 2 periods, but you can't win a game, and still allow so many goals without a team helping you up front. I'll admit Huet crumbled fast late in the 3rd, but he did so just as badly as the rest of the team... Our system clearly isn't working, and REALLLYYY think Carbo, as well as the rest of the coaching staff, need some sense DRILLED into their freaking heads about defending a lead.

You don't sit! You press onward with the attack!

Guest voicemajor2000

I know it is small comfort, but a point is a point, is a point. I just hope that the boys have learned a lesson. I could care less about games against teams like Nashville. I'd rather see us winning game in our DIVISION. We are stinking this year. Man... why did the sens have to pick NOW to suck. We haven't played them during their slump. The sad thing is that we lost out on an extra point that should have been in the bag, but if this new NHL has taught us anythng, it is that no lead is safe. Look at LA and Dallas a week ago or so. Dallas was up 4-0 in the third, with 12 minutes remaining, and LA scored 5 goals to eventually win the game. This proves that we CANNOT sit on a lead. We need to play OUR game whether we are up 1-0, or 15-0. Again, we got a point, but let this be a lesson to our team.

Guest TOHABSfan16

Here comes the December/Jan freefall for the 3rd straight year. UNACCEPTABLE to blow a 4-1 lead, UNACCEPTABLE! If this game doesn't show everyone, especially management, that there is something fundamentally wrong with this team nothing will. "But we are in 5th place!" some will cry, my response, not for long with efforts like this. You can not expect to be anything but mediocre, at best, if you cannot hold a 3 goal lead with half a period to play. I am disgusted with last night's "performance."

Guest Manorrd
Being 5th means nothing right now when we're free-falling. We'll be 8th or worse by the end of the week since a few teams are only 1-2 points behind us with games in hand.

You missed my point entirely... :blink:

Guest Oatmeal777

The good thing I took away from this game is that it looks like our team has what it takes, goaltending is great, defence is great, and our offence is great (a bunch of ES goals). It's not a skill problem, it's a mentality problem. I think you could match us up with the best in the league and if everyone came to play we'd win.

Archived