The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

What Was Your Most Memorable Hab's Game Of All Time

GreekHockeyCoach

Guest GreekHockeyCoach

The Canadiens were trailing the Bruins 4-3 in the dying minutes of Game 7 of the 1979 Stanley Cup semifinals. But after a costly Boston penalty for too many men on the ice Don Cherry and the Boston Bruins fell victim as so many others before with a miraculous goal by Guy Lafleur to tie the game and send it into overtime. Mario Tremblay raced down right wing with a young defenceman named Al Sims skating with him, but only for a little while. On the left side of the ice, Yvon Lambert sprinted for the net, arrived there to take Tremblay's pass ... and goal! The time: 9:33 into the first overtime. The rest is all history folks.

I was 14 at time, my whole family was gathered around the tv praying that the canadiens would mount a comeback after a 3-1 Boston lead in the third. We all thought the game was lost and I remember praying for the habs to come back and win. We all celebrated that night as if we'd won the lottery.

That was the best game I've ever seen, the one that will always stick in the back of my mind, the game that if I close my eyes I can see the Flower ripping that shot past the Bruin's goalie. Ahhhh the memories.....

The game you mention is a classic .

Here's one for the old folks

Game 7 of the 1971 finals against the Black Hawks in Chicago

Habs trailing two zip, nothing going right until J Lemaire takes a slapshot just past centre ice which goes past Tony Espositio

From then on the tide turned and H Richard scored two goals in a come from behind 3 to 2 Stanley Cup victory

1985-1986 Playoffs

Game 3 vs the Rangers in OT

Rangers are badly outplaying the Habs but rookie goalie Patrick roy is outstanding in this game

as C Lemiuex scores the OT winner

Guest 1970 Habs

Habs trailing two zip, nothing going right until J Lemaire takes a slapshot just past centre ice which goes past Tony Espositio

From then on the tide turned and H Richard scored two goals in a come from behind 3 to 2 Stanley Cup victory

1985-1986 Playoffs

Rangers are badly outplaying the Habs but rookie goalie Patrick roy is outstanding in this game

Ahhhhhhhhh.

Sometimes it is nice to be old. :lol:

Guest GreekHockeyCoach

1985-1986 Playoffs

I remember both games, the Rangers game was awesome and so was young Patrick. I'm still mad at Tremblay and Houle for losing Patrick.

When I saw the heading for this thread, that was the first game that came to mind. I still remember that shot, and the series that went before it. I was 11 at the time. The first round upset against the Bruins had some amazing moments as well, thanks to Monsieur Dryden. Mind you, Minnesota was a challenge in the semis, and the red/green light chaos in game 6 almost meant a tricky game 7.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
I'm going to have to go with the last time they won the cup (because I'm a youngster and can't remember much farther back than that).

It doesn't have to be a Stanley cup game or a Stanley cup series. It can be any game you've seen the Habs play this year, last year etc.

For HAB games that I actually attended

Guy Lafleur's last game at the Forum playing for the Nordiques

Awesome standing ovation they gave him

Still remember how the Forum shakes when everyone's stomping their feet

April 1979

Playoff game : Leafs vs Habs @ MLG

Cam Connor scored in Double OT

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
Many happy moments, but a very sad one...

Wow, I'd forgotten about that one. It's too bad what happened to Jean Hamel but man do I miss those days. The days when "team" meant something, everyone sticking up for one another, the passion, the commitment to your teammates and to the organization, the "GLORY DAYS".

A few years ago Kovalev came back from injuries and played probably his best game in a Habs uniform. He took part in all three montreal goals and scored the winner in the shootout. He was the first star of that game and tha game just stuck with me. I'm actually wondering if people can find footage on this game I'm talking about.

Of course the game where Saku came back from cancer is pretty memorable as well.

Guest Rangerfan68
The Canadiens were trailing the Bruins 4-3 in the dying minutes of Game 7 of the 1979 Stanley Cup semifinals. But after a costly Boston penalty for too many men on the ice Don Cherry and the Boston Bruins fell victim as so many others before with a miraculous goal by Guy Lafleur to tie the game and send it into overtime. Mario Tremblay raced down right wing with a young defenceman named Al Sims skating with him, but only for a little while. On the left side of the ice, Yvon Lambert sprinted for the net, arrived there to take Tremblay's pass ... and goal! The time: 9:33 into the first overtime. The rest is all history folks.

I was 14 at time, my whole family was gathered around the tv praying that the canadiens would mount a comeback after a 3-1 Boston lead in the third. We all thought the game was lost and I remember praying for the habs to come back and win. We all celebrated that night as if we'd won the lottery.

That was the best game I've ever seen, the one that will always stick in the back of my mind, the game that if I close my eyes I can see the Flower ripping that shot past the Bruin's goalie. Ahhhh the memories.....

That was a great game. And then you went on to beat us in the Cup Final :(

There are two that stick out to me more than any games I have seen:

1. The final game for Henri Richard, the Game 7 semifinal against Buffalo. The Sabres got off to a quick lead, but Guy Lafleur led them back to within one goal. Then, with seconds left, and on his knees after being knocked down to the right of the Buffalo goal, Richard stuck it in. Unfortunately, they lost in overtime. Besides being Richard's last game, this game had Ken and Dave Dryden playing against each other.

2. The memorable game in the winter of 1975 when the Flyers and Canadiens had that brawl. Dave "The Hammer" Schultz ran at John vanBoxmeer, and then Larry Robinson went after Schultz. The fight was on, with both benches clearing. There were so many penalties handed out that when players had served their time, others would start serving theirs. And the game was three on three for quite some time. The Canadiens won that game going away, and this was a prelude to what happened the next year, when the Habs finally caught and whipped the Flyers in the Cup finals.

Guest Miltie01
There are two that stick out to me more than any games I have seen:

1. The final game for Henri Richard, the Game 7 semifinal against Buffalo. The Sabres got off to a quick lead, but Guy Lafleur led them back to within one goal. Then, with seconds left, and on his knees after being knocked down to the right of the Buffalo goal, Richard stuck it in. Unfortunately, they lost in overtime. Besides being Richard's last game, this game had Ken and Dave Dryden playing against each other.

2. The memorable game in the winter of 1975 when the Flyers and Canadiens had that brawl. Dave "The Hammer" Schultz ran at John vanBoxmeer, and then Larry Robinson went after Schultz. The fight was on, with both benches clearing. There were so many penalties handed out that when players had served their time, others would start serving theirs. And the game was three on three for quite some time. The Canadiens won that game going away, and this was a prelude to what happened the next year, when the Habs finally caught and whipped the Flyers in the Cup finals.

That brawl in the second game you mention is on youtube.

Everyone should do themselves a favour and go look at it. Right in the middle of all the shennanegans they show Larry Robinson over by the boards talking to some fans. You will see a fan offer him a cup, and Larry take it and have a drink !!! Great stuff.

I have been arround for a while (born in 72) and man... so many good games in my mind.

For me its the play off games (when things are starting to heat up) against the Leafs, Bruins and also the good old Nordiques.

I can sum it all up, but its just to many, and you can find it all in the books and on the internet... but how about this one, April 20 1984, the "Good Friday Massacre" ;) ...

Guest HabsfanfromtheROCK

I dont have much memories but one that stands out to me was when i was one years old in 1993 , i remember a lot..... just joking. I do remember the 2004 playoffs in game 4 when kovalev got hooked a little bit and exaggerated that he was hurt, he then skated along and banged in to souray, a boston player picked up the puck and went in and scored on theodore. I remember just looking at the tv screen with a the saddest look that was ever put across my face, while my dad(leafs fan) jeering about how montreal was down 3-1 in the series.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FanofLafleur

For me it was New Years Eve, 1975. Exhibition game between the Habs and Central Red Army. The atmosphere started off casual as everyone thought the Habs would romp. By the end of the game the place was buzzing. 3-3 draw and many claimed it was the best game they had ever seen.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
For me it was New Years Eve, 1975. Exhibition game between the Habs and Central Red Army. The atmosphere started off casual as everyone thought the Habs would romp. By the end of the game the place was buzzing. 3-3 draw and many claimed it was the best game they had ever seen.

Now that brings back memories. That was some great hockey.

Guest dhenry1234

I haven't been around as some of the other posters, but I'd have to say that the most memorable game I had seen was the one where Koivu returned after battling his cancer.

I'll never forget the ovation that he was given.

Guest FrozenPuck

This was mine as well. I've seen it on the tube many times since, and it always gives me shivers...

Guest hatethoseleafs

This is most definitely the best game i've ever seen the Habs play. The Red army was killing everybody on that tour and we fought them tooth and nail ( i felt we were most definitely the better team) and the game ended in a tie. It was an exibition but it seemed every bit as intense as any game in the 72 historic series Great memories.

Guest montreal_myk

3 games to my mind. the game where the habs made a comeback vs LA with that stick measurement. that was my first year watching hockey. 2nd was the first game i ever went to watch at the forum, fleury hurt us, but i remember hanging from the stairs with my cousin in the standing section of the forum.

And finally, the game here in MTL where we got kicked out of the game for harrassing visiting leafs fans, then were allowed to come back in to watch the game, habs scored the tying goal the second we got back to tie it up, we went to OT, and Souray made a swift shootout goal to win it. Dec 12 2006

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
3 games to my mind. the game where the habs made a comeback vs LA with that stick measurement. that was my first year watching hockey

The 1993 series, we've added extra comments on that game in the "WHAT IF" thread. Here's the link if you want to check out what was said.

http://forum.canadiens.com/index.php?showt...18395&st=40

Archived