The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Are Habs Fans Negative By Nature?

GreekHockeyCoach

Guest GreekHockeyCoach

Here's my question to everyone here. Are we negative by nature or have we come to expect too much from our hockey team given the franchise's success over the last century?

Are we influenced by the media so much?

Why do we put everything under the microscope when other franchises do not?

Why do Montrealers have more passion for the game and for our team than all other hockey franchises?

Why are we not happy even when we win?

Has the 14 year drought taken it's toll?

Please do not misunderstand my intentions with this post for I feel we are the best fans in the world but since I've joined this forum I see alot of myself in alot of other members with regards to our mentality and our way of thinking. Often times I try to stay positive and not look at the negative aspects of the franchise and find myself fighting like a Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde.

I see alot of negativity about our team even when we're winning. I'm no angel, I've been as negative as the next guy, if not more, and it just brings me to wonder WHY? We blame the coach, we blame the players, we blame management. I'm not saying everyone does this but the majority of us do and not only on this forum.

I just thought I'd open this debate and see how everyone feels.

We might conclude that we all need group therapy :lol:

Guest crazyhorse_9000

How about we all play pretend and dress up as a member of the team and then have group shock therapy... I pick Markov, everyone seems to like him.

... You can be Carboneau :lol:

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
How about we all play pretend and dress up as a member of the team and then have group shock therapy... I pick Markov, everyone seems to like him.

lol, I think you missed my point

Guest crazyhorse_9000
lol, I think you missed my point

Yeah you have brought up some difficult questions here though. Are we influenced by the media? Yep we sure are. However is the media not influenced almost entirely by us the fans?

As for putting it under the microscope... I think that all of the financially successful clubs are incredibly sceptical and nitt-picky. IE: Toronto, Vancouver, Detroit.

Your third question? Well thats debateable but a large factor for the Habs here would be that we have SOOO many fans.

Why are we not happy even after a win? This will vary from person to person. Personally, Because we havent had a good team in a while and right now we are missing a major piece to the puzzle (A true scorer).

As for the 14 year drought.. Yep, I think the most frustrating is when others call us Has-beens and that we "won all our cups long ago". At which point we churp back that we were the last canadian team to win... Its gonna hurt worse if Ottawa takes the cup this year.

Are we negative by nature or have we come to expect too much from our hockey team given the franchise's success over the last century? Come to expect too much

Are we influenced by the media so much? No, I believe the media feeds off of our love of the game & also the fact we expect too much.

Why do we put everything under the microscope when other franchises do not? See above.

Why do Montrealers have more passion for the game and for our team than all other hockey franchises? Tougher question. Canadians in general have a passion for the game...but it seems like people from Montreal & Quebec feel even more passionate about it. Does this TOO stem back to question #1?

Why are we not happy even when we win? Well, this is not quite fair. If we "won" everything (ie the cup) then we would be happy...winning a couple of games in a row (especially the way we've won some games - showing we will lose others if we continue to play that way) during the regular season doesnt mean much.

Has the 14 year drought taken it's toll? Yes. This probably hurts the most. We talk about the "storied franchise" but its a sort of "what have you done for us lately. How many players on that winning team are even PLAYING any more - let alone for us...4?

Its an interesting debate and yes, most likely we do all need therapy, but oh well ;)

Guest GreekHockeyCoach

Thanks Jed and Crazyhorse, this is exactly my point, it's scary how we all seem to think alike. Maybe Dr. JL can pay a house visit :lol:

Glad you guys liked the topic and thanks for making some very valid points in your replies.

Thanks Jed and Crazyhorse, this is exactly my point, it's scary how we all seem to think alike. Maybe Dr. JL can pay a house visit :lol:

Glad you guys liked the topic and thanks for making some very valid points in your replies.

I have my diagnosis on this topic, but I don't know that I want to share it as it may not be fully approved by the medical board of Canada. ;)

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
I have my diagnosis on this topic, but I don't know that I want to share it as it may not be fully approved by the medical board of Canada. ;)

Sounds like whips and chains, I for one will pass :lol:

Guest habs_fan1160

I think most fans are too negative. We lose a game, it's the end of the world and the whole team sucks, but if we win it's a different story, everyones a big fan and has supported them all along.

There's tons of positives on this team, which rarely get brought up. The only thing people seem to talk about is if someone makes a mistake or if someone isn't playing well.

Overall, the players in Montreal live in a fish bowl and it's really not fair to them. Sure Montreal loves their hockey and their team, but there's always a line to be drawn.

Guest Blockoman

I went through the TSN archives back to our first preseason game against the Penguins where we won 3-2 in overtime. This was the first comment:

I have my spot picked out on St-Catherine street.

I don't know if this was serious or sarcastic, but it does say something about the state of a lot of fans.

Guest patrickroycareyprice

Are we influenced by the media so much? A little not not really

Why do we put everything under the microscope when other franchises do not? Beacause where special

Why do Montrealers have more passion for the game and for our team than all other hockey franchises? Beacause we like hockey more then other cities.

Why are we not happy even when we win? Beacause we need the cup not wins.

This is a copy of my post in another thread, but thought it was more suitable here, now that a debate has begun.

Letter in the Gazette

Published: Dec. 16, 2007

"Being a hockey fan all my life, I am, like you, seeing the Canadiens are in for some trouble this year. But the real problem with the Canadiens is that there is an extreme lack of talent. What Guy Lafleur says is true, and there is a reason for that fact. Nobody really wants to play in Montreal, especially if you are going to be the next hero that the media can use to sell papers. Eventually, someone will create a controversy, like someone heard the hero say something he was not supposed to on some show, or perhaps the hero was seen with someone they should not be with, or maybe the hero just can't speak French. Eventually, someone will find something to write about our hero and it will take the flavour out of playing in Montreal. So why bother playing here when you can play somewhere else for the same money and less headache. The days of star players in Montreal are over - sorry to say - and you can point all fingers at the media (90 % French media)."

Laval

I would personally like to also add that the Montreal "fans" are a big contributing factor to the deteriorating state of Montreal Canadiens hockey.

Some (Montrealers) argue that Canadiens fans are the most knowledgeable hockey fans in the world, and that they have a right to voice their displeasure, as is often witnessed at the Bell Centre. Afterall, if they pay for the tickets, they can certainly boo if they want to.

I totally agree that the fans have every right to boo, and I also agree that Montreal fans are very knowledgeable "Hockey" fans. Not the "most" knowledgeable... just knowledgeable. However, I also believe that Montreal fans are their own worse enemies when it comes to supporting their team. They want champions, but are unwilling to help in achieving that goal. The constant harassment and singling out individual players, as well as the overall negative attitude, is an embarassment! I find myself, oftentimes, embarassed to be lumped in the same category as Montreal fans. Hockey players, very often, have family members attending games. Do you not think it is embarassing for them? Do you not think it would affect their play? Do you not think "stars" would think twice about playing for Montreal? Do you not think?

Vinny Lecavalier, Daniel Briere, Mario Lemieux... all would love, or would have loved to play for the Habs. You're fooling yourselves if you don't believe this. There came a time, or, will come a time

when this thought overwhelms/ed them... is it worth it! Why do you think this is?

I've travelled extensively throughout North America, and attended many professional sporting events. I'll be honest with you, I have never, ever, witnessed sports fans singling out individual players and booing them to the extent that Montrealers treat their hockey players. These are true "fans". Ones that support their teams through good times and bad.

True "fans" should attend games to cheer their teams to greatness. If they are not happy they should voice their displeasure by not attending games, or, changing their allegiance. That, is the strongest message they can send to management. That, and only that will push management to make the necessary moves to strengthen the team.

Personally, I am happy, overall, with the Hab's performance. They provide me with much entertainement! I wish they were champion calibre, but I will leave it up to management to get us to that level. I do not wish to tie their hands by being a constant, nagging and negative contributor.

Glad to have participated in this debate.

I disagree with the premise of your question. I don't think Habs fans are any more negative than other teams fans. It's just that there's so many of us and we're so passionate you notice it a lot more. I wouldn't say Habs fans are negative or even expecting too much, I'd simply call us passionate about our team. And that means getting incredibly excited when the team is doing well, and it means often being a bit more negative when the team isn't doing great.

I agree entirely with the contents and view brought forth in the letter to the Gazette posted by chiapo. Not only are we too negative, but I would add that this has a direct impact on the team. I find myself putting the TV on mute so I don't have to hear the constant negativity of Pierre and Yvon.

If you want my opinion, read that letter two posts above and it's basically everything that I've been thinking about for a long time.

I would add this though, I think the record of the team at home vs on the road is a perfect indication of just how out of control this has become. It's impacting directly on the players performances at the Bell Center. I think many of us fans in this city and especially a lot of members of the media really need to start to re-think how we see the game and how they we cheer on a hockey team.

Montreal is a fantastic city. I've lived here for 6 years now and I absolutely love the free-spirited nature of the people who live here. Most people are very friendly and have a wonderful outlook on life. There are however two intances in which they regularly demonstrate the patience of a 5 year old : when they drive a motor vehicle, and when they support their hockey team.

I will say this though...A lot of players will tell you that this is better than no attention at all, which sadly is the case for far too many american NHL markets.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
This is a copy of my post in another thread, but thought it was more suitable here, now that a debate has begun.

Letter in the Gazette

Published: Dec. 16, 2007

"Being a hockey fan all my life, I am, like you, seeing the Canadiens are in for some trouble this year. But the real problem with the Canadiens is that there is an extreme lack of talent. What Guy Lafleur says is true, and there is a reason for that fact. Nobody really wants to play in Montreal, especially if you are going to be the next hero that the media can use to sell papers. Eventually, someone will create a controversy, like someone heard the hero say something he was not supposed to on some show, or perhaps the hero was seen with someone they should not be with, or maybe the hero just can't speak French. Eventually, someone will find something to write about our hero and it will take the flavour out of playing in Montreal. So why bother playing here when you can play somewhere else for the same money and less headache. The days of star players in Montreal are over - sorry to say - and you can point all fingers at the media (90 % French media)."

Laval

I would personally like to also add that the Montreal "fans" are a big contributing factor to the deteriorating state of Montreal Canadiens hockey.

Some (Montrealers) argue that Canadiens fans are the most knowledgeable hockey fans in the world, and that they have a right to voice their displeasure, as is often witnessed at the Bell Centre. Afterall, if they pay for the tickets, they can certainly boo if they want to.

I totally agree that the fans have every right to boo, and I also agree that Montreal fans are very knowledgeable "Hockey" fans. Not the "most" knowledgeable... just knowledgeable. However, I also believe that Montreal fans are their own worse enemies when it comes to supporting their team. They want champions, but are unwilling to help in achieving that goal. The constant harassment and singling out individual players, as well as the overall negative attitude, is an embarassment! I find myself, oftentimes, embarassed to be lumped in the same category as Montreal fans. Hockey players, very often, have family members attending games. Do you not think it is embarassing for them? Do you not think it would affect their play? Do you not think "stars" would think twice about playing for Montreal? Do you not think?

Vinny Lecavalier, Daniel Briere, Mario Lemieux... all would love, or would have loved to play for the Habs. You're fooling yourselves if you don't believe this. There came a time, or, will come a time

when this thought overwhelms/ed them... is it worth it! Why do you think this is?

I've travelled extensively throughout North America, and attended many professional sporting events. I'll be honest with you, I have never, ever, witnessed sports fans singling out individual players and booing them to the extent that Montrealers treat their hockey players. These are true "fans". Ones that support their teams through good times and bad.

True "fans" should attend games to cheer their teams to greatness. If they are not happy they should voice their displeasure by not attending games, or, changing their allegiance. That, is the strongest message they can send to management. That, and only that will push management to make the necessary moves to strengthen the team.

Personally, I am happy, overall, with the Hab's performance. They provide me with much entertainement! I wish they were champion calibre, but I will leave it up to management to get us to that level. I do not wish to tie their hands by being a constant, nagging and negative contributor.

Glad to have participated in this debate.

Very nice post Chiapo and very well written arguments. When you said:

"True "fans" should attend games to cheer their teams to greatness. If they are not happy they should voice their displeasure by not attending games, or, changing their allegiance. That, is the strongest message they can send to management. That, and only that will push management to make the necessary moves to strengthen the team."

That is a very powerful statement and something to think about the next time we want to lash out publicly or boo a player at a game.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
I disagree with the premise of your question. I don't think Habs fans are any more negative than other teams fans. It's just that there's so many of us and we're so passionate you notice it a lot more. I wouldn't say Habs fans are negative or even expecting too much, I'd simply call us passionate about our team. And that means getting incredibly excited when the team is doing well, and it means often being a bit more negative when the team isn't doing great.

Thanks for your input Graeme, but you're slightly contradicting yourself with your statement. You say you disagree with the premise of my question and you don't think Habs fans are negative yet you end it by saying that we are often a bit more negative when the team isn't doing great. I do however fully agree with your assessment that we're so passionate you notice it a lot more.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
I agree entirely with the contents and view brought forth in the letter to the Gazette posted by chiapo. Not only are we too negative, but I would add that this has a direct impact on the team. I find myself putting the TV on mute so I don't have to hear the constant negativity of Pierre and Yvon.

If you want my opinion, read that letter two posts above and it's basically everything that I've been thinking about for a long time.

I would add this though, I think the record of the team at home vs on the road is a perfect indication of just how out of control this has become. It's impacting directly on the players performances at the Bell Center. I think many of us fans in this city and especially a lot of members of the media really need to start to re-think how we see the game and how they we cheer on a hockey team.

Montreal is a fantastic city. I've lived here for 6 years now and I absolutely love the free-spirited nature of the people who live here. Most people are very friendly and have a wonderful outlook on life. There are however two intances in which they regularly demonstrate the patience of a 5 year old : when they drive a motor vehicle, and when they support their hockey team.

I will say this though...A lot of players will tell you that this is better than no attention at all, which sadly is the case for far too many american NHL markets.

Nice post Jigger. There's alot of truth in your statement and you're right, it is starting to show negatively when we play at home. You're also correct when you say that Montrealers are very friendly and free-spirited.

This last statement is right on "I will say this though...A lot of players will tell you that this is better than no attention at all, which sadly is the case for far too many american NHL markets." Every professional athlete wants attention, they thrive it, that's why they play pro sports.

Guest Khadgar

The only thing I have to say is STOP BOOING OUR PLAYERS FOR EVERY LITTLE THING! It's sickening to listen to.If you're restless and you want to do something start a Go Habs Go chant. It would be much more productive and fun to listen.

If you want to boo someone boo the refs or the opposing team not the Habs players.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
I think most fans are too negative. We lose a game, it's the end of the world and the whole team sucks, but if we win it's a different story, everyones a big fan and has supported them all along. There's tons of positives on this team, which rarely get brought up. The only thing people seem to talk about is if someone makes a mistake or if someone isn't playing well.Overall, the players in Montreal live in a fish bowl and it's really not fair to them. Sure Montreal loves their hockey and their team, but there's always a line to be drawn.
Nice post, what I like best about it is this statement you made: "There's tons of positives on this team, which rarely get brought up. The only thing people seem to talk about is if someone makes a mistake or if someone isn't playing well." I think that besides the moderators and a few others who do post mostly positive stuff about the team, the rest of us tend to overreact to a loss or to a coaching mistake or with a player playing poorly that night. This is why I started this debate, as a therapy of sorts, for the members that tend to overreact like myself. Not that there's anything wrong with that for this is a public forum to voice our opionions but in my case I think that a more positive attitude is warranted.
The only thing I have to say is STOP BOOING OUR PLAYERS FOR EVERY LITTLE THING! It's sickening to listen to.If you're restless and you want to do something start a Go Habs Go chant. It would be much more productive and fun to listen.If you want to boo someone boo the refs or the opposing team not the Habs players.
Welcome to the therapy :lol: Hey Mods, give me my own corner and call it Dr. GREEK :lol:

Here's my question to everyone here. Are we negative by nature or have we come to expect too much from our hockey team given the franchise's success over the last century?

It seems to me that the average fan thinks that they have the best team in hockey based on past successes but not on the current day situation. If there is a loss, because there is no question of the greatness of the team, it has to be the fault of a player. There is all sorts of negativity then associated with players who are not fan favourites - so yes, there is negativity, but negatively that arises because of a smugness, almost, and that is seemingly reserved not for everyone on the team but for the scapegoats.

Are we influenced by the media so much?

I believe yes - but this is not, of course, reserved for hockey.

Why do we put everything under the microscope when other franchises do not?

Not everything goes under the microscope. Some things are beyond reproach and to question it is to be seen as being disloyal to the cause.

Why do Montrealers have more passion for the game and for our team than all other hockey franchises?

I don't think that is necessarily true. The original six all have very passionate fans because of history. The "newer" teams in non hockey markets obviously do not attract as much interest.

Why are we not happy even when we win?

I would suggest these days it is because of the inconsistency of the team - often, even in a win, there are areas that require work. The product is not nearly as pleasing as watching Detroit or Ottawa, for example, play.

Has the 14 year drought taken it's toll?

If it hasn't, it should and, quite frankly, I don't see an end in sight. It becomes harder and harder to remember the glory days when the team cannot even make the playoffs in a league in which almost everyone gets in.

Please do not misunderstand my intentions with this post for I feel we are the best fans in the world but since I've joined this forum I see alot of myself in alot of other members with regards to our mentality and our way of thinking. Often times I try to stay positive and not look at the negative aspects of the franchise and find myself fighting like a Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde.

I see alot of negativity about our team even when we're winning. I'm no angel, I've been as negative as the next guy, if not more, and it just brings me to wonder WHY? We blame the coach, we blame the players, we blame management. I'm not saying everyone does this but the majority of us do and not only on this forum.

Thats just freaky.lol

Guest thefooligan5

i think it goes without saying that due to Montreal's past successes, the fact that the city is situated in hockey-mad canada and situated in a very 'winterful' hockey-mad province contribute to habs fans being so temperamental.

i don't know if this still has an effect on the habs' fan base but i think that montreal has had a strong anglo-frano population (as opposed to every other strictly anglo hockey city) which in the early years lead to a lot of strife and passion amongst hockey fans.

and something else which i have absolutely no proof of and this comment may sound very ignorant but i've seen montreal as being a 'little piece of europe' here in canada due to the powerful culture and you can witness this in the very simple chanting of 'Olé' at most every home game (a practice very common in the football community). and it is clear that europeans are very passionate about their sports.

i figure the most likely explanation has to do with us being spoiled by many cups won (which could be argued that are due the montreal being given priority in picking quebec born players for most of its history).

Archived