The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Chicago @ Montreal | Jan. 8 2008 | Final: 4-3 Habs (OT)

HabsFanInPitt27

Guest HabsFanInPitt27

MTL.gif

VS

56.gif

At Bell Center

800px-Bell_Centre_06.jpg

Game Preview

Rookie center Jonathan Toews is a very important player for the Chicago Blackhawks. Their performance in his absence is proof of that.

The Blackhawks hope to end a season-high five-game losing streak Tuesday night when they face the Montreal Canadiens at the Bell Centre.

Toews had been enjoying an impressive first season for the Blackhawks (19-19-3) before he injured his left knee in the first period of a 9-2 loss at Los Angeles on Jan. 1. Although the injury will not require surgery, the 19-year-old will be out of action for three to four weeks.

Taking Toews out of Chicago's lineup leaves a huge void for a team that is hoping to reach the playoffs for the first time since 2001-02. He is the NHL leader among rookies with 15 goals and a leading candidate for the Calder Trophy as the league's best first-year player.

Toews' injury is magnified because the Blackhawks are already missing six regulars - defensemen Brent Sopel (broken finger) and James Wisniewski (knee), and forwards Jason Williams (groin), Kevyn Adams (knee), Dave Bolland (broken finger) and Ben Eager (concussion).

Including the loss to the Kings, the Blackhawks have dropped all four games without Toews, scoring six goals. Chicago's five-game skid (0-4-1) is its longest since it lost six in a row from March 16-28.

The Blackhawks were unable to recover after allowing three first-period goals Sunday in a 3-1 home loss to Detroit.

Oft-injured right wing Martin Havlat returned after missing six games with a groin injury. Havlat, who sat out 22 games earlier this season due to an injured shoulder, has five goals and six assists in 13 games.

"We're a .500 team, but we think we're better than that," coach Denis Savard said. "The way we started when we were healthy, we feel we can be a playoff team and I still do. The next two or three games, hopefully will get us going."

Right wing Patrick Kane - Chicago's other prized rookie - has been held to two goals in his last 24 games after scoring seven in his first 17 contests.

Poor special teams also have played a role in the Blackhawks' slump. The power play is 1-for-17 in the past six games while the penalty killers have allowed nine goals in 34 short-handed situations in that span.

Montreal's home struggles continued Saturday with a 5-4 overtime loss to Washington.

The Canadiens (20-13-8) twice rallied from third-period deficits only to lose for the eighth time in 10 home games (2-5-3).

"We didn't deserve to win the way we played in the last two periods," left wing Christopher Higgins said. "It was nice to see we came back two times in the third to tie it up but we definitely didn't deserve to win."

Despite the loss, Montreal gained at least one point for the fifth straight game (3-0-2).

Left wing Andrei Kostitsyn continued his production with his 11th goal Saturday. He has eight goals and seven assists in his last 14 contests, scoring four goals in his past three games.

The Canadiens had won three straight in this series before a 2-1 road loss on Oct. 18, 2006. Chicago has lost its last two visits to Montreal, last winning there on Dec. 3, 2001.

Goalies

f08b1d664c1ecfe11fcf74ea80735020-getty-76073568sd004_chicago_black.jpg

Khabibulin

VS

capt.acf912d8e0a543bcb23a810c2c5af270.canadiens_lightning_hockey_tpa104.jpg

Huet

Guest Onzeee

actually this is a laid back month, the games aren't bunched together and we have no back to backs... have to take advantage

Huet back in goal he needs to get himself into stretch form needs to find the 06 version of himself time to get serious here

Guest Blockoman

The Blackhawks seem to be slumping and the Habs are riding a pretty good offensive streak. In a perfect world, the Habs would win this one easily, but you never know at the Bell Centre.

GO HABS GO!!!

As Chicago is struggling I thought Carboneau might come back with Price.

I would have expected Carbo to go with Price too. When Huet had a bad game (see the 2nd Toronto game), Carbo came back with Huey for a bounceback game. Why wouldn't he do the same with Price? That's what puzzles me.

Guest HabsFanStuckInToronto!

We have this one in the bag I KNOW IT!

There are a few factors like the unpredictable Chicago offense, but it has been dry as sand for the last 3 or 4 games and Montreal's offense has never been better this season. We had count it....Washington 4 + Tampa Bay 6 + Rangers 3 + Florida 5 + Tampa Bay 5....that's 23 goals in our last five games!

Huet should have a solid game so he can firmly place his grasp on # 1, mix that with some outstanding offsense and we have a good formula for a win versus Chicago.

ONE THING: By watching Chicago play a few times, Montreal's defense has to watch for the cycling down low and then up to the point. Cut off the cycling down low with physicallity from Komi, Hamr, Boullion or block the shots from the point.

BTW, Khabibiloun(sp?) is going to be picked apart by Montreal's offense and McQuire is going to love every minute of it!

GO HABS GO! YOU DEFINATELY HAVE THIS GAME!

Guest otherdemon
GO HABS GO.

East vs. West.

Normally West wins hopefully not this time.

Yeah, that is weird. With the exception of lone wins by the Devils and the Pens, almost all East vs. West games

have ended in favor of West teams.

Fortunately, the Hawks have quite a bit of injuries. And Khabibulin can be beat (Kings Hawks 9-2, anyone? :D )

Last year, the Hawks beat us 2-1. We need to beat Khabi this year.

the ironic thing is last year Bryan Smolinski was the one who scored the game winner, now he is on our side :D

Also last year we had played the night before against the falmes in a barn burner of a game and we had Aebi in net for the Hawks.

This time around we should be well rested and better in net to face the Blackhawks.

Guest keithman

I was hoping Carbo would give Price a chance to rebound back, he deserves it afterall.

but nothing against Huet, Huet can hold it down tonight.

Guest sanman

Gainey said it best, Price has to earn his way back in. Not sure how if he doesn't get a chance but that's the philosphy. We can't drop another game to a team we should beat. Maybe Carbo wants the best chance for the two points at home. Actually Price on the road might be a better alternative since the team plays better there any ways.

After Saturday's lackluster effort I have to think the boys will be hungry for a win. 60 minutes of hard work and we win this one no contest.

GO HABS GO

Guest RadioHab

Should be an entertaining game. I am confident with all the injuries they have and looking at our lineup it should be a piece of cake but that all depends how the boys come out at the Bell.

Guest kovysdaman

Going to the Bahamas this weekend just won a trip lol I hope the habs can win at least 2 out of three next week but let's start by today. Khabi is not an easy goalie when he's on but we need to shot often against him might be ryder's chance to score a few I was wondering you guys prefer watching the game on tsn hd or rds hd have a good one guys

GO Habs Go!!!!!!!!!!

Guest HabSteve

Hopefully the Habs don't take this one lightly and show up from the start to the end, let's try to get a good 60 minutes game to start the 2nd half, easy games in the NHL don't occur too often.

GO HABS GO!

Guest Tamara84
Going to the Bahamas this weekend just won a trip lol I hope the habs can win at least 2 out of three next week but let's start by today. Khabi is not an easy goalie when he's on but we need to shot often against him might be ryder's chance to score a few I was wondering you guys prefer watching the game on tsn hd or rds hd have a good one guys

GO Habs Go!!!!!!!!!!

I enjoy watching the habs on rds hd because I like the announcers. Anyway I have a good feeling about the habs winning this game and since I am wearing my latendresse shirt that I got for christmas everytime I wore it so far we won. Happy new year to all you guys on the forum.

Guest russianhabsfan

Should be an easy win. 4-2, 5-2 will do it.

I'm all with you on this, JL, letting Price get it back and all. But it's also a good idea to put him back there on the road... imagine he flops it again at the Bell Centre... :mellow:

I really hope Koivu shakes the cold off and dekes one in past Khabi :P

Archived