The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Boston @ Montreal | Jan. 22 2008 | Final: 8-2 Habs

FlHabsFan

Guest FlHabsFan
gd1.jpg

gd2.jpg

bear.jpg

The Montreal Canadiens continue to struggle at the Bell Centre. They've had little trouble against the Boston Bruins in recent years, regardless of the venue.

Following yet another home loss, the Canadiens look to extend an eight-game winning streak against the Bruins when the teams continue their season series Tuesday night.

Montreal (24-15-8) returned home Saturday night following a 3-1-0 road trip, only to lose 2-0 to Pittsburgh. The Canadiens have the fewest home wins in the league, having lost nine of 12 at the Bell Centre to fall to 8-8-5 there for the season.

A matchup with Boston (24-18-5) gives Montreal a good opportunity to rebound from its latest loss at home. The Canadiens have won eight in a row against the Bruins since a 3-1 loss in Boston on March 3, 2007, and are 17-4-0 against them since the start of the 2005-06 season.

Montreal has won its last five home games against Boston, including two this season. The Canadiens are 5-0-0 overall against the Bruins in 2007-08 while outscoring them 24-8, including 8-1 in the first period.

On Saturday, though, Montreal was shut out for just the third time this season. Even the Canadiens' usually strong power-play unit has been struggling, going 0-for-2 against the Penguins and 0-for-8 in the past three games.

Montreal has the second-best power play in the league, converting 23.7 percent of its opportunities. Against the Bruins this season, the Canadiens have scored on 33.3 percent (8-for-24) of their chances with the extra man.

Boston, however, is 3-0-1 in its last four. The Bruins avoided overtime for the first time in that stretch Sunday, beating the New York Rangers 3-1 to complete a home-and-home sweep.

Boston, which also beat the Rangers 4-3 in a shootout Saturday, is one point ahead of the eighth-place New York Islanders in the Eastern Conference and within three of sixth-place Montreal.

"We've got to start separating from the pack," said Boston center Marc Savard, who has one goal and seven assists during a five-game point streak. "We've got to beat the guys we're chasing a playoff spot with."

Chuck Kobasew helped the Bruins' cause with a big weekend against the Rangers. He had a short-handed goal and an assist Sunday after netting two power-play goals on Saturday.

Kobasew has a team-best 17 goals, three shy of tying the career high he established during the 2005-06 season with Calgary. But the winger, who was acquired by Boston in a trade with Calgary in February, has just one goal in 11 games against Montreal.

Tim Thomas also has struggled versus the Canadiens, posting a 4.70 goals-against average en route to losing all three of his starts against them this season. Montreal is the only team to beat him more than twice this season. Thomas is 15-8-3 with a 2.04 GAA against the rest of the league.

Thomas, who made 30 saves against the Rangers on Sunday, credits team chemistry for Boston's current run.

"There is no quit in us," he said. "Nobody on the ice gives up ... that's just the kind of team we are."

Associated Press

gohabsgo.gifgohabsgo.gifgohabsgo.gif

Guest HabsFanStuckInToronto!

Real good statement game here. Have to show that Saturday was just a miscue and a blemish in a good month all around.

CREAM THESE BRUINS! GO HABS GO!

Guest DonMancini

Going to the game tomorrow :D IN THE DESJARDINS SECTION (free food! yaaay!)

I sure hope we win :D I'm sort of pessimistic because I feel like we're due to lose against the bruins, but we always seem to play them well so I really hope we take it.

Guest FlHabsFan
Going to the game tomorrow :D IN THE DESJARDINS SECTION (free food! yaaay!)

I sure hope we win :D I'm sort of pessimistic because I feel like we're due to lose against the bruins, but we always seem to play them well so I really hope we take it.

Hope we win. I have a 7-0 streak when doing the thread :D

Guest Tamara84

Really nice game thread. Hope we win it since you did the thread. Anyway I have a bad feeling but hopefully it is wrong. But anyway hope we cream the Bruins so I can bug my best friend who is a bruins fan.

Guest HabsFanStuckInToronto!

Team looks pumped up to play. Look for Kovalev to be on an absolute tear! After reading the article in the Montreal Gazette called "Kovalev vows to do more", he just wants to make up for fanning on his chances on Saturday so badly! I hope he has an amazing game! GO KOVY GO! GO HABS GO!

Guest CanadianMike

CHARA SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!go habs go!!!!!!! want to erase that goose egg they laid on Sat night.wake up HIGGINS!!!!

Hope we win. I have a 7-0 streak when doing the thread :D
:blink: dude if/when we make it to the playoffs we know who is doing ALL the Game day threads! ;)

Guest WindsorHab#10

This will not be an easy game for the Habs despite their undefeated record this year against Boston. EVERYONE must show up and erase the bad memories of Saturday night. Anything less than 60 minutes is unacceptable. GO HABS GO!!!!

Guest jennifer_rocket

Part of me wishes that we weren't playing the Bruins tonight. After complete dominance of them this season, Boston will eventually pull off a win, and tonight would be an awful night to do that.

GO HABS GO!

Let's hope we play a complete game, and get some secondary scoring from Higgins and co.

Guest Greek Hab

This was in the Gazette this morning, in the "Kovy vows to do more" article.

"We have to figure out a way to get some offence out of that line," said Carbonneau, who moved the younger Kostitsyn to a line with Bryan Smolinski and Steve Bégin, who has been out since Dec. 6 with a shoulder injury.

He'll make a decision on the fourth line this morning, but it appears Guillaume Latendresse and Maxim Lapierre have spots, with the final choice between Mathieu Dandenault and Tom Kostopoulos at right wing.

God Freekin Damnit Carbo...God Damnit. :angry:

Guest FlHabsFan

"We have to figure out a way to get some offence out of that line," said Carbonneau, who moved the younger Kostitsyn to a line with Bryan Smolinski and Steve Bégin, who has been out since Dec. 6 with a shoulder injury.

He'll make a decision on the fourth line this morning, but it appears Guillaume Latendresse and Maxim Lapierre have spots, with the final choice between Mathieu Dandenault and Tom Kostopoulos at right wing.

We saw how well having Tom out of the lineup worked the last bruins game. Chara and company were gooning us up right and left.

Kostoplous isn't benched yet. No reason to get upset but given Dandenaults recent record with scoring on Boston I can say it doesn't look good for Tom.

Guest Greek Hab
We saw how well having Tom out of the lineup worked the last bruins game. Chara and company were gooning us up right and left.

Yea, then we had people after that game saying..."O, we need an enforcer."

But let's not put the only available guy in our lineup who would fight, and would not become a major liability to the team if something bad were to happen to him.

BUT STILL..."We need an enforcer" tongue.gif

Kostoplous isn't benched yet. No reason to get upset but given Dandenaults recent record with scoring on Boston I can say it doesn't look good for Tom.

Thus I repeat, and stay firm with what I said before.

God Freekin Damnit Carbo...God Damnit.

This game scares me a little. All streaks good and bad will end sometime. I just hope it is not tonight.

same here. In theory the Bruins are due for a win against us. What goes up must come down, however I hope tonight it doebns't come down. I don't want to see us face New Jersey on while we are on a losing streak.

Guest HabSteve

no way they can bench Kostopoulos against the Bruins again

sorry Dandenault but you'll have to wait, it's not like we can bench Smolinski it seems! :P

Anyway, Here's to another win against the Bruins!

GO HABS GO!

Archived