The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

The Ole Song

29-legends-33

Guest stevesaku

its a sport chant. fans in montreal are passionate about their team, the same level of passion europeans have for their soccer teams. As the best fans in hockey, we like to show that passion, and thats why montreal is a great place to witness a hockey game.

Guest ComeBackStanley
Sure its not "exclusive to soccer", but it is traditionally a soccer chant. Ole is a spanish word for "approval". Spanish is clearly not a common language in Montreal and so its hard to lay claim to starting this chant.

The fact that they play a certain version over the PA does not mean it is any less of a "rip off", especially since that version cannot claim to be the original itself. Fact is, Bouncing Souls took a popular soccer chant and used it in their song. We in turn play their version on our PA apparantly.

As for the reason why?

Well my guess would be the "french connection". France National Soccer team fans have a version of the song which ends in "allez les blues", in place of the 2 last long OLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE's.

"OLEEEE OLEOLEOLE ALLEZZZZZ LES BLUEEEEEE!"

Make sense?

I also doubt its gotten most of its "fame" in Montreal. My guess would be some european country, where soccer is king, made is popular. Maybe even France. Even your buddies in Bouncing Souls recognized it as a soccer chant, as evident in their lyrics.

Either way its a fun chant, but lets be honest, we "borrowed" the idea from soccer. Personally, I think theres nothing wrong with that. If its fun for the fans and rallies the troops, then so be it. These chants are "borrowed" all the time, no biggie. Lets face it, its a lot more fun and original than "GO (insert team name) GO!".

I think the chant carried over as there are alot of people with european background who are Soccer fanatics in montreal who then started singing it i guess. I'm assuming before it got here the "spanish chant" (as it seems to be) started to carry over to other european cities and those who watch soccer here carried it over to other sports.

It always seems like bad luck to me lol.

Everytime the fans start singing it we usually give up a goal that results in a tie or a loss in OT.

I don't mind hearing it when we're ahead, like we were against Boston, but I hate hearing it in close games.

I agree. I don't like hearing it either with a one goal lead. Especially if they start it earl, even if its against Boston...went to the game on tuesday and sure we had a 4-1 lead, and against Boston it is usually safe, BUT there are still 2 periods for the other team to come back nevertheless.

Guest CharlottetownHabbies
It always seems like bad luck to me lol.

Everytime the fans start singing it we usually give up a goal that results in a tie or a loss in OT.

I don't mind hearing it when we're ahead, like we were against Boston, but I hate hearing it in close games.

I remember it seemed like that in the last few years, but I haven't noticed the trend this year.

Guest LilWinger
Hi ,

Could somebody please tell me the name of the song that the fans chant at the Bell Centre ? I am a Canadiens fan living in Massachusetts and I need to find it to play for all the Bruins fans . I sing it myself , but I don't do it justice . I'm sure you all know which one I am talking about . Alay alayalayalay .

Thanks a ton in advance.

Kris

Good for you! I know most Bruins fans say that song annoys the daylights out of them. I went to the game at TD Banknorth last year where we were down 02 and 3-1 and we won 6-3, and all the Hab fans were singing it. So much fun.

It is by the Bouncing Souls, and it's on Napster.

Guest martinm87

I first heard it in the metro after warped tour '02. When did it start at the bell centre? I'm guessing the same people were probably soccer/bouncing souls/habs fans and went to habs games and started singing it and it caught on. It's also sung before many punk concerts when everyone's waiting for the band.

Guest habs_fan1160
I don't recall them chanting ole ole with a one goal lead in the third. This must be a very seldom occurence.

It's more or less, been a rare occurence this season, but last season and the season before it was pretty common. This season I can only recall two or three times its happened. But previous years, I lost count by this stage in the season. :)

Guest gtp_98c

does anyone have a quality recording of this in mp3 or some sort of format that can be used as a ringtone? Just the song is no good, need the whole crowd aspect of it to make it good... ;)

thx

gtp_98c@hotmail.com if you have it or have a link.

Thx

Guest Twillightzone

There are several versions of this "Ole´ chant, wich I belive has its roots in spain and been around for ages in soccer. Its mostly used in southern countries of europe but the last decade spread more or less worldwide. For example in Sweden its chanted in both soccer arenas and hockey arenas, since... a well years and years back.

"Our" Version of it adds "we are the champs, we are the champs" at the end. In my opinion the chant works well in most sports but is somewhat overexposed nowdays and isnt the most chanted anymore.

Guest Serge Aubin

As a neutral (Or maybe a tad less than neutral) fan, I love the Ole chant. One thing I've always liked about European hockey is the chanting that goes on throughout the games. To hear some chanting in hockey is amazing, and nobody pulls it off like the crowd at the Bell Centre. I don't care if it was a soccer chant first; I'm a hockey fan, and therefore, to me, it's a Habs chant. Why bother debating that?

Guest HabsFan4Lyfe

Yah plus who has the time to chant like in soccer games were cursing half the time over all the stupid mistakes were doing on the ice or the missed chances and mis calls by da ref

• 1 month later...
Guest SooperSingh

is it possible for someone to make a version that's a little more clear(the one with fans singing). I want to have it as my ringtone.

Guest King-Carey-31
I don't recall them chanting ole ole with a one goal lead in the third. This must be a very seldom occurence.

We chanted it during the first period of a game when we were up by 3 and lost 4-3 :(

Guest Felquiste

I don't remember hearing any other team fans chanting the ole song. I don't know for how long this have been used in Québec but on one of the live album of les Cowboys Fringants (the first one: Attache ta tuque) the group lost the control of the fans and the spectators chanted that song for about one and a half minute.

I love it when the other team fans are pissed because of that chant. I went to the La Kings and the Buffalo Sabres message boards and they were all suprised about how we packed the HSBC arena and the Staples center and how present we were. We were all chanting, laughing and screaming.

We use it when the momentum is on our side. SO it's not related with the number of goal.

Guest vegasrick
OMG It is not a soccer chant.. It is in fact Ole by Bouncing Souls as indicated earlier. They play that song on the audio system to start the chant up..

....so it was the Habs organization that got the crowd singing "Ole Ole" at 10:00 of the second period with a 1-0 lead over the Islanders yesterday? Eek.

That "Ole" song always appears to me to be when the crowd is sending the message that it's "game over" just like the "Na Na Hey Hey

Goodbye" song. Personally, I don't like hearing it in a game that's far from over....I'd rather hear "Go Habs Go" in tight games. Everyone knows what that means.

Guest Felquiste

sometimes it's the organisation that start it off but now most of the time it's the fans that sing it. I went to the game against the Blue Jackets. The organisation started it once but the crownd sang it 4 or 5 times. And when the habs play outside of town they have to start it by themselves.

Guest halifax_habs
sometimes it's the organisation that start it off but now most of the time it's the fans that sing it. I went to the game against the Blue Jackets. The organisation started it once but the crownd sang it 4 or 5 times. And when the habs play outside of town they have to start it by themselves.

That song was pretty much the only crowd noise in the game against Phoenix. I love that it shows up on the road.

I love the song but personally I'd love to see Habs fans expand their chant repetoire a little. Certainly a loud bunch but Ole, Ole endlessly lacks originality. Hence the need for some fan groups as talked about in the Chanting thread. :D

Guest Clammy

When we (Exciter) played the Atarfe Vega Rock festival in Spain last weekend (on March 8), the crowd serenaded us with that song for about a minute between a couple of our tunes. It was WAY cool, and, for me, was even better 'cause of the song's connection to the Habs. :D

GO HABS GO!!!

Cheers!

Guest HalifaxHab

I think it's great. Watching the games on TV, you get a good feel for the game. It seems the crowd pumps the boys up and they all feed off each other. So I don't care what's chanted as long as it kicks the boys into high gear.

Guest Pro_Preferred

I recently went to a habs game and buffallo I can't begin to explain how many hab fans were there. After the game in the main enterance of the HSBC arena it was unbelievable, not exadurating I'd say there were around 1000 hab fans singing. I only have audio on my cell phone and did record it, but I found these videos on Youtube, (I beleive these were taken after I left because it was twice as loud as this when I was there, and I did not remember seeing the stanley cup). http://youtube.com/watch?v=C9xPU-dC5b0&feature=relatedhttp://youtube.com/watch?v=ottR8_uDQSQ&feature=relatedI recently went to a habs game and buffallo I can't begin to explain how many hab fans were there. After the game in the main enterance of the HSBC arena it was unbelievable, not exadurating I'd say there were around 1000 hab fans singing. I only have audio on my cell phone and did record it, but I found these videos on Youtube, (I beleive these were taken after I left because it was twice as loud as this when I was there, and I did not remember seeing the stanley cup). http://youtube.com/watch?v=C9xPU-dC5b0&feature=relatedhttp://youtube.com/watch?v=ottR8_uDQSQ&feature=related

Guest TORHABSFAN
I recently went to a habs game and buffallo I can't begin to explain how many hab fans were there. After the game in the main enterance of the HSBC arena it was unbelievable, not exadurating I'd say there were around 1000 hab fans singing. I only have audio on my cell phone and did record it, but I found these videos on Youtube, (I beleive these were taken after I left because it was twice as loud as this when I was there, and I did not remember seeing the stanley cup). http://youtube.com/watch?v=C9xPU-dC5b0&feature=relatedhttp://youtube.com/watch?v=ottR8_uDQSQ&feature=relatedI recently went to a habs game and buffallo I can't begin to explain how many hab fans were there. After the game in the main enterance of the HSBC arena it was unbelievable, not exadurating I'd say there were around 1000 hab fans singing. I only have audio on my cell phone and did record it, but I found these videos on Youtube, (I beleive these were taken after I left because it was twice as loud as this when I was there, and I did not remember seeing the stanley cup). http://youtube.com/watch?v=C9xPU-dC5b0&feature=relatedhttp://youtube.com/watch?v=ottR8_uDQSQ&feature=related

I went to a game 2 seasons ago in Buffalo samething.. In fact I would say there where way more then 1000 Habs fans singing OLE OLE OLE, as well as chanint GO HABS GO and singing O'Canada.

It was a cheer ruckas I almost got my self killed by angry Sabers fans but I kept singing.. I do remeber that there was a lot and I mean a lot of Police officers outside the arean doors breaking up fights and keeping the crowd under control.

Guest Larry Robinson

I love the ole ole song,but I also think it's time for a change for the fans to bring some new energy to the building,doesn't mean we have to stop singing it altogether,but a change up would be nice.Maybe in the off season the radio stations could pull off some kind of contest for habs tickets where the fans are asked to get creative and come up with a new song to bring new life into the building.It doesn't have to be a made up song just something that fans could get into and pump up the team at the same time.

Archived