The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Peter Forsberg

Guest Iceman1509

Guest Iceman1509

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=229000&hubname=

Now I don't know if Montreal is involved in the "sweepstakes" but if he's coming back for a cup I would think that Montreal would be in his mind.

I am really on the fence for him. Healthy he could do amazing things for our offence. That being said we have the 4th most potent offence in the league. Would bringing him in screw up the chemistry or enhance it?

Guest Little Black

Yes as you said he turned down some teams... As for montreal it is rumored that GM Bob Gainey would not have any interest in him and i'm fine with that because we don't know if he can be healthy for the rest of the season and the playoffs...

Guest QbGamer

The thing is, All you are risking is cap space. Say you got him and he didnt work out, you could easily just sit him in the press box, and your team would be hwo it was before, with a lil more media attention is all.

Its not as if you need to sign him for more then this season, or even trade away future postpects or picks for the guy. Seeing as we do have soo much cap space remaining if we didnt plan on using it then it is odd that we arent trying to get this guy.

Again im thinking it couldnt hurt, that being said lets hope BG has some master plan of getting atrade in to ue a bitof that left over $$

Apparantly Forseberg wants a 2 year (including this year) deal, but I think there's a loophole a team could exploit to give Forseberg good money with a lower cap hit.

Consider this deal:

1st year (remainder of this season): 2 million (Forseberg only takes home about 1/3 of that)

2nd year: 10 million.

For Forseberg this works because whatever his salary is for this season, he's only getting about 1/3 of it. However, next season he could take the full thing. So the season he doesn't get his full salary, you make it low, the salary he gets the full salary, give him the full thing.

But ... it is still a 2 year deal, and the cap hit would be 6 million a season (only 1/3 of the cap hit counts for the remainder of this season though since he didn't play the first 2/3). So usingn this you are giving Forseberg good money without taking as big of a cap hit. If he cares about money, maybe we could use this strategy?

Guest QbGamer

No i wouldnt sign him for a 2 year deal. I bet that second year is taking alot of team out of the hunt for him. Too risky

Let philly roll the dice on him, and lets hope he signs that 10 million deal your speaking of :)

No i wouldnt sign him for a 2 year deal. I bet that second year is taking alot of team out of the hunt for him. Too risky

Let philly roll the dice on him, and lets hope he signs that 10 million deal your speaking of :)

Remember, only a 6 million cap hit though :P

Guest QbGamer

Only 6 million on someone who you havent really seen play in a while is a HUGE risk ;)

After notifying four teams that he will not be signing with them, unrestricted free agent Peter Forsberg has cut two more clubs off the list.

Earlier today, TFP confirmed that the Detroit Red Wings were notified that Forsberg will not be signing with them, while the 34-year-old center passed on the same message to the Dallas Stars, Nashville Predators and Calgary Flames.

According to TSN, the San Jose Sharks and Pittsburgh Penguins have also been informed by Forsberg's agent, Don Baizley, that his client will not be joining them this season.

The Philadelphia Flyers, Vancouver Canucks, Ottawa Senators and Colorado Avalanche are believed to be hot on Forsberg's trail, while the Anaheim Ducks and Chicago Blackhawks have also made serious inquiries.

Sources tell TFP a decision could be made in the seven days. The Flyers are believed to be the frontrunners.

The fourth period

I heard 4 teams this morning, now 6 out of the hunt, If i was a gambling man id say Philly has it in the bag, lets just hope the other teams lead Philly to make a crazy offer, of the 6 million $ type

Only 6 million on someone who you havent really seen play in a while is a HUGE risk ;)

After notifying four teams that he will not be signing with them, unrestricted free agent Peter Forsberg has cut two more clubs off the list.

Earlier today, TFP confirmed that the Detroit Red Wings were notified that Forsberg will not be signing with them, while the 34-year-old center passed on the same message to the Dallas Stars, Nashville Predators and Calgary Flames.

According to TSN, the San Jose Sharks and Pittsburgh Penguins have also been informed by Forsberg's agent, Don Baizley, that his client will not be joining them this season.

The Philadelphia Flyers, Vancouver Canucks, Ottawa Senators and Colorado Avalanche are believed to be hot on Forsberg's trail, while the Anaheim Ducks and Chicago Blackhawks have also made serious inquiries.

Sources tell TFP a decision could be made in the seven days. The Flyers are believed to be the frontrunners.

The fourth period

I heard 4 teams this morning, now 6 out of the hunt, If i was a gambling man id say Philly has it in the bag, lets just hope the other teams lead Philly to make a crazy offer, of the 6 million $ type

If he wants a 2 year deal, Philli may not have the tagging room to sign him through next season for anything significant, so that could cause a problem.

Guest habs fan #1
The thing is, All you are risking is cap space. Say you got him and he didnt work out, you could easily just sit him in the press box, and your team would be hwo it was before, with a lil more media attention is all.

Its not as if you need to sign him for more then this season, or even trade away future postpects or picks for the guy. Seeing as we do have soo much cap space remaining if we didnt plan on using it then it is odd that we arent trying to get this guy.

Again im thinking it couldnt hurt, that being said lets hope BG has some master plan of getting atrade in to ue a bitof that left over $$

He wants a two year deal

. Seeing as we do have soo much cap space remaining if we didnt plan on using it then it is odd that we arent trying to get this guy.

Probably has more to do with him having no interest in coming to Montreal

When he's healthy he's one of the best but Lately he's an accident waiting to happen

Guest habs_fan1160

I have mixed feelings about Forsberg. If he could stay healthy I think he'd be great for us, but the fact is - he can't.

Stat wise I think the only full season he's played was in 1996-1997 in Colorado. Since then he's played 65 games, 72, 78, 49, 73, 75, 39, 60, 40 and 17. That's far from consistant and we need consistancy to win a cup.

He's too prone to injuries for me to even want to risk it.

Guest Jesus Price
I have mixed feelings about Forsberg. If he could stay healthy I think he'd be great for us, but the fact is - he can't.

Stat wise I think the only full season he's played was in 1996-1997 in Colorado. Since then he's played 65 games, 72, 78, 49, 73, 75, 39, 60, 40 and 17. That's far from consistant and we need consistancy to win a cup.

He's too prone to injuries for me to even want to risk it.

You read the stats wrong. In his last season he played 40 with Philly and 17 with Nashville in the same year, so he played 67 games his last season. Thats not that bad, 65, 72,78,49,73,75,39,60,67 is not that horrible. When he isnt leaned on to be your top goal producer then thats definately decent numbers for secondary scoring.

Guest Iceman1509

Anaheim, Ottawa and Philly have a legitimate shot at the cup

Colorado is familiar to him

Chicago is filled with young talent and a glorious future

Vancouver is what? They probably will miss the playoffs, do not have a young up and coming roster and really are a mess. Why is he considering them?

Guest KORDIC3131
If he wants a 2 year deal, Philli may not have the tagging room to sign him through next season for anything significant, so that could cause a problem.

That is probably why I read that Philly may be willing to move Jeff Carter. I think he is restricted FA and if Philly signs Forsberg there won't be any more money in the pot to resign Carter. With Gagne going down with his third concussion of the year,the pressure is on for the Flyers to sign Foppy.

Guest 1970 Habs

Flyers GM: Agent says Forsberg mum on return for at least a week

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3240037

PITTSBURGH -- Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren isn't optimistic that longtime NHL star Peter Forsberg will rejoin the team this week.

Holmgren traveled to Sweden earlier this month to speak to Forsberg about returning to Philadelphia. Forsberg, a former league MVP who won two Stanley Cups with Colorado, played 1½ seasons with Philadelphia before being traded to Nashville late last season.

Forsberg's agent, Don Baizley, called Holmgren during the weekend and said Forsberg won't make any decision for at least a week.

"He has a big decision to make, so he needs a little more time," Holmgren said Sunday.

The 34-year-old Forsberg hasn't played this season due to foot and ankle injuries and, until recently, wasn't dropping any hints that he was considering a return to the NHL. He has ruled out playing for his former Swedish team.

"We seem to be spending a lot of time talking about Peter but, until we actually know he is coming back to the NHL, it is sort of a moot point," Holmgren said. "I am still not convinced he is coming back to the NHL. A lot of people seem to think that he is coming to the Flyers, but I certainly don't feel that way."

However, Holmgren also wasn't told that Forsberg definitely won't return to the Flyers.

"Other than the fact that we have not gotten a call and other teams did [that Forsberg isn't interested in playing for them], well, that leaves us in the game, I guess," Holmgren said.

Forsberg has 248 goals and 623 assists for 871 points in 697 NHL games. He had 30 goals and 85 assists in 100 games with Philadelphia the previous two seasons.

The Flyers' injury situation might heighten their interest in a possible Forsberg return.

Left wing Simon Gagne sat out the final two periods of a 4-3 loss Sunday in Pittsburgh with a concussion, his second this season, and will be evaluated Monday. Gagne missed 26 games from Nov. 8-Jan. 8 with the same problem.

Right wing Scottie Upshall (high ankle sprain) was hurt last week and is expected to miss at least several more games.

Flyers GM: Agent says Forsberg mum on return for at least a week

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3240037

PITTSBURGH -- Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren isn't optimistic that longtime NHL star Peter Forsberg will rejoin the team this week.

Holmgren traveled to Sweden earlier this month to speak to Forsberg about returning to Philadelphia. Forsberg, a former league MVP who won two Stanley Cups with Colorado, played 1½ seasons with Philadelphia before being traded to Nashville late last season.

Forsberg's agent, Don Baizley, called Holmgren during the weekend and said Forsberg won't make any decision for at least a week.

"He has a big decision to make, so he needs a little more time," Holmgren said Sunday.

The 34-year-old Forsberg hasn't played this season due to foot and ankle injuries and, until recently, wasn't dropping any hints that he was considering a return to the NHL. He has ruled out playing for his former Swedish team.

"We seem to be spending a lot of time talking about Peter but, until we actually know he is coming back to the NHL, it is sort of a moot point," Holmgren said. "I am still not convinced he is coming back to the NHL. A lot of people seem to think that he is coming to the Flyers, but I certainly don't feel that way."

However, Holmgren also wasn't told that Forsberg definitely won't return to the Flyers.

"Other than the fact that we have not gotten a call and other teams did [that Forsberg isn't interested in playing for them], well, that leaves us in the game, I guess," Holmgren said.

Forsberg has 248 goals and 623 assists for 871 points in 697 NHL games. He had 30 goals and 85 assists in 100 games with Philadelphia the previous two seasons.

The Flyers' injury situation might heighten their interest in a possible Forsberg return.

Left wing Simon Gagne sat out the final two periods of a 4-3 loss Sunday in Pittsburgh with a concussion, his second this season, and will be evaluated Monday. Gagne missed 26 games from Nov. 8-Jan. 8 with the same problem.

Right wing Scottie Upshall (high ankle sprain) was hurt last week and is expected to miss at least several more games.

that's a relief. the last thing i need is for every team in the eastern conference to get better except for us. phew, for now at least... ;)

Guest GoHabsGo57

Won't make a huge difference with them. I still think the Flames or Canucks will win the NW Division. :P

Poor Eklund... he thought Forsberg was going to sign with his Flyers! :lol::lol: AND, it was TSN who reported it not him! :P:P

Guest Iceman1509

Awesome deal for the Avs. Only signed for the rest of the season. If he lights it up then the benefit and if he flops then all it cost them was a few bucks. Probably the best deadline deal any team will make this year lol.

Archived