The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mn Administration

GIJAYNE

Congrats to another MNer (1970Hab) on his added duties as one of the latest Mods. I'm willing to bet that you'll do a great job, after all the preparation the MN thread has made to thicken that skin of yours. If you can handle us weirdos, then the world is your oyster. :lol:

Congrats to another MNer (1970Hab) on his added duties as one of the latest Mods. I'm willing to bet that you'll do a great job, after all the preparation the MN thread has made to thicken that skin of yours. If you can handle us weirdos, then the world is your oyster. :lol:

Thanks HTL. I am still the same old guy in the same old clothes.

You guys are great. Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I will disappear.

"I'll be back" for more fun next year.

Wait!!!!!!!!!! What am I thinking this year's playoffs are not over yet. :blink::lol:

I better get back on the ice.

Habsolutelly...congrats to BOTH new mods.

I should point out AK was a valuable part of our little organization in here as the Caps scout. To be honest I never would have made it to the playoffs had it not been for his insight on the late rally the Caps had to make the playoffs :D

As for 1970...what can I say. One of the most active members in here. I'm very proud that more MNers are being drafted as mods. This goes to show what a great little sub-forum we have going here. Everyone in here is a class act (well maybe except that smiegel guy, but the Admiral is awesome :P)

I hope the both of you follow in ryderfan, Kindred, WinnipegJet, (sry I jknow I'm forgetting someone here...) footsteps, and stick around with us even though you are on to bigger and greater things. I know you'll both have less time for us weirods, but IO sure hope you still do drop in once in a while and remain part of the executive team.

Habsolutelly...congrats to BOTH new mods.

I should point out AK was a valuable part of our little organization in here as the Caps scout. To be honest I never would have made it to the playoffs had it not been for his insight on the late rally the Caps had to make the playoffs :D

As for 1970...what can I say. One of the most active members in here. I'm very proud that more MNers are being drafted as mods. This goes to show what a great little sub-forum we have going here. Everyone in here is a class act (well maybe except that smiegel guy, but the Admiral is awesome :P)

I hope the both of you follow in ryderfan, Kindred, WinnipegJet, (sry I jknow I'm forgetting someone here...) footsteps, and stick around with us even though you are on to bigger and greater things. I know you'll both have less time for us weirods, but IO sure hope you still do drop in once in a while and remain part of the executive team.

Yes,,,how could i possibly forget about AK :blink: . Senility slowly taking over. :lol:

Congrats to you also AK. Both you guys rock. ;)

No worries here. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

haha i don't think i've ever done one of those giant windmill ones. but one near my house is set in a mount with a (real water...dunno if yours was fake as in not real setting or fake as in the water is painted on something) waterfall and its the hardest place to not lose your ball lol.

haha i don't think i've ever done one of those giant windmill ones. but one near my house is set in a mount with a (real water...dunno if yours was fake as in not real setting or fake as in the water is painted on something) waterfall and its the hardest place to not lose your ball lol.

Yeah I got one of those near my place as well. I think the "mountain/waterfall" course is generic around town. Unfortunately I'm black listed in all of them. There was...an incident. There is just too much fun to be had when playing around a course with girls in hot pants, and unlimited supply of stick and ball jokes to be made courtesy of my perverse brain.

Yeah I got one of those near my place as well. I think the "mountain/waterfall" course is generic around town. Unfortunately I'm black listed in all of them. There was...an incident. There is just too much fun to be had when playing around a course with girls in hot pants, and unlimited supply of stick and ball jokes to be made courtesy of my perverse brain.

haha especially if you're on a course were they give you coloured balls and you just so happen to get one of a certain colour :o (haha and billiards/pool isn't as great with those types of jokes ) lol. but i won't ask about the incident. haha i've never been to one of those ri-golfers things though... wonder what those are like...haha (i was going to ask how we got to a mini-golf discussion but then realised i was the one who brought it up in the first place lol)

and reminder to self...don't wear hot pants when playing mini putt lol

lets not worry about next year. we need players now. there is no way we are even close to the salary cap.

we can not get any big names signed so we have to have lots of $$ left. Why can't we pull a deal.

Are we afraid to spend...players are way over paid but to get something big we have to pay to get them.

we have to get in the right century.....we lost ryder, streit...streit is the big loss as far as i see it.and we still have players

not signed..we have to stop being cheap and spend.....but spend responsibily. no spend no impact players....

Agreed, thread will be closed, but wanted to get in a quick comment about Streit.

He is far from a big loss. He is a loss for sure, but last year when the majority of people in here were arguing about our PP going to the brown stuff with Souray's departure I (and very few others) were arguing that Souray was not the man who made the powerplay. The Kovalev and Markhov tandem was. Streit played the exact same position Souray did and was just as successful. Any player with a decent shot and a decent vision of play will excel playing the point with those two, so the hole left by Mark will be easy to fill.

Furthermore, it is my opinion (and apparently BG's) that we do not have to embark on this crazy spending spree to get good players. We locked up Kostitsyn for cheaper than Boston locked up Ryder for the same amount of time. I'm not saying Ryder is a poor player, far from it, however I don't think there is an argument that Kostitsyn is a better one. And the point I'm trying to make here isn't who's better than who, but how one can obtain good players for cheaper than these crazy sums of money players get during the UFA frenzy. One has to be patient, have an understanding of money management, and always keep the bigger picture in mind.

There will be a time where slightly overpaying a player will be worth it, but it has to be the opportune player at the opportune time. And as a closing remark I would like to point out that our rivals in Toronto have long functioned with the credo of "you have to spend big bucks to get players...that is the reality". JFJ and Bob took over their respectful teams at roughly the same time. I ask, who's better off?

Patience is a virtue and it will go a long way in money and team management. Gilette has given Gainey permission to spend to the cap limit maximum. We have only 10M left. With that money we have a lot of responsibilities to take care of with respect to our core next year. I don't know about you, but I'm getting used to watching a team perform and win on a regular basis, and I am not ready to loose half the core because we're out of funds next year due to it being lockecd in on one or two overpaid players. So why does he keep all that money you (and many wonder)?

None of us can be sure what his plans are. However I do know that as the weeks go by and teams lock up their funds for multi years, all of a sudden BG will be one of the few who can afford to add players. When players come asking you for a job, you can bet your last buck the price tag is 25-50% off than if you chase them now. There will be plenty of pickings when the time comes, albeit not a super-star, but some talented players none the less. Furthermore, come trade deadline, once again Bob will be one of the few who will have funds to play with, and can thus take on a few rental players, including super-stars who want a shot at the cup.

Bob is of a rare breed. He's not impulsive, understands money management, and has more patience than any of us. This is why Dallas is where it is now (even 5 years after he left) and this is why we have improved as a team over the years (slowly but surely). Points and results are circumstantial, but we all watch the games, and we can all agree that regardless of the standings, the team has gotten better and more consistent. We've had less "lucky" wins and have become the favorites more and more often.

Haven't you all read the turtle and the hare? Slow and steady wins the race. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

i know some of you are still out on the golf courses or enjoying the sun...

but well i wanted to see if anyone would be interested in making the MN a little special during the 100th year of our beloved club.

not to mention the 4th season of MN(the big 5 is next season! w00t!)

well, anyone got any suggestions?

i know some of you are still out on the golf courses or enjoying the sun...

but well i wanted to see if anyone would be interested in making the MN a little special during the 100th year of our beloved club.

not to mention the 4th season of MN(the big 5 is next season! w00t!)

well, anyone got any suggestions?

There is no sun in newfoundland, only fog.

I think we could try and get as much people as possible though. Fill er up.

We should try to arrange more game night get togethers. The last time we got togeather to watch the game we had our superb comeback against Buffalo. The MN magic definitely extends to the ice and we should make the effort to maximize it for our centennial cup run.

I'd also be willing to get together in late August/September for a pre-season bash.

We should try to arrange more game night get togethers. The last time we got togeather to watch the game we had our superb comeback against Buffalo. The MN magic definitely extends to the ice and we should make the effort to maximize it for our centennial cup run.

I'd also be willing to get together in late August/September for a pre-season bash.

hmmm i can agree to that!

more good times at the cage are always fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Well one more month and we can begin getting organized for the centennial MN preparations :D

In the meanwhile I thought I would peak in on this special day of birth and send out a hiiiidddyyyyy hhooooooooooo to anyone who is as inpatient as myself and peaks at any updated posts in our humble sub-forum.

PS What's the name of that big UFA in Europe we're supposed to have made an offer to? It's been so long my wee little brain can't even remember anymore. :P

Well one more month and we can begin getting organized for the centennial MN preparations :D

In the meanwhile I thought I would peak in on this special day of birth and send out a hiiiidddyyyyy hhooooooooooo to anyone who is as inpatient as myself and peaks at any updated posts in our humble sub-forum.

PS What's the name of that big UFA in Europe we're supposed to have made an offer to? It's been so long my wee little brain can't even remember anymore. :P

Hibernating in the summer HLD? :D

If I promise not to edit any of my predictions to skewer the win column (with my new found super duper editing powers) ;); is there any trouble with a Mod (me of course) playing the predictions game.

Hate to miss out on the comraderie of HTL, Cenner Hice, Mat and and the rest of the gang (besides someone has gotta keep things honest with all the bribing that goes on with CH). :lol:

Cheers!

Hibernating in the summer HLD? :D

If I promise not to edit any of my predictions to skewer the win column (with my new found super duper editing powers) ;); is there any trouble with a Mod (me of course) playing the predictions game.

Hate to miss out on the comraderie of HTL, Cenner Hice, Mat and and the rest of the gang (besides someone has gotta keep things honest with all the bribing that goes on with CH). :lol:

Cheers!

Well the masses haven't had a problem with me and my editing powers playing. CH keeps us all honest sine his standings are kept external. In my case no one cares cause I was bottom of the pack lol, and in yur case, if you're near the top again, everyone will keep track and keep you honest :D

It's always nice to see MN users gone mods, sticking around even with the additional workload. We must be the thread/sub-forum with the most active mod participation...other than the game day thread which needs policing rivaling a 70 protest.

Third week of August. Just a few more weeks now and we can get back into the groove of things :D

Well the masses haven't had a problem with me and my editing powers playing. CH keeps us all honest sine his standings are kept external. In my case no one cares cause I was bottom of the pack lol, and in yur case, if you're near the top again, everyone will keep track and keep you honest :D

It's always nice to see MN users gone mods, sticking around even with the additional workload. We must be the thread/sub-forum with the most active mod participation...other than the game day thread which needs policing rivaling a 70 protest.

Third week of August. Just a few more weeks now and we can get back into the groove of things :D

i havent forgotten you guys!

been checking in and out...its remarkable how little i visit the forums at all when MN is offline! meh, thats life i guess.

with university and habs hockey barking around the corner, ill find something to rant about every now and then. hoping the rest of you join in too!

this aint no one man show soldiers! this is a movement!

enjoy the rest of the summer yall!

reporting back for duty hopefully sooner than later! w00t!

• 2 weeks later...

How very very strange! :blink:

I was just sitting at my desk thinking about matters "Hockey" and it occurred to me that I'd heard no news about that Swedish player. For the life of me, I couldn't remember his name for about a minute. Genuinely! I sat with my head in my hands trying to remember.

...and by the way,

100 in Roman numerals is... 'C'

the '00s in English start with 'H'

The 1st letter of Centenary is 'C'

No coincidence there (with a bit of artistic licence)

Archived