The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mn The Countdown - The Official Update

GIJAYNE

HLD_sig.jpg

SIMPLIFY, FRUSTRATE AND DOMINATE

In recent weeks we have had great highs and terrible lows. The HABS performance seems as consistent as a senior’s bowel movements, and as a result Le Journal has been printing what comes out of a senior’s bowel movements.

With the trading deadline and the hype surrounding it, the players have been more than distracted and I can’t blame them for it. However with the standings the way they are and teams around us making charges, now is the time to get the gears grinding, and get this team back on track.

Our secret to our 0.750 winning average from earlier in the season was a simple one. Keep the game plan simple and frustrate the opponent:

[*]In the defensive zone the priority should get back to getting the puck out of the zone at any cost. By any cost I refer to dumping the puck off the boards and over the blue line, even if it means ending up with the opposing team’s defence and resulting in another attempt to break into our zone. Even if we can’t make a transition play at first, by continuously rejecting attempts to enter our zone, we can frustrate the opponent into trying new and fancy moves in the neutral zone and give up odd man rushes for our guys.

[*] On offense we should get back to keeping the puck deep in their zone, and fighting along the boards. In a similar fashion to the logic on defence, by continuously “wasting” the opposing team’s offensive line’s shifts chasing us along the boards, we can frustrate them and in the long run break down their game plan. With the exception of Kovalev’s line, all three offensive lines had great success grinding along the boards. Kovalev of course has had his best success prancing around the offensive zone, often travelling along and around the boards first, and then pulling some moves that make me wonder about his joints, or lack thereof.

The game plan has to be simple. Simplify, disturb the other team’s game plan, and frustrate them into breaking down. We have been on the receiving end of frustration and breaking down too often via giveaways as a result of trying to make a fancy play. Although they loko good on the highlight reel, this game remains the domain of those who grind on every shift and get their noses dirty.

I’ll be very curious to see our game play execution tonight and the following weeks. If the coaching staff and players have not had the paradigm shift to bring things back down to earth, we could be in for a few more rough games.

NL STANDINGS FEBRUARY 26, 2008:

POST.jpg

its another game after a trade deadline which might or might not change the face of this team on the ice.

personally i see it as a chance for all the players who stick around to step up there game and thank the trust bob gainey and co showed them.

im hoping for a good game and a habs win. this is also the priceberg's chance at redemption and maybe a little more if he impresses!

GO HABS GO!!!

its another game after a trade deadline which might or might not change the face of this team on the ice.

personally i see it as a chance for all the players who stick around to step up there game and thank the trust bob gainey and co showed them.

im hoping for a good game and a habs win. this is also the priceberg's chance at redemption and maybe a little more if he impresses!

GO HABS GO!!!

HAs it been confirmed that Price is in nets tonight?

Guest hatethoseleafs

Feels like awhile since i've been able to say this but here goes...

WOOT and UPDATE

Good game by the boys tonight and Price wins his first of many as the Habs #1 goalie.

I know Higgins has been rumured to be in that deal for Hossa and he played like a huge weight was lifted off his shoulders knowing he's still here. Good to see him and Koivu's line have a big game.

Campbelless Bananas are next.... ;)

Guest hatethoseleafs

Our remaining games--9 HOME --9 Road

Back To Back Games in RED

Canadiens Sabres ( Feb 29 )

Devils Canadiens ( Mar 1 )

Canadiens Sharks ( Mar 3 )

Canadiens Coyotes ( Mar 6 )

Canadiens Kings ( Mar 8 )

Canadiens Ducks ( Mar 9 )

Devils Canadiens ( Mar 11 )

Senators Canadiens ( Mar 13 )

Islanders Canadiens ( Mar 15 )

Blues Canadiens ( Mar 18 )

Canadiens Bruins ( Mar 20 )

Bruins Canadiens ( Mar 22)

Senators Canadiens ( Mar 24 )

Canadiens Sabres ( Mar 28 )

Canadiens Maple Leafs ( Mar 29 )

Canadiens Senators ( Apr 1 )

Sabres Canadiens ( Apr 3 )

Maple Leafs Canadiens ( Apr 5 )

Feels like awhile since i've been able to say this but here goes...

WOOT and UPDATE

Good game by the boys tonight and Price wins his first of many as the Habs #1 goalie.

I know Higgins has been rumured to be in that deal for Hossa and he played like a huge weight was lifted off his shoulders knowing he's still here. Good to see him and Koivu's line have a big game.

Campbelless Bananas are next.... ;)

oh sweet vindication for trusting bob gainey!!!

UPDATE IT DAGZ!!! NOW MAN!!!

quit making juniors ;)

Guest chocolate

I am going back and will be on the plane till Thursday night. Therefore here is bonus the coverage for the next 2 nights combined. BTW have you noticed the Division MN is now less, than Home-ice MN?

MN Bonus available for 2008.02.27,28:

...2 bonuses - almost likely - if EITHER of the following 2 happen:

...... Buffalo loses in regulation to Nashville on Wednesday

...... Philadelphia loses in regulation to Ottawa on Thursday

...1 bonus - likely - if EITHER of the following 3 happen:

...... Buffalo loses

...... Philadelphia loses

...... NY Rangers lose in regulation to Carolina on Thursday

Home-ice Bonus

...1 or 2 bonuses - if Pittsburgh loses to Boston on Thursday

Division Bonus

...1 or 2 bonuses - if Ottawa loses on Thursday

MN pace - 2.1 points per habs game

Next MN milestone: 25 - current Mn forecast: Mar. 3rd

Member predictions:

#1 - Mar 1st, vs. NJ (made on Feb.6, MN 46)

Admiral - Mar 3rd, vs. SJ (Feb.6, MN 46)

Chocolate - Feb 26th, vs. Atl (Feb.8, MN 44)

CH - Mar 6th, vs Phx (Feb 13, MN 43)

Reached milestones:

MN 125 - Nov.13th, predicted by AK (Oct. 29, MN 141)

MN 99 - Dec.15th, predicted by HLD (Nov. 15, MN 123)

MN 75 - Jan.8th, predicted by HHFR (Dec. 22, MN 99)

MN 50 - Feb.2nd, predicted by mateus (Jan. 15, MN 71)

MN on Oct. 2 was - 165

MN on Oct. 31 was - 139 (drop by 26 in 11 games, pace 2.36)

MN on Nov. 30 was - 113 (drop by 26 in 14 games, pace 1.86)

MN on Dec. 31 was - 86 (drop by 27 in 14 games, pace 1.92)

MN on Jan. 31 was - 52 (drop by 34 in 12 games, pace 2.83)

Current MN - 31 (drop by 21 in 13 games in February, pace 1.62)

Note, the pace of 2 MN points per habs game is the border line between playoffs and golf pastures. If the pace is higher then 2, the habs are heading to the playoffs. If it is less than 2, we are out. If it is exactly 2, it is a tie break situation.

MN forecast by the end of February - 29 (at the beginning of February the forecast was 21, the best is 21 and the worst 29).

I am going back and will be on the plane till Thursday night. Therefore here is bonus the coverage for the next 2 nights combined. BTW have you noticed the Division MN is now less, than Home-ice MN?

MN Bonus available for 2008.02.27,28:

...2 bonuses - almost likely - if EITHER of the following 2 happen:

...... Buffalo loses in regulation to Nashville on Wednesday

...... Philadelphia loses in regulation to Ottawa on Thursday

...1 bonus - likely - if EITHER of the following 3 happen:

...... Buffalo loses

...... Philadelphia loses

...... NY Rangers lose in regulation to Carolina on Thursday

Home-ice Bonus

...1 or 2 bonuses - if Pittsburgh loses to Boston on Thursday

Division Bonus

...1 or 2 bonuses - if Ottawa loses on Thursday

MN pace - 2.1 points per habs game

Next MN milestone: 25 - current Mn forecast: Mar. 3rd

Member predictions:

#1 - Mar 1st, vs. NJ (made on Feb.6, MN 46)

Admiral - Mar 3rd, vs. SJ (Feb.6, MN 46)

Chocolate - Feb 26th, vs. Atl (Feb.8, MN 44)

CH - Mar 6th, vs Phx (Feb 13, MN 43)

Reached milestones:

MN 125 - Nov.13th, predicted by AK (Oct. 29, MN 141)

MN 99 - Dec.15th, predicted by HLD (Nov. 15, MN 123)

MN 75 - Jan.8th, predicted by HHFR (Dec. 22, MN 99)

MN 50 - Feb.2nd, predicted by mateus (Jan. 15, MN 71)

MN on Oct. 2 was - 165

MN on Oct. 31 was - 139 (drop by 26 in 11 games, pace 2.36)

MN on Nov. 30 was - 113 (drop by 26 in 14 games, pace 1.86)

MN on Dec. 31 was - 86 (drop by 27 in 14 games, pace 1.92)

MN on Jan. 31 was - 52 (drop by 34 in 12 games, pace 2.83)

Current MN - 31 (drop by 21 in 13 games in February, pace 1.62)

Note, the pace of 2 MN points per habs game is the border line between playoffs and golf pastures. If the pace is higher then 2, the habs are heading to the playoffs. If it is less than 2, we are out. If it is exactly 2, it is a tie break situation.

MN forecast by the end of February - 29 (at the beginning of February the forecast was 21, the best is 21 and the worst 29).

wow! talk about some free points! w00t!

HLD_sig.jpg

DO I HAVE TO SAY IT?

Everyone else has had their shot at rationalizing the results of yesterday's trade deadline results, so why should I be left out. As a wanna be philosopher I'll point out that I am a big believer in and an advocate Occam's razor: The simplest explanation is the most probable one.

The simple fact is that Gainey tried to get Hossa in Montreal, but the price was too steep. From what I understand Gainey was not given the opportunity to speak with Hossa about a long term contract prior to making a bid, thus leaving him as no more than a sniper for hire as far as this trade deadline was concerned. With that said, my guess is that we offered Grabovski and a mediocre draft pick (say a second round pick in 2009) thus leaving the core of the current and future team intact.

As is the case with every UFA market and trade deadline since the introduction of the salary cap, it takes one overzealous and short-sighted GM to blow all other sensible offers out of the water. It’s reminiscent of attending an art auction with a rich drunk Texan who has more money than he knows what to do with, and is out-bidding you for the sake of bidding. Hair brained possum droppings like the rich Texan wouldn't know the concept of value if it hit him in the face with a 2 by 4 in the back alley.

Bottom line is there is nothing Bob Gainey could have done about Ray Shero overpaying (and that’s an understatement) for a Hossa, even if he signs long term with the team

Anyone who believes overpaying is the only way to improve in the new NHL and doesn't see the inherent evil for the short, medium and long run for a team, need not look any further than our eternal rivals to the west. The Toronto Maple Leafs have continuously overpaid and overvalued their players, and never hesitated to mortgage their future for short term gains. Needless to say we all know how that worked out for them.

Tomorrow I’ll delve into the goaltender issue; mainly Huet’s trade, the return on the, and the Price era.

NL STANDINGS FEBRUARY 27, 2008:

POST.jpg

DO I HAVE TO SAY IT?

Everyone else has had their shot at rationalizing the results of yesterday's trade deadline results, so why should I be left out. As a wanna be philosopher I'll point out that I am a big believer in and an advocate Occam's razor: The simplest explanation is the most probable one.

The simple fact is that Gainey tried to get Hossa in Montreal, but the price was too steep. From what I understand Gainey was not given the opportunity to speak with Hossa about a long term contract prior to making a bid, thus leaving him as no more than a sniper for hire as far as this trade deadline was concerned. With that said, my guess is that we offered Grabovski and a mediocre draft pick (say a second round pick in 2009) thus leaving the core of the current and future team intact.

As is the case with every UFA market and trade deadline since the introduction of the salary cap, it takes one overzealous and short-sighted GM to blow all other sensible offers out of the water. It’s reminiscent of attending an art auction with a rich drunk Texan who has more money than he knows what to do with, and is out-bidding you for the sake of bidding. Hair brained possum droppings like the rich Texan wouldn't know the concept of value if it hit him in the face with a 2 by 4 in the back alley.

Bottom line is there is nothing Bob Gainey could have done about Ray Shero overpaying (and that’s an understatement) for a Hossa, even if he signs long term with the team

Anyone who believes overpaying is the only way to improve in the new NHL and doesn't see the inherent evil for the short, medium and long run for a team, need not look any further than our eternal rivals to the west. The Toronto Maple Leafs have continuously overpaid and overvalued their players, and never hesitated to mortgage their future for short term gains. Needless to say we all know how that worked out for them.

Tomorrow I’ll delve into the goaltender issue; mainly Huet’s trade, the return on the, and the Price era.

Well said HLD... and I agree. And though I must say I was somewhat dissapointed that once again BG failed to land and impact player (and I don't mean Hossa as a rental) I am happy to see the Habs make the committment to go with their youth as of now (Logical result - I hope it continues and we don't see continued line changes all over the place from here on out). At least we now know the direction more precisesly (I think?).

Guest hatethoseleafs

Definitely in agreement on this point.My jaw dropped when i saw what it actually took to pry this guy out of Atlanta for less then a quarter season. As the day went on it became apparent that a GM was gonna make a panic move and grossly overpay. Credit to Waddell for turning a leaving asset into a super return. When i try to fathom what it would have taken on our part to get this guy,,,,, i shudder and thank god our GM is a sane person. ;)

HLD_sig.jpg

DO I HAVE TO SAY IT?

NL STANDINGS FEBRUARY 27, 2008:

POST.jpg

well puts dagz, well put!

personally im not the least bit surprised or disapointed in yesterday's gambles. we did trade away a team player who was surprisingly good in our jersey and will be mediocre in every other shirt(hey! w00t for once!) he was thanked, chanted and will be missed. but im also very glad at this bold move.

lets face it with price in the drivers seat, now is the time for him to bag that much needed NHL experience to cash in on being the only player who's name can be said in the same breath as sid the kid from that faithful draft! good luck to ya kid!

-Matt

HLD_sig.jpg

THE YOUNGEST GOALTENDER TANDEM IN THE LEAGUE

Here is the deal: Many arm chair GM’s are trying to rationalise the Huet trade by tying it in with the expectations for Hossa. If there is one thing we should all know about Gainey is that he does not take big risks. Had the Huet trade (or rather giveaway) be linked to the Hossa deal, it would have waited till later on in the day. Bottom line, Huet left because it was in Bob’s plans.

With that in mind, let us take a quick look at what happened. We got a 2nd round draft pick for next year’s draft pool (which is deemed weaker than this year’s group) for a number 1 goaltender. At first glance you wonder if Mr. Bob had one too many Enchiladas for lunch to slow down the old Gulliver.

But let us look at the bigger picture here. Obviously we know now that the higher administration had no intention or plans of signing Huet for another deal come this year’s UFA frenzy. They were clearly ready to give the reigns to the young goaltenders who have proven their worth in the AHL. So we hold on to Huet for 5 more weeks and we get bubkas. We give him up now and we get a decent draft pick. Not too shabby.

The question then becomes, would Huet being around for 5 more weeks make a difference in our fate. This is where the topic is up for discussion. In my measly opinion Huet has proven to be an outstanding goaltender. He has performed beyond expectations and showed that the stretch where he replaced Jose Theodore was not a flash in the pan. The team has a great winning percentage with him in net, and he is a wonderful team player and role model for the youngsters. However he has also shown that under pressure (whether the playoffs, or with Price biting at his heels) he breaks down. And not a little, I mean really breaks down. Those few games he played when Price came back from the AHL, he let in so many softies I though Theodore had snuck back in the locker room and hit the ice in Huet’s jersey.

Price on the other hand has proven that he has much to learn. He has the technique and the natural talent, but he is far from reaching his potential, and not quite yet a bonified NHL calibre #1 goaltender. He does however thrive under pressure and perform at his best. He has risen to the challenge every time. His current problems are consistency and lack of confidence in guarding an NHL net.

SO here are your two players and as a coach you have to decide with 18 games left before the playoffs, who is your guy? Well Huet had a chance to show off his stuff on two separate occasions, both as #1. In fact last year he dropped the ball for us in the final game on the season, when the coach gave him the ultimate vote of confidence and replaced a hot and consistent Halak in net upon his return from an injury. So would betting the company payroll on Huet work out this time? Is the third time the charm?

On the other hand you have Price who hasn’t had a shot yet. Based on the fact that he plays his best games under pressure is a good fit going in to the playoffs. Last year under similar circumstances, he was given the reigns to the Hamilton Bulldogs with a hand full of games in the regular season and he PROVED to the world he can run with the bulls. Furthermore, thinking ahead, for a goaltender who lacks in consistency and confidence, is there any better way to give him the opportunity to be consistent and give him the confidence boost he needs than to announce to the world the whole Montreal Canadiens organization is behind the decision of making him #1?

If I may sum up post, going with either goalie would have been a gamble. Given our future aspirations, Price’s past experiences (mainly in the AHL last year) and the psychological hurdles each goaltender faces, going with Price is a no brainer. It is by far the LEAST risky choice, and even if it doesn’t work out it will pay off future dividends in the form of playoff experience, confidence boost, and psychological support. And this is just the effects on Price. Can you imagine the confidence boost and general good will in the locker room? For a team packed with players under the age of 25 on the main roster, the administrations confidence and support of youngsters is fuel that is seldom found around the league.

The decision made by the management has a high potential of working out in the short run, and regardless will yield unimaginable returns in the future. And on top of it all we get an extra draft pick that is relatively high in the pecking order. If this isn’t remarkable General Management, than I don’t know what is.

NL STANDINGS FEBRUARY 28, 2008:

POST.jpg

HLD_sig.jpg

THE YOUNGEST GOALTENDER TANDEM IN THE LEAGUE

Here is the deal: Many arm chair GM’s are trying to rationalise the Huet trade by tying it in with the expectations for Hossa. If there is one thing we should all know about Gainey is that he does not take big risks. Had the Huet trade (or rather giveaway) be linked to the Hossa deal, it would have waited till later on in the day. Bottom line, Huet left because it was in Bob’s plans.

With that in mind, let us take a quick look at what happened. We got a 2nd round draft pick for next year’s draft pool (which is deemed weaker than this year’s group) for a number 1 goaltender. At first glance you wonder if Mr. Bob had one too many Enchiladas for lunch to slow down the old Gulliver.

But let us look at the bigger picture here. Obviously we know now that the higher administration had no intention or plans of signing Huet for another deal come this year’s UFA frenzy. They were clearly ready to give the reigns to the young goaltenders who have proven their worth in the AHL. So we hold on to Huet for 5 more weeks and we get bubkas. We give him up now and we get a decent draft pick. Not too shabby.

The question then becomes, would Huet being around for 5 more weeks make a difference in our fate. This is where the topic is up for discussion. In my measly opinion Huet has proven to be an outstanding goaltender. He has performed beyond expectations and showed that the stretch where he replaced Jose Theodore was not a flash in the pan. The team has a great winning percentage with him in net, and he is a wonderful team player and role model for the youngsters. However he has also shown that under pressure (whether the playoffs, or with Price biting at his heels) he breaks down. And not a little, I mean really breaks down. Those few games he played when Price came back from the AHL, he let in so many softies I though Theodore had snuck back in the locker room and hit the ice in Huet’s jersey.

Price on the other hand has proven that he has much to learn. He has the technique and the natural talent, but he is far from reaching his potential, and not quite yet a bonified NHL calibre #1 goaltender. He does however thrive under pressure and perform at his best. He has risen to the challenge every time. His current problems are consistency and lack of confidence in guarding an NHL net.

SO here are your two players and as a coach you have to decide with 18 games left before the playoffs, who is your guy? Well Huet had a chance to show off his stuff on two separate occasions, both as #1. In fact last year he dropped the ball for us in the final game on the season, when the coach gave him the ultimate vote of confidence and replaced a hot and consistent Halak in net upon his return from an injury. So would betting the company payroll on Huet work out this time? Is the third time the charm?

On the other hand you have Price who hasn’t had a shot yet. Based on the fact that he plays his best games under pressure is a good fit going in to the playoffs. Last year under similar circumstances, he was given the reigns to the Hamilton Bulldogs with a hand full of games in the regular season and he PROVED to the world he can run with the bulls. Furthermore, thinking ahead, for a goaltender who lacks in consistency and confidence, is there any better way to give him the opportunity to be consistent and give him the confidence boost he needs than to announce to the world the whole Montreal Canadiens organization is behind the decision of making him #1?

If I may sum up post, going with either goalie would have been a gamble. Given our future aspirations, Price’s past experiences (mainly in the AHL last year) and the psychological hurdles each goaltender faces, going with Price is a no brainer. It is by far the LEAST risky choice, and even if it doesn’t work out it will pay off future dividends in the form of playoff experience, confidence boost, and psychological support. And this is just the effects on Price. Can you imagine the confidence boost and general good will in the locker room? For a team packed with players under the age of 25 on the main roster, the administrations confidence and support of youngsters is fuel that is seldom found around the league.

The decision made by the management has a high potential of working out in the short run, and regardless will yield unimaginable returns in the future. And on top of it all we get an extra draft pick that is relatively high in the pecking order. If this isn’t remarkable General Management, than I don’t know what is.

NL STANDINGS FEBRUARY 28, 2008:

POST.jpg

relatively quiet around here in the past few days...is everyone working on midterms like yours truly?

anyways...id like to say i didnt look at the risk factor of the trade dagz, aka the BG big picture. i had to defend gainey yesterday and today not only on these forums(which can be a heck of a task let me tell you!) but also in class, hallways, computer labs, on the bus, metro, in the car, screaming at the radio....needless to say, BG was not everyone's fave GM within the past few days and i dont think he will be for the rest of this season...

as so many people have ignorantly put it: if they win the cup, bob will be crowned a genius for seing that price was ready for the big shot, if not he'll be crowned an idiot for letting go of there "#1 goalie".

i love it how only in montreal could such a minor, insignificant deal turn into a make or break the season deal...no one envisions that this team could be regularly fighting for the north eastern championship for years to come...no one realises that this team will make more than one appearence at the eastern conference finals within the next 5-10 years...no one sees that this team is no longer a lucky gutter team which makes the playoffs by the skin of there frozen bums.

*sigh* its just sad to think that were blessed with such a great GM, and the only time he'll get a pat on the back is when this team lifts lord stanley's silverware...well not here!

thank you bob, and keep up the good work!

w00t!

Guest Tamara84

Ya I guess were all in mid terms. I don't have midterms I just have so many projects to be handed in that's why I am not on much. Anyway I am still upset that Bob traded Huet. But in a way I am glad since I get to see Price play and probably become the number 1 goaler.

relatively quiet around here in the past few days...is everyone working on midterms like yours truly?

anyways...id like to say i didnt look at the risk factor of the trade dagz, aka the BG big picture. i had to defend gainey yesterday and today not only on these forums(which can be a heck of a task let me tell you!) but also in class, hallways, computer labs, on the bus, metro, in the car, screaming at the radio....needless to say, BG was not everyone's fave GM within the past few days and i dont think he will be for the rest of this season...

as so many people have ignorantly put it: if they win the cup, bob will be crowned a genius for seing that price was ready for the big shot, if not he'll be crowned an idiot for letting go of there "#1 goalie".

i love it how only in montreal could such a minor, insignificant deal turn into a make or break the season deal...no one envisions that this team could be regularly fighting for the north eastern championship for years to come...no one realises that this team will make more than one appearence at the eastern conference finals within the next 5-10 years...no one sees that this team is no longer a lucky gutter team which makes the playoffs by the skin of there frozen bums.

*sigh* its just sad to think that were blessed with such a great GM, and the only time he'll get a pat on the back is when this team lifts lord stanley's silverware...well not here!

thank you bob, and keep up the good work!

w00t!

we have nothing clinched yet, we may very well still need the skin on our bums

HLD_sig.jpg

BANANAS, IN PYJAMAS, ARE COMING IN OUR ZONE…

The Sabres have had our number this year, and unfortunately they’re going to be even harder to beat this time around with the Sabres locker room feeling re-energized. Their acquisition in the trade deadline has paid dividends already with two goals and an assist in his debut, and everyone seems rallied to make the charge during the next five weeks.

The Montreal Canadiens locker room however is not flying high. Why? We just won a game with a convincing third period, and there should be confidence galore with the coaching staff’s and managements vote of confidence in them? Well when you Assistant Captain (Chrissy) answers the goaltender issue with: “uuuhhh….it’s tough….players are used to having that experienced goalie in the room….uuuummmmm….and this is of course a bit weird. But we’ll do our best and work with what we have”

My first reaction to this was AAAAAoRDP4MAAAAAAD2Z5w.jpg

My second reaction to this was jawdrop.gif

And the third reaction was Emotions_Smile_icon_EMOTICON_ANGRY_2978.jpg

First error is that you should never express negative sentiment to the media…especially the Monteral media who could potentially turn it into big pile of poo poo. Next problem is at a time when everyone should be feeling good that their future is in their own hands and not a hired gun, should be thankful and extra motivated to do the job. Third of all, as an assistant captain, one should NEVER put down any of your team-mates, especially your number 1 goalie. Indirectly, Higgins gave Price a “meh” vote of confidence, and if I’m Carey Price I’m not happy. My goalie stick may or may not have a close encounter of the face kind during practice. But that’s why I could never be a professional athlete.

Tonight Price, Higgins, Koivu (who wasn’t flattering either) and the rest of the locker room has to get on the horse, play their solid grinding game, and shut down the Buffalo offense. I’m hoping, and am convinced, that the locker room is following Komisarek and Kovalev, who both have expressed positive reflections on the current roster.

Let me finish by touching on the Hossa issue. It serves Ray Shero right that he get punished for over paying a player and taking out all other sensible GM in the league. You may think it’s smart to give that extra and take out everyone else out of the bid, but personally I think giving a nugget of gold for a roll of scotch tape is NEVER a good trade. Now on top of that his roll of scotch tape is out of commission for a while.

Now I have no ill wishes against Hossa (never a good thing when a player gets injured…OK except Tie Domi), and no doubt that he is a wonderfully talented and consistent player. But I find it more than amusing that Yet another overzealous GM has given up so much potential for the future, and now may get his hired guns services for 2-3 weeks. This is even more amusing when one realises Hossa has not signed a long term contract, has not hinted at signing with the Pens, nor can the Pens afford him with Crosby and Malkin, and the rest of the crew. Of course I should be careful when I say that, because with Ray’s current process of thought, this team may sign all these players and hire garbage bags for the defensive core. I know another team that had superb offensive firing power with 2/3 players in the top 20 scoring leaders, but had to give up on defence to afford all of them. The Tampa Bay Lightning are currently last in the league, and as far as I can tell have no aspirations for the near future. They have one cup to show for it, granted, but if Sydney Crosby spends his career in Pittsburgh and hoists Lord Stanley’s Cup only once, than it would have been a career wasted.

Maybe this will be a learning experience for Ray. Perhaps he should call Bob and learn about building a team slowly but surely in a consistent and more importantly SUSTAINABLE fashion.

NL STANDINGS FEBRUARY 29, 2008:

POST.jpg

Archived