The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Mn The Countdown - The Official Update

GIJAYNE

NOTCH ONE MORE FEATHER ON THE CAP

It was gut-check time and a test of character for Mr. Price last night and a hefts test of character. Unfortunately the outcome was adverse, but hopefully he will take it as a learning experience and put it in his bag of tricks.

An unlucky goal, a goal which should not have been counted because of a blatantly missed goaltender interference call (not referring to Smokes here, but the third goal) and two other missed goaltender interference goals before the mid way point of the game was enough to throw our young net-minder off his game. We should give credit where credit is due. The Sharks had a clear game plan to disrupt Price’s tempo, and Price fallowed suit. Things could have been different if the refs would have called a fair game, but that also is something the players have to learn to deal with.

The unfortunate truth is rarely will these young jocs play a consistently fair game. The donkey droppings in zebra shirts change moods, tolerance levels and peripheral vision angles from minute to minute. Further more, each poop sack has a different way of judging the game, and interpreting the rules. Oh and in case you’re wondering, I can insult the NHL officiating team and get away with it because I’m not an established or professional journalist. So as Red Fisher has to refrain him self at “questionable call”, I can sit here and write a hundred things that supersede the officiating team in the order of life. Given limited space and time, I’ll limit the list to a random ten (these are in no particular order):

• A bucket of slime eel (if you don’t know what it looks like: http://assets.espn.go.com/winnercomm/outdo...i/p2-fish05.jpg )

• An elephant’s toe jam

• Michael Moore’s underpants after all you can eat burrito night at the Clinton’s residence

• Jerry’s remains

• That diaper full of HLD junior’s droppings I chucked at a passer by biker.

• A pack of gum

• A decomposed maggot

• A toothpick

• The sticky stuff Zorro the Beagle leaves behind after he has a round with on of our guest’s leg

• Rubber puke

The list can go on, but alas I must get back to work and catch up on my sleep I missed out last night. In the meanwhile if you would like to continue adding to the above list please feel free. I find it rather therapeutic.

Good call Number One... should of/could of been a different result. But also too bad that the Habs PP was in remission, while five on five was looking good. Get them both right at the same timer and look out... then it will be only the Refs who make the difference.

Walken should be walking... no, running to hide of embarassment with the "Bush-League" officiating the League has had to accept.

Guest chocolate

MN Bonus available for 2008.03.04:

...1 or 2 bonuses - if Buffalo loses to Philadelphia (2 bonuses if they lose in regulation)

Home-ice Bonus

...2 bonuses - if BOTH of the following happen

...... Pittsburgh loses in regulation to Tampa

...... Boston loses to Florida

...1 bonus - if Pittsburgh loses

Conference Bonus

...2 bonuses - if BOTH of the following happen:

...... New Jersey loses in regulation to Toronto

...... Pittsburgh loses

...1 bonus - if New Jersey loses

MN pace - 2.1 points per habs game

Reached milestones:

MN 125 - Nov.13th, predicted by AK (Oct. 29, MN 141)

MN 99 - Dec.15th, predicted by HLD (Nov. 15, MN 123)

MN 75 - Jan.8th, predicted by HHFR (Dec. 22, MN 99)

MN 50 - Feb.2nd, predicted by mateus (Jan. 15, MN 71)

MN 25 - Mar.1st, predicted by #1 (Feb.6, MN 46)

The next milestone, I believe is 0

MN on Oct. 2 was - 165

MN on Oct. 31 was - 139 (drop by 26 in 11 games, pace 2.36)

MN on Nov. 30 was - 113 (drop by 26 in 14 games, pace 1.86)

MN on Dec. 31 was - 86 (drop by 27 in 14 games, pace 1.92)

MN on Jan. 31 was - 52 (drop by 34 in 12 games, pace 2.83)

MN on Feb. 29 was - 27 (drop by 25 in 14 games, pace 1.79)

Current MN - 23 (drop by 4 in 2 games in March, pace 2.00)

Note, the pace of 2 MN points per habs game is the border line between playoffs and golf pastures. If the pace is higher then 2, the habs are heading to the playoffs. If it is less than 2, we are out. If it is exactly 2, it is a tie break situation.

The MN 0 is currently projected (by habs points and bonuses pace) for Mar. 29th (the game vs. Toronto) (at the beginning of March the projection was Mar. 28, the best - Mar. 24 and the worst - Mar. 29).

Guest Onzeee
HLD_sig.jpg

NOTCH ONE MORE FEATHER ON THE CAP

It was gut-check time and a test of character for Mr. Price last night and a hefts test of character. Unfortunately the outcome was adverse, but hopefully he will take it as a learning experience and put it in his bag of tricks.

An unlucky goal, a goal which should not have been counted because of a blatantly missed goaltender interference call (not referring to Smokes here, but the third goal) and two other missed goaltender interference goals before the mid way point of the game was enough to throw our young net-minder off his game. We should give credit where credit is due. The Sharks had a clear game plan to disrupt Price’s tempo, and Price fallowed suit. Things could have been different if the refs would have called a fair game, but that also is something the players have to learn to deal with.

The unfortunate truth is rarely will these young jocs play a consistently fair game. The donkey droppings in zebra shirts change moods, tolerance levels and peripheral vision angles from minute to minute. Further more, each poop sack has a different way of judging the game, and interpreting the rules. Oh and in case you’re wondering, I can insult the NHL officiating team and get away with it because I’m not an established or professional journalist. So as Red Fisher has to refrain him self at “questionable call”, I can sit here and write a hundred things that supersede the officiating team in the order of life. Given limited space and time, I’ll limit the list to a random ten (these are in no particular order):

• A bucket of slime eel (if you don’t know what it looks like: http://assets.espn.go.com/winnercomm/outdo...i/p2-fish05.jpg )

• An elephant’s toe jam

• Michael Moore’s underpants after all you can eat burrito night at the Clinton’s residence

• Jerry’s remains

• That diaper full of HLD junior’s droppings I chucked at a passer by biker.

• A pack of gum

• A decomposed maggot

• A toothpick

• The sticky stuff Zorro the Beagle leaves behind after he has a round with on of our guest’s leg

• Rubber puke

The list can go on, but alas I must get back to work and catch up on my sleep I missed out last night. In the meanwhile if you would like to continue adding to the above list please feel free. I find it rather therapeutic.

NL STANDINGS MARCH 4, 2008:

POST.jpg

Rookie players who pull on the CH should expect unfairness, as for the vets of the team its 2nd nature to be screwed most nights

HLD_sig.jpg

WHY PRICE SHOULD START TOMORROW NIGHT

If coach Carbs had a plan to start Halak in nets tomorrow night against Phoenix prior to starting the week, he now has reason to change that schedule and start Price instead. My rational for this of course are the same as my agreement with the management’s vote of confidence in the youth movement, and mainly Carey Price.

At 20 years old, I can hardly blame young Carey for loosing his cool against the Sharks following dismal reffing, however this doesn’t excuse him from the fact that he did let his emotions get the better of him. One of his greatest assets thus far has been his cool and mature demeanour that has earned him the nick name “Priceberg” or my noun for our phenom goaltender “Cucumber boy”…as in cool as a…

This will of course be a learning experience for Carey and he will only come back stronger. If you doubt that, you need not look any further than his escapade with Brent Sutter at the World Juniors. My concern however is the coaching staff messages.

Prior to the trade deadline the message was clear: “Who ever wins plays”. This was a sound strategy for the short term with two goaltenders able to do the job. However, wisely or not, this message was changed to: “Price is our #1 guy…rain or shine”. This new philosophy gives Carey Price the vote of confidence he needs to get to the next level. However it is being put to the test for the first time now.

The team scored 4 goals on the road and lost. The goaltender could have done a better job, and no one is arguing that. Price had a bad game…period. Now if Carbonneau comes back with Price, it gives Carey the pat on the back he needs. That tells him to get back on the horse and get going cause this team is his to lead. But if he comes in with Halak, than all of a sudden Carey is back to where he was three weeks ago: Nervous to make a mistake at the ultimate cost of not starting the next game. This kind of pressure for a goaltender in his age group and situation is not constructive. Such a pattern could be a motivational tool for a veteran who has lost the edge, but is a destructive process of thought for the goaltender who will win the next Stanley Cup for the HABS (yup…I’m going on the record to say it ;)).

I haven’t read anything on the subject, and I don’t know if a decision has been made or announced yet, but the worse thing Carbonneau could do tomorrow night is start Halak. Saturday seems like a better time to get Halak some ice time, and re-test Price against a crease crashing team like Anaheim.

NL STANDINGS MARCH 5, 2008:

POST.jpg

Guest chocolate

MN Bonus available for 2008.03.05:

...1 or 2 bonuses - if Buffalo loses to Washington (2 bonuses if they lose in regulation)

Division Bonus

...1 bonus - if Ottawa loses to San Jose

MN pace - 2.1 points per habs game

Reached milestones:

MN on Oct. 2 was - 165

Current MN - 23 (drop by 4 in 2 games in March, pace 2.00)

Note, the pace of 2 MN points per habs game is the border line between playoffs and golf pastures. If the pace is higher then 2, the habs are heading to the playoffs. If it is less than 2, we are out. If it is exactly 2, it is a tie break situation.

The MN 0 is currently projected (by habs points and bonuses pace) for Mar. 28th (the game vs. Toronto) (at the beginning of March the projection was Mar. 28, the best - Mar. 24 and the worst - Mar. 29).

Guest hatethoseleafs

Our remaining games--8 HOME --7 Road

Back To Back Games in RED

Canadiens Coyotes ( Mar 6 )

Canadiens Kings ( Mar 8 )

Canadiens Ducks ( Mar 9 )

Devils Canadiens ( Mar 11 )

Senators Canadiens ( Mar 13 )

Islanders Canadiens ( Mar 15 )

Blues Canadiens ( Mar 18 )

Canadiens Bruins ( Mar 20 )

Bruins Canadiens ( Mar 22)

Senators Canadiens ( Mar 24 )

Canadiens Sabres ( Mar 28 )

Canadiens Maple Leafs ( Mar 29 )

Canadiens Senators ( Apr 1 )

Sabres Canadiens ( Apr 3 )

Maple Leafs Canadiens ( Apr 5 )

If coach Carbs had a plan to start Halak in nets tomorrow night against Phoenix prior to starting the week, he now has reason to change that schedule and start Price instead. My rational for this of course are the same as my agreement with the management’s vote of confidence in the youth movement, and mainly Carey Price.

At 20 years old, I can hardly blame young Carey for loosing his cool against the Sharks following dismal reffing, however this doesn’t excuse him from the fact that he did let his emotions get the better of him. One of his greatest assets thus far has been his cool and mature demeanour that has earned him the nick name “Priceberg” or my noun for our phenom goaltender “Cucumber boy”…as in cool as a…

This will of course be a learning experience for Carey and he will only come back stronger. If you doubt that, you need not look any further than his escapade with Brent Sutter at the World Juniors. My concern however is the coaching staff messages.

Prior to the trade deadline the message was clear: “Who ever wins plays”. This was a sound strategy for the short term with two goaltenders able to do the job. However, wisely or not, this message was changed to: “Price is our #1 guy…rain or shine”. This new philosophy gives Carey Price the vote of confidence he needs to get to the next level. However it is being put to the test for the first time now.

The team scored 4 goals on the road and lost. The goaltender could have done a better job, and no one is arguing that. Price had a bad game…period. Now if Carbonneau comes back with Price, it gives Carey the pat on the back he needs. That tells him to get back on the horse and get going cause this team is his to lead. But if he comes in with Halak, than all of a sudden Carey is back to where he was three weeks ago: Nervous to make a mistake at the ultimate cost of not starting the next game. This kind of pressure for a goaltender in his age group and situation is not constructive. Such a pattern could be a motivational tool for a veteran who has lost the edge, but is a destructive process of thought for the goaltender who will win the next Stanley Cup for the HABS (yup…I’m going on the record to say it ;)).

I haven’t read anything on the subject, and I don’t know if a decision has been made or announced yet, but the worse thing Carbonneau could do tomorrow night is start Halak. Saturday seems like a better time to get Halak some ice time, and re-test Price against a crease crashing team like Anaheim.

I like your argument for Price and agree it could be the best thing for the Kid. As far as "Priceberg" and "Cucumber Boy"... these titles may be a bit over-stated (yes he does look the part in style... but demeanor was revealed otherwise IMO) and perhaps a little pre-mature. But, I'm not so sure having the ability to get a little angry about the way he was treated is such a bad thing... Too cool could be a bigger problem. Now that Price has had a taste of the rough stuff maybe he can use what he has learned as even greater motivation to be ready for the fight that lay ahead.

My Two Cents :)

Guest mateus
HLD_sig.jpg

NL STANDINGS MARCH 5, 2008:

POST.jpg

i think youve taken up some future sight there dagz! well done! ;)

GO HABS GO!!!

Guest hatethoseleafs
MN Bonus available for 2008.03.05:

...1 or 2 bonuses - if Buffalo loses to Washington (2 bonuses if they lose in regulation)

Love those bonus points. Knock off 2 more Dags. :D:D:D

HLD_sig.jpg

GOTTA KEEP PACE WITH OTTAWA

At this point in time I’m more concerned with remaining in the top seat of our Division than fighting for the Conference. If we finish in the top seat of our Division, we’re guaranteed to finish in 1st or 2nd, and so our probable opponents would be Buffalo, Boston, Philly or New York. ¾ teams would be a great opponent for the first round, offering ample opportunity to advance. Whether we finish in first or second in the Conference, the odds of facing one of the three opponents will be 75%, so other than bragging rights (as of today) I see no benefit in worrying about the race for the Conference top seat.

With that said, our current and primary concerns are the Ottawa Senators. They’re one of these teams that can loose to a low tier team, but when it comes to playing the HABS they find this extra motivation from god know where, and pummel us to no end. With two more games left to face them between now and the end of the year, splitting the two would be a favourable outcome given our recent history with them.

In the meanwhile, we should try and cushion the slim (now none existent) lead between our selves and Ottawa who have the same amount of points, but we have a game in hand. The Sens are going through a similar road trip as our selves, and they have obtained ¼ points thus far. Our swing is going to breach it’s mid-point tonight, and we have a chance to pick up 2/4 and put a two point spread between our selves and that team who plays for the bastards who tax us.

The next few weeks can unfold any combination of events, including the exclusion of the HABS from the playoffs. Although unlikely, I don’t see anyone clinching a spot in the Eastern Conference until late in the month, so each game and each point has an unimaginable worth. Tonight is a good night to pot two with the majority of Eastern teams going through ruts, and to cut our loosing streak at 1 before it gets worrisome. Furthermore tonight gives Carey Price o respond to the vote of confidence. Last time the coaching staff and management gave him a pat on the back he went on a 3-0 tear with superb stats. Here’s hoping he can out do that streak this time around.

NL STANDINGS MARCH 6, 2008:

POST.jpg

Guest chocolate

MN Bonus available for 2008.03.06:

No bonuses are available. A loss to Philadelphia (vs Tampa) would be beneficial for future bonuses. Losses to Carolina (vs Minnesota) and to either of NY teams (they are playing each other) would not hurt either.

Division Bonus

...1 or 2 bonuses - if BOTH Ottawa (vs LA) and Boston (vs Toronto) lose (2 bonuses if they both lose in regulation)

Home-ice Bonus

...1 or 2 bonuses - if Pittsburgh loses to Florida. A loss to Pittsburgh opens an opportunity for second conference bonus tomorrow, as well.

MN pace - 2.2 points per habs game

Reached milestones:

MN on Oct. 2 was - 165

Current MN - 23 (drop by 6 in 2 games in March, pace 3.00)

The MN 0 is currently projected (by habs points and bonuses pace) for Mar. 24th (the game vs. Toronto) (at the beginning of March the projection was Mar. 28, the best - Mar. 24 and the worst - Mar. 29).

Those elimination numbers almost ready to go soon???I'm curious how much longer some of them have to live. :lol:

They are available, however we are all eagerly waiting our Number 2 to get them into a presentable form.

Chocolate was kind enough to expedite the process by creating a bullet and dummy proof excal sheet for us to use :D Good thing to cause otherwise we'de be toast :blink:

Guest hatethoseleafs
They are available, however we are all eagerly waiting our Number 2 to get them into a presentable form.

Chocolate was kind enough to expedite the process by creating a bullet and dummy proof excal sheet for us to use :D Good thing to cause otherwise we'de be toast :blink:

I wish i could speak that strange language. :P

Guest mateus
HLD_sig.jpg GOTTA KEEP PACE WITH OTTAWA At this point in time I’m more concerned with remaining in the top seat of our Division than fighting for the Conference. If we finish in the top seat of our Division, we’re guaranteed to finish in 1st or 2nd, and so our probable opponents would be Buffalo, Boston, Philly or New York. ¾ teams would be a great opponent for the first round, offering ample opportunity to advance. Whether we finish in first or second in the Conference, the odds of facing one of the three opponents will be 75%, so other than bragging rights (as of today) I see no benefit in worrying about the race for the Conference top seat.With that said, our current and primary concerns are the Ottawa Senators. They’re one of these teams that can loose to a low tier team, but when it comes to playing the HABS they find this extra motivation from god know where, and pummel us to no end. With two more games left to face them between now and the end of the year, splitting the two would be a favourable outcome given our recent history with them. In the meanwhile, we should try and cushion the slim (now none existent) lead between our selves and Ottawa who have the same amount of points, but we have a game in hand. The Sens are going through a similar road trip as our selves, and they have obtained ¼ points thus far. Our swing is going to breach it’s mid-point tonight, and we have a chance to pick up 2/4 and put a two point spread between our selves and that team who plays for the bastards who tax us.The next few weeks can unfold any combination of events, including the exclusion of the HABS from the playoffs. Although unlikely, I don’t see anyone clinching a spot in the Eastern Conference until late in the month, so each game and each point has an unimaginable worth. Tonight is a good night to pot two with the majority of Eastern teams going through ruts, and to cut our loosing streak at 1 before it gets worrisome. Furthermore tonight gives Carey Price o respond to the vote of confidence. Last time the coaching staff and management gave him a pat on the back he went on a 3-0 tear with superb stats. Here’s hoping he can out do that streak this time around. NL STANDINGS MARCH 6, 2008: POST.jpg
it should be a highly entertaining game tonight!and the priceberg should be frozen solid in front of the net, bagging us the much needed two points!
They are available, however we are all eagerly waiting our Number 2 to get them into a presentable form. Chocolate was kind enough to expedite the process by creating a bullet and dummy proof excal sheet for us to use :D Good thing to cause otherwise we'de be toast :blink:
doh!i knew i forgot something... :unsure: ill run it tonight and get it to you ASAP dagz, sorry for the delay you guys...-Matt

Guest hatethoseleafs

Our remaining games--8 HOME --6 Road

Back To Back Games in RED

Canadiens Kings ( Mar 8 )

Canadiens Ducks ( Mar 9 )

Devils Canadiens ( Mar 11 )

Senators Canadiens ( Mar 13 )

Islanders Canadiens ( Mar 15 )

Blues Canadiens ( Mar 18 )

Canadiens Bruins ( Mar 20 )

Bruins Canadiens ( Mar 22)

Senators Canadiens ( Mar 24 )

Canadiens Sabres ( Mar 28 )

Canadiens Maple Leafs ( Mar 29 )

Canadiens Senators ( Apr 1 )

Sabres Canadiens ( Apr 3 )

Maple Leafs Canadiens ( Apr 5 )

Guest chocolate

MNPace_Standings_East.png (Please refresh to see the last update)

When the MN habs400 hits 0 or Montreal climbs to the spot #8 in the Habs 400/750 Standings, habs are in accordingly to habs 400 rule.

Well, Montreal have just climbed to the spot #8! MN habs400 iz 0! The habs 400 rule sais Montreal is in!

This is still just projection, but it is a very strong one. We can now start scheduling our MN party!

Teams doomed to finish below habs (in points, though one of the team form SE can be placed at spot #3 at the end of the season) by Habs400 rule:

1. Toronto

2. Tampa Bay

3. Florida

4. Atlanta

5. Washington

6. NY Islanders

7. Buffalo

HLD_sig.jpg

THAT’S THE WAY TO BOUNCE BACK!

A thousand apologies for being delayed on my update today, however the NHL is to blame (or was it the government?!). Having kept up a father of one an a quarter well past his bed-time during the week, whilst being kept awake at work with work to be done has been nothing short of unbearable this week. However the outcome is positive and the HABS gave me the pick-me up I needed last night.

I’m not going to cheapen being at the top of our Division by slogans and catch phrases so I’ll keep this short. Carey Price bounced back to prove to the fans, the organisation, his coach, his team-mates and most importantly him self that he is able to perform as a #1 goaltender should. Everyone has bad games, but not everyone can bounce back like that. His performance in last night’s game (with some minor weak moments) will come in very valuable during the next few weeks.

Furthermore it was good to see everyone doing their job. The top line contributed, the second line contributed, and the team worked well on the power play when it counted. Of course that first period was hard to watch and it looked like the 1988 Oilers playing the Chicoutimi Poutines, but the important thing is the goalie kept us in the game, and our offense (mainly power play) returned the favour in the third. We got the two points, and now we have a two point cushion on Ottawa. With a win on Saturday we can ensure coming out of this road trip with more points than Ottawa, which IMO is our priority.

NL STANDINGS MARCH 7, 2008:

POST.jpg

Archived