The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Mn The Countdown - The Official Update

GIJAYNE

honestly: yes i would still boo him.

i dislike them all in general. they make there careers by saying "id like to go to montreal" and then make money elsewhere and when montreal needed them...they were nowhere to be found.

maybe it is just me and my blindness to the hockey-business aspect, but i cant stand that kind of player and probably never will stand them. and it isnt the fact that hes french or that hes from montreal. its just the hipocrisy of it all!

its just as bad as bandwagon jumpers!

yay the team is winning! i love my team!

what the habs in last place? me a habs fan? ha! no way! they suck!

it drives me up the wall!

Well the $$$s is a reality in any sport. At least (IMO) Lecavalier is earning his big salary, as is Ovechkin and Cindy Crybaby. Chara on the other hand :rolleyes:

I can understand why you would get upset at so many "stars" bring the general public's hopes up with false statements (as far as we know...maybe some really did want to come but logistics didn't work out?). But still I don't agree with booing a player simply because he is making millions of $$.

Fact of the matter is a teams overall salary is $50+M. So a player making 1/7th of the salary (i.e. Lecavalier) is OK in my books as long as he's producing 1/7th or more of the points, 1/7 or more of the leadership, etc...etc... Unless my math and hockey awareness is way off, I believe Lecavalier is much much more than that to the Tampa Bay lightning.

I agree with most of what you said, but I have to disagree with booing a player just because he's a millionaire on account of my ticket and apparel expenses. Hating someone for the sake of hating them, or hating them because they make more money in a one night's work than most of us do in a year just simply won't do my young padawan.

I would gladly take Vinny on our roster for $6-7M (less on the HABS, because he wouldn't be expected to carry as much of the responsability as in Tampa...therefore less ice-time...therefore less money - keeping in mind inflation and taxes ;))...said the accountant :lol:

HLD_sig.jpg

RANGERS, SENS, PHILLY, DEVILS, STEAK AND PIE

So we’re tied for fist place with Ottawa and New Jersey in points. I hate to point out that we would be at the bottom of that list on the fact that Ottawa has a game in hand and the Devils have more wins. The good news however is that we’re but one night away from potentially being at the top of the point standings. A loosing streak ending performance by the Flyers and a series loosing streak ending performance by those guys in the Bleu Blanc et Rouge, and all of a sudden we’re #1…no ish, just straight up #1.

It has been a loooooooong time since the last time the team was flying so high, and based on the average age of the users in this forum, I’m part of the minority who was lucky enough to see the last time we were challenging for top seat in the Conference. With that in mind it’s no surprise that the hype is getting the better of Habs fans, and all of a sudden we’re expecting too much.

We have not won a game against the Rangers yet, and the five unanswered goals on the last game the rangers potted in our net will play a huge psychological role come game time tonight. Furthermore, the Ranges have proven that their style of play is one of the more difficult ones to beat for our Habs, given our style of play.

On the other front, the Flyers are just having a terrible time. The Sens are on a mini-slump as well, however the Sens are too powerful a team to loose too many in a row, and the last time the Sens were challenged for the top seat after a mini-slump we all know how they responded. Odds would more than suggest that Philly is not likely to end their loosing streak tonight, and that the Sens will be looking for a demolishing win with a 4-5 goal differential.

With all that said, logic would dictate that we would not be ending the night ahead of Ottawa, and at best we can remain tied. However expecting us to win and them to loose is a bet that would make many a man rich.

On the up side, none of that matters. We should not worry about any of this when we hit the ice tonight. We have a more focused team tonight than we did the last time we met the Rangers. We have some momentum, and we’ll have some good goaltending. If Price is in net, we’ll have a confident goalie who can push back when Avery is in his crease. If Huet is in net, he will have no other choice but to play a whale of a game if he wants to keep his job. Hamerlik is back in the line-up so defensively we’re back at our best.

I wouldn’t say odds are in our favour to win, but I wouldn’t say odds are against us either. The Rangers are a mature and veteran team, and they should be playing a rather consistent game. So the way I see it the outcome is in our hands. If we play our game, alert, keep the puck out of our zone, deep in theirs, and win fights along the boards, this one is ours. If we start giving the puck away in the neutral zone, or worse in our zone, this will go the other way. It up to us, and that’s the way it should be.

As for the Sens game, you never know what could happen. I have seen more bizarre things happen this season.

PS If you’re wondering why I had steak and pie in the title…well it’s cause I like steak and pie :D

NL STANDINGS FEBRUARY 19, 2008:

POST.jpg

HLD_sig.jpg

So we’re tied for fist place with Ottawa and New Jersey in points. I hate to point out that we would be at the bottom of that list on the fact that Ottawa has a game in hand and the Devils have more wins. The good news however is that we’re but one night away from potentially being at the top of the point standings. A loosing streak ending performance by the Flyers and a series loosing streak ending performance by those guys in the Bleu Blanc et Rouge, and all of a sudden we’re #1…no ish, just straight up #1.

It has been a loooooooong time since the last time the team was flying so high, and based on the average age of the users in this forum, I’m part of the minority who was lucky enough to see the last time we were challenging for top seat in the Conference. With that in mind it’s no surprise that the hype is getting the better of Habs fans, and all of a sudden we’re expecting too much.

We have not won a game against the Rangers yet, and the five unanswered goals on the last game the rangers potted in our net will play a huge psychological role come game time tonight. Furthermore, the Ranges have proven that their style of play is one of the more difficult ones to beat for our Habs, given our style of play.

On the other front, the Flyers are just having a terrible time. The Sens are on a mini-slump as well, however the Sens are too powerful a team to loose too many in a row, and the last time the Sens were challenged for the top seat after a mini-slump we all know how they responded. Odds would more than suggest that Philly is not likely to end their loosing streak tonight, and that the Sens will be looking for a demolishing win with a 4-5 goal differential.

With all that said, logic would dictate that we would not be ending the night ahead of Ottawa, and at best we can remain tied. However expecting us to win and them to loose is a bet that would make many a man rich.

On the up side, none of that matters. We should not worry about any of this when we hit the ice tonight. We have a more focused team tonight than we did the last time we met the Rangers. We have some momentum, and we’ll have some good goaltending. If Price is in net, we’ll have a confident goalie who can push back when Avery is in his crease. If Huet is in net, he will have no other choice but to play a whale of a game if he wants to keep his job. Hamerlik is back in the line-up so defensively we’re back at our best.

I wouldn’t say odds are in our favour to win, but I wouldn’t say odds are against us either. The Rangers are a mature and veteran team, and they should be playing a rather consistent game. So the way I see it the outcome is in our hands. If we play our game, alert, keep the puck out of our zone, deep in theirs, and win fights along the boards, this one is ours. If we start giving the puck away in the neutral zone, or worse in our zone, this will go the other way. It up to us, and that’s the way it should be.

As for the Sens game, you never know what could happen. I have seen more bizarre things happen this season.

PS If you’re wondering why I had steak and pie in the title…well it’s cause I like steak and pie :D

POST.jpg

great update dagz! and thanks for the picker-upper reasoning in the last few posts.

this young hot headed padowan has to learn a few of lifes lessons to cool down a tad bit.

overall tonight should be entertaining, and its set up as a cage night for myself!

w00t! no more labs, assignments and i still have 3 more days off to enjoy! so bring on the rangers! the wings! and some good times caus this general is going back to la cage for this game where he can be surrounded by fellow habs fans and not be shushed! where he can devour deep fried foods and yell and cuss at the TV and refs all he likes!

ah yes, finally, i get to enjoy a habs game, my way. w00t!

Guest Cenner Hice
...this general is going back to la cage for this game where he can be surrounded by fellow habs fans and not be shushed! where he can devour deep fried foods and yell and cuss at the TV and refs all he likes!

ah yes, finally, i get to enjoy a habs game, my way. w00t!

Green with envy!!!

Have a fun night and may the boys make it just that extra bit more so. :D

Green with envy!!!

Have a fun night and may the boys make it just that extra bit more so. :D

thanks CH! i plan to!

due to university i havent had that much of a chance to catch the games at la cage like i used to. and well at home yelling at a TV is frowned upon ;):lol:

so ill be letting the dogs out tonight! w00t!

HLD_sig.jpg

POST.jpg

last time the Habs led the conference at this time of the year was march 13th 1993 i believe dags,

Guest NWT_Habs_Fan
:lol: Not at all. This is one job I would never push anyone into. Having created those macros, I would never go bak to running them. The stats generator is a heavy program, and if something goes wrong, or suggestions are made, one has to be able to understand the seven pages of links, formulas and macro text. Chocolate was a god send in that not only did he pick up and understand everything like it was 2 year olds 4 piece puzzle, but immediatelly started refining it and adding stuff to it.For this simple fact I let him know that in his absence, although I will open the position to the public, I don't see it getting filled.If there are volunteers however (you must be willing to rol;l up your sleeves and get in to the Excel dimension), than by all means contact chocolate. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is full heartedly dependent on those MN numbers :lol:A long shot of course would be if NWT wants to jump in and help out for a week? NWT? I know you're busy but you think you can spare a week? :unsure:
I can take over starting Thursday, til when would my services be needed?
I just finished watching it twice and i'm still in shock.. :lol:
I'm waiting for the highlights on NHL Network!

Guest hatethoseleafs

Our remaining games--12 HOME --9 Road

Back To Back Games in RED

Penguins Canadiens ( Feb 21 )

Blue Jackets Canadiens ( Feb 23 )

Thrashers Canadiens [/b] ( Feb 26 )

Canadiens Sabres ( Feb 29 )

Devils Canadiens ( Mar 1 )

Canadiens Sharks ( Mar 3 )

Canadiens Coyotes ( Mar 6 )

Canadiens Kings ( Mar 8 )

Canadiens Ducks ( Mar 9 )

Devils Canadiens ( Mar 11 )

Senators Canadiens ( Mar 13 )

Islanders Canadiens ( Mar 15 )

Blues Canadiens ( Mar 18 )

Canadiens Bruins ( Mar 20 )

Bruins Canadiens ( Mar 22)

Senators Canadiens ( Mar 24 )

Canadiens Sabres ( Mar 28 )

Canadiens Maple Leafs ( Mar 29 )

Canadiens Senators ( Apr 1 )

Sabres Canadiens ( Apr 3 )

Maple Leafs Canadiens ( Apr 5 )

Guest chocolate

MN Bonus available for 2008.02.20:

No bonuses are available. Losses to Islanders (vs Washington) and, especially, Buffalo (vs Tampa) would be beneficial for future bonuses.

Home-ice Bonus

...1 or 2 bonuses - if New Jersey loses to San Jose

MN pace - 2.2 points per habs game

Next MN milestone: 25 - current Mn forecast: Mar. 2nd

Member predictions:

#1 - Mar 1st, vs. NJ (made on Feb.6, MN 46)

Admiral - Mar 3rd, vs. SJ (Feb.6, MN 46)

Chocolate - Feb 26th, vs. Atl (Feb.8, MN 44)

CH - Mar 6th, vs Phx (Feb 13, MN 43)

Reached milestones:

MN 125 - Nov.13th, predicted by AK (Oct. 29, MN 141)

MN 99 - Dec.15th, predicted by HLD (Nov. 15, MN 123)

MN 75 - Jan.8th, predicted by HHFR (Dec. 22, MN 99)

MN 50 - Feb.2nd, predicted by mateus (Jan. 15, MN 71)

MN on Oct. 2 was - 165

MN on Oct. 31 was - 139 (drop by 26 in 11 games, pace 2.36)

MN on Nov. 30 was - 113 (drop by 26 in 14 games, pace 1.86)

MN on Dec. 31 was - 86 (drop by 27 in 14 games, pace 1.92)

MN on Jan. 31 was - 52 (drop by 34 in 12 games, pace 2.83)

Current MN - 34 (drop by 18 in 10 games in February, pace 1.80)

Note, the pace of 2 MN points per habs game is the border line between playoffs and golf pastures. If the pace is higher then 2, the habs are heading to the playoffs. If it is less than 2, we are out. If it is exactly 2, it is a tie break situation.

MN forecast by the end of February - 25 (at the beginning of February the forecast was 21, the best is 21 and the worst 26).

I can take over starting Thursday, til when would my services be needed?I'm waiting for the highlights on NHL Network!

He said he's back in two weeks I believe. I know you may not have all the new 0.400 stuff chocolate has developped, but I'm sure he would e-mail it to you if you PMd him. He still logs on, but in off hours and not for long so he would get your request.

From what I understand it's the same spreadsheet with another tab and the numbers here are automated as well (all part of the same...now greater macro). So no more work than before.

Thanks NWT. YOU DA MAN! B)

Guest chocolate
I can take over starting Thursday, til when would my services be needed?

He said he's back in two weeks I believe. I know you may not have all the new 0.400 stuff chocolate has developped, but I'm sure he would e-mail it to you if you PMd him. He still logs on, but in off hours and not for long so he would get your request.

From what I understand it's the same spreadsheet with another tab and the numbers here are automated as well (all part of the same...now greater macro). So no more work than before.

Thanks NWT. YOU DA MAN! B)

I have a short opportunity to connect here awaiting long conversations with my colleges back in Montreal. Here I have to say, that I did not change the stats spreadsheet. It is exactly the one I got from NWT. For all other stuff I use another one. And I will continue to post all my usual stuff ,but stats, as usual. I cannot do stats now, because of timing when nhl updates its stats and we use them in our calculations.

Sorry everyone, I have to run. See you later and many many thanks NWT and HLD!

HLD_sig.jpg

HERE’S MY BREAKDOWN OF LAST NIGHT’S GAME

The reffs: :blink:

The game: :blink:

…that is all.

NL STANDINGS FEBRUARY 20, 2008:

POST.jpg

weve been robbed!

that is not an update!

boooooo!

*takes off ny rangers cap*

wow i feel so much better! even the sinuses have cleared! great update dagz! cant wait to read your insighfulness tomorow! w00t!

and gotta love games at la cage, speaking of which! doing it again this thursday night! w00t for free wings!!!

and speaking of caps: id like to add that carey price is still the franchise player for this team. because i dont think anyone in NHL history has ever thrown there own cap on the ice when a fellow team mate gets a hat trick. hats off to carey for that! cant wait to see you bounce back on the ice kid! w00t w00t!

-Matt

Guest Tamara84

What a great game from last night game. I hope it's free wings tommorow night since I am going to the cage and watch it. But they should of win in regular time instead. But glad to see the amazing comeback.

Guest chocolate

MN Bonus available for 2008.02.21:

No bonuses are available as Rangers are not playing tonight. Losses to Buffalo (vs Toroto), Philadelphia (vs San Jose), and Islanders (vs Tampa) would greatly increase chances for bonuses this Saturday. For instance, A loss in regulation to Buffalo (sorry htl) will tarantie at least 1 bonus on Saturday.

Home-ice Bonus

...1 or 2 bonuses - if Pittsburg loses to Montreal (4 MN home-ice points game)

Home-ice Bonus

...1 or 2 bonuses - if Ottawa loses to Columbus

MN pace - 2.2 points per habs game

Next MN milestone: 25 - current Mn forecast: Mar. 2nd

Member predictions:

#1 - Mar 1st, vs. NJ (made on Feb.6, MN 46)

Admiral - Mar 3rd, vs. SJ (Feb.6, MN 46)

Chocolate - Feb 26th, vs. Atl (Feb.8, MN 44)

CH - Mar 6th, vs Phx (Feb 13, MN 43)

Reached milestones:

MN 125 - Nov.13th, predicted by AK (Oct. 29, MN 141)

MN 99 - Dec.15th, predicted by HLD (Nov. 15, MN 123)

MN 75 - Jan.8th, predicted by HHFR (Dec. 22, MN 99)

MN 50 - Feb.2nd, predicted by mateus (Jan. 15, MN 71)

MN on Oct. 2 was - 165

MN on Oct. 31 was - 139 (drop by 26 in 11 games, pace 2.36)

MN on Nov. 30 was - 113 (drop by 26 in 14 games, pace 1.86)

MN on Dec. 31 was - 86 (drop by 27 in 14 games, pace 1.92)

MN on Jan. 31 was - 52 (drop by 34 in 12 games, pace 2.83)

Current MN - 34 (drop by 18 in 10 games in February, pace 1.80)

Note, the pace of 2 MN points per habs game is the border line between playoffs and golf pastures. If the pace is higher then 2, the habs are heading to the playoffs. If it is less than 2, we are out. If it is exactly 2, it is a tie break situation.

MN forecast by the end of February - 25 (at the beginning of February the forecast was 21, the best is 21 and the worst 26).

Archived