The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Jfj Joins Tsn As Guest Analyst

mortwinkler

Guest habs_fan1160

http://www.tsn.ca/ctvnews/sportsstory.asp?story_id=229458

With two weeks to go until the NHL Trade Deadline, TSN today announced it has acquired John Ferguson Jr. as a guest analyst for the NHL on TSN and TradeCentre 08, marking the former Toronto Maple Leafs GM's debut as a television analyst.

"I made many trades over 10 deadlines in management with St. Louis and Toronto," Ferguson says. "I look forward to plying a new trade with TSN this deadline."

I guess he's having a hard time finding a job...funny, he obviously doesn't have enough hockey sense to GM the Leafs team, but TSN feels he has enough to be a "analyst" for hockey...

Just goes to show you how credible TSN really is.

http://www.tsn.ca/ctvnews/sportsstory.asp?story_id=229458

With two weeks to go until the NHL Trade Deadline, TSN today announced it has acquired John Ferguson Jr. as a guest analyst for the NHL on TSN and TradeCentre 08, marking the former Toronto Maple Leafs GM's debut as a television analyst.

"I made many trades over 10 deadlines in management with St. Louis and Toronto," Ferguson says. "I look forward to plying a new trade with TSN this deadline."

I guess he's having a hard time finding a job...funny, he obviously doesn't have enough hockey sense to GM the Leafs team, but TSN feels he has enough to be a "analyst" for hockey...

Just goes to show you how credible TSN really is.

I think you're being a bit harsh.

First, while JFJ was clearly not ready for GM duties in toronto, in a smaller market and/or as an assistant GM he would likely have been just fine. The pressure to win & the scrutiny in Toronto makes it almost as tough as Montreal & we all know how many GM's this team has eaten & spit out.

Second, its not like he's rejean houle, here. He was assistant GM in st louis for 5 years (and they did quite well during that time) and managed to hold onto his job in toronto for 4. Albeit, he should have been gone MUCH sooner, and he made some boneheaded moves, but credit to him that he at least tried. He gambled & in some cases made some bad mistakes, but in others did quite well.

Finally, do you really think TSN analysts - or any analysts for that matter - should be as good as GMs in the NHL? A second rate GM could still very much be a first rate Analyst, so I dont understand the problem...

let me follow this up by saying that I do appreciate everything JFJ did to the leaf's organization during his tenure. He has made our job (as fans of the habs) much easier ;)

It's hard for me to be too harsh on JFJ because whiel he was underqualified, he still had MLSE babysitting him. People blame him for just making big signings and bad trades, but that wasn't all by choice. He inherited a team that Quinn had traded away every bit of future they had, and the current team was ageing and destined to go downhill fast. MLSE didn't give him the option to rebuild, so he had to pull off desperation moves, like the 2 trades for goalies, to try and maybe get the team decent if the stars all aligned correctly, and they did nearly make the playoffs last seaosn. Also remember that ever single move required MLSE approval.

So while he's not the #1 guy I'd want to hear as an analyst on TSN, he still has insights as to how the NHL works from the inside, and he's still relatively knowledgeable about hockey. His time as GM was not smooth, but it wasn't all his fault - he was trying to turn a team of nothings into contenders without the option to rebuild, and every move was a desperation one he had to make.

I think it's okay if they want to bring in JFJ as a guest analyst for their trade deadline coverage. Remember they also brought in Claude Julien a couple years ago as a guest analyst after he was let go by the Canadiens.

I have to say I was actually pretty impressed with him on Deadline Day.

Same. He was quite entertaining and a lot smarter than I had envisioned. He knew his stuff. It was also nice to have a recent gm's take on deadline day, especially one who isn't Milbury. :lol:

I found it a bit uncomfortable to watch because everytime the Leafs came up, it amounted to an attack on the job JFJ had done, be it constant questioning by James Duthie or having to respond to Cliff Fletcher's comments...

and I know the other panelists felt at least a little uncomfortable too because Mike Milbury came to JFJ's defense after they showed Fletcher's presser and one of the last things the group did before throwing to Sportscentre was show their support for JFJ for his work that day...

but all-in-all, I always prefer TSN to the other networks because they seem to have better, more reliable sources, more knowledgeable hockey people and the show just looks better...

Archived