The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal @ Florida | Feb. 13 2008 | Final: 2-1 Habs (OT)

maximus123

Guest HabSteve

MTL.gif

VS

FLA.gif

Feb 13, 2008, 7:30 PM EST

Game can be seen on RDS, and FSN-F locally

The Florida Panthers know their only chance of playing with Richard Zednik again this season will be if they make the playoffs.

The Panthers take to the ice for the first time since Zednik's frightening injury as they host the Montreal Canadiens on Wednesday.

Zednik was rushed to hospital after he was cut on the neck by teammate Olli Jokinen's skate with 9:56 left in Sunday's 5-3 loss in Buffalo. Jokinen's blade cut Zednik's carotid artery, stopping just shy of his jugular vein, and Zednik skated to Florida's bench gushing blood.

The left wing underwent surgery, and on Tuesday his condition was upgraded to good. He also was able to be moved out of the intensive care unit at Buffalo General Hospital.

"It's a sign of how good medicine can be and how good medical people can be," Panthers coach Jacques Martin said.

The Panthers (26-27-5) returned to practice on Tuesday, and though they were still shaken, the news that Zednik's recovery time could be six to eight weeks gave them some extra incentive to reach the postseason. Florida is three points behind Carolina for first place in the Southeast Division.

Of course, returning this season is a longshot for Zednik, who has been told by doctors that a return for 2008-09 would be more realistic.

"We've got 24 games to go," Jokinen said. "If we do our jobs, there is a possibility Richard's going to play with us and join the team in the playoffs. The doctors say six to eight weeks ... there's a possibility he could play this year. So every game now, it's going to be big, big for us."

Sunday's loss wrapped up a 3-2-0 road trip, the longest of the season for the Panthers. Of Florida's remaining 24 games, 14 will be at home, where the team is just 11-12-4 and dropped eight of 10.

"We have to set it aside now and play hockey," defenseman Jassen Cullimore said of Zednik's injury. "That's what we do."

Florida has won four of five against the Canadiens (29-19-9), but lost 5-1 at home in the last meeting on Dec. 28.

Montreal has dropped three straight, including Tuesday's 3-2 defeat in Tampa Bay. Christopher Higgins and Tomas Plekanec scored for Montreal, which has managed only five goals during the losing streak.

"We're never going to worry," Higgins said. "When we play the right way, we're going to win. We just haven't been skating the last three games, and it shows."

Defenseman Ryan O'Byrne played just under 15 minutes one night after he was arrested along with right wing Tom Kostopoulos outside a Tampa nightclub. O'Byrne, a 23-year-old rookie, was accused of stealing a woman's purse, while Kostopoulos, who was scratched for the fourth time in 15 games, was charged with resisting an officer.

"I'm a professional," O'Byrne said. "There's always stuff going on in your life and obviously this is an unfortunate circumstance. The fans are going to have something to say, but all I can do is go out and play and earn my spot and help this team win games."

Season Series between the two team :

Montreal won the first game on december 28 by the count of 5 to 1 , Florida then won the next 2 by scores of 3-2 and 2 to 1.

Montreal is coming up a loss against Tampa, and having loss 4 of its 5 last game while the Panthers won 3 out of their last 5.

Team Comparison :

Florida
Wins: 26
Shutouts: 4
Power Play Rank: 5
Penalty Kill Rank: 23
Win % When Leading After 1: .650
Win % When Leading After 2: .842
Win % When Trailing After 1: .263
Win % When Trailing After 2: .208

Montreal
Wins: 29
Shutouts: 2
Power Play Rank: 1
Penalty Kill Rank: 20
Win % When Leading After 1: .800
Win % When Leading After 2: .808
Win % When Trailing After 1: .133
Win % When Trailing After 2: .048

Team Leaders :

Montreal :

GOALS: A. Kovalev 25
ASSISTS: T. Plekanec 32
+/-: A. Kovalev 10
OT GOALS: S. Koivu 1

Florida :

GOALS: O. Jokinen 29
ASSISTS: O. Jokinen 29
+/-: D. Booth 11
OT GOALS: J. Cullimore 1

Lineup still unknown to me, sorry for the lack of pictures as i'm just trying to fill in, any moderators feel free to delete or change anything , oh and delete the first thread :P

thanks.

nice work. (a lot of it too considering you did it so quickly).

if this is the one that's sticking then...

LET'S GO BOYS! regroup and skate your butts off tonight.

this is a pretty huge game and considering we thrive as the underdogs and never as the favourites we might just win this one.

(stay positive, stay positive)

Guest HabSteve

lol thanks, I wanted to edit something out of my first try and when I came back to see it the whole text has been put together making it just.... well everyone would have said "what the heck is that" so I had to start all over again.

It's my first thread so hopefully it will start a winning streak!

GO HABS GO!

Guest HabSteve

Here's latest from The Gazette's Pat Hickey in Florida.

Carey Price will start in goal tonight.

Michael Ryder will be a healthy scratch, while Tom Kostopolous will play.

Sergei Kostitsyn is expected to move up and take Ryder's spot on the line with Saku Koivu and Christopher Higgins.

Thanks to www.Habsinsideout.com (and NHL.com for the preview by the way)

Sergei Kostitsyn is expected to move up and take Ryder's spot on the line with Saku Koivu and Christopher Higgins.

i can work with that. something had to change and i think we need kostopoulous' grit out there tonight. it's going to be an intense one.

Guest jimdubbs

i dont understand this logic, ryder played a good game last game i thought, we are having trouble scoring so we take out a sniper and insert a grinder?

Guest Godfather
i dont understand this logic, ryder played a good game last game i thought, we are having trouble scoring so we take out a sniper and insert a grinder?

a sniper isn't a sniper unless he can score. Right now all ryder's been doin is grindin'

i'm not blaming ryder for our scoring woes by any means but he isn't scoring and imho, sergei's been making more things happen on the ice. like i said, something had to change.

i'm not blaming ryder for our scoring woes by any means but he isn't scoring and imho, sergei's been making more things happen on the ice. like i said, something had to change.

At this point Sergei is more dangerous then Ryder so move him up. Ryder has had his chances and frankly we need the second line to score.

What I am struggling with is our third line...it's doing nothing productive..at least some energy would be nice.

Guest overlords

There's still no one who can shoot on saku's line. They're going to have to depend on tic tac toe plays or dekes to get anywhere. Easy to solve when u know they're not dangerous from farther away.

After the loss in to toronto, I said to myself "this is a team that's ready to go into a slump". It was thier inability to hold onto a lead, compounded with soft goals against, and now just plain being out-worked by the other team, as evident in most of the Ottawa game saturday and last night in Tampa. We need a win tonight, somthing to blast some confidence back into the boys... I'm glad Price is getting the start, Huet looks shakey lately, and I'm glad Kostopolus is back, he's a good hard-working player who seems to generate alot of chances and problems for the oposition on the forcheck.Also, does anyone else think it's ironic that Montreal would be the first team to play against a Zednik-less panthers?

End this mini drought.Canadiens 8Kitty Cats 1 :blink: Go Carey!
hehehe, as much as I'd like to believe that, we're playing the florida panthers, not the moncont wildcats XD (The team often refered to as "kitty cats" in the QMJHL :P)

Guest HABFANDOG

would have to agree with the assessment on ryder. why is he sitting? he has been giving it his all out there and imo has more offensive punch than kosto. and yes we most definatley NEED or HAVE TO HAVE hammer in there!! it is just obvious that we need to make a move for a top tier player. after such a great effort this year isn't the time now to make a push for the CUP!!??

Guest HabSteve

Francois Gagnon reporting that Hamrlik won't play tonight, he hopes to be in a good enough game shape for saturday.

Kostopoulos expected to play with Lapierre and Latendresse

Guest FlHabsFan
Francois Gagnon reporting that Hamrlik won't play tonight, he hopes to be in a good enough game shape for saturday.

Sigh.....

Oh and last night, never saw Ryan or Tom get on the bus to the forum. Realized that after the bus left.

Guest Hoyle00cdn
Sigh.....

Oh and last night, never saw Ryan or Tom get on the bus to the forum. Realized that after the bus left.

maybe they were getting in the back of a cruiser.

brother. that's not good news. all the more reason for the offense to step up, play with energy and be smart...

Guest d80jcrant

I like the sounds of that. All these teams looking for a top forward....We have to move Ryder and get a nice pick

I hope we come out with a win in this game!! Good luck Price! Hope Huet gets rested for next game so he can start making the saves he was making in January...Can't wait until Hamrlik back so all this goalie bashing could stop (presuming they do well with him back)

Archived