The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

New Look For Goaltenders' Jerseys?

Wayne-1

I can't imagine how this will destroy the legacy of the goalie mask, a personalized jersey is just silly. Dwayne Roloson's a tool, so it doesn't suprise me he'd want it done. All the goalie's in favour of this are frickin' fogies, who cares what they want?

Guest .scott.
No way.

The goalie is a player, not a billboard.

This is what we want to believe.

its gonna happen, if they do it in europe it'll happen here eventually...

This is the reality of sports and advertising.

Guest GoHabsGo_CanucksAreChoking
No way.

The goalie is a player, not a billboard.

The NHL is just all about making money [what isn't?]

Goalies are not walking advertisements. <_<

Plus those jerseys are ugly as sin. Advertisements down the arms, on the front, making the logo smaller, and I'm guessing since the number is on the front of the jersey there is a giant advertisement on his back. :\

Guest ComeBackStanley

as a sociology major and one who plans to focus on media if i do my masters...this irks me...but does not surprise me...andi would assume the goalie's involved would get an extra paycheck or something...i hope this is a joke though

Guest Blockoman

Advertising has been done in the NHL before. Look at the New York Islanders of 1995. If that wasn't a skating advertisment for Gorton's Fisherman, I don't know what it was.

But seriously, why do we need even more of this? The boards are covered with them, they're on the ice, in the corridors of arenas, on the jumbotron, in public restrooms, and as sponsors of power plays and penalty kills. The last thing the NHL needs is a closeup of the Coca-Cola logo every time a goalie makes a huge save. What's next? Replacing the national anthems with a McDonalds commercial? What a joke.

The abundance of ads is one of the reasons I'm not watching local hockey. This is how a goalie looks here in Czech Rep.:

extraligaqg8.jpg

You can barely recognize the team logo. God forbid this trend invades the NHL..

Guest FlHabsFan
The abundance of ads is one of the reasons I'm not watching local hockey. This is how a goalie looks here in Czech Rep.:

extraligaqg8.jpg

Any more patches and people wont even know who their own team is. Theyll pass to a guy thinking its their winger, when its the d-man from the other team.

If Betteman did this to the NHL, I would hope someone found him, pulled off his arms and beat him with his own limbs.

^^^^^Like wow...Ugly as sin.f30696f78f58437e905ad8e2f06fd52c.400.jpgNotice the Pepsi logo on D'Agostini's right shoulder...That's ok, but freekin Nascar style logo'ing...JOG THE EFFF ON!!!
This doesn't bother me much, especially since the Pepsi logo is red, white and blue.. just like the team colours! :lol:Fine for the dogs, still not sure I'd like it on the CH.
The abundance of ads is one of the reasons I'm not watching local hockey. This is how a goalie looks here in Czech Rep.:extraligaqg8.jpgYou can barely recognize the team logo. God forbid this trend invades the NHL..
eww... gross.

Guest silversnake

i can't believe brodeur and turco are on that list.

That is a horrible picture posted , i love the habs logo for a reason. it's simple yet amazing. that thing is horrible

on the bulldogs picture it's not so bad , it's simple but the logo shouldn't be shrunk like it is posted in the article.

extraligaqg8.jpg

There's a team logo??

Guest thefooligan5
This doesn't bother me much, especially since the Pepsi logo is red, white and blue.. just like the team colours! :lol:Fine for the dogs, still not sure I'd like it on the CH.eww... gross.

see that is a slippery slop. a few of you are saying that the pepsi logo does not look too bad on the dogs' jerseys. well i hate to say this but this is exactly how the NHL logo creep will begin. corporate logos will start of small and quite will be altered so the colours blend with the rest of the jerseys. the jerseys will not immediately look like the one pictured on brodeur. but over time and over the years, corporate logos will get bigger and will eventaully ban the idea of trying to blend in with the uniform to the point where the players do look like nascars. But the outrage will be minimal because with each small step the masses will say, "It's not that bad."

We, as fans, need the foresight to know this so we can stop the NHL from making this decision in the first place. And if you don't think we have any power, then you know nothing of the entertainment industry.

see that is a slippery slop. a few of you are saying that the pepsi logo does not look too bad on the dogs' jerseys. well i hate to say this but this is exactly how the NHL logo creep will begin. corporate logos will start of small and quite will be altered so the colours blend with the rest of the jerseys. the jerseys will not immediately look like the one pictured on brodeur. but over time and over the years, corporate logos will get bigger and will eventaully ban the idea of trying to blend in with the uniform to the point where the players do look like nascars. But the outrage will be minimal because with each small step the masses will say, "It's not that bad."

We, as fans, need the foresight to know this so we can stop the NHL from making this decision in the first place. And if you don't think we have any power, then you know nothing of the entertainment industry.

I actually agree with you. Was just pointing out how the Pepsi logo colours fit so "nicely" with the Dog's jerseys.

Guest Ricochet

I just caught wind of this and thought I would see if it was being discussed.

Here's a Brodeur pic apparently showing a proposed NHL version : http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/304287

If you argue against it you are a traditionalist? I'm all for change that improves the product on the ice and makes it more entertaining. I'm disappointed in any player who would approve of this proposal. I don't consider myself a traditionalist and I approve of many changes that have been made to improve the game. Once in a while a really bad idea finds it's way into the mix though (glowing pucks anybody?). Eventually, you won't be able to identify the players, as the ice, boards and uniforms will be blasted with advertisements and the whole game will look like a shifting mass of confetti.

I have another idea, allow companies to advertise by purchasing goals for the home team.

Seriously though, if you want to advertise on the goaltender, one sponsor per goalie and do it on the equipment. Apparently Grant Fuhr used pads during an all star game that were designed as a Pepsi advertisement but I can't find a picture, help?

I don't complain about the earnings the players make. As long as it is sustainable and the team feels they are worth it. I just want to watch the game and enjoy it. There is plenty of advertising available already. We had a lockout for a reason, and one main reason was to get the finances under control. As long as the cap is increasing, I assume the finances are in the black. If they aren't, lower the cap and stop entertaining ludicrous ideas to increase revenues. Then you talk about increasing viewership on top of that. If people wanted to watch 2 or 3 hours of commercials, we wouldn't need the players at all.

End of rant.

EDIT : Forgot to mention. Who is looking forward to cheering on the Montreal Bells or the Toronto Air Canadas?

Guest ComeBackStanley
I just caught wind of this and thought I would see if it was being discussed.

Here's a Brodeur pic apparently showing a proposed NHL version : http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/304287

If you argue against it you are a traditionalist? I'm all for change that improves the product on the ice and makes it more entertaining. I'm disappointed in any player who would approve of this proposal. I don't consider myself a traditionalist and I approve of many changes that have been made to improve the game. Once in a while a really bad idea finds it's way into the mix though (glowing pucks anybody?). Eventually, you won't be able to identify the players, as the ice, boards and uniforms will be blasted with advertisements and the whole game will look like a shifting mass of confetti.

I have another idea, allow companies to advertise by purchasing goals for the home team.

Seriously though, if you want to advertise on the goaltender, one sponsor per goalie and do it on the equipment. Apparently Grant Fuhr used pads during an all star game that were designed as a Pepsi advertisement but I can't find a picture, help?

I don't complain about the earnings the players make. As long as it is sustainable and the team feels they are worth it. I just want to watch the game and enjoy it. There is plenty of advertising available already. We had a lockout for a reason, and one main reason was to get the finances under control. As long as the cap is increasing, I assume the finances are in the black. If they aren't, lower the cap and stop entertaining ludicrous ideas to increase revenues. Then you talk about increasing viewership on top of that. If people wanted to watch 2 or 3 hours of commercials, we wouldn't need the players at all.

End of rant.

EDIT : Forgot to mention. Who is looking forward to cheering on the Montreal Bells or the Toronto Air Canadas?

that's the day i'll be like "well kids in my day there was a great sport called hockey"...i will not support it. I think the players should be players and people, not bilboards. I realise there will be advertisint somewhere and that's how teams make money, but please lets keep it on inanimate objects. (though i realise the shirt itself is not alive in any way lol). While i like clear boards i would rather the ads stay on the boards than move (or rather spread) to the jerseys of the players...and even more so since they switch half the ads that do go on the board every period...how many more ads can ou get?

oh and when you buy a jersey...will it have all the ads on it as well? "you want me to number it? oh no sorry we do not do that anymore but we have a number advertisement stickers we can add on for you" no Thank you

Archived