The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

New Look For Goaltenders' Jerseys?

Wayne-1

Guest GoHabsGo_CanucksAreChoking

The day this ever happens to the NHL, I am immediately NOT watching the NHL anymore.

Junior hockey all the way! [unless this travels to Junior Hockey] Then... uhhhh.. curling FTW? :blink:

Who is looking forward to cheering on the Montreal Bells or the Toronto Air Canadas?

Oh, totally me.

GO BELLS GO?

:blink:

Yeah it just doesn't work.

Guest Habs_Mania

the day the habs symbol is made smaller to accomodate room for advertising is the day i will completely forget the nhl even exists. disgusting. you DON'T mess with the jersey! i hope gary bettman falls in a greasy mudpuddle today.

Guest hatethoseleafs

I dont like the idea one bit. Its enough that equipment manufacturers get to have their names on various pieces of equipment. I seem to remember awhile back where only NHL approved things like sticks were allowed, and anybody who used something outside of the approved items had to tape over the name. I'm not sure if that rule is still in effect or if those items are now simply banned outright.

I dont think the fans will have much control over this decision one way or another unless a bunch of nation wide boycotts of those sponsors sprung up in protest. Those are difficult to both organize and be effective. I could maybe stomach a comprimise of allowing adds on,,,, lets say player helmets but, once you open up Pandora's box then its hard not to let it spread.

Guest thefooligan5
I dont like the idea one bit. Its enough that equipment manufacturers get to have their names on various pieces of equipment. I seem to remember awhile back where only NHL approved things like sticks were allowed, and anybody who used something outside of the approved items had to tape over the name. I'm not sure if that rule is still in effect or if those items are now simply banned outright.

I dont think the fans will have much control over this decision one way or another unless a bunch of nation wide boycotts of those sponsors sprung up in protest. Those are difficult to both organize and be effective. I could maybe stomach a comprimise of allowing adds on,,,, lets say player helmets but, once you open up Pandora's box then its hard not to let it spread.

should this happen, future generations will be calling our present day hockey, "The era of the boring jersey."

you DON'T mess with the jersey!

I second this. As a French not living in a mountainous area (where you have about 0.2% of chance to grow an interest in hockey compared to the 0.05% in the rest of the country), I probably started to like hockey during the 1992 winter olympics in Albertville, and it's probably the overall look of the goalies that got me hook (the French goalie was Petri Ylönen) maybe cuz' they look bulky like Optimus Prime, my youth hero, yeah :D .

I then converted a Lego character into a hockey goalie :P

I'm really not sure the same goalie full of sponsors would've had the same effect :angry:

The abundance of ads is one of the reasons I'm not watching local hockey. This is how a goalie looks here in Czech Rep.:

Same here, with the swiss championship.

I'd rather see a part free for each player to cutomise, kind of like the goalie helmet, not with sponsors, but whatever they'd fancy, something from their birth place, hometown, career record, not something looking too much military, more like some knight's crest or something. But maybe it would quickly be destroyed or torn apart :P

• 1 month later...
Guest GoHabsGo_CanucksAreChoking
The abundance of ads is one of the reasons I'm not watching local hockey. This is how a goalie looks here in Czech Rep.:

extraligaqg8.jpg

You can barely recognize the team logo. God forbid this trend invades the NHL..

There's an advertisement on the goalies blocker..

and also, the day they switch to this. I will shoot myself, and I will wish that Bettman wrecks his best suit! :angry: OR listen to the radio to hear the games.

I like the Bettman wrecking his best suit part, mixed with me listening to the radio for games! ;)

• 6 months later...

People will be gouging their eyes out after seeing this horrific jerseys (if their eyes haven't bled until deemed useless first..) if brought to the NHL. As if the NHL doesn't already make enough money by selling hockey tickets 20 times more expensive than they should be, or merchandise that is made in a country with cheap labour and cheap material and costs 2 $ to make but then they sell it for 15 $ and charge 12 dollars and 53 cents for shipping and handling.

I guess that's business for ya, money is better than having satisfied customers who might come back for more if they knew they were getting things for a good price instead of only being able to go to 1-2 games a year or only 1 piece of merchandise because they're so damn expensive. :angry: I can understand them wanting money (who doesn't want more money) but this jersey thing is just over the top.

is this the thin edge of the wedge?

Screaming bloody murder over Tampa Bay's 'Saw V' goalie masks

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d...?urn=nhl,117172

Most definitely.

Reminds me of the base advertising for baseball. The problem being, baseball is protected more vehemently by the American fan base than hockey. There is little to prevent this from becoming the norm however unless there is an outcry by tradionalist and casual fan alike.

There are many things wrong with this scenario. Not the least of which being the owner's connection to the movie itself. That is a conflict of interest. It puts the players and the league in the awkward position of saying no to an owner and the charity angle is transparent at best. This owner should be rebuffed harshly and promptly, or who knows what antics we have to look forward to league wide.

If it were specifically done to help charity, I would approve. This is obviously a marketing ploy however.

This also answers one question I had after the preseason. With the commercial breaks being delayed from icing calls now, it seems like there are less commercials overall. How does the league plan on regaining lost revenue from the rule changes?

The players should not be subjected to becoming billboards, period. That includes equipment and jerseys and most definitely goalie masks, possibly the most personal piece of equipment in the entire game, including the jock strap.

If there is some design to go against this current standard, it should be a league wide issue, not the singling out of two goaltenders and forcing them to play along with your schemes.

The whole thing is sickening. I have no problem with the masks themselves and it is actually not a bad idea if it is approached properly. It is the connection and the product that are the problems in this instance, aside from the sanctity of the mask itself. If every goaltender in the league were approached to wear a special mask with the red cross logo, for example, to advertise giving blood and those were auctioned off for charity, it becomes perfectly acceptable. Being victimized because you happen to play on the wrong team at the wrong time to advertise a horror movie on behalf of an owner with a piddling amount going to charity in exchange, is wrong.

If I were the two goaltenders, I would have issues with the whole thing and let it be known.

Most definitely.

Reminds me of the base advertising for baseball. The problem being, baseball is protected more vehemently by the American fan base than hockey. There is little to prevent this from becoming the norm however unless there is an outcry by tradionalist and casual fan alike.

There are many things wrong with this scenario. Not the least of which being the owner's connection to the movie itself. That is a conflict of interest. It puts the players and the league in the awkward position of saying no to an owner and the charity angle is transparent at best. This owner should be rebuffed harshly and promptly, or who knows what antics we have to look forward to league wide.

If it were specifically done to help charity, I would approve. This is obviously a marketing ploy however.

This also answers one question I had after the preseason. With the commercial breaks being delayed from icing calls now, it seems like there are less commercials overall. How does the league plan on regaining lost revenue from the rule changes?

The players should not be subjected to becoming billboards, period. That includes equipment and jerseys and most definitely goalie masks, possibly the most personal piece of equipment in the entire game, including the jock strap.

If there is some design to go against this current standard, it should be a league wide issue, not the singling out of two goaltenders and forcing them to play along with your schemes.

The whole thing is sickening. I have no problem with the masks themselves and it is actually not a bad idea if it is approached properly. It is the connection and the product that are the problems in this instance, aside from the sanctity of the mask itself. If every goaltender in the league were approached to wear a special mask with the red cross logo, for example, to advertise giving blood and those were auctioned off for charity, it becomes perfectly acceptable. Being victimized because you happen to play on the wrong team at the wrong time to advertise a horror movie on behalf of an owner with a piddling amount going to charity in exchange, is wrong.

If I were the two goaltenders, I would have issues with the whole thing and let it be known.

While I agree that the players should not become billboards, I can't imagine the goalies in this case being "forced". I would imagine they had a choice and for whatever reason (likely due to the charitable angle) said yes.

Most definitely.

Agreed! Even if this is giving money to charity (by auctioning the masks) it's still not any better that they're putting 'Saw V' on it and advertising it to thousands of people. If they were really looking to give money to charity, they would've done campaignes or put charity advertisements on the masks, maybe even auction off some game-worn jerseys. There's tons of opportunities to give to charity, the one they chose was not the best for charity, but for themselves.

Dunno the story behind closed doors on the matter, but a goalie's mask is his personal "space". It's his face. It's where he gets to express himself with either pro-team decals or favourite singers or insights into his mindscape. I know these will be sold for charity, and I don't even know if Kolzig or Smitty like the Saw movies...I think it's absolutely stupid, not to mention goes against the "market hockey for families in America" motto, as the Saw franchise is definitely not a family movie thing.

Just add it to a pile of WRONG the new Lightning owners have done...

Just wait until buttman's pal Bruckheimer gets his Vegas team... I can see them using goalie masks to sell his latest movie or his various TV series... Pirates of the Caribbean part 6 goalie masks...
ohhh, if Hollywood gets involved it could be fun... imagine a green-screen face-mask and goalie equipment, it could have moving images chroma-keyed onto it for telecasts... slightly more difficult than the current virtual first down lines NFL telecasts now use but well within the realm of possibility...

While I agree that the players should not become billboards, I can't imagine the goalies in this case being "forced". I would imagine they had a choice and for whatever reason (likely due to the charitable angle) said yes.

It's sort of like being asked to do something you don't really want to do by your boss. It's hard to say no to that sort of request, even if you don't agree with it or want to be involved. You aren't forced, but you are compelled.

ohhh, if Hollywood gets involved it could be fun... imagine a green-screen face-mask and goalie equipment, it could have moving images chroma-keyed onto it for telecasts... slightly more difficult than the current virtual first down lines NFL telecasts now use but well within the realm of possibility...

Brodeur could have horns and a flaming head. Then they could bring the glowing puck back because it couldn't possibly make the game any more ridiculous.

Brodeur could have horns and a flaming head. Then they could bring the glowing puck back because it couldn't possibly make the game any more ridiculous.

Haha! Why in the world did they even invent a "glowing puck", it's not like the NHL games are played in the darkness. How screwed up would that be, they've millions if not billions of dollars and they couldn't afford lighting? Either that or it would be a money saving scheme that they would diguise as "saving power" *cough* :rolleyes:

I guess I am a traditionalist, the day the NHL Jersey's are made to become skating Billboards like the one's in Europe is the day I turn my back on them. For me it does not matter if it's only the goalie's or the entire team Jerseys that carry the advertisements it just looks plain stupid and ridiculous.

Greed will unfortunately win out, I hope I am wrong.

Archived