The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Vacation In Canada?

FlyersFanTN1

Guest FlyersFanTN

My girlfriend and I were thinking about taking a trip up to Canada. We thought of a few cities to visit, but have pretty much settled on Montreal. Is there anything anyone can give me on what there is to see in Montreal, where would be the best place to stay, if there are areas of Montreal to avoid, and basically just what its like there? thanks.

Guest Lafleurfan2

Im 337 miles south of Montreal but my friend goes up to Montreal him and his family went last summer.

He told me that the old section is very beautiful he said there are a lot of sights. I believe he metioned that it's

far from the arena. the other guys on the board will be able to help you more. You also might want to stop by your

travel agent and ask some questions.

Guest LeafsNation1967

Got some great advice: Avoid all hockey fans that are out of their mind nuts that their team is the best team ever to hit the ice ( they think that every year) and that it's cool when someone on their team cheap shots another player then can call it a body check, but if you do the same to them, that player should be kicked out of the league

In closing- Avoid the most ignorant, disrespectable and the fans every on around the league hates.

Got some great advice: Avoid all hockey fans that are out of their mind nuts that their team is the best team ever to hit the ice ( they think that every year) and that it's cool when someone on their team cheap shots another player then can call it a body check, but if you do the same to them, that player should be kicked out of the league

In closing- Avoid the most ignorant, disrespectable and the fans every on around the league hates.

Don't worry, there's not that many Leafs fans in Montreal.

Guest habs_fan1160

Lol, here comes the jealous. Not to get too off topic but when was the last time the Leafs were figting for top spot?? :)

Anyway, I've been to Montreal several times, great choice. There's so much to do there.

Guest lecavalierrocks

LoL at Graeme's Post!

Montreal is a beautiful city, It has the old european charm and the new more contemporay style of America. Old Montreal is just Beautiful, Thanks to our subway system, you can go from The Olympique Stadium, to the Old Port to The bell Center in 30 minutes, It's amazing althought the bus's are not always reliable lol

Downtown has plenty of shopping, and Thanks to the underground village, you can go to 4-5 malls without going outside, Take for Example Alexis Nihon Mall is at Station Atwater, its a smaller mall with a few nice clothes shops, a 15 or so restaurant food court, a couple of Sports stores etc. and you can always get acces to Dawson College from Atwater Metro, Next off to Peel Metro, It gives you access to an upscale mall (where most Montreal Canadiens players shop, Les Cours Mont-Royal. It has multiple upscale Shops such as Club Monaco, 3 monkeys, Juan & Juanita, DNKY, Giorgio Emporio, Dolce & Gabanna, and more. The Metro Level has mostly small restaurants and the fourth floor is for condos. and then there's McGill Metro where you will find a wide Variety of shops, stores, and restaurants. Both Peel and McGill are situated in the Heart of downtown Montreal Where as Atwater is located between Westmount and Downtown.

Montreal is also reknowned for it's NightLife, if your part of the younger crowd, (16-20) Crescent street is most likely for you, (you'll mostly find younger people and tourists there) if not, The Main is for you, Saint-Laurent Boulevard is home to some of Montreal's best Clubs/Lounges and Finest Restaurants such as Buonnanotte, Sofia Bar and Grill, Med Grill, Primadonna etc...

If you want beautiful views of the city at sunset or at night, I strongly recommend the Mount-Royal Observatory or you could walk up and down Avenue des Pins, It has the most beautiful views of the city. Ive taken many pictures but I cannot upload them at this time. If you have any other Questions, you can always ask me! :)

Most of the Major Hotels are Located Downtown, such as the Delta, the Hilton, the Ritz, The Mariott etc. and the price tag goes with the Location, but there are many little inns and B&B's around the city, you just have to look online.

There arent many places I would suggest you avoid, maybe Montreal North, lot's of gangs and anyways, it's more of an industrial/residential area so not much to see there.

Guest Lafleurfan2

This is for Leafsnation1967 We don't go onto your teams board and say nasty things about your city why

do you come over here and say bad things like the canadiens cheap shots another team they call it a body check and the player should be kicked out of the leauge you. also metioned that everybody around the leauge hates us ( I will agree with the Islanders, Devils maybe senators and Bruins) You know what Leafsfannation1967 I live closer to these area's Long Island , Newark New Jersey and Boston I can tell you something Montreal is a million times better hockey team and hockey area than these area's.

Montreal fans ARE NOT ignorant they are smart talented and beautiful. If you love the leafs so much why don't you go over to your board and discuss your team. why not come over here and help the Fan from Phily give him some advice about the Great city of Montreal If you were a good person you could recommend some hotels

and some sites for him he's a long way from Montreal.

Guest habs_fan1160

One of my fav things in MTL was riding the subway...sounds boring, I know. But it was after a Habs playoff game and I met so many interesting/facinating people. Plus the subway system in MTL seems a lot cleaner and less diseased than the ones I've been on in Toronto. :)

Guest 1stroundpick

I use to live in Montreal and worked 13 years on the road. I can write a book on this city,unfortunatly I am at work here in Alberta and dont have alot of time to write this reply. I wont tell you much about shopping...I think it has been covered. Eat Eat Eat lots of good food in montreal at every price range. DO NOT MISS A SCHWARTZ SMOKED MEAT. I tell you right now that it is a hole in the wall but you cant experience Montreal without it. I have brought many poeple there from alot of different places and everytime I talk to them its all about the smoked meat. ( St.Laurent close to Pine Ave.) Moishes next door for a awesome steak. Walk down that strip for alot of diffent culters (food and small shops) You want to party like a rock star, go to Crescent wich is mainly english speaking . (Young crowd and alot of tourists) If you want more french culture go party on St.Denis just down the road from St.Laurent and that all famous Schwartz. Old Montreal on a warm weekend night will rock your world ,alot of great but expensive food. Lots of art and archetechure ( bad spelling=( ..... Dont forget some of the nicest fireworks anywhere in the Old Port 2 times a week in the summer and you have concerts,jazz fest,just for laughs comedy fest,Formula 1 racing . dont forget the World championships for hockey played in Quebec city/Halifax in May. If its still winter when you go, you have to go to the Laurentians (St Sauveur) Ski Hills and very Euorpean style town. Not much to do at night anymore though. Stay away from Mount Tremblent wich is spectacular but too expensive. Anyways thats it for now ....Back to work before the boss rips me a new one. Have fun and beleive me you wont regret your choice of visiting Montreal. :D

Guest theo_addict

HASTY GENERALIZATION....you must be a toronto fan :P

*whens the last time you saw the cup in color lol

Guest Serge Aubin

I don't know too much about Montreal, but if you can, you should also make the trip out to Quebec city while you're in the province. The old city is quite nice.

Guest lecavalierrocks
I don't know too much about Montreal, but if you can, you should also make the trip out to Quebec city while you're in the province. The old city is quite nice.

Very True, and it's just a 3 hour drive from Montreal. It's a beautiful city.

Guest ComeBackStanley

i think people have covered most of it...hard to know sightseeing in your own city sometimes lol...one thing that's been left out i believe is the Oratory... i think its deserving of a visit even if one isn't religious, and if you are i believe just outside of it there's a little shop were you can buy rosaries, etc. or even if you're not into that, sometimes some family members are and it can make a nice gift.

an other church that people visit (though i think the visiting hours are less frequent than the oratory) would be the Notredame which is in the old port. I would say you can skip that one, but its pretty to look at from the outside. i'm not sure about fees for either of these.

and... leafs nation...we don't call dirty hits body checks...that ELBOW (or shoulder whatever it was) Kovalev hit Tucker with...was GENIOUS :P illegal in terms of rules but great.

Guest Cenner Hice

Class response from someone who will never, ever have to change their name.

Can you imagine: CanadiensNation1968... doh! 1969... Doh! 1971... Doh! 1973... Doh! 1976... Doh! 1977... [Repeat ad infinitum]

That aside, Montreal is a great city to visit. So much to see and do. But I'll definitely reiterate the suggestion to go to the Mount Royal Observatory. Great city views when I was last there (in 1988!). And I don't know if the general public can go up 1 Place Ville Marie, but the views from up there were spectacular, too.

Guest Got Kovalev?

Montreal is my favorite, you can also tour the Bell Centre that's what I did when I went. It was fun :)

Also just some advice don't go to Ottawa, it's horrible there so boring lol

• 3 weeks later...
Guest GoHabsGo_CanucksAreChoking

LMAO nice.

:lol: :lol:

Yeah and don't come to Vancouver, idiotic Canuck fans everywhere. They're bandwagon jumpers. :P

Guest ryanrdt
LMAO nice.

:lol: :lol:

Yeah and don't come to Vancouver, idiotic Canuck fans everywhere. They're bandwagon jumpers. :P

I love montreal but Vancouver is an awesome place to visit as well.

However if you want to see the Stanley Cup this summer you will have to go to Toronto.........

It is in the Hockey hall of Fame

Archived