The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

One Minute Penaties For Ot Pondered

habulator

Guest GoHabsGo_CanucksAreChoking
It seems that the NHL is pondering switching to one minute penalties in OT. This is what I've been calling for ever since OT was brought in.

Check it out :

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=229990&hubname=nhl

I don't really agree with this, if they hooked someone or tripped them, etc. They should take the 2mins, it's the players fault if they trip them [unless it's a cheap call by the ref] and they should serve it.

I don't really agree with this, if they hooked someone or tripped them, etc. They should take the 2mins, it's the players fault if they trip them [unless it's a cheap call by the ref] and they should serve it.

But doesn't it seem like a disproportionate amount of time to be penalized considering the amount of time to play?

Also it is a 4-3 penalty, much more dangerous than in regulation where it would be 5 on 4.

Guest lfrommtl

well a penalty in reg time is 2.00 10% of a period

and 2.00 in OT is 40% of the period.

even by making it one minute its still double the value that it is in a period.

so logically it works.

but i still prefer making them serve the full time.

only because its 2 of the most exciting or heart wrenching moments in hockey

Guest overlords

I'd rather them fix it so that if someone does something stupid right before shootout, they get penalized. I think that we're very far from needing to make penalties less feared.

Guest ChitownHabby

In response to the gm meetings:

#1 - 10 minute OT

#2 - Make the PP 5 on 4 in OT instead of 4 on 3.

#3 - All High sticking infractions that draw blood are 5 minutes of uninterrupted PP time like the old days.

#4 - Hits from behind result in a 2500$ fine, then 1 game for a second offence and 5 games for offence #3.

#5 - MARKET the game in the US better!

I live in Chicago, there are zero NHL commercials on network tv and the ones on NHL tv are actually pretty funny. The one with Ryan Miller and the father in the nursery should be on major networks. Have a Gatorade commercial of Crosby vs Ovechkin like the old Bird vs Jordan, Send Iginla and Ray Emery into the inner city and prove that black people DO play hockey, Ask Maxim to do a photoshoot of hottest hockey wives, Put one of the dead franchises(Nashville) in Winnipeg, change the schedule(the habs only play here once in 2 yrs) and Get the game back on ESPN!!!!!!!!!

I think that the % of penalty minutes over the duration of the OT period is not something to be considered. What would be next? reducing the duration of penalties in the last five minutes of the 3rd period too? 2 minutes for a minor is fine as it is now, no matter when in the game. at 4 vs 4, put your best passers and best skaters out there, no reason to take a penalty, if they do, too bad.

Guest GoHabsGo57

A 10 minute OT period would work much better. 5 minutes of 4-on-4, then 5 minutes of 3-on-3, then if no one scores, a Shootout. IMO there are too many shootouts ending games this year, and I'm not a big fan of the shootout. <_<

In response to the gm meetings:

#1 - 10 minute OT

#2 - Make the PP 5 on 4 in OT instead of 4 on 3.

#3 - All High sticking infractions that draw blood are 5 minutes of uninterrupted PP time like the old days.

#4 - Hits from behind result in a 2500$ fine, then 1 game for a second offence and 5 games for offence #3.

#5 - MARKET the game in the US better!

I live in Chicago, there are zero NHL commercials on network tv and the ones on NHL tv are actually pretty funny. The one with Ryan Miller and the father in the nursery should be on major networks. Have a Gatorade commercial of Crosby vs Ovechkin like the old Bird vs Jordan, Send Iginla and Ray Emery into the inner city and prove that black people DO play hockey, Ask Maxim to do a photoshoot of hottest hockey wives, Put one of the dead franchises(Nashville) in Winnipeg, change the schedule(the habs only play here once in 2 yrs) and Get the game back on ESPN!!!!!!!!!

Ahh........ that's what I'd really like in OT. Penalties would be played at 5 on 4 - although it does present the problem of getting the extra players off the ice at the end of the penalty.

I think that the % of penalty minutes over the duration of the OT period is not something to be considered. What would be next? reducing the duration of penalties in the last five minutes of the 3rd period too? 2 minutes for a minor is fine as it is now, no matter when in the game. at 4 vs 4, put your best passers and best skaters out there, no reason to take a penalty, if they do, too bad.

So than in your opinion a penalty at the last of overtime is less serious than one at the beginning of OT?

For example, they could both be tripping penalties - but I'd rather be the team with the 4 on 3 PP.

I don't like this idea - I understand the motivation, but I think it encourages breaking the rules, specifically hooking, by making less of a deterrent. Player should know the significance of that 2 minutes and avoid stupid penalties - this is one way overtime can be kept opened up.

What bugs me about Burke is every rule change he wants to see will directly and disproportionality benefit his (physical, penalty taking) team

Although making it a 5 on 4 could work, with some creativity to get the specifics down.

I don't like this idea - I understand the motivation, but I think it encourages breaking the rules, specifically hooking, by making less of a deterrent. Player should know the significance of that 2 minutes and avoid stupid penalties - this is one way overtime can be kept opened up.

What bugs me about Burke is every rule change he wants to see will directly and disproportionality benefit his (physical, penalty taking) team

Although making it a 5 on 4 could work, with some creativity to get the specifics down.

I don't understand how you think this encourages players to break the rules. With the way they enforce the rules now (phantom penalties) I think it only fair that penalties be applied equally.

Why specifically should the same infraction be penalized in two different ways. You play the whole game with minor penalties being a 5on4, and then when the game is on the line it suddenly changes.

I'm sorry - it is stupid in this long time hockey fans opinion. However I do realize that my opinion is worth no more than anyone else's.

I kind of like the idea of a 1 minute OT penalty instead of 2. What if McGeough is reffing us again and gives Plekanec another penalty off the face-off but this time in OT? I'd lose 10 years off my life if we had to kill a 2 minute penalty like that.

Guest 1970 Habs

Burke leading the charge. Every time I hear his name I cannot help but wonder how much overall influence he still has since being an Exec in the NHL; just now it is at the GM table.

Maybe its just that the media picks up everything he says and runs with it. :blink:

Guest QbGamer

Hmm i dunno, Either way im ok with it i guess,

The thing is what if a penalty carried over from the previous period, so there are 90 seconds left in the penalty would that then be converted to 45 seconds? or the full 90.

It could get complicated

Guest thefooligan5
Hmm i dunno, Either way im ok with it i guess,

The thing is what if a penalty carried over from the previous period, so there are 90 seconds left in the penalty would that then be converted to 45 seconds? or the full 90.

It could get complicated

i was wondering the same thing.

if a player is penalized with 1:30 left in the third then will he still have to serve 30 seconds in OT or will it be 15 seconds? or will he not have serve anytime because his 1 minute has already passed.

Also, a player penalized with 30 seconds left in the game, do they serve their final 1:30 in OT or halve it to .45 or further still have the player serve only 30 seconds to complete the minute?

How about a 5 minute major? 4 minute major?

It could all get very complicated.

As someone mentioned a 10 minute overtime may be good. But if that is the case, then I still think a 5 minute 3-3 is required.

Archived