The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

New York Rangers @ Montreal | Feb. 19 2008 | Final: 6-5 Habs (s/o)

jl-1

Guest FlHabsFan
Just checked out and read THE WHOLE GDT at the NYR messageboard. Pretty funny, they thought that THEY got robbed by the refs.

They only had like 2 penalties to our 30.

A few weeks ago, when they came back and beat Jersey, I was more proud of them than at any other time this year.

Tonight, they just raised the bar.

To come back from a 5-0 deficit, against a team that had beaten them three times already this year, and WIN in the shootout, is truly something special.

Positives:

• Michael Ryder. Kudos to you, Michael. This is the sort of opportunistic game in the high slot I was praying for going into tonight’s match. Of course, I had no way of knowing it would be good for 2 goals and 1 assist! :) Up and down, regardless of the season he’s had thus far, this is the clutch Michael Ryder that people are trying to erase from our past history. This is the game who had a hat trick in the last game of last season, who scored the OT winner against Carolina in game 2 of the 05-06 series, who came up with crucial goals at key times again and again over the past three years. I’ve taken him to task at times this year for not giving full effort, and defended him at other times for being the team scapegoat, but tonight: nothing but praise. Way to go, Michael. You just made it impossible for your coach to bench you. :lol:
  • Saku. So where are those people who keep saying that Saku contributes little to our team this year on the ice? And a certain loud-jacketed CBC personality who claimed that Saku wasn’t showing emotion after scoring? It sure looked like he was excited at scoring what would turn out to be the game winner!
  • Team effort. At 5-0, they could have folded up shop, but they didn’t. They kept coming and made me eat my words — I had told my girlfriend that the game was over after the first period. ;)
  • Cristobal Huet. Forget the result of the game. Forget the goals, the comeback, everything. I’m happiest for Huet because he stood tall in the shootout and gave up nothing to Shanahan, Drury, and Jagr. That has got to be a huge monkey off his back. I said coming in that if Price had a subpar outing, then Carbo should go to Huet on Thursday against Pittsburgh, and I stand with that.
  • Kovalev. The incredible bounce-back season just continues, as Kovy is now, with 29 goals and 32 assists, a legit PPG on the season, with 61 points in 61 games. And hats off to Kovalev for making sure to tell the post-game reporters that Ryder was the difference in this game. That’s a team leader right there, deflecting praise away from his own great game to help boost a struggling teammate’s confidence.

Negatives:

• Terrible defense and coverage early on which resulted in most of the Ranger goals. Markov and Komisarek probably had two of their worst shifts of the year on the two goals. Same for the Plekanec line, with Kostitsyn covering the wrong man at the blueline on goal 1 and Plekanec completely whiffing coverage on goal 2.
  • Rough night for Price. You can argue that the first goal was saveable, but the next two were no fault of his, especially considering that New York scored an almost identical PP goal to Shanahan’s one-time blast on Huet later. Just like Huet in Ottawa, Price will bounce back.
  • Atrocious PK work. We gave up the high slot like it had a contagious disease, and never once got sticks in the shooting lanes to prevent the passes on the Shanahan and Drury PP goals.
  • A disappointing night for Higgins, who never seemed comfortable with the puck and who kept making bad decisions on quality scoring chances.

I thought I'd join this topic... I watched the game... I had a feeling, I KNEW it was time for our revenge, but after it was 5-0 I started to doubt. Undoubtably one of the greatest games I've ever witnessed. I really can't say much else about it. Not only am I happy for the 2 points, but the fact that the habs proved that even when all looks lost, they will NEVER die! INCREADIBLE! Now if you excuse me, I have some gloating to do.

Guest Yabasta

Wow, that was a crazy game from what I've heard. I had to leave to work and it 5-2 by that time, 2 goals by Ryder. 2 goals by Ryder ffs; I knew something was up with this but I would have never guess we would actually do a 5-0 come back to win in overtime. Seriously, just wow! It starts to remind me the 1993 playoff when we were winning every games in overtime during the playoff.

Great job guys, it smells the playoff for our habs! :)

Guest habs fan #1
Yup streit not knowingly deflected it in, but if he didnt deflect it in, it wouldnt have gone in..

Nope it may of landed somewhere near the North pole!

I guess hey bye!

Trade Ryder now... I dare ya...The problem is most you say trade Ryder when he doesn't score, ya love him when he does. In a perfect world we would have 20+ goals a night and then no one would need to get traded.

Koivu and Higgins struggle and do they get benched? NO. Why? Because they have letters. Being a 2 time 30 goal scorer Ryder deserved the A before Higgins. Higgins gets the A and thinks he can do it himself. The result is they all struggle. If Ryder was signed to a long term contract ,like he should've and given the A, like they should've, we may still have the Koivu, Higgins, Ryder line the top line with the Kovi, Plekanec and Kosti line the ace in the hole.

S Kosti needs to grow a set or maybe he is just young. Montreal need to start drafting some tough goal scorers those can score and fight, not turtle....Komi and Begin need to be there all the time.

However, probably the most exciting game I've watched in long time.

GO HABS GO!!!

Guest habs fan #1
For the first time in this board's history, lets get this game thread up to 100 pages!!!!

GO HABS GO

Komi owns dubinski!

I thought he was gonna be a sucker and come back for more

Guest GoHabsGo_CanucksAreChoking

I had that sick to my stomach feeling that we might lose this game.. but when I went to skating, all I thought about was about how the Habs could NOT lose this game, I came back. AND I SAW WE WON IN THE SHOOTOUT!

Carey Price still rocks even though he had a tough game. ^_^

I think Huet really wanted to show the team he wasn't ready to be unloaded, Both of our goalies played their best tonight.

I can't wait to see the highlights.

w00t

Guest TORHABSFAN
Trade Ryder now... I dare ya...The problem is most you say trade Ryder when he doesn't score, ya love him when he does. In a perfect world we would have 20+ goals a night and then no one would need to get traded.

Koivu and Higgins struggle and do they get benched? NO. Why? Because they have letters. Being a 2 time 30 goal scorer Ryder deserved the A before Higgins. Higgins gets the A and thinks he can do it himself. The result is they all struggle. If Ryder was signed to a long term contract ,like he should've and given the A, like they should've, we may still have the Koivu, Higgins, Ryder line the top line with the Kovi, Plekanec and Kosti line the ace in the hole.

S Kosti needs to grow a set or maybe he is just young. Montreal need to start drafting some tough goal scorers those can score and fight, not turtle....Komi and Begin need to be there all the time.

However, probably the most exciting game I've watched in long time.

GO HABS GO!!!

Before you get carried away here.. The diffrance is not the letters. koivu has been benched before so has Kovalev and Rivet and Souray before them. Higgins has been bumped to the 4th line as well..

But there is a diffrance. and its this. When Ryder is not scoring he really isn't doing anything productive and he hurts us defensively.

Wehn Higgins and Koivu aren't putting up points they still do other things well. For Koivu he is the best face off man on our team that doesn't win face offs. He is much better defensivley and is a playmaker.

For Higgins he plays defensivley and is great on the PK.

The diffrance is they are not useless when they don't score.

I hate making a post like this after the game Ryder had I am soo happy with him right now but I think this post was getting carried away. had to comment.

Guest habfansham
I had that sick to my stomach feeling that we might lose this game.. but when I went to skating, all I thought about was about how the Habs could NOT lose this game, I came back. AND I SAW WE WON IN THE SHOOTOUT!

Carey Price still rocks even though he had a tough game. ^_^

I think Huet really wanted to show the team he wasn't ready to be unloaded, Both of our goalies played their best tonight.

I can't wait to see the highlights.

w00t

I agree with you about Carey, he's a great guy.

Guest habs fan #1
if it wasnt for the fans, we would have never won this game. They won the game for us.

and I believe Komi's fights had a big part because it really got the fans going

Guest "Rocket"
Just checked out and read THE WHOLE GDT at the NYR messageboard. Pretty funny, they thought that THEY got robbed by the refs.

HAHAHAHAAHAHAH

yeah right, we got robbed, they were at least 2 PP for us during the OT.

Archived