The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

New York Rangers @ Montreal | Feb. 19 2008 | Final: 6-5 Habs (s/o)

jl-1

Guest d80jcrant
photo1.jpgphoto2.jpgphoto3.jpgphoto6.jpgphoto7.jpgphoto8.jpgphoto9.jpgphoto10.jpg
The pictures says it all. I woke up today and I am still soooo excited. It's not a dreamGo Habs GoIt is sooo amazing that the Habs were never boood at all in that game.Just amazing

Guest Ayan_SB

I was one of the lucky ones to be at the Bell Centre last night and my mere words cannot describe the atmostphere. It was a game for the ages, a game with so many elements, a game not to be forgotten. We were calling for Huet after Price faltered, we were cheering madly when Komisarek fought and of course, when he had his second penalty in a row, we were throwing the Go Habs Go signs. I couldn't throw it however, since we were on the endposts, behind the goaltenders, with the large nets. Watching all those signs get thrown on the ice, especially from our angle, was astounding and incredible all at once, it just shows how much we care, how much we look forward to. All of this before the Habs ever registered a goal. To see this year's unfortunate scapegoat Michael Ryder scoring those goals was truly special. To see this year's saviour Alex Kovalev falling down as he scored his goals was almost expected, nonethless fantastic. We cheered for every hit, every faceoff won, every powerplay, and jeered for every Jagr, Avery and Ranger poweplay. The atmosphere...it was the kind of moments that reminds us what it is to be a Montreal Canadiens fan. I have a short video of the game which I will try to post soon and last but not least, Go Habs Go!

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
I was one of the lucky ones to be at the Bell Centre last night and my mere words cannot describe the atmostphere. It was a game for the ages, a game with so many elements, a game not to be forgotten. We were calling for Huet after Price faltered, we were cheering madly when Komisarek fought and of course, when he had his second penalty in a row, we were throwing the Go Habs Go signs. I couldn't throw it however, since we were on the endposts, behind the goaltenders, with the large nets. Watching all those signs get thrown on the ice, especially from our angle, was astounding and incredible all at once, it just shows how much we care, how much we look forward to. All of this before the Habs ever registered a goal. To see this year's unfortunate scapegoat Michael Ryder scoring those goals was truly special. To see this year's saviour Alex Kovalev falling down as he scored his goals was almost expected, nonethless fantastic. We cheered for every hit, every faceoff won, every powerplay, and jeered for every Jagr, Avery and Ranger poweplay. The atmosphere...it was the kind of moments that reminds us what it is to be a Montreal Canadiens fan. I have a short video of the game which I will try to post soon and last but not least, Go Habs Go!

Awesome post. What a game to be a part of.

The official score sheet has the 3 stars as

1.Ryder

2.Kovalev

3.Jagr

Is this correct?

Again, Great Game Canadiens.

and why is this screen so stretched out:( nevermind it's the pictures 4 replies up.

Guest QbGamer

WHAT A GAME!

The pictures says it all. I woke up today and I am still soooo excited. It's not a dreamGo Habs GoIt is sooo amazing that the Habs were never boood at all in that game.Just amazing
Wow super cool

Guest RockMtl

Here is MY spin on why our BOY'S didn't get booed!!!

Even during the TIME the Rangers were scoring 5 goals - our BOY'S really didn't LET UP!! They were pushing - and running into BAD LUCK!

I figure - that's all WE as fans want and it worked!

I know that this is neither here nor there - but after the HABS scored their first goal - I yelled OUT - "Don't give UP!!!!"

How do you like that!!! - THEY DIDN'T!!!!!!!!!!

This city is going nuts, i can't imagine what's going to happen if we win the cup...LES BOIES MADE US ALL PROUD LAST NIGHT!!! KEEP IT UP !!!

If we win the cup, we prepared for a riot, a good kind of riot (in the not killing people but still damaging) because Montreal will be INSANE. So what does this mean? Join them!

Guest RockMtl
If we win the cup, we prepared for a riot, a good kind of riot (in the not killing people but still damaging) because Montreal will be INSANE. So what does this mean? Join them!

I'm not directing this at you Bourne - just some of the content. I understand your emotion.

I sure HOPE, that if 'our Dreams' are answered -- that the MONTREAL FANS conduct themselves in as much as a Professional and Classy manner - as our HABS TEAM !!

FILL the STREETS, call it a HOLIDAY, PARTY HARD - for 5 days if that be the case - but Riot and Damaging shouldn't be in our vocabulary and thoughts ---- " IF " !!

Guest overlords

School was fun today. Tons of people at vanier wearing habs jerseys, even a few friends of mine. Everytime someone new would walk into the computer lab we'd all be yelling; " Did you see the game??"

Guest ndnkovalev271139
I'm not directing this at you Bourne - just some of the content. I understand your emotion.

I sure HOPE, that if 'our Dreams' are answered -- that the MONTREAL FANS conduct themselves in as much as a Professional and Classy manner - as our HABS TEAM !!

FILL the STREETS, call it a HOLIDAY, PARTY HARD - for 5 days if that be the case - but Riot and Damaging shouldn't be in our vocabulary and thoughts ---- " IF " !!

Bro...this is Montreal if we win the CUP SOME PEOPLE gonna be out of it for a month...and yes it's impossible to stop a riot in this city, i don't agree with it, but it's been 15 years...if you thought 93 was bad...i'm sure this will make world news ..

not to rub it in to rangers fans or anything but here's a great read from the nypost on last night's game:

SACRE BLUE!

RANGERS BLOW 5-0 LEAD, LOSE IN SHOOTOUT TO HABS

By LARRY BROOKS

COLLAPSE! While Canadien goalie Cristobal Huet celebrates, the Rangers' Jaromir Jagr wears a stunned look last night after missing in the final round of the

February 20, 2008 -- MONTREAL - When the season is over, when the final tallies are counted and the standings are established, no one will differentiate between good points and bad points.

Know this, however - the term, "loser's point" was made for last night's Rangers hockey team that conspired to blow a 5-0 second-period lead on their way to an astonishing 6-5 shootout defeat to the Canadiens.

This was spectacular in the way of a five-alarm blaze. This was incredible entertainment.

MORE: Rangers Blog

Words won't matter for the Rangers, not in the wake of a night on which Saku Koivu's shootout score brought the Canadiens all the way back from a 5-0 hole into which they leaped with such gusto just 5:03 into the second. Brave stances of defiance won't matter for the Blueshirts, who dominated every facet of the game in building their lead and then simply collapsed after carrying a 5-2 lead into third.

And while the point ultimately is likely to matter, the Rangers now must confront the ghost of this colossal failure in which they played nearly the entire third period in the shadow of their own goal posts, and in which Henrik Lundqvist suffered the same meltdown as did his teammates.

This will be about the Rangers somehow tricking themselves that coming up here and taking a point can be regarded as a good thing. This will be about coach Tom Renney and the veteran voices in the room somehow providing a calming influence over the final 20 games of the season.

This will be about the Rangers avoiding panic the next time. This will be about separating the good from the bad. This will be about Jaromir Jagr building off a superior four-assist performance in the first 40 minutes rather than shouldering the load for a 12th consecutive scoreless game that ended with a miss on the final shootout attempt.

If they can and he can, that is.

This wasn't just two different games, the first 28:27 over which the Blueshirts had a 5-0 lead, the last 31:32 of regulation over which the Blueshirts were overwhelmed. This was two different universes. Up became down.

The Jagr-Mike Komisarek storyline was stillborn once Brandon Dubinsky and Sean Avery struck 14 seconds apart with the defenseman on the ice to give the Rangers a 2-0 lead at 9:04 of the first. When Brendan Shanahan scored a PPG at 13:56, Carey Price was driven from nets. And then when Shanahan and Chris Drury scored 28 seconds apart on both ends of a double minor assessed to raging bull Komisarek early in the second, the game was as good as done.

As if.

Before the game, Renney had suggested discomfort with using Jason Strudwick in place of Colton Orr (flu) on the right side of the fourth line with Blair Betts and Ryan Hollweg. Yet that was the unit against which the Canadiens scored twice midway through the second, not that it was on Strudwick.

And then in third, it couldn't have mattered less who was on the ice for the Blueshirts, for not a single line or defense pairing was able to cope with Montreal, which got two goals from Michael Ryder, one from Mark Streit and a pair of goals from the brilliant Alex Kovalev to send the thing into OT, and ultimately a shootout.

Which the Rangers lost - as they lost the game.

Don't let the point fool you. larry.brooks@nypost.com

sacre blue

it's so much fun to relive the game!

Guest KOIVU#11

words cannot describe the happiness I felt last night jumping up and down screaming jeering insults at the Rangers as the habs paraded around the ice. I will remember this game forever, thank you habs for giving me a story to tell my children.

Guest Come Back Patrick

Dang it!!!

I taped, or I thought I taped, Canadiens Express last night but when I tried watching it today, all I saw was blur. I hardly use my VCR anymore so I don't know why it didn't record but I must see this game again.

Does anyone know if RDS is planning on replaying it?

Archived