The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Olivier Latendresse

habfanforlife-85

Guest BadBrains

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/feat...b47&k=14931

Olivier, 21, actually came within a sniff of the NHL when he was one of the final cuts at the Coyotes' training camp in 2005, the same year Phoenix signed aging veterans Jeremy Roenick, Owen Nolan and Mike Ricci to free-agent contracts. Those veterans took up potential spots on the Coyotes' roster.

Coyotes assistant coach Barry Smith even told Olivier before an exhibition game that year that if he had a good night, he would make the team. Olivier went on to record a goal and an assist, but was still cut the next day.

Maybe the comfort of being closer to home will help his confidence and his play. Too soon to tell but it will be interesting to see what happens...

Guest QbGamer

Ok i read we signed this guy, which i find rather exciting, the only thing is did we sign him as a free agent, or did we make a trade for him?

I have yet to really hear anything about it other then we have scooped him up?

Guest rocksays6
Ok i read we signed this guy, which i find rather exciting, the only thing is did we sign him as a free agent, or did we make a trade for him?

I have yet to really hear anything about it other then we have scooped him up?

i wpuld like to know as well... the report says that oli signed a 3 yr contract in 2004 so I am hoping we just picked him up

Guest BadBrains

I do not have a link for this info, but Cincinnati sports radio has apparently said that Cory Urquhart was the player going the other way. Take this with a grain of salt until it is confirmed or debunked...

Guest CanadianMike

:unsure: oh NO not another Lats.

:P just kidding. I have seen him play and it is hard to know if he will ever be an NHL player (watched him play in summer leagues only, so hard to judge). Maybe it will spark his brother to play better though. That's a PLUS! ;) (see Kost brothers)

Guest habs fan #1
Daniel Ryder left his team...I think his hockey future is in doubt...perhaps the reason Micheal's been playing like this...worried about lil bro...

This is why he left:

His Brother michael said in an interview that he left because he was depressed with getting traded to the plymouth whalers in the middle of the campaign in 06-07 wher his points per game dropped significantly.

But he expect his brothers return to be soon. He also said that it would be great to play against him someday or even play as his brothers wing.

Guest 1970 Habs
As I understand it we still don't have him, he was just "loaned" to us.

True but the article does say that "The deal between the two teams will officially be announced at the end of the current season." Whatever that means?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Olivier has come out of nowhere in the playoffs in Cincinatti.

He is now tied for 2nd in playoff points with 6 goals and 13 assists (only 3 pts behind the leader and teammate David Desharnais) in 15 games.

He has 5 multipoint games in the playoffs and currently has 2 assists in the game tonight.

Olivier has come out of nowhere in the playoffs in Cincinatti.

He is now tied for 2nd in playoff points with 6 goals and 13 assists (only 3 pts behind the leader and teammate David Desharnais) in 15 games.

He has 5 multipoint games in the playoffs and currently has 2 assists in the game tonight.

The final game summary awarded him only 1 point tonight; but that is still 20 pts in 16 games.

• 3 weeks later...
What is the book on Olivier? What's he like as a player? NHL projections?

Not very good the last two years however he has excelled in the ECHL playoffs this year. I think if he can build on his success this year and play in Hamilton next year a better determination can be made. At best he is a defensive player (4th line player most likely).

Here is the latest:

2006-07: Made professional debut with the San Antonio Rampage of the AHL.Things didn't go well for pivot. Making a minimal impact, he was jettisoned off to the Roadrunners for the majority of the year.

2007-08: Loaned to the Canadiens and is playing for the ECHL Cincinnati Cyclones.

Talent Analysis

Olivier Latendresse's game progressed steadily over four seasons with the Val-d' Or Foreurs in the QMJHL. In each of those four seasons, he grew on many fronts. While improving his two-way play, Latendresse turned himself into a feisty centerman who's offensive game progressed because of the attention and focus defending his own end first.

The Quebec native is a solid skater and a good stickhandler. He has a great stride and skates with finesse. Standing at 5'10, he is not the biggest player but, he makes up for that with his skill and persistence. Latendresse doesn't take shifts off, he works very hard and is very reliable. He is a good two-way player who is positionally sound at both ends of the ice. He works hard down low and puts himself in position to create more scoring chances. On the opposite end of the ice, he attacks the rush and will break up an opposition cycle. He works hard at getting himself in between the net and the puck and will get physical.

Future

His transition is coming around a bit slower than anticipated and his stock has plummeted as a result of the that. It's not clear if his game is suited for the pros.

Source: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect/olivier_latendresse

The Quebec native is a solid skater and a good stickhandler. He has a great stride and skates with finesse. Standing at 5'10, he is not the biggest player but, he makes up for that with his skill and persistence. Latendresse doesn't take shifts off, he works very hard and is very reliable. He is a good two-way player who is positionally sound at both ends of the ice. He works hard down low and puts himself in position to create more scoring chances. On the opposite end of the ice, he attacks the rush and will break up an opposition cycle. He works hard at getting himself in between the net and the puck and will get physical.

Sounds like the complete opposite of his brother.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/253396.html

Could someone translate that for me, google translator doesn't work on my computer for some dumb reason.

Excuse my french as it is somewhat rusty but here goes:

"The season and hockey career of Olivier Latendresse took a new direction when on 18 February he was sent to the play for the Cincinatti Cyclones of the ECHL. His dream to play in the NHL once again became one of his priorities. After helping the Cyclones win the Stanley Cup of the ECHL, the Kelly Cup, the 22 year old player is preparing to attend/participate at the in the Montreal Canaden's training camp at the end of the summer.

He promises to do everything that Guy Carboneau and the other coaches require at training camp. Though he knows that it is rare that a player makes the jump from the ECHL to the NHL Olivier says he has as much a chance as any other (player) to surprise people. He added that people do not know that the ECHL offers a calibre of hockey very close to the AHL.

For the first time in six years he finds himself on the same team as his brother Guillaume. It talks about them both playing in the QMJHL. olivier in Val'd Or and Guillaume with Drummonville. He says to play hockey with his brother in Montreal he realizes is a young dream.

It talks about his time in the Phoenix Coyote organization, playing for the San Antonio Rampage (the Phoenix Coyote's AHL farm team) and subsequent demotion to the Central Hockey League. It was at that point he contacted his agent Pat Brison and asked him help to jump start his career. He basically says that he knew if he continued along the same path that his dream of playing in the NHL would disappear. He played a defensive system in Phoenix and it stifled his game.

In Cincinatti he was given the opportunity to play a more offensive game, something he was never given a chance to do in the Phoenix organization. With the Cyclones he played on the the two top lines and was used on the power play. In 22 playoff games he tallied 7 goals and 12 assists while in the 24 regular season games with Cincinatti before the playoffs he scored 7 goals and 28 assists.

That's about the gist of it. I hope it helps some Oatmeal. :D

Archived