The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Columbus @ Montreal | Feb. 23 2008 | Final: 3-0 Columbus

FlHabsFan

Carey's going to be getting the call, and he has a chance to really take a leg up on the starting job (The same chance Cristobal had last night).

Carey will have started 6 of the 9 games since his call up, and if he plays well tomorrow, we will be able to make it 7 of 10 because as long as he wins and plays well, he's going to keep starting.

Guest habs_fan1160

Oh man that Pascal is one homely guy lol.

Anyway, can't wait for this game, but I think I may be more excited about the Gainey jersey retirement than the actual game. Glad they decided to have the CBJ game fall on the 23rd, and on Gainey's retirement night, because most CBJ games are like watching paint dry. At least this gives something to the evening.

But regardless, GO HABS GO, here's hoping for a big win.

Guest HabsFanStuckInToronto!

The Habs are going to be ready this time. They know they didn't perform the best in the early parts of yesterday's game and they are going to want to play a complete game.

There will not be a better night for it. Bob Gainey gets his due as one of the Canadien's greatest players and the building is going to be electric.

Columbus is going to play and extremely patient game and the Habs are also going to be focused on defense. Don't expect a high scoring game and don't expect a really exciting one.

But anytime the Habs win, I am excited! And they are going to win!

GO HABS GO!!

Guest WindsorHab#10
win won for Gainey boysGO HABS GO!
If the ceremony honoring Gainey doesn't inspire the team to really beat the crap out of Columbus then we're in for a long night. 60 solid minutes Boys. You Owe it to the BOSS.
We beat a team like this easily , 5-2 final, you read it here first.
Aren't you the one that predicted the same score against the Penguins?

Guest Ricochet

Too young to have the privilege of watching him play, congratulations on the honors Bob.

One thing that kind of sells me short on Price, I think he's too calm. I'd like to see some emotion from him within the next couple of games so I know he is hungry. I appreciate his poise while the play is running, but I'd like to see him break a stick or get in a player's face or something afterward so I know he knows he belongs here. You have to have passion if you are going to be the goalie that takes us up to, or even into the playoffs. I never had to ask myself if Roy was hungry.

Your team needs to know they let you down and your opponents need to know you aren't just a mobile cutout. I'm not saying he doesn't have it, I'm just saying I want him to make it obvious to me for my own selfish peace of mind.

I'm looking for Ryder to keep it going and continue to put shots on the net. Don't move him to a different line just yet, Lapierre's line is doing good things right now and moving Ryder would bring down Lapierre's performance.

I want to see some fire from Higgins. He was getting roughed up last game and wasn't doing much in the way of retaliation. If you are just going to skate away when someone is riding you, they are going to keep doing it. Other than that, get some shots on net Higgins.

I don't want to see Koivu skating away from a single puck. I want him chasing it from end to end if necessary. On a special night, it is the captain's job to make sure his team knows losing is unacceptable and history will remember that the Canadiens lost on the night Gainey's jersey was retired. As captain you have to be aware of that and do everything in your power to prevent it.

I'm hoping Begin will be back in the lineup and hasn't lost any intensity in his time off.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, or maybe it's just me, but Serhei seems to have become reluctant to shoot the puck. I think he sees himself as a playmaker on Koivu's line and has the idea that it is his responsibility to help the other two score. It isn't. Higgins or Koivu can turn a rebound into a goal. With Higgins missing the net there is nothing for Koivu and with Higgins in front of the net, Koivu is often in the corner or behind the net. That means you have to throw some shots on target, make it happen.

I'm expecting a more defensive effort from the Habs, but I can't see Price being stellar his first game back. This should be an easier appearance than the Rangers game, but I'm expecting 2 to sneak past him.

I'm expecting 2 from Kovy's line. I have no doubt Columbus is aware of our plays, but they don't have as much experience dealing with them or the variations, so we should be able to produce a couple here. Koivu's line doesn't have to net one this game, but I expect them to. I have faith Lapierre's line will grind one in with Ryder's confidence high and Lapierre showing intensity in his game. Any combination of these lines could net one on the powerplay instead, but I think the refs are trying to get into playoff hockey mode and becoming reluctant to call some of the lesser penalties. Leclaire is an X-factor. His one showing against us isn't impressive, but he has the potential to steal this game. I don't doubt we will outplay Columbus, but that won't matter if Leclaire turns some tricks.

I expect a win, but more importantly, I expect a solid effort.

Canadiens - 4 Columbus - 2. (Potential for an empty netter for a 5th)

P.S. I know predictions are a fool's game. I just thought it was fun to go out on a limb. Thanks for the welcomes in the last gameday thread as well everyone. I don't watch the games from home, so I'm not on during the game, but I'll be sure to check in when it's over. GO HABS GO!

EDIT : Forgot to mention, with the trade deadline in 3 days, Gainey can threaten to trade anyone who dares to lose this game on his night. Do it Bob!

Carey's going to be getting the call, and he has a chance to really take a leg up on the starting job (The same chance Cristobal had last night).

Carey will have started 6 of the 9 games since his call up, and if he plays well tomorrow, we will be able to make it 7 of 10 because as long as he wins and plays well, he's going to keep starting.

we are waiting for one of them to run with it here but they keep dropping the ball....

Guest habsman6

I dont think the habs played a bad game on thursday just that turn over by komi sent malkin flying to score a goal then the pens had a powerplay and scored wich made the final 5-4 pens just werent lucky on thursday but I think they will kill the blue jakets!!! ;)

Hope he has a good game...but I also hope Huet gets another chance to prove himself. Our D was really lacking against the Pens.
Huet will get back in there if Carey looses, if not..............
I dont think the habs played a bad game on thursday just that turn over by komi sent malkin flying to score a goal then the pens had a powerplay and scored wich made the final 5-4 pens just werent lucky on thursday but I think they will kill the blue jakets!!! ;)
the Guys played terrible lastnight

Guest HabsFanStuckInToronto!

The X-Factor:

Pascal Leclaire: Absolutely has the ability to steal any game as shown numerous times this season. Montreal is going to have to work hard to create high quality scoring chances and burry the few that you get!

Price is going to have to be extremely sharp too because this will probably be a low scoring, one goal game. I feel that Price knows this is his chance to show his last game was just a quick low and he has the ability to jump back and get some more consecutive starts.

GO PRICE GO! GO HABS GO! YOU WILL WIN!

Archived