The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Player Numbers

westernleafsfan

Guest Vince87

If something like this already exists then feel free to delet this thread, I checked first but didn't find anything, so I hope it's alright ;)

Many of our young players that come up are given a random number that sometimes isn't the prettiest one. Plekanec changed his former 35 to 14 this summer as 14 became available after Bonk left, but Ryder stayed with 73. Our most recent young players, all wearing high numbers, are (in alphabetical order):

Mikhail Grabovski: 54

Andrei Kostitsyn: 46

Sergei Kostitsyn: 74

Maxim Lapierre: 40

Guillaume Latendresse: 84

Now feel free to suggest whatever number you'd like to see on those players back IF you'd like to change it at all... Giving a reason is not really necessary since this is very subjective ;) (Try not to use retired numbers of course)

IMHO except Lapierres number 40 those aren't very pretty numbers and I'd like to see those guys wearing lower numbers someday...

My choices would be:

Mikhail Grabovski: 13

Andrei Kostitsyn: 17

Sergei Kostitsyn: 15

Maxim Lapierre: 40 (I like 40 ;) )

Guillaume Latendresse: 24

Latendresse should wear 48, number 84 is so ugly on a jersey no wonder no one ever took it.

Sergie Kostitsyn should either be 47 or 64

Grabovski should go back to 59

Chipchura should wear 17 like he does in Hamilton.

And Carey Price should wear 33 just to bug everyone. I know I would. Patrick Roy bailed on this team because he grew too big an ego, his number should never be retired.

Guest P.Royfan
If something like this already exists then feel free to delet this thread, I checked first but didn't find anything, so I hope it's alright ;)

Many of our young players that come up are given a random number that sometimes isn't the prettiest one. Plekanec changed his former 35 to 14 this summer as 14 became available after Bonk left, but Ryder stayed with 73. Our most recent young players, all wearing high numbers, are (in alphabetical order):

Now feel free to suggest whatever number you'd like to see on those players back IF you'd like to change it at all... Giving a reason is not really necessary since this is very subjective ;) (Try not to use retired numbers of course)

IMHO except Lapierres number 40 those aren't very pretty numbers and I'd like to see those guys wearing lower numbers someday...

My choices would be:

Mikhail Grabovski: 13

Andrei Kostitsyn: 17

Sergei Kostitsyn: 15

Maxim Lapierre: 40 (I like 40 ;) )

Guillaume Latendresse: 24

The only one I don't like is 54 I'd just flip the numbers around 45 for Grabovski. I like 46 and 74. 40 is ok but I love 84 cause Lats is the only player to wear the number 84

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
Latendresse should wear 48, number 84 is so ugly on a jersey no wonder no one ever took it.

Sergie Kostitsyn should either be 47 or 64

Grabovski should go back to 59

Chipchura should wear 17 like he does in Hamilton.

And Carey Price should wear 33 just to bug everyone. I know I would. Patrick Roy bailed on this team because he grew too big an ego, his number should never be retired.

That statement has no truth whatsoever. The only guy with the huge ego was Tremblay.

Guest Greek Hab

Does anyone else, besides myself, think the #17 should be retired, in honour of Guy Lapointe?

Why retire only 2 of the 3, BIG THREE of the 70's? :huh:

And with the numbers, they may be ugly to some, but we have to live with it. Who cares what number a player gets...as long as the CH on the front is shining bright in plain view, it's fine by me.

Guest Miltie01
Does anyone else, besides myself, think the #17 should be retired, in honour of Guy Lapointe?

And with the numbers, they may be ugly to some, but we have to live with it. Who cares what number a player gets...as long as the CH on the front is shining bright in plain view, it's fine by me.

Pointu wore #5 for most of his career if I'm not mistaken......

He was my favourite player as a kid, so I would love to see his name up there too.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach

Guy Lapointe's number was retired, he wore number 5.

Guest Vince87

oh yeah, but since we definitely won't change the CH and I just happen to like numbers I thought it was a fun thing to think about... I mean, if I had the opportunity to play for the Habs I would not care which number I'd have to wear but if they'd ask me which one... it'd still be tough because my favorite is retired :D you know were I was going though, right? ;)

EDIT: ...and once I'm at it, it'd probably choose 13 since I wear 19 normally but it's retired and 13 just looks almost like it ;)

Guest Ricochet
Patrick Roy bailed on this team because he grew too big an ego, his number should never be retired.

From Wikipedia :

On December 2, 1995 Montreal's head coach Mario Tremblay elected to keep Roy in the goal until he let in 9 goals on 26 shots during an 11-1 loss to the Detroit Red Wings[2]. This was the last straw for Roy in what was already a contentious relationship with the rookie head coach. The two had almost come to blows in a Long Island coffee shop before Tremblay was announced as a coach and his first appearance in the dressing room was greeted with snickers from Roy. They almost fought a second time after Tremblay fired a shot at Roy's throat during practice.

When Roy was replaced midway through the second period, as he was storming off the ice, Roy could be seen on-camera[4] telling Habs team President Ronald Corey that this was the last game he would ever play for Montreal, later elaborating by saying that he would not play for Montreal as long as Tremblay was coach. Three days after the incident, he was traded to Colorado along with Montreal captain Mike Keane in exchange for Jocelyn Thibault, Martin Rucinsky, and Andrei Kovalenko, which is known in Montreal as "Le Trade."[5] Roy's relationship with the Canadiens remains strained to this day. However, the Canadiens have not issued Roy's old #33 jersey since he left the team.

That statement has no truth whatsoever. The only guy with the huge ego was Tremblay.

Almost correct, he did have a large ego, you could debate that it was too big. You have to admit that it gave him an edge. He fought to live up to his own view of himself and didn't take failure lightly.

33 Is off the market and will be retired someday. Roy is part of the mythology and history of this team and was instrumental, if not directly responsible for, our only two cups in the last 25+ years. (Conn Smythe both years)

1 - 2 - 4 - 5 - 7 - 9 - 10 - 12 - 16 - 18 - 19 - 23 - 29 are all retired. 99 is retired League wide

I had a bit of trouble recognizing a few players earlier in the year. Sometimes you only get to see half of the jersey number before you follow the puck and with the numbers 44, 40, 46, 54, 74, 84 popping in and out, I had to look closely to make sure I saw the number right and then I had to think for a second when I figured out the number to remember which player it was. It's easier late in the year and being familiar with them, but now I'll have to do a double take on Grabs and Lats, 54 and 84 are pretty similar when the camera is sweeping around.

I do think A. Kostitsyn in a 47 would be catchy and may make him more marketable (AK-47). It would also look more appealing if he is on his brother's line having the 74 paired with the 47. Come to think of it, I might just have a problem with 6's on jerseys. I'm not a fan of Gorges' 26 and I think Kostopolous should have double digits. I'm fine with D men and Goalies having single digits, but it just seems odd on a forward to me for some reason.

i hate kostopoulos's number 7.
- Typo or you meant to say 6, unless it switched for some reason.

Guest Greek Hab
Guy Lapointe's number was retired, he wore number 5.

Lol, then who worse #17? :lol: Someone who contributed to this team worse the number #17, but his name isn't come to mind right now.

i hate kostopoulos's number 7. think it doesn't suit him well at all. grabovski's number 54 isnt a cool number either.

Kostopoulos is wearing #6...So you can stoping hating the number 7 now. :D

Lol, then who worse #17? :lol: Someone who contributed to this team worse the number #17, but his name isn't come to mind right now.

Kostopoulos is wearing #6...So you can stoping hating the number 7 now. :D

Murray Wilson wore #17

Retired numbers

Guest d80jcrant

I like all their numbers except Grabovski's, His has to go

Guest Vince87
I like all their numbers except Grabovski's, His has to go

Don't you think that 46 just looks kind of boring and 74 is just... ugly? I mean, I totally agree that Grabs needs to get a better number but c'mon... the brothers deserve better than this too ;)

Archived