The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal @ Buffalo | Feb. 29 2008 | Final: 6-2 Habs

RicochetII

Guest Ricochet
montrealbostonscoreboarni6.png

Montreal will be looking to even the season's series against the Sabres Friday night. The Habs took the first two games of the series, only to see the Sabres take the next three straight, including a home and home series in late November that marks the last time these two clubs met.

Starting Goaltenders :

pricevsmillercopyhg2.png

Higgins notched 2 goals and 1 assist against the Thrashers, Markov added a goal and an assist. Captain Koivu and Bouillon both collected a pair of assists, while S. Kostitsyn and Lapierre contributed a goal a piece. Gorges collected 1 assist and was also a +3 on the night.

This was Grabovski's first game back with the club since earlier this season. He logged 12:31 in ice time, went +1 and was 5 and 9 in the faceoff circle (36%). It was also Price's first start since Huet was traded to Washington. He allowed one goal on 27 shots, making 26 saves for the win and rebounding from a 3-0 loss on Saturday to Columbus.

Buffalo is coming off an impressive showing against Nashville, preying on the Predators for 8 goals on the way to an 8-4 victory at home Wednesday. Trade deadline acquisition Steve Bernier scored on his first two shots as a Sabre, ending a 12 game drought and also notched an assist.

Ryan Miller sustained a shot to the mask that knocked part of the wire cage into his nose. Backup Jocelyn Thibault replaced him for about 8 minutes while Miller was treated in the dressing room. Miller would return to find Buffalo's 3 goal lead cut to just 1 goal and would only allow one more goal on the night.

Peters, Pominville, Paille, Connolly, Kotalik and Roy also scored for the Sabres. Kotalik contributed 2 assists as well for 3 points on the night and defenseman Toni Lydman collected 4 assists. Roy was a +4 and Center Paul Gaustad was 75% on faceoffs (9 and 3).

I hope noone minds a newbie doing the gameday thread. I checked to see if anyone was scheduled for it first. If I made an error, feel free to inform me and correct it. All information was gathered from NHL.com and the Canadiens and Sabres home sites.

Guest RussianRifle: AK-27

We always seem to lay eggs in Buffalo. I don't know what it is about that arena, especially on friday nights, that makes it so tough for the boys to get up for the game but it is something that has to change.

Guest habsrule4eva3089

hopefully senators lose tonight so we can finally become first place tomorow night. Heard Saku and them and everyone was saying that we can't get into a shootout vs these guys and it's true. Hopefully a good defensive game and we dno't take many penalties and we should take this one...on va voir

Guest 77Bourque77

very nice GT, fancy fancy lol. like how the top is like a score board.anyways, i wont be able to watch the game :( i will be in blue mountian. hope the boys can slay the sabers because they are looking pretty hot right now. we will need out D and price to step up big time for this game, not only do we have to worry about vanek,roy,afiniganov(sp) but berneir(sp) looked really good in their last game. just hopping to come out with 2 points!!!

!!GOHABSGO!!

Guest Habsgirl3823

A game that I finally get to watch! Being in the Buffalo region is good for something, I suppose :P I tried to get tickets to the game, but they all got out of my price range... but when the Habs return on March 28th, I'll hopefully be in the stands.

GO HABS, GO!

Guest King-Carey-31

hey habsgirl, if you find tickets that are reasonable for the march 28th game, let me know, I would love to go see the habs play. and im only about 10 mins away! :)

WE NEED THIS ONE BOYS GO HABS GO!

Guest youppipwns

Guy Carbonneau will keeo the same formation as Tuesday. Patrice Brisebois, Mathieu Dandenault, Bryan Smolinski and Tom Kostopoulos will be scratched.

Thomas Vanek started again his season these last weeks. The attacker of the Sabers marked 14 goals and collected 11 assists in 20 matches.

The Sabers count three wounded, the attackers Maxim Afinogenov (groin), Drew Stafford (ankle) and Jochen Hecht (groin). It is possible that Afinogenov and Stafford face the Canadiens. Afinogenov did not play since January 1 while Stafford missed the last 10 matches by the Sabres.

Source

Guest Ricochet

Thanks Bourque!

From the looks of it, we are going to need to mount a solid offense. Hopefully it won't be a problem with everyone's head in the game. Puck control is going to be important as well as forcing turnovers because our D is going to be busy. Buffalo looks like a better face off team and they will be pumped for offense after an 8 goal performance. Price might have to stand on his head this game.

Hard on the forecheck and the lose pucks and let's keep the play in their zone as much as possible.

The penalty kill of both teams scares me. Buffalo's because it's good, ours because it's bad. Let's stay out of the box.

Koivu, just keep your stick on the ice at all times. I know they aren't all your fault, but it isn't hard to convince the ref to blow the whistle if your stick is at waist height, so play it safe. Kovalev is likely going to get mauled all game (as usual) so let's hope the refs have their eyes open.

I'm worried this game might wear us down for NJ tomorrow, but I hope the team isn't thinking of New Jersey at all.

The lines might be interesting, Lapierre and Ryder were sparking, but with Higgins' performance, there's a temptation to put the old line back together. That means Lapierre is likely 4th line and we'll be trying Grabs out with S. Kostitsyn.

I'd like to see Streit playing forward early this game. It'll make it a lot easier on Price if we open up an early lead, which we haven't been doing lately. Miller isn't going to do us any favors if we fall behind.

Should be a good game, let's hope it's better for us than it is for them.

Guy Carbonneau will keeo the same formation as Tuesday. Patrice Brisebois, Mathieu Dandenault, Bryan Smolinski and Tom Kostopoulos will be scratched.

Good news!

Thomas Vanek started again his season these last weeks. The attacker of the Sabers marked 14 goals and collected 11 assists in 20 matches.

Bad News. Sic'em Komi!

Guest King-Carey-31

We need to get off to a good start here, the boards don't have alot of jump like at home and according to my sources (Hardcore Sports Radio) The ice in buffalo sucks

Also on Hardcore Hockey Talk on The Score Steve Kouleas said that the best 4 goalies in the East are Brodeur, Lundqvist, Miller and CAREY PRICE! let's hope he is right and these two put on a show! (until miller has a few miller's in the second intermission.)

Guest habsrule4eva3089

someone tell me how boston manages to beat the penquins yet we make it look hard. i mean 9 out of 10 times we'll blow boston out of the rink, they just stink , but i can't figure this out. how do they WIN...their team IS JUST SO SAD.

Guest King-Carey-31
someone tell me how boston manages to beat the penquins yet we make it look hard. i mean 9 out of 10 times we'll blow boston out of the rink, they just stink , but i can't figure this out. how do they WIN...their team IS JUST SO SAD.

Just goes to show that it's any given night. and it helps that the bruins don't have a quebecois netminder.

Guest Habsgirl3823
hey habsgirl, if you find tickets that are reasonable for the march 28th game, let me know, I would love to go see the habs play. and im only about 10 mins away! :)

WE NEED THIS ONE BOYS GO HABS GO!

Really?! Where are you?

Guest Habsgirl3823
Near Niagara Falls Canada, 10-20 minute drive from the HSBC arena.

I've been there many, many times. It's what we did when I was only 19 and wanted to go out :P

Guest Habsgirl3823

Ohh boy. It's a fun time. We made the mistake of going out on Clifton Hill though. Super expensive. Oh well. I'm 21 now, and don't have to worry about that anymore.

If I can find a deal on tickets, I'll surely let you know!

Guest HabsFanStuckInToronto!

Positive: OTTAWA LOST!

Negative: Boston and the Rangers won shrinking the lead to 3 points. Rangers have played one more game, the Bruins one less game than us.

Meaning: If we want to guarantee we stay at our spot in the standings through the weekend, we have to win tomorrow!

Friday is our chance to beat Buffalo and the Saturday is going to be a very difficult game.

Let's beat Buffalo! Price is going to be great!

GO HABS GO!

Guest blankoninyo

I'll be at this game, going with 2 other habs fans...we will represent habs nation well. Hopefully montreal can do what they havnt done too much this year, and thats win in buffalo on a friday. lol. 4th row behind penalty box :D

GO HABS GO

Archived