The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

New Jersey @ Montreal | Mar. 1 2008 | Final: 2-1 Habs

Habs-101

Guest Habs_101

Im sorry to whoever it was that was suppose to make this thread, but by noon on game day I really like to chat and see what other habs fans have to say about Les Boys before the game! So I decided to try to make my first gameday thread and see how it goes. Really I'd just like to hear what everyone think about tonights game! Broduer! :(

Having already moved into first place in the Northeast Division, the Montreal Canadiens are only one win away from taking over the top spot in the Eastern Conference.

The Canadiens look to ride the strong goaltending of rookie Carey Price to a third straight victory Saturday night when they host nemesis Martin Brodeur and the New Jersey Devils.

Montreal (35-21-9) moved one point ahead of idle Ottawa into first place in the Northeast with a 6-2 victory Friday at Buffalo.

Tomas Plekanec scored three power-play goals for his first career hat trick, and Price stopped 31 shots as the Canadiens won for the sixth time in eight games.

"It was one of those nights when you got the puck in the offensive zone, it ended up in the net," Plekanec said. "The power play is really big for us right now."

Mark Streit had a goal and two assists, and Alex Kovalev set up four goals for Montreal, which tied idle Pittsburgh for second in the East, one point behind New Jersey.

The hotly-contested top spot in the Eastern Conference is once again up for grabs when Zach Parise and the New Jersey Devils visit Carey Price and the Montreal Canadiens on Saturday evening. (AP Photo/Bill Kostroun)

Since they were shut out 3-0 by Columbus' Pascal Leclaire last Saturday, the Canadiens have scored 11 goals in wins over Atlanta and Buffalo. Montreal has registered at least four goals in five of its past six games.

Plekanec matched a career high with four points after recording only one in his previous seven games. The third-year center has already set personal bests with 24 goals, 34 assists and 58 points.

Kovalev, the team leader with 67 points, had his first four-point game since Feb. 8, 2003, with Pittsburgh.

Price has been outstanding in two starts since Montreal traded Cristobal Huet to Washington, paving the way for the 20-year-old rookie to become the team's No. 1 goalie. Price has stopped 57 of 60 shots in those two games.

"He's playing solid," Canadiens coach Guy Carbonneau said. "Not that I see a big difference, but you can see he's more calm and really poised in the net."

New Jersey suffered its first regulation loss in 10 games Friday, falling 4-0 to visiting Washington.

The Devils, who own a one-point lead over Pittsburgh in the Atlantic, have followed a five-game win streak with back-to-back losses (0-1-1). They hadn't lost in regulation since a 2-1 defeat to Anaheim on Feb. 8.

"The last couple of games we haven't played 60 minutes, even though we snuck some points out," forward Brian Gionta said. "Tonight it caught up to us."

Brodeur, who stopped 25 shots in his 23rd consecutive start Friday, isn't likely to get a night off against the Canadiens, a team he has dominated lately.

The Devils had won nine straight against the Canadiens before Montreal scored three third-period goals in a 4-3 victory at New Jersey on Jan. 24. New Jersey has won four straight at Montreal since a 3-2 loss on March 20, 2004.

Brodeur, a Montreal native, is 9-1-0 with a 1.99 goals-against average in his last 10 starts against his hometown team. He had won nine in a row versus the Canadiens before the Jan. 24 loss.

Brodeur is 34-13-0 with five ties, a 1.75 GAA and eight shutouts in 52 starts against Montreal.

Devils leading scorer Zach Parise has five goals in his last five games against Montreal, including a hat trick in a 4-0 win on Nov. 30.

These teams have split two games this season - both in New Jersey.

Guest HabsFanStuckInToronto!

CAREY PRICE GETS THE CALL IN NET AGAIN! A well deserved start after his performane in the last two games. In all seriousness, he has let in 2 goals because one goal was one of the weirdest bounces I have seen.

What a huge battle tonight at the Bell Centre! The place is going to be electric and definately a playoff atmosphere. The Habs know that they can never give up against New Jersey because anything can happen. A full game effort is a must.

If we can focus on defense, we are going to shut down the Jersey offense. They have scored 3 goals in their last 3 games and nothing on their offense is in good condition. If we play solid defense, our chances will come and we have to beat Marty Brodeur. Persistance paid off last time as we got 4 goals against him, so I want shots going to the net from all angles and passes like yesterday's game.

GO HABS GO! GO PRICE GO! GO HABS GO!

PS. Who else is up in arms about today's Ottawa vs Pittsburgh match. One side of me wants 1st in the east, the other side of me wants as much space between Ottawa and us.

Guest 1970 Habs
CAREY PRICE GETS THE CALL IN NET AGAIN! A well deserved start after his performane in the last two games. In all seriousness, he has let in 2 goals because one goal was one of the weirdest bounces I have seen.

What a huge battle tonight at the Bell Centre! The place is going to be electric and definately a playoff atmosphere. The Habs know that they can never give up against New Jersey because anything can happen. A full game effort is a must.

If we can focus on defense, we are going to shut down the Jersey offense. They have scored 3 goals in their last 3 games and nothing on their offense is in good condition. If we play solid defense, our chances will come and we have to beat Marty Brodeur. Persistance paid off last time as we got 4 goals against him, so I want shots going to the net from all angles and passes like yesterday's game.

GO HABS GO! GO PRICE GO! GO HABS GO!

PS. Who else is up in arms about today's Ottawa vs Pittsburgh match. One side of me wants 1st in the east, the other side of me wants as much space between Ottawa and us.

Too bad Jaroslav but Price needs to play as much as possible if he is going to carry the team into the playoffs.

Guest chromedome
Too bad Jaroslav but Price needs to play as much as possible if he is going to carry the team into the playoffs.

And then,unfortunately,when he get's his next attack of "on-his-knees-itis"or,get hurt,Jaro will likely be rusty, but I guess ,who cares ?As long as the "phenom" gets all the special attention he should get as the "second "coming"!!!After all HE must be show-cased!

Jaro,you may as well continue to just bide your time until this crazy season is over with and then run as fast as you can .Speed will be important too since Danis will also be running at breaknet speed to escape from there!

Guest concreteveins

This is a must win for the Habs. Lets not hope the Ottawa game goes to three points.

There needs to be more space between Ottawa and Montreal. Lets see the Habs take top spot and then have Ottawa catch up to them.

Should be a dandy.

Guest emma4903

i'm pumped. trying to get all my homework done so that i can watch the game...if not i'm totally doing homework while watching rds. i think price deserve some of the attention he's getting, he has been playing well the past few games.

p.s. congrats to pleks for his hat trick last night

Guest koivu_the_great

I really want Pitts to win tonight too! I know it would mean being tied for first, and technically still in second in the east because of the Wins category...but i want space between Ottawa and us.

Guest olddude

Once the Habs win, I want Ottawa to win. I think they are on a down slide and Pittsburg is going to win more games than they will, we need the space between us and Pittsburg IMO.

GO HABS GO

Guest d80jcrant
Once the Habs win, I want Ottawa to win. I think they are on a down slide and Pittsburg is going to win more games than they will, we need the space between us and Pittsburg IMO.

GO HABS GO

I want the Pens to lose

Halak will start next saturday in LA I'm sure.

It would be an idea to start him against Phoenix - if he does well give him LA too. Subsequent starts would be good for his morale and game conditioning

I think sticking with Price tonight is the right play. Managenent has already rolled the dice on him. Now is hardly the time to back off.

Guest fansince1975

BIG GAME. Devils have the lead in the East with 80 points. Montreal has the lead in their division with 79 points. Montreal wins and we are first in the EAST.

I actually don't care who wins between the Pens and Sens. If Montreal wins they are both behind us. Montreal will therefore have to win the game today! Seems simple to me.

I like the odds of Montreal finishing first in division or conference. Final 12 games for Montreal 8 games are at home.

Put enough pucks at Brodeur, screen him, great passes on PP, and play a full 60 minutes. Montreal 4 and New Jersey 1.

Guest Clammy

If the boys come out strong right off the bat, like they did last night, and play a full 60 minutes, I have every confidence they will win this game.

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

Guest cassandra
BIG GAME. Devils have the lead in the East with 80 points. Montreal has the lead in their division with 79 points. Montreal wins and we are first in the EAST.

I actually don't care who wins between the Pens and Sens. If Montreal wins they are both behind us. Montreal will therefore have to win the game today! Seems simple to me.

I like the odds of Montreal finishing first in division or conference. Final 12 games for Montreal 8 games are at home.

Put enough pucks at Brodeur, screen him, great passes on PP, and play a full 60 minutes. Montreal 4 and New Jersey 1.

Pittsburgh has the same amount of points as us currently, but one more win... so we need to win our game first of all, and then I think between Ottawa and Pittsburgh, it would be better off for us if Ottawa wins. We would then still be 1 point ahead of Ottawa and 2 ahead of the Pens.

GO HABS GO!

Guest CanadianMike

CanadianMike takes his 3-1-1 record to the bell centre tonight.

woot woot

let's go boys Habs all the way!!!!!

Just win the game and take the #1 spot. I want lots of Habs goals tonight, but it won't be easy (Devils got shutout last night ;) )

Guest youppipwns

You guys really dont wanna cheer for pittsburgh tonight. If they win and we win well stay in 2nd place. if ottawa wins and we win well be come 1st place

Archived