The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

What Are The Major Contributors To The Habs' Success?

jl-1

84 members have voted

1. 1. What in your opinion are the most important factors in the teams' current success?

• Mark Streit's performance
    • Our goaltending
    • The signing of Roman Hamrlik
    • Guy Carbonneau's improvements
    • The power-play
    • Alex Kovalev
    • Tomas Plekanec
    • The young guns
    • The team chemistry
    • Relatively injury free season
    • Other (please specify)

There are several factors contributing to our team's success this season but if you had to narrow it down to the most important factors, in comparison to last season, what would you say are the major contributors to the turnaround?

Guest overlords
two words: bob gainey

i don't see how gainey can be given full credit for this season. I'd say carbo, kovalev and the PP are way ahead of him.

Guest mateus
i don't see how gainey can be given full credit for this season. I'd say carbo, kovalev and the PP are way ahead of him.

considering since his return the habs have been nothing but improving.

considering his decisions and vision for this club.

considering how much we want his head when he and i quote "cant get (insert superstar name here)" when in fact the right move is to stick with the plan.

he is the reason this season is such a success. hes that brain, that center that takes everything around him and makes it better.

this season is surprising to us all yes, but this is BG's plan, BG's team and ill be damned if he isnt figuretively(sp?) the first to lift lord stanley's silverware when its makes its 25th lap around canadiens ice.

Guest otherdemon

I voted power-play and team chemistry.

The power play option speaks for itself (1st in the NHL),

but the team chemistry is more unique.

A nice mix of young hungry players and older guys with

experience. And our offense. We are the only team in

the NHL that has 7 players with 40 points or more:

AK27, Pleks, Markov, Koivu, Streit, AK46 and Higgy.

And I feel like we for the first time in years have a roster

of players with complimentary skills.

Guest RockMtl

Nice POST JL !!!

I think you'll find many saying 'ALL of the ABOVE', because it's true. And it's TRULY a combination of them all that has brought us success. We've had several seperate mentioned points in the past, but it's been along time since I've seen them gel together as they are this year. Right about now, our HABS are using all the elements and I think finally our team really thinks - they can beat anybody - and NOT in a cocky way!!

Guest Larry Robinson

To me the biggest difference this year is without a doubt is the play of Alex Kovalev,without him playing this way this year we might have been a little different team,not to say that the Habs still would not be in the playoffs but he seems to be on a mission this year plus our young guns grew a lot in only one year.I truly believe that Kovalev wants to win his next Stanley Cup in Montreal. :D

Guest overlords
considering since his return the habs have been nothing but improving.

considering his decisions and vision for this club.

considering how much we want his head when he and i quote "cant get (insert superstar name here)" when in fact the right move is to stick with the plan.

he is the reason this season is such a success. hes that brain, that center that takes everything around him and makes it better.

this season is surprising to us all yes, but this is BG's plan, BG's team and ill be damned if he isnt figuretively(sp?) the first to lift lord stanley's silverware when its makes its 25th lap around canadiens ice.

i'll be damned if it isn't koivu who's stuck by this team through much worse years than gainey was ever here for.

I happen to think that every point mentioned in the poll explains the success of the team, but there is one factor, one common denominator to just about each point that comes to mind... but first, my analysis. :)

The Flu and injuries are making a huge difference, no doubt.

Our PP was first overall last year with major production from Ryder and Souray. Souray is gone, Ryder isn't the shadow of his old self and yet, we're still first.

Streit is Streit and he was as versatile last year, although he has more points this season.

Komisarek and Markov are the same, our best defensemen and the addition of Hamrlik added some much needed experience at the blue line. Josh Gorges' development combined with a better season from Francis Bouillon, Ryan O'Byrne recent play and the addition of Patrice Brisebois (depth and experience) all contributed to making our defense much better.

Our young guns' development started last year when they took it upon themselves to bring the team back into the playoffs' race and the addition of Carey Price should also be noted as a positive, pushing Huet to perform and ultimately taking over the starter's role.

Carbonneau's system is the same, although he has gained experience and adapts better to games situations.

But the turning point is the discussion this summer between Carbonneau, Gainey and Kovalev. I don't know what was said but Alex Kovalev is not the same player. He plays within the system, he back checks in the defensive zone, he plays with nagging injuries, he has taken on the role of leader on the team and has taken the young players from the former USSR under his wing. A motivated Kovalev is directly related to the fact that:

• our PP is going on all cylinders without the production of Souray and Ryder
  • Streit is having the season he's having, especially on the PP
  • young guys like Plekanec and the Kostitsyn brothers play good hockey and develop well
  • our 5 on 5 play (the dreaded +/-) is much improved over last season
  • and mostly, the team chemistry is excellent as he's not pouting. Quite the opposite, he's part of the solution instead of being part of the problem.

For that reason, I voted Kovalev, the goalies, Hammer, Carbo and injury free season, and had I had to vote for one only, Kovalev would have gotten my vote. So as you can all see, as critical as I was with Kovalev last year, it was directly and only related with what he did then, and I can certainly acknowledge when things are different.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach

All of the above is the easy choice. However, I chose Alex Kovalev.

I mean, let's think about it, without Kovy our powerplay is useless.

Pleks would not be finding the back of the net without the playmaking abilities of Kovy as well as the pressure he commands from teams leaving Pleks and Kosti open.

The young guns? I'm guessing are the Kosti bros with Lats and Laps. Again, without Kovy's influence, these kids would not be where they are today.

Team chemistry, it all stems from Kovy's effort. I mean, how can you not have team chemistry when one of your oldest players is out there giving 110% game in and game out and even playing injured as he has been as of late. Easy to have team chemistry when you're winning and when you're losing, as they have done at times, it was Kovy that stepped it up and led the team back to victory.

Mark Streit, great utility player, but again, his success has stemmed from the power play and guess who is on that powerplay. Yep you guessed it, Kovy, setting him up with perfect passes for one timers.

Guy Carbonneau, kind of easy to look like a hero when he has a veteran busting his butt out there and setting a fine example for the youngsters. Who is that veteran? Yep, right again, it's Alex.

I know I'm giving alot of praise to Kovy, but in my humble opinion, he deserves all the praise and all the accolades for the success of this team this year.

Guest overlords
All of the above is the easy choice. However, I chose Alex Kovalev.

I mean, let's think about it, without Kovy our powerplay is useless.

Pleks would not be finding the back of the net without the playmaking abilities of Kovy as well as the pressure he commands from teams leaving Pleks and Kosti open.

The young guns? I'm guessing are the Kosti bros with Lats and Laps. Again, without Kovy's influence, these kids would not be where they are today.

Team chemistry, it all stems from Kovy's effort. I mean, how can you not have team chemistry when one of your oldest players is out there giving 110% game in and game out and even playing injured as he has been as of late. Easy to have team chemistry when you're winning and when you're losing, as they have done at times, it was Kovy that stepped it up and led the team back to victory.

Mark Streit, great utility player, but again, his success has stemmed from the power play and guess who is on that powerplay. Yep you guessed it, Kovy, setting him up with perfect passes for one timers.

Guy Carbonneau, kind of easy to look like a hero when he has a veteran busting his butt out there and setting a fine example for the youngsters. Who is that veteran? Yep, right again, it's Alex.

I know I'm giving alot of praise to Kovy, but in my humble opinion, he deserves all the praise and all the accolades for the success of this team this year.

when kovalev was slumping last season, the pp was still on because of souray. souray is gone. Markov IMO is the key to our PP success. He's a genius.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
when kovalev was slumping last season, the pp was still on because of souray. souray is gone. Markov IMO is the key to our PP success. He's a genius.

And the team was in first place as well :rolleyes:

I was going to answer this survey, but realized that I can't make any kind of decision because IMO all the options listed are important factors in our success. Except maybe for goaltending, which has been such a question mark with all the controversy and rotation.

Guest muskeg

They all contribute to the team's success, but I voted for team chemistry simply because I think that can encompass a few others within it...Kovalev, Plekanec, young guns, pp for example.

Guest overlords
And the team was in first place as well :rolleyes:

what is your problem? Our PP is in the same place as last year. The other aspects of our game are the reason why we're in first in the east. The 5v5 scoring and defence is the difference.

Guest habsrule4eva3089
what is your problem? Our PP is in the same place as last year. The other aspects of our game are the reason why we're in first in the east. The 5v5 scoring and defence is the difference.

don't forget goaltending, we have the best young goaltender in the world. and if yesterday is any indication, opposition teams are going to have a very tough time beating Mr. Price.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach

My problem? I don't have a problem. People that usually start statements with "What's your problem?" are the ones with the problem.

To reply to your statement, even though you were rude, our powerplay this year is by no means the same as last year. Last year's powerplay was one dimensional and only featured a shot from the point. We finished first with 22.8%. However, 3 teams scored more goals than us on the pp, albeit it on more chances.

This year, our powerplay is at 25.3% thus far and we lead all teams with goals scored with 78. Next closest is Philly with 22.8% and 71 goals and after that it's Pittsburgh with 21.4% and 65 goals.

Last year we had a total of 86 goals scored on 378 tries and this year we have 78 goals already on only 308 tries.

Difference, last year we depended on one guy to score from the point, this year, anyone can score because of superior puck movement.

Therefore, I'll disagree with you that our powerplay is that the same place as last year.

I was going to answer this survey, but realized that I can't make any kind of decision because IMO all the options listed are important factors in our success. Except maybe for goaltending, which has been such a question mark with all the controversy and rotation.

But are they all equal in your mind Weep, which is the intension of the poll. I did enable the multiple choice by the way. :)

Guest concreteveins
To me the biggest difference this year is without a doubt is the play of Alex Kovalev,without him playing this way this year we might have been a little different team,not to say that the Habs still would not be in the playoffs but he seems to be on a mission this year plus our young guns grew a lot in only one year.I truly believe that Kovalev wants to win his next Stanley Cup in Montreal. :D

Agreed.

Archived