The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal @ San Jose | Mar. 3 2008 | Final: 6-4 San Jose + Officials

jl-1

Guest habsrule4eva3089
The west needs to play the East ALot more,The schedual has to change
Yah so does the officiating... it's getting so bad i'd be willing to hire nfl ones and put them on skates
Their PK was excellent. We didn't get much on the powerplay due to how aggressive they were. Our PK could learn something about how you PK from the Sharks. They are always in your face and forcing bad passes. They took away the pass through the middle of the ice for the most part.
It's safe to say had Begin been playing tonight our pk would be quiet better.g'd nite folks.... GO HABS GO!!! we move on ...

ONE MORE THING... WHY ARE WE WEARING OUR RED JERSEYS EVERY GAME NOW FOR THE PAST WEEK OR SO...HOME OR ROAD???

Guest tomzilla

anyways to the Price nay sayers, to put things in perspective, tim thomas let in 4 goals in ~9 shots. everyone gets an off night

Guest habsrule4eva3089
anyways to the Price nay sayers, to put things in perspective, tim thomas let in 4 goals in ~9 shots. everyone gets an off night

im surprised this doesn't happen more to that team.... a qmjhl team should be able to beat them easily

Guest RockMtl
How about we leave misinterpreted racial cliches out of this thread :(

OK - I'll bite!!!!!!!

NO use jumping on posters or the rest of the team - either. The HABS scored 4 goals - should of been enough - wasn't! Let's call a SPADE a SPADE - Price didn't play well - and what's wrong with saying THAT!!

to

NO use jumping on posters or the rest of the team - either. The HABS scored 4 goals - should of been enough - wasn't! Let's call a Heart a Heart - Price didn't play well - and what's wrong with saying THAT!!

LOLLLLLL

Yah so does the officiating... it's getting so bad i'd be willing to hire nfl ones and put them on skatesIt's safe to say had Begin been playing tonight our pk would be quiet better.

g'd nite folks.... GO HABS GO!!! we move on ...

we had four solid power plays. what more do you want. price was soft tonight. i thought halak should have started. price played back to back games and had a long trip west, he should have been given a break, if not for rest just to see what halak {the best goalie in the minors} "B. Gainey". what better grounds to prove on. Guy always seems to go one start to long.

Guest ComeBackStanley

ok. i have to say this...the crowd sounded like my old hockey game i had on NES...so did the music lol.

Weird game... wish we would have had that last goal and could have at least grabbed a point in OT... but you can't win them all...i figured it would be a tight game and well if Mitchel comes back to town i'll have to stalk him and beat him :s haha okay i've never met the guy (just as i haven't met Elisha cuthbert) but haha if I was him, i would ha let the Habs at least go to OT...haha...I have a feeling i would get fired alot if i was a hockey player

Guest ReturnoftheGiantHogweed
We wouldn't be here in First place now without HuetAnyways Price had a bad game and he should Bounce Back next Game and not all Huet fans are rooting for price to fail.
What a stupid thing to say!! First and formost we are all Hab fans, what we are pointing out is Price goes down way to early too often, and when teams do their homework they shoot high alot and sometimes score, well tonight he was letting everything in and Carbonneau should have pulled him after 2 periods! I blame Carbonneau more than Price! Yes I think Gainey should never have traded HUET, it seems no matter how good the team does and they were very good tonight, without sound goaltending we are in big trouble, and even tough you all seem to want it PRICE is not Patrick Roy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's total *****. You mean like all those games your boyfriend Huet stole for us? oh right, he didn't. Yes Carbo should have pulled him, to spare him that embarassment of a game that was displayed by the rest of the team. you miss Huet. don't speak for the rest of us.
WOW Price has a bad game and you all fall to pieces!!

Guest Onzeee

Man, how deflating was that? Canadiens are on the road, being slapped around, outshot and outscored. Their hottest line scores a beauty to tie it up and cange momentum. Then Price falls asleep on that ridiculous shot. Terrible.

mike boone-

BTW ... I didn't know the officials knew russian.... hence Marky being thrown out

the officials clearly didn't know russian, they wouldn't have thrown him out if they did. Markov was inviting them all for a drink after the game to congratulate them on such a fine job they did tonight :D

Yes but the refs probably call different things seeing as they play a different style of game

does that different style involve playing with 6 skaters? ;)

We could have used a few more shots from the D, we all saw how Obyrns went in, not many other attempts were made

OB one, streit two (at the blue line on the PP), hammer two, markov four .... 9 out of 31 isn't too bad .... the D shot enough, they just didn't defend enough

Guest ForeverGuyLafleur
Man, how deflating was that? Canadiens are on the road, being slapped around, outshot and outscored. Their hottest line scores a beauty to tie it up and cange momentum. Then Price falls asleep on that ridiculous shot. Terrible.

mike boone-

P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C! Only word to describe the performance by the goalie when the other guys never gave up. :angry::angry:

Speaking of the refs' screwjob, I really wanted anybody to smash one of the refs' head into the glass because of the scrappy job they did and also knowing they are pro-Leafs from as far as I can remember. <_<:angry:

Guest thefooligan5
How about we leave misinterpreted racial cliches out of this thread :(

I can't say what the origins of that phrase are but I know that today, the coloquial meaning is quite benign and simplistic. I mean we could all be saying, "Let's call a truck a truck."

There are plenty of words and saying in our present day vernacular that generations gone back would loathe to hear, but this is now so I don't think we need to be too uptight about it (uless the intentions are racially bigoted - that is a different story).

Guest ComeBackStanley

i wouldn't say it was all price's fault. One goal i did yell at him for was the 6th. don't know what he was thinking on that one. The 2nd goal i was yelling at smolinski. Other wise, the defence wasn't quite all there so i would not put all the blame on Price...some people also said he was run over for one of the other SJ goals, didn't see it but that would not be his fault in that case. Have to say i was at least happy to see that even though the guys were having problems out there, they did come back with a goal for the most part. and well San jose just seems to be an all around good team. Good on Offence as well as good on defence. Our defence is not bad on a good day, but it is missing Grit. and on a game like today we're they seem to not be skating, its worse. But other wise i would just say this game ended up the way it did more from SJ's really good offence than anyhing else. Bad games happen, i'm not happy but I wasn't that surprised from the outcome (even though i was yelling at the tv)

Guest thefooligan5
P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C! Only word to describe the performance by the goalie when the other guys never gave up. :angry::angry:

Speaking of the refs' screwjob, I really wanted anybody to smash one of the refs' head into the glass because of the scrappy job they did and also knowing they are pro-Leafs from as far as I can remember. <_<:angry:

Poor Leafs. They are a thousand miles away and still being blamed :P

Guest ComeBackStanley

I can't say what the origins of that phrase are but I know that today, the coloquial meaning is quite benign and simplistic. I mean we could all be saying, "Let's call a truck a truck."

There are plenty of words and saying in our present day vernacular that generations gone back would loathe to hear, but this is now so I don't think we need to be too uptight about it (uless the intentions are racially bigoted - that is a different story).

just to back that up, i didn't even know there was a racial meaning or whatever to that saying (which i believe was "a spade is a spade"). So if i had used it, i wouldn't have done so knowingly

Guest Ricochet

Well, I hope our guys come out of this game with a better attitude than some of the fans. ;)

Realistically, this game was going to be close, hard fought and higher scoring. I don't think anyone could have predicted the other factors in this game and aside from a few blunders, we actually played fairly well. Considering we were coming off back to back games, jet lag and a late start.

The ice was horrible and lead to the first turnover that resulted in a goal. It started with Kovalev moving down the right side, puck gliding smooth and flat and he had complete control. The puck hit a bad spot on the ice and hopped up over his stick. Otherwise the first offensive opportunities would have been ours. (Not sure why Koivu is credited with the giveaway, he must have touched the puck after Kovalev lost it.)

Second goal was a series of blunders. Smolinski tripped up Price, Price was undecided about whether to attempt to get back up or not and did a couple of situps, which left a hole behind his shoulder to slide the puck in from behind the net. Smolinski did nothing to help Price recover from the play and from the looks of it, there was no communication between them. Trying to get up opens as many holes as staying down in that situation. All Smolinski on this one. Price could direct traffic in that situation, but every D man knows when your goalie is down and out, you get between the puck and the net until he can recover.

The tip through the 5 hole was a result of Price stooping to pick up his dropped stick and not having time to get set properly for the shot. It was a good shot fired at an opportune moment. Not much you can say about that one.

The goal scored under Price's blocker could be a result of going down too early. To be fair, it was deflected slightly in front of Price, but if he could have had any of them, he had the best chance on this one.

The move Campbell pulled off was amazing, he went from being taken out of the play by Komi to scoring position too quickly for Price to react. Could he have made a save? Sure. Give Campbell credit though, that was a hell of a maneuver.

I'm tired and there were more goals than usual this game, I can't recall the play on the other goal.

Price was angry tonight. Smolinski, a couple of bad breaks, being jostled in the crease. He didn't play a bad game, but at some point your goalie has to stop a few of the weirder chances. He is showing some vulnerabilities, tracking the puck after the save and adapting to the unexpected, but I'm confident he will learn quickly. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't start the next game, he still played well, it just wasn't well enough. I like that he was upset and I hope his team recognizes it and rallies around him next game.

To Smolinski's credit, he did seem to try and make amends. He was actually putting in an effort in the offensive end for a few shifts, but he relapsed when nothing resulted from it.

This game would have been so much better without referees. I felt both teams were evenly victimized by the officials, but around half of the calls weren't necessary. I still want to see another replay of the Markov penalty that resulted in him getting himself thrown out. I'm positive he didn't touch the other player with his stick and there is only an outside chance he nicked his foot with his glove or shoulder. (Couldn't really tell with the angle) I'll admit that Markov did not have a strong game in either direction, but he is permitted the odd sub-par performance.

Komisarek was duped on that spinoramian maneuver, but that was his only noticeably weak play of the game. He was even battling three sharks at once behind our net and won. That was amazing. (Until Markov flipped the pass over the glass for a penalty. Oops!)

I want to give Koivu, Higgins and Lats a nod because they all played better than the last few games. They weren't amazing, but the improvement was noticeable. (At least to me) One thing on Lats though, someone obviously told him to shoot the puck more, which is great, but they forgot to remind him to take a second or two to figure out which direction the net is in first. He fired off a few, but they were definitely some wild shots. (So bad they weren't even counted as missed shots or were mistaken for really hard passes, lol) No worries, you've got the right idea.

Lapierre once again brought a superb effort. You can't talk about a game without mentioning Lapierre lately. He is on fire when he is on the ice and I love his performance level. He took what could have been a nasty elbow along the boards from Thornton (I actually think he might have ducked under it, otherwise it probably would have been nasty) and not five seconds later he was throwing a clean hit back at Thornton. Don't ever stop what you are doing Lapierre.

One of the more exciting aspects of tonight's game was that Grabovski appears to be settling in. He had a couple of great shifts and he could very well turn it on in the next few games. I'll be keeping an eye on him, really hoping he hits his stride on this road trip.

O'Byrne, congratulations on your first NHL goal! I don't want you to start thinking you should be playing offensively yet, but I will applaud you every time you make good on an opportunity, as you don't get them that often.

This isn't the best start to our road trip, but it wasn't unexpected and it didn't cost us tonight as Ottawa lost their game as well. (I'm not sure if the Pens have 1st place now, I believe we are tied and I'll have to check the tiebreaker stats)

It was a great game to watch, exciting and with alot of chances at both ends. This was the kind of game that will usually play in our favor and it just didn't work out that way tonight. I have no doubt we will be back to our winning ways against Phoenix.

I have to say, I watched the San Jose broadcast on Center Ice and these are the best American announcers all year. They showed a slight bias of course, but they weren't stupid about it and were quite willing to talk about Montreal and admit when they were bad and we were good. They even chimed in on our side of the calls a few times. Made it much more enjoyable than typical US commentators.

Don't worry about this one, it isn't going to be the typical result when we meet up with the Sharks.

Guest habs fan #1
What a stupid thing to say!! First and formost we are all Hab fans, what we are pointing out is Price goes down way to early too often, and when teams do their homework they shoot high alot and sometimes score, well tonight he was letting everything in and Carbonneau should have pulled him after 2 periods! I blame Carbonneau more than Price! Yes I think Gainey should never have traded HUET, it seems no matter how good the team does and they were very good tonight, without sound goaltending we are in big trouble, and even tough you all seem to want it PRICE is not Patrick Roy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WOW Price has a bad game and you all fall to pieces!!

What was Stupid I will break it down in Squads for easy understanding

Squad one: Huet was in nets all of January where we collected 18 points out of 24

Squad two: Carey Price had a bad game tonight

Squad three: Even though he had a bad game he may bounce back and win the Next one

Squad four: I am a huge Huet fan but I don't want price to fail, I want him to win.

That is the easiest format I can think of.

Guest Ricochet

So many pages!

Seriously people, we played well all things considered. (Ice, officiating, a few weak plays, etc.)

There is no shame in accepting that we were outplayed. The ice is part of the home advantage, you get used to it when you play there often. The officiating was inconsistent, there were calls and non-calls both ways. I agree the too many men is one that shouldn't have been missed. That's the linesman's call to make and he dropped the ball. I'm still looking for the last Markov penalty, but that appears to have been the backbreaker.

I won't agree that our defense was terrible. Smolinski, yes. Mistakes with Markov and Komi are rare, both in the same game is just bad luck. Being down 5 on 3 and Hammer limping from a blocked shot was a bad situation and there's really nothing you can do but cross your fingers. One or two goals could have been prevented.

Give San Jose credit though, they found ways to score and they managed to shut down our power play. Neither of those are easy tasks. We didn't make it easy on them, they just fought through it and came out on top this time.

Guest youppipwns

I was expecting a loss. When I am sleeping during a habs game we lose :( Guys next time gimme coffeee :D

I got rugby in an hour so thats why i didnt watch the game need to wake up 6ish lol and game ends at 1

Well that was one crazy game, but in the end the only thing that changed was...............nothing.Montreal is still first in the East. :lol:

Habs Fan # 1, by any chance are you military:)?2PPCLI here.

Guest FlHabsFan

Wow....1300 posts over 35 threads, 2nd only to the Rangers thread. And here I expected a game that started at 1030 to have just a handful of pages.

Guest moe181

just woke up and saw the highlights and well.....

last night wasn't price's night, the shelly goal, and the cambell goal (heck even the cheechoo goal) were all bad, and those were the ones that really put us out of it.

And I thought price was about to break our great #1 goalie :S

Oh well, hope halak plays against phoenix and LA, its the least you can do for the guy

Archived