The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal @ San Jose | Mar. 3 2008 | Final: 6-4 San Jose + Officials

jl-1

Guest Innis_Mor
the D shot enough, they just didn't defend enough

Bingo. The main issue tonight. The forwards did OK.

3 Shark goals on 2-on-2's or 1-on-2's, one goal on a complete screen of Price, another on a defenseman's deflection of a very long shot. That's a total of 5 goals, plus a majority of the penalties. Not good enough against the Sharks.

Overall, not all that bad a result. 4 goals and 31 shots against the Sharks -- they don't see that too often I can tell you! The Habs just got off the plane the day before and are not used to the long travel. They'll be better the rest of the U.S. western trip. Sharks just got back from a long road trip themselves, so they were 'up" because of that.

Defense is easier to fix than offense: I liked the 6-4 loss more than Ottawa's 3-1 loss. (I see Alfie bowed out mid-game there, so he wouldn't have to take anymore retribution for shooting the puck at Neidermeyer last play-offs.)

Guest Onzeee
i wouldn't say it was all price's fault. One goal i did yell at him for was the 6th. don't know what he was thinking on that one. The 2nd goal i was yelling at smolinski. Other wise, the defence wasn't quite all there so i would not put all the blame on Price...some people also said he was run over for one of the other SJ goals, didn't see it but that would not be his fault in that case. Have to say i was at least happy to see that even though the guys were having problems out there, they did come back with a goal for the most part. and well San jose just seems to be an all around good team. Good on Offence as well as good on defence. Our defence is not bad on a good day, but it is missing Grit. and on a game like today we're they seem to not be skating, its worse. But other wise i would just say this game ended up the way it did more from SJ's really good offence than anyhing else. Bad games happen, i'm not happy but I wasn't that surprised from the outcome (even though i was yelling at the tv)

Ya their big forwards were pressuring our D all game, and that led to really bad decisions and mis adventures

Guest habsgal

[quote name='ReturnoftheGiantHogweed' date='Mar 4 WOW Price has a bad game and you all fall to pieces!!

I really hate it when everyone gets labeled by a few quotes in here. Not everyone feels the same. Yes Price had a terrible game, brutal really, but he will bounce back. I was more peeved at the dirty elbows, runnig the goalie, leaving their feet on the checks - the obvious biased officiating. More than the outcome itself - that was a horrendous officiated game. It's right up there with being the worse game(s) I saw in a long time. And I watch a lot of hockey, not only the Habs.

Guest cooch_a_mania

kinda off topic gents/ ladies...but this is really bugging me... in the RDS commercial with Lambert in the barber shop.. and the Bruin comes in for a "beau special Gerry Cheevers" who is the other guy there???

it's a good commcial and makes me laugh..

TIA

Guest Greek Hab
kinda off topic gents/ ladies...but this is really bugging me... in the RDS commercial with Lambert in the barber shop.. and the Bruin comes in for a "beau special Gerry Cheevers" who is the other guy there???

it's a good commcial and makes me laugh..

TIA

Pierre Bouchard.

Honest to God, I've never seen such a poorly officiated game. Yes, our D was subpar, and yes Price should never have allowed the fourth goal, but man alive, it's hard to blame the team when the zebras came in and stole the game for the home team. The missed too many men, the non-double-minor on the Grabovski penalty, the constant goalie interference which actually cost us at least one goal, the uncalled crosschecks on our players, the vanishingly minor 'crosschecks' they DID call on our players ... this game was unwatchable.

They missed some serious stuff on the San Jose side, but they missed more calls against us than they normally do as well. Especially in the third, we could have been called for hooking at least twice; as well, there were a couple nasty hits from behind early in the game that went uncalled.

For sure, we should have gotten a couple more calls for us -- but we were by no means saints on the ice.

Guest WindsorHab#10

The whole team had an off night especially on special teams but despite all that, the killer was Price who definitely let the team down. I thought Carbo should've lifted him after the 3rd goal and definitely after the 4th. I'd like to see Halak on Thursday and take it from there. All in all, a very disappointing effort.

Guest Godfather

honestly there is no reason to blame the refs for this game. The refs should never be the reason you lose even if you think the couple calls against you will cause you to lose then in all honesty you don't deserve to win the game.

This game was important...it's a loss and they will learn more from a loss, san jose is a great team they are evenly matched up against us. The d-men should start takin names and punishing bodies to people who take runs at our goalie. I just hope price doesn't get shaken up, he made some great saves but the softie he let in just killed the team. I honestly blame our dee for not backin up the Price.

Guest Bourne
They missed some serious stuff on the San Jose side, but they missed more calls against us than they normally do as well. Especially in the third, we could have been called for hooking at least twice; as well, there were a couple nasty hits from behind early in the game that went uncalled.

For sure, we should have gotten a couple more calls for us -- but we were by no means saints on the ice.

See the thing is that all came in the third and my guess is they figured San Jose had it and their job was over. I agree with Weep completely; it is difficult to cite what exactly the team did wrong when the refs were against us every step of the way. I will say the following though:

- Price was terrible last night. Now with that in mind I do not actually fault him entirely. Can you imagine the irritation he must have suffered after being shove down for a fifth or sixth time and still the refs make no calls, two of which cost us a goal? I do not blame him for being a little off his game after all that. This is a learning curve and I doubt will be a repeat performance.

- Smolinski was also terrible and looked almost lost once again. He had a stellar performer upon his return however he seems to have cooled down completely by now. Definitely should sit on the bench when Begin is ready or even be replaced by Chipchura.

- Defense was subpar, as stated. Hamrlik was a beast and is shaping to be our best defenseman by far. I do not recall seeing him make a mistake thus far this year. Markovm on the other hand is not so fortunate and seriously needs to revalue his game.

All in all, the silver lining in this loss is it proves we are a cup contender team, how? Because despite the difficulty, the Habs rolled back time and time again and we lost 6-4. That is hardly a horrible lose even if the refs are not one-sided. We cannot win them all, however if we can lose with some dignity instead of our usual blow outs, then I will embrace that; provided it doesn't happen against the Kings and Coyotes. I want them killed. :P

Guest KOIVU#11

Probably the worst defensive game I've seen played all year, Georges really made that trade look good when he Cheecho made him look like a atom hockey player. Komisarek as well also made himself/the team look great when he got made a fool of by another defensemen. The first goal, they just walked though everyone, yes price played poor, but the defense have to be to blame for this one as well as our powrplay which went 0 for 7. You cannot be the number one powerplay in the league and go 0 for 7, it just can't happen. And on top of all this we had horrible luck , San Jose's 4th goal was just absoultley ridculous, thats all I have to say about that one, and their thrid goal should have never counted as well, Their guy boulds over price and theres no call? Very frusterating game to say the least and not one that I should have stayed up until 2:45 watching. Also I think the travel factor had a lot to do with everyone being in a daze out there.

We cannot win them all, however if we can lose with some dignity instead of our usual blow outs, then I will embrace that; provided it doesn't happen against the Kings and Coyotes. I want them killed. :P
True that

Guest habs fan #1
Honest to God, I've never seen such a poorly officiated game. Yes, our D was subpar, and yes Price should never have allowed the fourth goal, but man alive, it's hard to blame the team when the zebras came in and stole the game for the home team. The missed too many men, the non-double-minor on the Grabovski penalty, the constant goalie interference which actually cost us at least one goal, the uncalled crosschecks on our players, the vanishingly minor 'crosschecks' they DID call on our players ... this game was unwatchable.

Exactly Weep and what Idon't get is in a poorly officiated game like this if a player gets frustrated and gets aggresive and hurts somebody then they get punished and the ref's are off free. I don't condone dirty play but sometimes that is why it happens and I think there should be a system in place for Referees that would see Fines and loss of salaries after all they are Professionals to.

What is everybody's take on that?

The tip through the 5 hole was a result of Price stooping to pick up his dropped stick and not having time to get set properly for the shot. It was a good shot fired at an opportune moment. Not much you can say about that one.

IMO, the non-call on Marleau knocking Price down is what resulted in this goal. What disapoints me is the lack of reaction from the Habs defence. Star player or not, penalty or not, Marleau should have been mauled (ala Komiserek on Staal in game 1 of the 2006 play-offs). I'm not one to promote goonery, but there are times when taking an aggressive penalty is necessary. In this case, the team failed to establish that our goaltender is not to be messed with. IMO, this is critical with a young goaltender playing a big, physical team. The result was a goaltender, cleary uncomfortable with the oposing team driving hard to the net with impunity throughout the game. Not siting this as the only reason for the loss, but definitely a factor.

Guest TORHABSFAN
IMO, the non-call on Marleau knocking Price down is what resulted in this goal. What disapoints me is the lack of reaction from the Habs defence. Star player or not, penalty or not, Marleau should have been mauled (ala Komiserek on Staal in game 1 of the 2006 play-offs). I'm not one to promote goonery, but there are times when taking an aggressive penalty is necessary. In this case, the team failed to establish that our goaltender is not to be messed with. IMO, this is critical with a young goaltender playing a big, physical team. The result was a goaltender, cleary uncomfortable with the oposing team driving hard to the net with impunity throughout the game. Not siting this as the only reason for the loss, but definitely a factor.

Agreed Marleau should have been levealed after that.. And so should the refs. Unbelivable how is that not a penalty?

NOTCH ONE MORE FEATHER ON THE CAP

It was gut-check time and a test of character for Mr. Price last night and a hefts test of character. Unfortunately the outcome was adverse, but hopefully he will take it as a learning experience and put it in his bag of tricks.

An unlucky goal, a goal which should not have been counted because of a blatantly missed goaltender interference call (not referring to Smokes here, but the third goal) and two other missed goaltender interference goals before the mid way point of the game was enough to throw our young net-minder off his game. We should give credit where credit is due. The Sharks had a clear game plan to disrupt Price’s tempo, and Price fallowed suit. Things could have been different if the refs would have called a fair game, but that also is something the players have to learn to deal with.

The unfortunate truth is rarely will these young jocs play a consistently fair game. The donkey droppings in zebra shirts change moods, tolerance levels and peripheral vision angles from minute to minute. Further more, each poop sack has a different way of judging the game, and interpreting the rules. Oh and in case you’re wondering, I can insult the NHL officiating team and get away with it because I’m not an established or professional journalist. So as Red Fisher has to refrain him self at “questionable call”, I can sit here and write a hundred things that supersede the officiating team in the order of life. Given limited space and time, I’ll limit the list to a random ten (these are in no particular order):

• A bucket of slime eel (if you don’t know what it looks like: http://assets.espn.go.com/winnercomm/outdo...i/p2-fish05.jpg )

• An elephant’s toe jam

• Michael Moore’s underpants after all you can eat burrito night at the Clinton’s residence

• Jerry’s remains

• That diaper full of HLD junior’s droppings I chucked at a passer by biker.

• A pack of gum

• A decomposed maggot

• A toothpick

• The sticky stuff Zorro the Beagle leaves behind after he has a round with on of our guest’s leg

• Rubber puke

The list can go on, but alas I must get back to work and catch up on my sleep I missed out last night. In the meanwhile if you would like to continue adding to the above list please feel free. I find it rather therapeutic.

Guest sanman
Exactly Weep and what Idon't get is in a poorly officiated game like this if a player gets frustrated and gets aggresive and hurts somebody then they get punished and the ref's are off free. I don't condone dirty play but sometimes that is why it happens and I think there should be a system in place for Referees that would see Fines and loss of salaries after all they are Professionals to.

What is everybody's take on that?

I believe there is a mechanism for teams to ask the league about the officiating in any game. Brian Murray made a gesture of calling someone when he got kicked out of last nights game in Anaheim which was his message that he was going to speak to someone about it. Chances of that going anywhere are slim with Betman in charge. It was a 10 goal game in California...he could care less about the officiating.

Clearly SJ's game plan was to rattle Price. The league is supposed to protect goalies through penalties but you know what, so are our players. I never saw one player even 'discuss' the interference with anyone from SJ. Maybe we would have been penalized for fighting for our goalie but heck we were penalized anyways so why not take a good penalty protectng your goalie?

Smolinski has to sit out. Dandenault/Begin would have been perfect in this game. Begin is the only guy who would have stepped in for Price or went straight to their net.

Lattendresse is doing very little as well.

Georges had a bad game but please Carbo do not replace him with Brisebois...it was just one bad game.

Price back in on Thursday...let him know he can have a bad game and won't be penalized..."no win and you're in."

Jet, they did miss calls against, but if you add things up, San Jose had far more calls go their way. I never like to blame the officiating for a loss -- that's Leafs mentality, and 99% of the time I'd prefer to look at the team performance -- but come on, they scored a goal on a completely ridiculous sequence in which Marleau shoved Price into the net and knocked away his stick right before the goal was scored. They were running at him and knocking him over IN the blue paint all night long and didn't get penalized once. What a joke. If that's the superiority of the Western Conference, it's a crock. They can't actually win games by playing by the rules, so they maul the goalie with their gorilla-size players and everyone raves about big Joe Thornton. Give me a break.

Continuing in a long tradition, our players get high sticked clearly drawing blood and there is no four-minute penalty. The San Jose player stopping Latendresse on the odd-man rush -- not only did that take away a potential scoring chance, they clearly had too many men on the ice and should have been penalized. So we lost the scoring chance AND the power play we rightfully deserved. Calling Streit for 'cross-checking' (a tiny shove and a huge dive from the Shark) and then turning a blind eye when McLaren absolutely pancaked Latendresse from behind, on his knees, face first into the boards (and McLaren has always been a dirty player, dating back to the Zednik hit in the 01-02 playoffs).

From top to bottom, the officiating in this game was brutal. It stunk, and what's worse, it was capricious and inconsistent. A penalty-filled game called straight down the middle is annoying, but at least understandable. A penalty-filled game in which blatant violations are ignored but phantom infractions are called every time just makes me want to put the remote through my TV.

Guest habsrule4eva3089

Let's hope the boys come out flying thursday night and play a better defensive game. More importantly PRICE WILL REBOUNC.... no doutb about it....

Guest ChiLla

I totally agree, this game was unwatchable. And I had such high expectations since we barely play teams from the West. Our D just didn't show up, Komisarek and Gorges were just not out there, Markov with a few lapses, Hamrlik and O'Byrne solid however. Our Offence was definitely there, I particularly liked Plekanec, A.Kostitsyn and Lapierre. The latter really stirred things up and was skating hard all night, good judgement on his part on not to engage in a fight with Shelley though ;)

The good thing about last night's game? Although everything went totally wrong from the start, Price wasn't on the height of his game, SJ scored 3 highlight reel goals, and officiating hit rock bottom early but then somehow managed to start digging, we stayed in the game until the very end and had a few good chances to score the equalizer! Who knows, if our breakaway wouldn't have been stopped by a 6th San Jose player miraculously appearing on the ice, we might even have won this one. Our PP didn't click tonight although the 0 of 7 number is kinda misleading, these obviously weren't full 2 minutes PPs except for 2 or 3 of them and you can't capitalize on 3 of 3 every night. Against Atlante it worked out though :D

Goalie Interference is virtually inexistent in the Western Conference and so are double minors for open cuts in the face. I still can't believe it, what's the point of having two totally different leagues when it comes to officiating ?!

Guest JIMVINNY
Jet, they did miss calls against, but if you add things up, San Jose had far more calls go their way. I never like to blame the officiating for a loss -- that's Leafs mentality, and 99% of the time I'd prefer to look at the team performance -- but come on, they scored a goal on a completely ridiculous sequence in which Marleau shoved Price into the net and knocked away his stick right before the goal was scored. They were running at him and knocking him over IN the blue paint all night long and didn't get penalized once. What a joke. If that's the superiority of the Western Conference, it's a crock. They can't actually win games by playing by the rules, so they maul the goalie with their gorilla-size players and everyone raves about big Joe Thornton. Give me a break.

Continuing in a long tradition, our players get high sticked clearly drawing blood and there is no four-minute penalty. The San Jose player stopping Latendresse on the odd-man rush -- not only did that take away a potential scoring chance, they clearly had too many men on the ice and should have been penalized. So we lost the scoring chance AND the power play we rightfully deserved. Calling Streit for 'cross-checking' (a tiny shove and a huge dive from the Shark) and then turning a blind eye when McLaren absolutely pancaked Latendresse from behind, on his knees, face first into the boards (and McLaren has always been a dirty player, dating back to the Zednik hit in the 01-02 playoffs).

From top to bottom, the officiating in this game was brutal. It stunk, and what's worse, it was capricious and inconsistent. A penalty-filled game called straight down the middle is annoying, but at least understandable. A penalty-filled game in which blatant violations are ignored but phantom infractions are called every time just makes me want to put the remote through my TV.

I completely agree with everything you've posted here. It's a big case of impotent rage, however, because what we think means jack squat to the people that matter. And I think that I'm more frustrated with that fact than with the game last night. No matter how much we discuss and debate how bad it was, the officiating won't change. At least the inconsistencies won't.

Guest LouisianaHab

As difficult as that game was to watch at times, I also found it reassuring that the Habs answered every goal, and with even strength goals. The PP looked good at times, but you can't count on it. I'm glad Price was left in, he has to know that this is his team. In a playoff situation, are we going to be shuffling goalies every time the 3rd goal goes in? I think Carbo knows better than that.

However, I definitely feel that the defence as a group has to take the most heat for that game. People will blame Price because it's easy. But the kind of goals that went in (deking around defencemen, not clearing out the front of the crease, letting star forwards like Marleau tackle your goalie) have to be limited by your defence. People say that your goalie has to be able to steal you some games, how about those 6 blueliners stealing a game? I'm not saying they didn't play well at times indivudually.

Finally, if I were an opposing coach, my strategy for playing the Habs would be:

1. Stay out of the box, unless it's for #2

2. Get all up in Price's Kool-Aid

This is a young goalie under a lot of pressure, billed as being "cool." I would throw everything I had at him, trip him, take a late whack at him. Get him and the Habs off their game. Now, if the Habs aren't ready to face this kind of strategy and they leave Price out to dry, I worry that it won't just mean lost games but eventually Price could lose his self confidence (remember, he has always succeeded at every level).

Archived