The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Montreal @ San Jose | Mar. 3 2008 | Final: 6-4 San Jose + Officials

jl-1

Guest QbGamer

I'm listening to the radio, and its like i was saying last night,

The western style is a different style of hockey, Montreal/ Ottawa were a bit shell shocked, as its such a different style its alot more physical

Guest sanman

The western style is a different style of hockey, Montreal/ Ottawa were a bit shell shocked, as its such a different style its alot more physical

I don't think the HABS were at all out physically played. The were out physically played when it came to goaltender interference. If a team is shocked by that then it's justified as that should not be part of the game.

I'm not clear on what the radio show's point was....

Guest QbGamer

They were diffently out phuysically played

The boarder our players, they ran our goalies, they dont give you a second to get free space they just hit you.

its a whole different game. I was shocked,

The coach of the Sens was thrown out of the game, due to the style of play, style of refs calling

The boarder our players, they ran our goalies, they dont give you a second to get free space they just hit you.

The coach of the Sens was thrown out of the game, due to the style of play, style of refs calling

There in lies the problem. Having a different style or a physically tough game plan is no problem. The HABS have shown in the past they can roll with the punches. However when you get two completely different officiating styles in each Conference, the Cup would seem to go to the team with the refs from their division.

Sure, it's a different style ... it's garbage.

I don't mind physical play at all. But manhandling the goalie in the blue paint, knocking him over, running him into his own net, knocking away his stick ... those are penalties. Plain and simple. You can put a stick for a brief second on a man's body and get a two-minute minor, but you can spear the other team's goalie and play goes right on? Absolute. Nonsense.

I pay to watch hockey, not pro wrestling.

You call that "style of reffing" ? I would be more likely to call it incompetence - the reffing in the league has never been so bad!

Guest ChiLla

I disagree here. We weren't physically outplayed by any means. Our goalie was run over several times and neither our D nor the refs did anything to hinder the Sharks from doing it.

The style isn't that different, the Sharks were forechecking very well though, even during our PP they had always one player going at our D while we were trying to set up plays. You don't see that as often in the Eastern Conference and it worked for them and we felt uncomfortable, especially when Thornton was going at it.

It was a weird game even for the Sharks. As others pointed out before, they aren't a high scoring team really and both D's were kinda open last night.

However, I didn't particularly enjoy watching this game since I found it painful to see that many mental lapses on both sides. Both teams did not only a lot of things right but also a lot wrong :D

Totally in contrast to the refs, they were just brutal.

Guest Clammy

Man, I am STILL steamed about the disgusting officiating in this game. I'm even more disgusted that those lame-brained zebras will be around to screw up more games! :angry:

I wasn't sure if I was watching a hockey game or "Slap Shot" last night! That 3rd goal after marleau tackled Price into the net was a complete joke that never should have counted. How does the sharks guy NOT get the extra 2 for cutting Grabs? How do those zeroes miss the too many men, where the extra man broke up a Canadiens rush???????? And what the hell...are the sharks players on the US Olympic Diving team, or what???? :angry:

Yeah, we didn't play one of our best games, and had a number of defensive breakdowns, but holy hell, the real difference in this game was the horrid, HORRID refereeing. :angry: :angry: :angry:

The positive in this game is that the boys never gave up. I give them a LOT of credit for that. Last year, this game would have been over in the first period, and the score would have been really ugly.

I hope Carbo plays Price against the coyotes. Gotta get right back up on that horse!

GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!

Guest habsgal
Jet, they did miss calls against, but if you add things up, San Jose had far more calls go their way. I never like to blame the officiating for a loss -- that's Leafs mentality, and 99% of the time I'd prefer to look at the team performance -- but come on, they scored a goal on a completely ridiculous sequence in which Marleau shoved Price into the net and knocked away his stick right before the goal was scored. They were running at him and knocking him over IN the blue paint all night long and didn't get penalized once. What a joke. If that's the superiority of the Western Conference, it's a crock. They can't actually win games by playing by the rules, so they maul the goalie with their gorilla-size players and everyone raves about big Joe Thornton. Give me a break.

Continuing in a long tradition, our players get high sticked clearly drawing blood and there is no four-minute penalty. The San Jose player stopping Latendresse on the odd-man rush -- not only did that take away a potential scoring chance, they clearly had too many men on the ice and should have been penalized. So we lost the scoring chance AND the power play we rightfully deserved. Calling Streit for 'cross-checking' (a tiny shove and a huge dive from the Shark) and then turning a blind eye when McLaren absolutely pancaked Latendresse from behind, on his knees, face first into the boards (and McLaren has always been a dirty player, dating back to the Zednik hit in the 01-02 playoffs).

From top to bottom, the officiating in this game was brutal. It stunk, and what's worse, it was capricious and inconsistent. A penalty-filled game called straight down the middle is annoying, but at least understandable. A penalty-filled game in which blatant violations are ignored but phantom infractions are called every time just makes me want to put the remote through my TV.

I couldn't of said it any better Weep. I just finished watching Canadiens Express and came close to throwing my remote at the TV. I wanted to see this game twice because I just couldn't believe my eyes last night. I wish that I could understand french, because like me, the announcers were really p-off as well. The Sharks are a dirty team, I saw them a few times this year. And they did indeed had a plan to rattle Price and gotten away with cheap tactics. What was billed as an anticipated good game in the makin's from a fan's point of view, all those blatant calls took the fun out of it. I had flashbacks last night of Roger Neilson throwing the 'white' towel' on the ice. Knowing that Carbo has a temper, if he had done the very same thing - I was waiting for it; I would of been so proud of our coach. If the league doesn't want to do anything, then perhaps the teams should unite. Beginning with Murray. That game was ridiculous as well.

Guest thefooligan5
Honest to God, I've never seen such a poorly officiated game. Yes, our D was subpar, and yes Price should never have allowed the fourth goal, but man alive, it's hard to blame the team when the zebras came in and stole the game for the home team. The missed too many men, the non-double-minor on the Grabovski penalty, the constant goalie interference which actually cost us at least one goal, the uncalled crosschecks on our players, the vanishingly minor 'crosschecks' they DID call on our players ... this game was unwatchable.

Good word. Not what I would characterize as exciting in the least.

They missed some serious stuff on the San Jose side, but they missed more calls against us than they normally do as well. Especially in the third, we could have been called for hooking at least twice; as well, there were a couple nasty hits from behind early in the game that went uncalled.

For sure, we should have gotten a couple more calls for us -- but we were by no means saints on the ice.

This is no doubt true but as weepingminotaur stated the volume of penalties called on each team was not comparable, and the penalties called/missed on the habs were non debatable - It is subjective whether some bodychecks are from behind and some aren't; a really fuzzy grey area. But 6 men on the ice is plain as day. I don't see how any official could miss something like that as the player who jumped on the ice immediately played the puck right in front of the sharks bench. I mean even the most moderate peripheral vision would have shown the sharks' error - this resulted in a missed breakaway chance. Price is bowled over in the net without doubt. Our defenseman was skating in the opposite direction when Marleau took out Price - a clear penalty which directly resulted in the goal by thorton. Not only that, but the Sharks should have never been on the PP for that goal i nthe first place. Not sure if anyone remembers why they but it was because Gorges was called for tripping - well where the officials saw a trip, I saw a dive pulled directly out of Sean Avery's play book.

If these were the only egregious calls made all game we, as habs fans, would still have a great reason to be incensed but I am sad to say there were also a few elbows (at least lapierre immediately returned the favour to Thorton but it still does not make up for woeful officiating), a bloody grabovski which becamse a two minute minor instead of a four minute major, at least one other goalie interference call some questionable hits, it was just an awful spectacle.

I cannot wait to forget about this match.

I recall last year when I went to watch the Memorial cup in Vancouver that the style of play between the eastern and western teams wasn't even comparable. The West absolutely walked over the OHL and QMJHL teams and not because of simply being the better teams but as you stated, the style of play was vastly different and arguably superior. I do not doubt that they play different styles in the east and west of the NHL but that should not affect the manner in which the officials call the games - a trip here is a trip there.

Guest habsrule4eva3089

makes me wonder... is it time we have a full out checking line like .... LAPIERRE CHIPCHURA BEGIN... it'd be pretty tough to play against those guys. Right now were trying to divide the offense way too much. Latendresse is useless. thanks to him Ryder can't get his ice time which he deserves. and the other line would be Ryder Grabs and Streit.... but we really need a line that plays against other teams best lines...

Guest RockMtl

We've covered everything from the Amoeba to Zoology on the Habs performance last night.

If in fact we can wave our magic wand and address all the points that were made in this thread for every game our HABS played - we'd be 67 and 0 for the season and finish the year off 82-0!!

Not GONNA happen!!! Personally - I don't think we played all that bad last night - as a matter of fact - we'd probably beat any team, playing the same way - 7 out of 10 times! We scored 4 goals people!!! From fanned shots, defenders getting undressed, bad ref calls and weak goals - WE'VE seen it ALL before and put 'W's in the stat column! I can bet you my next paycheck the TEAM is not analyzing this defeat - anywhere close to the way WE the FANS are. They know what happened - individual players know what they did and good chance at this momment - it is all forgotten!

The only analysis of the game that I have is - we scored 4 goals - it was time for the goaltending to steal one - and it didn't happen - VERY clear to me!!!! (PS: I don't care who was in nets - so I'm not attacking any individual. How many times do we hear the expression - 'the goalie stold this one' - so there is no need on jumping on my back thinking that 4 goals should of been enough to win the game)

What bothers me is that in the playoffs, the refs always favour the 'western' style of play -- i.e. dirty play with no enforcement of the rules. If the zebras are going to play 'western' rules in the postseason, when it matters the most, then let them call games exactly the same way in the eastern conference. We'll go out and get a few 250-pound gorillas, dress them up, and tell them to gang-tackle other team's goalies. We'll cross-check, elbow, trip, and gouge to our heart's content. We'll dive at the first hook. It'll be great, we'll be contenders. :rolleyes:

Guest sanman

The one thing I actually thought was fair was the assessment from the FSN commentators. They were pretty straight up about the no-calls on both sides.

However they are damn annoying when they call players by their first name like "Jonathen, Joe" etc.

For the record I completley disagree that this is the style of the Western Conference. I have watched many games this year and it's not like this at all. This was plain out brutal officiating and coincidently there was brutal officiating in Anaheim.

Guest ChiLla
The only analysis of the game that I have is - we scored 4 goals - it was time for the goaltending to steal one - and it didn't happen - VERY clear to me!!!! (PS: I don't care who was in nets - so I'm not attacking any individual. How many times do we hear the expression - 'the goalie stold this one' - so there is no need on jumping on my back thinking that 4 goals should of been enough to win the game)

Sounds good, scoring 4 goals on the road should usually be enough to win the game. There's several reasons why it didn't happen last night. Let's make the Coyotes pay for it, go for .500 on the trip and I'll be happy :)

Guest RockMtl

MODS bear with me - this is off on a tangent!

How about we leave misinterpreted racial cliches out of this thread :(

There was no need for any comment like that. The over analysis is childish!!!

Totally ridiculous post - don't know where that came from - followed by posts #1354,1363 and 1366.

Guest habsgal
MODS bear with me - this is off on a tangent!

There was no need for any comment like that. The over analysis is childish!!!

Totally ridiculous post - don't know where that came from - followed by posts #1354,1363 and 1366.

I totally agree. I didn't see anything wrong with that comment. Figuratively speaking, it's used down here all the time without innuendo of being a racist. Never really thought about it really. :blink:

Guest RedWhiteBlue56

Fellow Hab fans, as a Maritimer living out west, this style of hockey is the norm. It's fast and hard hitting. Our team can match the best of them. The frustrating point of last nights game was as hard as our team came back from behind, it seemed that a weak goal was scored once again. They never gave up as in past years. The officiating was "Poor" there is no doubt however I dont believe these relatively new refs/linesmen ever seen such a fast paced game as displayed last evening. As previously mentioned from another great fan, we could have had a few more penalties as well.

The one very sore point for me is that with this west coast swing, our team will not play the west coast Canadian teams. What a thrill it is to see a sea of Red-White & Blue in E'ton, Calgary and Vancouver. True fans, who know the game and out roar the home side.

It was only a loss by one goal, cant win them all. Lets hope that they recover quickly, learn from their mistakes and come home with a few more points. "Go Habs Go!"

Guest Eye_Heart_Gorges26

i must say that the game was AMAZING! Oh My God. I wasn't sure Josh was gonna be playing because the team came out without him then my friend and I were like no..no...no he has to play. Then we saw him. I held my sign up against the glass. Yes, quite a few of the guys read it. HAHAHHA. It was funny because I think it was Markov that kept TRYING to read it. I don't think they completely understood it. But whatever, I know that Josh did. He kinda smiled. My friend go to back after the game and meet Josh. I am hecka jealous of her, but thats okay. I got my time with him when he was here. She's never met him. So stoked that we won, even more stoked that I got to see Josh.

Oh and Komi, Koivu, Markov, Kovalev, yeah the whole team. I'm really really starting to like this team a whole lot. One of my friends asked me if I was a Sharks fan or a Habs fan. I said BOTH. Habs are my East team.

The only thing I was disappointed was no Ole chant :'( I wanted to hear it.

Guest habsrule4eva3089

What was good to see was that we kept coming back in the game and never letting them run with it. We scored 4 even strenght goals and had our powerplay been functioning we would had more of a chance to take this game. Lessons will be learned from this game and i'm sure the boys will have now adapted to the west conference style of play more or less and be ready for thursday night.

Guest fansince1975

Refs were not very good last night. 0-7 on the PP. Sometimes you have to lose to get better.

Let's win the remaining 3 games on this road trip.

Refs were not very good last night. 0-7 on the PP. Sometimes you have to lose to get better.

Let's win the remaining 3 games on this road trip.

nit pik on the 9 sec. pp. please. to all you who think the refs were bad, just watched highlights of 93 on nhl net. stop crying. price was soft, ak27 well you know, and were is ryder {should be back with sk and higgins}. who ever posted that the west is harder dosen't watch hockey, the west is wide open, run and gun, witch is why we need ryder. please watch the game before posting

Guest Highspeed969
Honest to God, I've never seen such a poorly officiated game. Yes, our D was subpar, and yes Price should never have allowed the fourth goal, but man alive, it's hard to blame the team when the zebras came in and stole the game for the home team. The missed too many men, the non-double-minor on the Grabovski penalty, the constant goalie interference which actually cost us at least one goal, the uncalled crosschecks on our players, the vanishingly minor 'crosschecks' they DID call on our players ... this game was unwatchable.

Weep, this is how I felt after watching the game up until 5-3 for SJ and then decided to head to bed...

A couple of things that I wanted to add:

1. I think Price let the non-calls of goaltender interference get into his head...which I would say was SJ's plan to begin with...

2. The 0-7 PP stat is not as bad as what it looks. I can say that at least 3-4 were terminated shortly either by the period ending or the refs making a call against us.

It was a heart breaking loss for us fans because our team is doing so good but the team knows what caused this loss and the officiating changed the game flow/Price's ability to play at his best.

We'll have better luck in PHO im sure!

Archived