The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens

Most Improved/least Improved Habs 07-08

77bourque77

Guest 77Bourque77

Hey guys and gals,

I just thought this would be a good topic nearing the end of the season, where we can talk about which habs players have improved their play or have not from the beginning of the season. I think the talk shouldn't just be about point production, but they way the players have progressed or have stalled.

To me the players that have improved are:

-Tomas Plekanec- Not only has he shown he can produce but he can play in all situations of the game.

-Alex Kovalev- It has been night and day with Kovy, and he has really shown this year that players can bounce back after a bad year and contribute to his team not only on offence but defence as well.

-Andrei Kostitsyn- If only he had played the full season with Pleks and Kovy, would we really know what this kid is capable of, and for him, the future is really bright.

-Roman Hamrlik- What a great deal is he to our team, and it has shown without the Hammer in the line up our team struggles. Good thing Bob picked him up or I don't know what we would be looking like on D right now.

-Sergei Kostitsyn- Just like his brother he shows he has a really bright future. With only 37 games he has 29 points, and for a rookie seeing PP time is rare if your name was not Ovechkin, Crosby or Kane. He also brings an edge to his game that some players who should be bringing it don't. This kid is fearless and skilled.

-Kyle Chipchura- Even though he is not playing with the habs now, he has shown that he is NHL ready, other then his face-off game. Can't wait to see him with us next year.

-Tom Kostopoulos- He isn't the biggest guy on the ice sometimes, but he does bring energy and lots of it. Is a big team player and that's what I like most about him.

-Josh Gorges- Who would of thought by this time last year he would have a regular spot in the line up. We know he wont put up big numbers but his positional game is awesome, and has improved greatly since the beginning of the season.

-Francis Bouillion- I am even surprised I am putting him in here but he has really shown he can step up his game when needed. Also not the biggest guy but he's not shy of throwing hits or getting his nose dirty. Him and Gorges have shown awesome improvement from their time playing together.

-Mark Streit- Is an awesome jack of all trades players and I'm glad we can throw him into any position. Has shown he can run the power play on the back end and shows we don't just need Souray's shot to be successful on the PP.

-Carey Price- At 20 years old he has been given the #1 goalie duties and he has shown he can handle it(other then last night, but things happen). I am so happy we have him in our organization and I think he can be that goaltender that we have been missing for many years.

The In-between guys are:

-Andrei Markov- Now I'm not saying that he has not improved because he has defiantly took the spot of Souray. He has been awesome but then again he has disappeared as well.

-Saku Koivu- We all know how great he is and what not, has shown greatness and times and has also been invisible. I would just wish he could find his game and get back to what we know he is capable of.

-Christopher Higgins- Now this is hard for me because he is one of my favourite players on the habs. But he was awesome at the beginning of the season, and as of late it looks like his game has lost a step or something. Like Koivu and Markov, I just would like to see consistently out of them.

-Mike Komisarek- Man I love this guy, he hits everything and plays with his heart. He has show by example what it means to win games by blocking shots but he has also show that when he is off his game he is a none factor.

-Steve Begin-Love the energy he has had all season, but han't played a lot since coming back from his injury.

-Patrice Brisebois-I think he was just brought in to mentor the younger D, OB and Gorges, just like most of the other has shown some good signs but has failed petty bad too.

Least Improved/Non-existent:

-Bryan Smolinski- Bob thought he would bring in a shutdown centre to mentor Chips but it turned our that Chips was better then him already. Have not been impressed with him at all this year.

-Guillaume Latendresse- I don't know but you guys, but didn't it say on the website that he worked on his speed during the offseason? I haven't seen anything that shows that he has improved. Has looked lost from the beginning of the season, has also show some brightness but hides under a rock for weeks. He needs to start using his big frame to his advantage and start hitting the net when he has the chance, I don't mean scoring but I just mean getting a shot on net and not fanning, or passing it away.

- Michael Ryder- I am depressed, as some are on here that Ryder has had a rough season. It is just sad to see a back-to-back 30 goal score have such a hard time scoring.

-Mathieu Dandenault- Its not his play on the ice that bothers me this season, but his office attitude. To come out and say he is mad about sitting is sad, and he should have kept it to himself and Carbs.

To early to tell guys:

-Maxim Lapierre- I like that he is always trying to agravate the other team, but one of these days someone is going to get him good. would like him to play his game and use his speed more.

-Ryan O' Byrne- I like the size he brings to the table but like others has had his ups and downs, but has been steady as of late.

-Mikhail Grabovski- When he played early on in the season he was a non-factor in most games, but since being called up again he has been playing great.

I think that is pretty much everyone, and I would love to hear what others have to say about the players too.

Guest overlords

Great thread man.

Kovalev, kostitsyn, komisarek, gorges all get my vote for most improved.

least improved for me goes to higgins. He's bugged me all year, can't hit open nets and like someone else said, ' skates around skirmishes as if they're beneath him'. He needs to become more of an on-ice example to lead his teammates.

Guest Brisebois
-Sergei Kostitsyn- Just like his brother he shows he has a really bright future. With only 37 games he has 29 points, and for a rookie seeing PP time is rare if your name was not Ovechkin, Crosby or Kane. He also brings an edge to his game that some players who should be bringing it don't. This kid is fearless and skilled.

To early to tell guys:

-Maxim Lapierre- I like that he is always trying to agravate the other team, but one of these days someone is going to get him good. would like him to play his game and use his speed more.

Sergei Kostitsyn just has 18 points in 37 games. While I still think he's doing a great job, he's nowhere near the point production you mentioned.

I also don't understand how it is too early for you to know what category Maxim Lapierre is in. He even played 3 more games than Sergei Kostitsyn.

Anyway, good threat with some nice thoughts. ;)

Guest Eye_Heart_Gorges26

The Sharks guys last night had even said that Josh has been quite improved from the start of the season for y'all. And from what I've been able to watch on the TV, yes he has. Last night I saw some stuff by him that I was very impressed with. Minus letting Cheechoo by for one of the goals.

Guest 77Bourque77
Sergei Kostitsyn just has 18 points in 37 games. While I still think he's doing a great job, he's nowhere near the point production you mentioned.

I also don't understand how it is too early for you to know what category Maxim Lapierre is in. He even played 3 more games than Sergei Kostitsyn.

Anyway, good threat with some nice thoughts. ;)

yup sorry lol for some reason i always look at the wrong collum, but i see more out of sergei then laps because sergei is doing things that he souldnt be doing like fighting where as laps should be doing more other then just mouthing off to players, that is the only reason i am not sure about him yet, he hasnt put his money were his mouth is sort to speak.

Guest Brisebois
yup sorry lol for some reason i always look at the wrong collum, but i see more out of sergei then laps because sergei is doing things that he souldnt be doing like fighting where as laps should be doing more other then just mouthing off to players, that is the only reason i am not sure about him yet, he hasnt put his money were his mouth is sort to speak.

Yeah you're right. Sergei has given this team more than Lapierre. He has more talent and will be a top 6 forward in the near future.

Guest GoHabsGo57

Plekanec, Kovalev, Andrei Kostitsyn, Gorges are the most improved IMO

Michael Ryder is the least improved IMO although he's picked up his game a bit in the last week.

Guest TORHABSFAN

I think I will do top 5 for each. Not including players who where not Habs last year because there is noting to imporve on.

Most improved

1. Alex Kovalev

2. Andrei Kostitsyn

3. Mike Komisarek

4. Tomas Plekanec

5. Josh Georges

Least improved

1. Micheal Ryder

2. Saku Koivu

3. Chris Higgins

4. Mathieu Dandineult

5. Guiullume Latendresse

Guest habsrule4eva3089

MOST IMPROVED : Andrei K ... also ( GUY CARBONNEAU ) for the way he has been coaching this season. Alotta kudos to him, he's one of the main reasons we've done so well this season.

least : Guy Latendresse, i should be in the nhl instead of him. He shoulda been dealt at the trade deadline. He isn't part of the package of speed and skill that the Habs are trying to build.

Most improved:

1. Alex Kovalev: We knew what he could do but wasn't cutting it last year. He is this season!
  2. Josh Gorges: This guy went from sitting in the stands last year to getting a regular shift and killing penalties.
  3. Andrei Kostitsyn: He is a big reason why that line is what it is. He's a Kovalev in the making.
  4. Tomas Plekanec: His progression really started in the second half of last year. He just kept the same level.

I don't like the least improved category. The team is doing well and I'd rather try focusing on the positives instead. God knows we've had enough negative in recent years.

I'll do this a bit differently, based on my expectations:

Exceeded my expectations:

Kovalev

A.Kostitsyn

Plekanek

S. Kostitsyn

Komisarek

Markov

Gorges

Bouillion

Lapierre

Chipchura

Streit

Price

Met my expectations:

Hamrlik

Kostopolous

O'Byrne

Dandenault

Huet

Failed my expectations:

Higgins

Koivu (only slightly)

Begin

Ryder

Brisebois

Grabvoski (at least in first stint)

Smolinski

Latendresse

Not ranking Halak or Locke due to limited time playing for big club.

Guest olddude
Most improved:
  1. Alex Kovalev: We knew what he could do but wasn't cutting it last year. He is this season!
  2. Josh Gorges: This guy went from sitting in the stands last year to getting a regular shift and killing penalties.
  3. Andrei Kostitsyn: He is a big reason why that line is what it is. He's a Kovalev in the making.
  4. Tomas Plekanec: His progression really started in the second half of last year. He just kept the same level.
I don't like the least improved category. The team is doing well and I'd rather try focusing on the positives instead. God knows we've had enough negative in recent years.

I was going to go with TORHABSFAN's rankings but I'm glad I read down to the end first. I agree with not listing "least improved" and sticking with the positives. Let the people who get paid to, worry about the negatives it's less stressfull. ;)

Guest Me_Habs_Fan

Kovalev

A.Kostitsyn

Plekanek

S. Kostitsyn

Komisarek

Markov

Gorges

Bouillion

Lapierre

Chipchura

Streit

Price

Met my expectations:

Hamrlik

Kostopolous

O'Byrne

Dandenault

Huet

Failed my expectations:

Higgins

Koivu (only slightly)

Begin

Ryder

Brisebois

Smolinski

Latendresse

Very close to my expectations / failed expectations ... etc.

Is it just me, or is Grabvoski passing and etc, almost all the time instead

trying to do more on his own? If I'm right, doesn't that show some lack

of confidence?

Anyway ...

Kovalev

A.Kostitsyn

Plekanek

S. Kostitsyn

Streit

====

Failed my expectations:

Higgins

Koivu (agree - Slightly)

Begin

Ryder

Brisebois (Big Time)

Grabvoski (Slightly)

Smolinski (Big Time)

====

All for now ...

Guest overlords

Kovalev

A.Kostitsyn

Plekanek

S. Kostitsyn

Komisarek

Markov

Gorges

Bouillion

Lapierre

Chipchura

Streit

Price

Met my expectations:

Hamrlik

Kostopolous

O'Byrne

Dandenault

Huet

Failed my expectations:

Higgins

Koivu (only slightly)

Begin

Ryder

Brisebois

Smolinski

Latendresse

dandenault met your expectations? how low were your expectations? :lol:

Guest TheFly

Most Improved: Andrei Kostitsyn, after being benched and bounced up and down through the lines at the begining of the year Andrei has show what happens a team has patience in a players development.

Least Improved Guillaume Latendresse, why, because not only has his development come to a hold, it's starting to go in reverse. Yes he has 14 goals, but unless the puck is on the goal line he cant score. This is a player struggling to find his identity, and good stint in hamilton, and a ton of patience will be of great benefit to Gui.

Most improved - in no particular order

# 27 Kovalev - compared to last year , absolutley

# 8 Komisareck - keeps getting better each year

# 14 Plekanecs - ditto

# 26 Gorges - yup - I thought this guy was useless at the start

# 46 A Kostitsyn - just goes to show what giving a player the opportunity will do

Least improved

# 84 - Lats - I don't have the privelege of watching many game but when I do he doesn't seem to stand out in a partiulcar way , good or bad . He doesn't seem to be any better than last year . He skates like he's in sand

Stuck in a rut

# 21 Higgins - maybe people were expecting far too much from him. He is a good to very good two way player but possibly will never be 30 to 40 goal scorer some want him to be

Having a bad year

# 73 - Ryder , the poor guy's having rotten luck this year, for whatever eason

Guest Onzeee
MOST IMPROVED : Andrei K ... also ( GUY CARBONNEAU ) for the way he has been coaching this season. Alotta kudos to him, he's one of the main reasons we've done so well this season.

least : Guy Latendresse, i should be in the nhl instead of him. He shoulda been dealt at the trade deadline. He isn't part of the package of speed and skill that the Habs are trying to build.

yes haha great point, Carbonneau needs to be giving some recognition in here for his improvement

Guest ComeBackStanley
Most improved - in no particular order

# 27 Kovalev - compared to last year , absolutley

# 8 Komisareck - keeps getting better each year

# 14 Plekanecs - ditto

# 26 Gorges - yup - I thought this guy was useless at the start

# 46 A Kostitsyn - just goes to show what giving a player the opportunity will do

Least improved

# 84 - Lats - I don't have the privelege of watching many game but when I do he doesn't seem to stand out in a partiulcar way , good or bad . He doesn't seem to be any better than last year . He skates like he's in sand

Stuck in a rut

# 21 Higgins - maybe people were expecting far too much from him. He is a good to very good two way player but possibly will never be 30 to 40 goal scorer some want him to be

Having a bad year

# 73 - Ryder , the poor guy's having rotten luck this year, for whatever eason

i have to say i completely agree with this list.

i would also say pleasant surprise is Hamrlik (however you spell his name). I knew he was going to be good when we got him, but I am really happy about how he helps out on defense.

To Higgins, i think if he can put up 20-25 goals a year it'll be good...was hoping he'ld be a 30 goal player but i think if he's helping out iwth the coring that's just as fine, he seems to have steped up his game a bit as of late, compared to the beginning/middle of the season, but yeah i still have confidence in him and agree with Ryder that its just not his year...

latendresse and smolinksi i'ld say are the two guys i'm least impressed with, sure they've had their moments to shine, but that's about it... moments. but then again the last game i watched was the San Jose one which made them seem even worse...so maybe i'll come back on that one in a few games

But that said. i have to say the most improved is THE TEAM! they seem to be playing together alot better than last year and i would have to say that most seem to have fun out there on the ice and sometimes that's the best way to improve, remember its a game and to have fun and sometimes that's when you play your best

Stuck in a rut

That's the thing. Like I listed him as "failing expectation", but it's not that I feel he's doing particularly bad, it's just that I, like others, were thinking of him as this offensive, 40 goal scorer. Now I'm more convinced he's destined to be a second liner or very good offensively gifted checker - which is what he was drafted as. He's been pretty good overall, it's just I think our expectations were a little too high. Plus there was the fact he had such a great start in the NHL and exceeded expectations so much his rookie season, we expected him to keep improving, but at least offensively he's seemed to have stalled.

Guest 77Bourque77
That's the thing. Like I listed him as "failing expectation", but it's not that I feel he's doing particularly bad, it's just that I, like others, were thinking of him as this offensive, 40 goal scorer. Now I'm more convinced he's destined to be a second liner or very good offensively gifted checker - which is what he was drafted as. He's been pretty good overall, it's just I think our expectations were a little too high. Plus there was the fact he had such a great start in the NHL and exceeded expectations so much his rookie season, we expected him to keep improving, but at least offensively he's seemed to have stalled.

very very true. i dont mind if hes not putting big numbers up, but if he can start playing like he did at the start of this season i would be happy, he has just slowed down abit.

Archived