The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Is Anyone Else Bothered By Rds??

Guest TheFly

Like the title says, is anyone bothered by their biases towards players from the province of Quebec. Like every time we play a team with players from here they call them Quebecoise, even if they're born on the Island of Montreal, but yesterday during the San Jose they never once said that Torrey Mitchell was Quebecoise, they called him a Montrealais because he speaks english. Is anyone else bothered by this? They make it seem that you can only be Quebecoise if your french. And I hate when they say "Le Canada Anglais" when refering to all the other provinces.

I understand that they want to promote francophone players as their viewers are probably 95% francophone, but they make guys like Pascal Dupuis and Eric Perrin seem like superstars who never make mistakes, but yet they nit-pick and over analyze every player that is not from the PROVINCE of Quebec.

So my question is...Should Politics be involved in sports? Discuss!

Guest futon

No, but Quebec politicians have called out Koivu for not speaking french, demand an Irish pub not have bilingual signs up in the pub, and have said in some circles you have to speak french if you live there. It smacks of the racial thing where people say speak english or leave the country, yet it is acceptable. I disagree entirely. French culture can thrive without being nasty as the politicians get.

Guest QbGamer

Yes i am bothered with the channel, as i would prefer if it was in english.

im stuck watching the opposing teams feeds all the time as there in english and there always biased towards the team were playing against. Which sucks :)

Guest Bobineau
Like the title says, is anyone bothered by their biases towards players from the province of Quebec. Like every time we play a team with players from here they call them Quebecoise, even if they're born on the Island of Montreal, but yesterday during the San Jose they never once said that Torrey Mitchell was Quebecoise, they called him a Montrealais because he speaks english. Is anyone else bothered by this? They make it seem that you can only be Quebecoise if your french. And I hate when they say "Le Canada Anglais" when refering to all the other provinces.

I understand that they want to promote francophone players as their viewers are probably 95% francophone, but they make guys like Pascal Dupuis and Eric Perrin seem like superstars who never make mistakes, but yet they nit-pick and over analyze every player that is not from the PROVINCE of Quebec.

Of course Torrey Mitchell is not Québecoise, he's a dude... :rolleyes:

Guest Greek Hab

I honestly don't care because it's normal. So just live with it.

But I don't agree about shunning non-French players. :angry:

Hey, at least they talked to Mitchell! :lol: En francais aussi! :lol:

AND FOR THE RECORD, I consider myself to be a Ex-Montrealer...not an Ex-Quebecker...so calling Mitchell a Montrealer is pretty much a compliment. ;)

Guest overlords
I honestly don't care because it's normal. So just live with it.

But I don't agree about shunning non-French players. :angry:

Hey, at least they talked to Mitchell! :lol: En francais aussi! :lol:

AND FOR THE RECORD, I consider myself to be a Ex-Montrealer...not an Ex-Quebecker...so calling Mitchell a Montrealer is pretty much a compliment. ;)

well i'm both. Geographically and culturally, ethnically, every which way you wanna put it i guess. But i'll call myself a montrealer to anyone outside the province way before quebecois, not that i don't have pride ( i have a lot of it ;), it's just that montreal is one of the main if not the main cultural, technological, and economical region in canada (if not north american [new york is overrated ;)])

Guest habs_fan1160

Well, since RDS is a French channel, I'd say no, they're not bias.

How often do you see a French speaking player (speaking French), interviewed on TSN or CBC? Never. How often do you see a Russian player being interviewed in their native tongue on CBC, RDS, TSN etc? Never.

RDS is a French channel, it's the language of the station, so with that they can interview as many French speaking players as they want.

That's like taking another French station and calling it bias for not playing English movies. Or taking an English station and saying their bias for not playing French movies.

Guest 1stroundpick

Do you think that watching the Leafs play the Habs on CBC has no Bias towards the leafs? My beef and sorry if its a little off the topic is that RDS has got the Market for the Habs games and living out in Alberta I dont get to see my beloved habs as much as I would like. TSN will show Curling & Taped Poker while the Habs are playing a Top 4 team in the league on RDS. It doesnt make any sense. If you want to catch the Habs on Saturday night ( CBC ) they better be playing the leafs or they wont be on & If CBC is showing the Habs they will cut right to the Leafs game the second the buzzer sounds but when the Leafs play there is a 25% chance they will show us the end of the Habs game.

P.S> I say 3 cheers to any English speaking Quebecer for putting up with the French in Quebec and the English Canada because they get sandwiched by both.....Ignorance and Racism is the worst Evil. Peace!

Guest Felquiste

This is not a question of politics. In Québec we consider english-canada as another cultural entity that is not ours. This is also not a question of promoting certain players. They give the viewers what they want after all. Let's see that in another perspective. I will assume that you are canadian (althrough I may be wrong). If someone call you an american you would surely be insulted because you are not. Canada is a cultural and a social entity and America is another, right? So here in Québec we are a nation with our own social and cultural entity and we identify ourselves as Québecois before anything else.

Also I don't this they called Torrey Mitchell a Montrealer BECAUSE he is anglophone. I think the commentator (whoever it was) just wanted to be more precise and said the name of the city instead of saying the name of the province.

Oh and also: If you say Québecoise wou're talking about a woman. you must say Québecois when you are talking about a male. ;)

Guest ComeBackStanley

i do agree that it is annoying when they put a player on a pedestal just because he's french, but otherwise it is a french network and obviously its always fun to see how far players from around here have made it. For a truly biased station...move to the CBC...or more specifically Don Cherry...

as for the whole english-canada thing...well that's just the way canada is defined. at least they don't just say canada vs quebec. The fact that they put "english" in front means they at least recognise that there is a french-canada as well. And i think that's much more of a culture thing...even though i see myself as a canadian, i do like my "french canadian" background and "quebecois" culture.

but yeah i think there will be some bias on any sport chanels when its about the team, and in canada in general we'll be biased towards players who were born here.

but otherwise...should sport and politics mix : not unless your teams are built specifically of players from that hometown, which obviously they aren't, so no. There would be no reason to have politics, in hockey, if half your players are european and often go back to europe for the summer. and plus only play "home games" for like half the season

Guest TheFly
This is not a question of politics. In Québec we consider english-canada as another cultural entity that is not ours. This is also not a question of promoting certain players. They give the viewers what they want after all. Let's see that in another perspective. I will assume that you are canadian (althrough I may be wrong). If someone call you an american you would surely be insulted because you are not. Canada is a cultural and a social entity and America is another, right? So here in Québec we are a nation with our own social and cultural entity and we identify ourselves as Québecois before anything else.

Also I don't this they called Torrey Mitchell a Montrealer BECAUSE he is anglophone. I think the commentator (whoever it was) just wanted to be more precise and said the name of the city instead of saying the name of the province.

Oh and also: If you say Québecoise wou're talking about a woman. you must say Québecois when you are talking about a male. ;)

Actually I'm half Italian half Québecois,(Don't assume that since I'm bothered by the issue that I'm canadian, many francophones have problems with as well ;) ) it was just a typo. I just hate the biases that Pierre and Yvon show towards certain players. Listen to 730 on the radio, those guys call the game as it is, if only I could put the game on mute and play the radio while they're player.

Second you cannot base a culture and a soceity on a language. We are all canadian living under a united Canada, and I think Quebec should show support to many Anglophones and other cultures for helping Quebec to make it name, because it's the diversity of montreal(culturally) that makes Quebec so well known. Trsut me I know, I major in History and Politics of Quebec ;)

Guest Felquiste
Second you cannot base a culture and a soceity on a language. We are all canadian living under a united Canada, and I think Quebec should show support to many Anglophones and other cultures for helping Quebec to make it name, because it's the diversity of montreal(culturally) that makes Quebec so well known. Trsut me I know, I major in History and Politics of Quebec ;)

In fact, Québec is culturally and socially his own nation BECAUSE of his language. You say you cannot base a culture on that when the majority of the cultures in the world are based on THAT difference. It is a fact that practically every Québecois consider themselves as Québecois before considering themselve as Canadian and that a large amount of them just don't consider themselves Canadians. So it's normal that the Québecois want to see their own homeboys being interviewed during timeouts. Just like CBC does it with canadians.

Guest TheFly
In fact, Québec is culturally and socially his own nation BECAUSE of his language. You say you cannot base a culture on that when the majority of the cultures in the world are based on THAT difference. It is a fact that practically every Québecois consider themselves as Québecois before considering themselve as Canadian and that a large amount of them just don't consider themselves Canadians.

Well than you can say that Montrealers have their own distinct cultural and society, because we have our own culture and way of living as well here on the Island. Montreal has a European flare that you would not see in the rest of Quebec. In fact, once you step foot off the Island of Montreal(excluding Laval) you'll see that it seems like a whole different province. In that case I could consider myself a Montrealer before I could ever consider myself a Québecois(even though I am half) because I posses that European influence that can be seen all over montreal, from Pointe Aux Trembles to Westmount from the way people dress or the slang they use when they talk, in fact we have our own foods as well(Montreal Bagels). Many Québecois would say that once you leave Québec, Canada feels like a whole different country, I say once I leave the Island of Montreal, I'm in a whole different province. If we can have Québec nationalism, why not Montreal nationalism, because living on the Island of Montreal brings a whole different culture all together than it would living in Northern Quebec cities.

Guest TheFly

P.S as a side note, I am not in anyway trying to defend you, infact I actually admire your pride, because many do lack it in the world today, again like I said, I study this, and this is very interesting to discuss and get different opinions on it because I speak to many Quebecers(both english and french, because being a Quebecer is not only being french) and it's interesting to see the different views on this subject.

Guest Felquiste
Well than you can say that Montrealers have their own distinct cultural and society, because we have our own culture and way of living as well here on the Island. Montreal has a European flare that you would not see in the rest of Quebec. In fact, once you step foot off the Island of Montreal(excluding Laval) you'll see that it seems like a whole different province. In that case I could consider myself a Montrealer before I could ever consider myself a Québecois(even though I am half) because I posses that European influence that can be seen all over montreal, from Pointe Aux Trembles to Westmount from the way people dress or the slang they use when they talk, in fact we have our own foods as well(Montreal Bagels). Many Québecois would say that once you leave Québec, Canada feels like a whole different country, I say once I leave the Island of Montreal, I'm in a whole different province. If we can have Québec nationalism, why not Montreal nationalism, because living on the Island of Montreal brings a whole different culture all together than it would living in Northern Quebec cities.

I see your point but Québec city also have that European flare. And when i'm talking about culture, I'm talking about Québec's music. That is sold everywhere in Québec (even in Montréal). I'm talking about TV shows that are listened by viewers from all over Québec (including Montréal). Québec's movies, litterature, etc. Of course Montréal have his own lifestyle compared to the rest of Québec. Every big cities in the world does. Montréal also have his own cultural minorities that mix themselves with Québec's culture. Italian in St-Léonard, Anglophone in Westmount, etc. But Montréal is not a cultural society because it does shares the same culture with the rest of Québec. There is a cultural communication between both. Most of the culture take birth in Montréal before exporting itself to the rest of Québec.

Now I think this thread is slipping ;) I'm feeling that the moderators are coming for us :o

Guest TheFly
I see your point but Québec city also have that European flare. And when i'm talking about culture, I'm talking about Québec's music. That is sold everywhere in Québec (even in Montréal). I'm talking about TV shows that are listened by viewers from all over Québec (including Montréal). Québec's movies, litterature, etc. Of course Montréal have his own lifestyle compared to the rest of Québec. Every big cities in the world does. Montréal also have his own cultural minorities that mix themselves with Québec's culture. Italian in St-Léonard, Anglophone in Westmount, etc. But Montréal is not a cultural society because it does shares the same culture with the rest of Québec. There is a cultural communication between both. Most of the culture take birth in Montréal before exporting itself to the rest of Québec.

Now I think this thread is slipping ;) I'm feeling that the moderators are coming for us :o

Yah they'll come head hunting, back to main point about rds, the thing that bothers me the most, is not the fact that they interview only francophone players, the problem is that they boast them way too high(I understand why), but making guys like Pascal Dupuis seem like he's Mark Messier is just ridiculous. Just yesterday against the Pheonix game they went on and on about Joel Perrault it was actually quite fustrating, actually it was very fustrating. I listen to the play by play, not an analysis on every little aspect of players. It's not the first time, I'll never forget the Columbus game, they wouldn't stop talking about Pascal Leclaire, it was quite ridiculous, they would show replays while the game was in progress just to show his lateral movements. Dont get me wrong I love Leclaire, and I think he should have made the all star game, but they go on and on about guys like Eric Perrin, guys who are a dime a dozen, and they boast them so high. Like I said, sometimes I just want to put my T.V on mute and listen to the guys on 730.

Whenever there's a chance to watch a game on an English station, I don't hesitate to watch it, not because I like it better(infact I don't) It's just that I cannot stand the protection agaisnt francophone players, they should relax, every player makes their mistakes, a prime example is Latendresse, often times they have to explain that he took a penalty because he had no choice, or often just ignoring when he makes bad plays, or by playing it off by saying "beau jeu par le defenseur." It's just fustrating, it's not a direct attack to french media, but to Pierre and Yvon specificly.

p.s sorry for spelling errors as I wrote this with haste.

Guest Felquiste
a prime example is Latendresse, often times they have to explain that he took a penalty because he had no choice, or often just ignoring when he makes bad plays, or by playing it off by saying "beau jeu par le defenseur." It's just fustrating, it's not a direct attack to french media, but to Pierre and Yvon specificly.

I have the feeling that they are doing that to help Latendresse. Seriously, he's having a bad season this year. And he's only 21 and it is his 2nd season (they say the 2dn season in the NHL is the most difficult). So they just protect him a little bit from the fans. Because Montréal crowd can be quite harsh with their homeboys.

Guest TheFly
I have the feeling that they are doing that to help Latendresse. Seriously, he's having a bad season this year. And he's only 21 and it is his 2nd season (they say the 2dn season in the NHL is the most difficult). So they just protect him a little bit from the fans. Because Montréal crowd can be quite harsh with their homeboys.

Yes I am aware as I am part of the crowd that is bashing Latendresse, but I dont do it because I think he's a bad player because I think he will be a very important part of the future, but the more bad games he has the more he'll lose his confidence which is everything in sports and we might actually ruin his development, right now the kids confidence must be rock bottom. Sure sending him to the AHL will put him down, but once he finds his game, there's no turning back, he'll be a force.

As for Rds, like I said my biggest beef is with Pierre and Yvon, Pierre does make the game exciting but makes way to many mistakes, he's the Bob Cole of Rds. As for Yvon, yes I understand he's been around for a while and knows a lot, he actually does, but his over-analysis of plays is beyond ridiculous. I used to think Pierre McGuire was bad, Pedneault is much worse. Sometimes his over analysis just looks like nit-picking. Especially when teams score goals against the habs, he always has too look for someone to blame(The usual suspects Koivu, Smolinski, Ryder), if you played hockey like I have you know that sometimes goals just happen and that it's easy to look at replays and find faults during the game, but on the ice it's much different, sometimes goals happen, they're not always someones fault, but somehow with Yvon someone is always to blame, the two are just way too negative.

Guest Bobineau
Yah they'll come head hunting, back to main point about rds, the thing that bothers me the most, is not the fact that they interview only francophone players, the problem is that they boast them way too high(I understand why), but making guys like Pascal Dupuis seem like he's Mark Messier is just ridiculous. Just yesterday against the Pheonix game they went on and on about Joel Perrault it was actually quite fustrating, actually it was very fustrating. I listen to the play by play, not an analysis on every little aspect of players. It's not the first time, I'll never forget the Columbus game, they wouldn't stop talking about Pascal Leclaire, it was quite ridiculous, they would show replays while the game was in progress just to show his lateral movements. Dont get me wrong I love Leclaire, and I think he should have made the all star game, but they go on and on about guys like Eric Perrin, guys who are a dime a dozen, and they boast them so high. Like I said, sometimes I just want to put my T.V on mute and listen to the guys on 730.

Whenever there's a chance to watch a game on an English station, I don't hesitate to watch it, not because I like it better(infact I don't) It's just that I cannot stand the protection agaisnt francophone players, they should relax, every player makes their mistakes, a prime example is Latendresse, often times they have to explain that he took a penalty because he had no choice, or often just ignoring when he makes bad plays, or by playing it off by saying "beau jeu par le defenseur." It's just fustrating, it's not a direct attack to french media, but to Pierre and Yvon specificly.

p.s sorry for spelling errors as I wrote this with haste.

If RDS doesn't focus on players from Quebec who esle is gone do it? Don Cherry? :rolleyes:

RDS was created for french speaking people in Quebec so get over it, if you hate it so much switch to TSN.

Guest chromedome

That's just it!!! You are not a nation!The only nation you really are is Canadian! Other than that,you are just a province like the rest of us are until Canada decides to let you sink or swim on your own.I have no problem with accepting the fact that the Province of Quebec has cultural differences that they should be proud of .If it is not good enough that Quebec is accepted as a seperate culture within this "whole",then perhaps it might be right that she becomes a nation on her own and finds a way to fund that dream without expecting Canada to prop her up!

Guest Habanero

Thought I would weigh in on the debate b/c my opinion is so important... haha :)

I live in Western Canada (Calgary), (my mom moved back to Quebec where she grew up recently) I don't understand very much French. RDS never really bothered me b/c of the whole French player thing. I did think it was kind of cool how a regional channel focused on it's regional players. I mean I would love to hear about hockey players around the NHL if they were from the area I grew up. I thought it was actually a good thing.

I was surprised how many English interviews were done on RDS actually.

As for the dude going off on how awesome Montreal is and is the leader of culture and whatever else.... Get a clue. He's starting to sound like he's from Toronto. I love visiting Montreal, and I readily admit I enjoy the differences it offers. But whatever all Canadian cities are vastly different from eachother, (I used to live in TO too) and making claims like that just goes to show how small your world is.

I like RDS better than CBC. Now that is crap.

Guest Felquiste
That's just it!!! You are not a nation!The only nation you really are is Canadian! Other than that,you are just a province like the rest of us are until Canada decides to let you sink or swim on your own.I have no problem with accepting the fact that the Province of Quebec has cultural differences that they should be proud of .If it is not good enough that Quebec is accepted as a seperate culture within this "whole",then perhaps it might be right that she becomes a nation on her own and finds a way to fund that dream without expecting Canada to prop her up!

Please don't be offensive and insulting and try to calm down. Maybe in english the word ''Nation'' does only applies in the legal sense of the word. Maybe that's the reason why you reacted so much. But I was talking about the cultural sense of the word. In french the word ''Nation'' means a ethnic group of individuals that shares the same language and/or religion and/or culture. Many symbols of Québec have the word ''national'' attached to it: Québec's parliament is called Assemblée Nationale (National Assembly), Québec city is called Capitale Nationale (National Capital), the flag of Québec is also called Drapeau National (National Flag).

Also, another word to describe native american in english is First Nations even if they are not a ''nation'' in the legal sense of the word.

So yes I am legally of canadian nationality but that's only papers and bureaucratics. And no I a not a nation.....I can't be a nation on my own ;) .....well maybe if I eat a little bit more.

Archived