The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

New Jersey @ Montreal | Mar. 11 2008 | Final: 4-0 Habs

RicochetII

Guest Ricochet
hellbellcopybm1.png

The Devils will be looking to raise a little hell when they come into town to face the Canadiens on Tuesday.

For the Canadiens, it will just be good to be home. They were outplayed for most of their western road trip and burnt in more ways than one, but still managed to escape with 4 points. Meanwhile, the Devils have been heating up and have jumped ahead into first place in the conference standings. The Devils are 7-2-1 in their last 10 games and are 1 point in front of Montreal going into tonight's game. Montreal is 6-4-0 in their last 10, but have a 2-1-0 record against New Jersey this year.

Winning in regulation will put Montreal into 1st place in the conference again. While a loss in regulation leaves them vulnerable in their division. If Ottawa could capitalize, Montreal would find themselves second to Ottawa in the division and 5th place in the conference standings. Montreal will need a better overall performance to put the Devils back down and a little help from the Bruins to hold off Ottawa. Boston is also creeping up in the standings however, and could find themselves within 3 points of the Division lead.

The race is uncomfortably close and the team that blinks first could find themselves in trouble. Tonight is an opportunity to stare down the competition and we have to keep our eyes open both ways for the rest of the season.

All I can say is, if that's the best the West has, then they will be in for a rude awakening when we travel West again. My guess is in late May. :o

Goals, Goals, and more Goals on ol Marty!

Go Canadiens Go

Guest Ricochet

I don't understand the picture?

NHL.com game preview...

The Montreal Canadiens failed to take over the Eastern Conference lead over the weekend, but they're hoping to move ahead of the New Jersey Devils for the top spot when the teams finish their regular-season series on Tuesday night at Bell Centre.

Montreal (38-23-9) opens a four-game homestand after going 2-2-0 on a road trip that concluded Sunday with a 3-1 loss to Anaheim. Alex Kovalev scored his team-leading 30th goal and rookie Carey Price made 34 saves for the Canadiens, who gave up two third-period goals, including one short-handed.

"It's tough to give up a goal in the third period. It's even tougher to give up two, because you know you were so close the whole game," Price said.

Price, who assumed the No. 1 role after Cristobal Huet was traded to Washington late last month, is 4-2-0 with a 2.51 goals-against average in his last six starts.

The Canadiens, two points ahead of Ottawa in the Northeast Division, are 9-4-0 since a three-game skid from Feb. 7-12. Montreal hopes to build on this recent surge and return to the playoffs for the third time in four seasons after missing out in 2006-07.

Before reaching the postseason, however, Montreal will look to beat New Jersey (40-23-6), which maintained its one-point lead in East with the Canadiens' most recent defeat.

The Canadiens hope to win the season series from the Devils for the first time since taking two of three contests in 1992-93 en route to their last Stanley Cup title.

Montreal posted a 2-1 home victory on March 1 in the teams' most recent meeting, giving it back-to-back wins against the Devils for the first time since Nov. 11, 1992-Jan. 20, 1993. The Canadiens haven't won than two straight in the all-time series since a four-game run, spanning two seasons from Oct. 10, 1988-Oct. 13, 1989.

It might be hard for the Canadiens to move closer to that mark with Martin Brodeur in net for the Devils. Brodeur made 42 saves in his 27th straight start Saturday, leading New Jersey to a 2-1 victory at Toronto.

Zach Parise scored his second goal of the game with 48.3 seconds left in regulation for the Devils, winners of three straight.

New Jersey, one point in front of Pittsburgh in the Atlantic Division, is heading toward its 11th consecutive playoff appearance.

Brodeur, who has stopped 104 of 107 shots during the Devils' win streak, is 12-3-3 with a 1.91 GAA in 18 starts since Feb. 2.

"Marty, obviously, has been unbelievable," Parise said on the Devils' official Web site prior to Monday's practice. "He's one of the main reasons we are where we are. We like the way we've been playing, and the way we've been winning games lately."

Brodeur is 1-2-0 with a 2.02 GAA and a shutout in three games versus Montreal this season. He is 34-14-0 with five ties, eight shutouts and a 1.76 GAA in 53 all-time meetings.

The Montreal native, who had won four straight games at Bell Centre prior to that March 1 loss, is 14-11-0 with a tie, four shutouts and a 1.77 GAA in 26 starts in his hometown.

Parise - the team leader with 30 goals - has five during a three-game goal-scoring streak. However, he has been kept off the scoresheet in the last two games against the Canadiens since he had a hat trick in the Devils' November win.

Associated Press

Hopefully Plekanec is back and with Kovalev once again we really need him. I'm hoping they put Grabovski on with Koivu I think he will be good for that line, and might get them started to where they were last season. Here's to hoping for a great win over Brodeur!!! Go Price Go!! Go Habs Go!!

Guest arrowsno13
I don't understand the picture?

Take a good look at the picture and see what's in the middle. It's a voodoo doll of Marty. :lol:

Love it! Thanks for making me laugh today!

My two cents:

The defence has been somewhat of a disappointment over the past couple of weeks and Carbs is not impressed.

I am sure he has demanded more defensive support from the entire team 'cept maybe from the PKK line a la 5 on 5.

I have a feeling Komi is going to hurt a few Devs tonight in the process.

Team should be pumped with the idea of:

-taking a season series from the Devs after 15 years.

-taking sole position of 1st in the East (which means no OT or SO win)

-returning home to the greatest, sometimes a bit fickle, fans in the NHL

The team is going to look for more offence after scoring just once against the Ducks. Look for some sparkle in the KHK

line tonight. Have a good feeling about Laps and Lats tonight.

If we can stay away from stupid penalties, keep Parise on a short leash, and put more pressure on Brodeur tonight we will come out victorious.

GO HABS GO!!!!

Guest Greek Hab

These would be my lines for tonight, so we come out firing on all cylinders. We know NJ likes to play defensive, so lets go out on attack full force!

Andrei - Plekanec - Kovalev

Latendresse - Koivu - Sergei

Higgins - Grabovski - Ryder

Begin - Lapierre - Streit

*Kostopoulos, Dandeanult, Smolinski, Brisebois

Markov - Komisarek

Hamrlik - O'Byrne

Bouillon Gorges

Guest d80jcrant
These would be my lines for tonight, so we come out firing on all cylinders. We know NJ likes to play defensive, so lets go out on attack full force!

Markov - Komisarek

Hamrlik - O'Byrne

Bouillon Gorges

Very good lines. I like them a lot. That thrid line certainly has fire power

Guest TORHABSFAN

THIS IS A MASSIVE GAME TONIGHT!!!!! MUST WIN! THE BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR SO FAR!!!

The Battle for the Eastern confrence lead hits the ice at the Bell Centre tonight! Winner gets first place but if we can win not only do we get first place we make a major major statement. Some of us think the New Jersey/Broduer curse is over because we won two games.. I dunno 2 games over such a huge span of games and years can just be a blip a exeption rather then the rule.. but If we win tonight and actualy win the season series 3 games to 1.. then we beat it and you cann call it dead for good. With a win I will have much more faith in our ability to beat the Devils should we meet in the playoffs.. and is we can beat the Devils in the playoffs then we can actualy start to believe in makeing the Cup finals..

Yep a Must win tonight for sure...As is Thursday vs. Ottawa.

If we win these two games we are sitting pretty on top of the North East and the Eastern confrence.. BUT if we lose both games disater!! we are looking at 5th or even 6th as the New York Rangers have tied Ottawa now.

Anyword on Pleks.. We need him. I hate to think of having our two biggest games of the year with out a top line centre.

Guest keithman

Montreal better have slept off their exhaustion and play tonight.

here's hoping for a strong game from the whole team. I hope Pleks is back.

Guest YOYOJim

I really like your lineup Greek.

I had jotted mine down before I read yours, but they are pretty close.

Little uneasy about moving Lats to the Koivu line, but I think the time is right.

Higgins - Koivu - Latandresse (let's get that spark back we saw last year)

A Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev (silly to change)

Begin - Lapierre - Kostopoulos (shutdown line)

S. Kostitsyn - Grabovski - Ryder (Young talent to rejuvinate Ryder)

Markov - Gorges (or Dandenault)

Hamrlik - Boullion

Komisarek - Streit

Defense could be shuffled a bit, but I like to have 1 very strong D on at all times

Guest bigsby

Markov - Komisarek

Hamrlik - O'Byrne

Bouillon Gorges

i like the look of that. could it be the missing pieces to the puzzle?!

huge game and a very tough opponent. brodeur isn't going to let us take this game/series without a fight. tight, smart d, is going to be huge and may the forwards find a way to use their exceptional passing play to get around the tired trap.

(and anyone going to the game...cheer your butts off! :lol: )

WOOHOO!

Guest Greek Hab
i like the look of that. could it be the missing pieces to the puzzle?!

Anything to get the the players going.

Higgins: 0 goals in 6 games

Latendresse: 1 goal in 17 games

Ryder: 1 goal in 9 games

Guest bigsby

brother...can we get that in memo form and have it shipped to carbo ASAP! lol. ( ;) )

Guest HabsMan11

My lines would be

A.Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev

Higgins-Koivu-Latendresse

S.Kostitsyn-Grabovski-Ryder

Streit-Lapierre-Kostopoulos

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne

Bouillon-Gorges

Price

Forgive me if its the exact same thing as one that has been posted, in that case I agree with whoever came up with them first :)

Guest CanadianMike

I also love your lines Greek. I want Higgins and Koivu to play on different lines!

But alas don't think your lines can work. Pleks and Begin weren't at practice today Team990. Looks like Tom gets to play again (maybe). :)

Guest habsgal

Markov - Komisarek

Hamrlik - O'Byrne

Bouillon Gorges

Your job is not finished - forward that to Carbo. :D A lot of nucleus in those lines.

I have three hopes for tonight (aside from a win of course). I hope that the boys have their collective legs tonight. They are playing every second night now for a while. I hope that Carbo et al worked hardy hard on the face-off's during their morning practice. And God I hope that Pleks was under the bankies the last couple of nights and is rearing to go this evening.

GO HABS GO!!!

Guest arrowsno13

How about a Red Bull and vodka just before face-off?

Archived