The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Numbers On Uniforms Today..

Raimu

Guest Raimu

Now, this could be incredibly nit-picky and traditionalist (especially coming from me, a 20 year old not old enough to remember the glory days).

But when I first started watching hockey again a few years back, I really loved all the new-look Jerseys, Nashville, Calgary, Colorado all the really modern and over-the top looking jerseys seemed so cool to me.... however, the appeal wore off... quickly, and I realized how the timeless jerseys of the Red Wings, Bruins (not the ones they were wearing last season of corse, those were ugly as sin) Rangers, Blackhawks, and most jerseys worn by teams in the early 90's were my favorite designs (I didn't bother Mentioning Montreal because thier uniform has always been my favortie) These sweaters have stood the test of time, Uniforms like Nashvilles, I thought it was cool at first, but then after a year I realize its really ugly and I just want that eyesore gone... where as Montreal, we've had these uniforms for nearly 100 years and I'd love nothing more than to have them for 100 more....

Anyway, I'm a bit off topic. The real topic is "modernizing" the numbers, even on classic jerseys.. don't know what I'm talking about? Well, I was watching an old game on the NHL network and it dawned on me... why did they add the white between the blue number and the red outline on montreals uniform? in fact, almost every team in the leauge has a layerd number now, I found these pictures as a perfect example.

Old-

http://www.habsinsideout.com/files/hio/img/roy.jpg

New-

http://www.fansedge.com/Images/Product/51-23/51-23711-F.jpg

I realized... the middle-stripe is kinda ugly... Is it necessary? I mean, what was wrong with the Blue with red stitching on the outside? Our Red "home" jerseys don't have that, it's white with a single outline, blue, and it looks incredible as it always has...

I'm just wondering if anybody agrees that this white middle "stripe", for lack of a better discription, is ugly and unnecessary...

P.S.

If this is in the wrong spot, please dont hesitate to move it :\

Guest Greek Hab

The only thing about the white outline I don't like, is if it wasn't there, it would give the blue part of the number more room for a signature. That's pretty much my only dislike.

Also, looking at the 2 Roy jerseys, the CH logo is much much bigger in the newer style.

Guest King-Carey-31

Actually, I disagree, The stripe is a nice touch, I always thought the red and blue touching on the numbers was a bit odd to be honest.

Guest thefooligan5
The only thing about the white outline I don't like, is if it wasn't there, it would give the blue part of the number more room for a signature. That's pretty much my only dislike.

Also, looking at the 2 Roy jerseys, the CH logo is much much bigger in the newer style.

I don't think it is actually.

Compare each logo to the size of the neck on the jersey. They are pretty much equal. I think simply because the older jersey seems to be layed out flat while the newer jersey seems to be hanging on something and hence is more 'rounded' does the logo look smaller on the older sweater.

Guest Bobineau
I don't think it is actually.

Compare each logo to the size of the neck on the jersey. They are pretty much equal. I think simply because the older jersey seems to be layed out flat while the newer jersey seems to be hanging on something and hence is more 'rounded' does the logo look smaller on the older sweater.

The logo was enlarged a while ago.

Guest NewfieHab

I would have to say that the white around the number is a nice touch. It helps the number stand out a bit more than just the red and blue. I would not want to change anything about that.

Guest Felquiste

http://www.nhluniforms.com/

the logo and the lettering changed for the 1997-98 season. The logo went bigger and they added white on the white jersey lettering. They enlarged the logo because during the 80s and the 90s the uniforms just kept going bigger but the logo haven't changed so it became too small. For the lettering I totally agree with you. The 2 color scheme is way better that the one they use right now. I don't know why but i'm a lot more appealed by it.

Archived