The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2008 Nhl Draft

Guest Me_Habs_Fan

If I could, I would make a few deals before July draft and go for Greg Nemisz. He is a 6 foot 200 pound center, who shoots Right. The Habs certainly don't need any more Defense men. Well, not right now away.

I also like 185 pound, 6 foot Center - Mitch Wahl and Joe Colborne.

-----

Just looked at some of the Mock Draft selections for 2008.

28 Montreal

Joe Colborne

Ht/Wt:6.04/195 lbs

Position:LW

Drafted From:Camrose (AJHL)

27 Montreal Canadians

Pier-Alexandre Poulin,

Center

23. Montreal – A.J. Jenks - C (OHL)

25. Montreal- Kelsey Tessier, C

Height/Weight: 5'9, 172

Team: Quebec Remparts, QMJHL

18 - Montreal Canadiens - D - Vyacheslav Voynov

- Chelyabinsk (RSL)

from http://www.mynhldraft.com/

and other sites / boards.

Guest FrozenPuck

Here's a primer on some of the 2008 entry draft prospects that came out today at Hockey.com.

I keep hearing that Doughty could drop down up to a half dozen spots though? Stamkos is certainly the consensus #1, although I'm not sure he's a franchise player as some make him out to be.

Guest privateserver

By Crafty Vet:I think Stamkos is overrated. I think he will be a good first line player, but not a franchise player. I'm hoping Filatov falls to us (because of the Russian transfer garbage) because I think he will be a franchise forward. I'm betting he will be one of the top 5 russian forwards in the league in 5 years. I think there is a chance one or two of the early defensemen will become franchise guys too. If we have to take one of the defensemen, I'm hoping it is Schenn.

1.Stamkos

2. Doughtry

3. Filatov

This are the best 3 poeple in the draft.

Guest 1970 Habs
By Crafty Vet:I think Stamkos is overrated. I think he will be a good first line player, but not a franchise player. I'm hoping Filatov falls to us (because of the Russian transfer garbage) because I think he will be a franchise forward. I'm betting he will be one of the top 5 russian forwards in the league in 5 years. I think there is a chance one or two of the early defensemen will become franchise guys too. If we have to take one of the defensemen, I'm hoping it is Schenn.

1.Stamkos

2. Doughtry

3. Filatov

This are the best 3 poeple in the draft.

I would take Alex Pietrangelo over Doughty. He is 6'4 with a plus-69 in the past two seasons and has really started using his physical size this year.

He currently leads all defencemen in the OHL playoffs with 4 goals and 4 assists in just 4 games (actually tied with PK Subban who has 8 pts in 5 games).

Guest Me_Habs_Fan

Habs should try and get a - C - LW - RW - D ???

You know what I like - ©

Greg Nemisz / Mitch Wahl (Can either one of you win a face-off?) :lol:

Guest 1970 Habs

Top prospect Pietrangelo out with illness

As NHL non-playoff teams await the outcome of tonight's draft lottery, one of the blue-chip prospects available in this year's draft has received word his season has almost certainly ended prematurely. On Friday night, Niagara Ice Dog defenceman Alex Pietrangelo left Game 2 of the playoff series with the Oshawa Generals after just one period, complaining of pain in his abdomen. Pietrangelo did not play in a Game 3 loss on Sunday night in Oshawa and the Ice Dogs would only say he was suffering from an "upper body injury."

But sources say Pietrangelo is in a St. Catharines' hospital, diagnosed with mononucleosis and fluid in his abdomen, caused from a small tear of his enlarged spleen. Sources say the spleen has not ruptured and does not require surgery to remove it, that it's just a small laceration that will heal in time.

More definitive word on his status is likely to come today – the same day representatives of five NHL teams are at TSN's Toronto studio for the draft lottery drawing - but Pietrangelo has been told he won't be able to take contact for at least a month. Pietrangelo will remain under observation in hospital until the fluid in his abdomen dissipates. His Ice Dogs currently trail the Generals 2-1 in the best-of-seven series. In order for Pietrangelo to return to the ice this season the Ice Dogs would likely have to make it to the OHL final or the Memorial Cup and even then there's no guarantee Pietrangelo's condition would permit him to play.

Pietrangelo had been playing his best hockey of the season before coming out the Ice Dogs' lineup. Even before the playoffs, the offensive-minded blueliner was tabbed a sure-fire top five pick in this year's draft, but his stock has been steadily on the rise.

At least one NHL team rates Pietrangelo as the second best prospect available, behind only Sarnia centre Steven Stamkos, who is the unequivocal No. 1 this season.

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=233728&hubname=nhl

Guest fansince1975
1st pick: Tampa

2nd pick: Los Angeles

3rd pick: Atlanta

IMHO Stamkos is not a franchise forward. I have seen him play a couple of times and honestly he did not impress me. Tavares is impressive on the ice. Next year is bigger draft.

Guest fansince1975

Well BG likes US players. I think that we will get around the 30th pick. Therefore I think that Jake Gardiner would be a good choice.

Guest fansince1975
Mikhail Stefanovich

Belarus line!

I hope not. Most experts have him around #14 pick. To get around #14 Montreal would have to lose in the first round. However if a top Russia or Belarus player is available then why not take a chance with the 30th pick.

Archived