The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game Analysis: Pregame And Postgame Discussion

fourtrax

Guest FREDDYBEACH HAB

It will be interesting to see how much ice time D'Agostini gets being on the second line if he doesn't cacth on to the game real quick. Who do you think will get bumped up to that line if he isn't adjusting well to his first game?

It will be interesting to see how much ice time D'Agostini gets being on the second line if he doesn't cacth on to the game real quick. Who do you think will get bumped up to that line if he isn't adjusting well to his first game?

My guess is Latendresse, who would add some size and muscle to the second line.

Guest FREDDYBEACH HAB
My guess is Latendresse, who would add some size and muscle to the second line.

That's a good choice and I kind of expect that to happen. He's only had one practice with the team, but perhaps SK will remember his style and they'll be ok. If he gets bumped do you put him on his off wing or do you keep him on his natural wing and move Dandenault over?

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
That's a good choice and I kind of expect that to happen. He's only had one practice with the team, but perhaps SK will remember his style and they'll be ok. If he gets bumped do you put him on his off wing or do you keep him on his natural wing and move Dandenault over?

Usually when players get called up or have been absent for a while come back and have really strong performances. I think that Matt's adrenaline will be pumping full force and he'll more than likely hold his own tonight. I also feel that he won't get as much ice time as most think. He'll probably be given around 5-7 minutes, I'll be surprised if Carbo plays him more unless he plans on resting his veterans or if the Habs open up a huge lead in the first.

Overall, the Sabres have not been eliminated as of yet and we all know they'll come out flying. The Habs will be shooting for first overall and with that added incentive it should make for a very fast paced and exciting game tonight.

Guest FREDDYBEACH HAB

If they do what you say then that means someone gets double shifted. If thats the case I hope it's Kovalev, put your best player out there.

If they do what you say then that means someone gets double shifted. If thats the case I hope it's Kovalev, put your best player out there.

Kovalev is the most likely candidate. Besides being our best forward and most skilled player, he plays the same position as Ryder (RW), so double-shifting him on the second line would be a no-brainer. Carbo has been double-shifting Kovalev occasionally over the past few months as a way to get Kovalev some ice time against weaker lines and D pairings.

Guest FREDDYBEACH HAB

Glad to see this kind of thread opened up and GHC's original idea not tossed into the recycle bin. I look forward to reading some interesting and thought provoking comments. Well done.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach

I’ve always been hesitant to use the term “we’re number 1” but I came out of my shell a few weeks back and made my first post in big bold letters screaming “WE’RE NUMBER 1”. Problem was, I didn’t really believe it. If I did believe it, it was only for that game because we followed it up with a mediocre or sub-par performance and that got me thinking that we’re a fine team but not a number 1 team. We always showed signs of brilliance but we were lacking the true “killer instinct” to separate us from the pack.

Fast forward to our last game against Ottawa and our game tonight against Buffalo. Two hungry teams fighting for a playoff spot with everything on the line yet we were the aggressors, we were the ones setting the tone of the game, we were the ones getting the loose pucks and we were the ones getting the victory and the two points. There was no meltdown, there was constant pressure and the whole team was working right down to the wire. Our goalie was huge when he had to be and defense was as solid as I’ve seen it. Kovy’s line was simply phenomenal and at times I found myself shaking my head while saying out loud “WOW WHAT A PASS” . Players like Smolinski and Dandenault that were criticized by many in the beginning (and with good reason) have stepped it up and are playing like the true veterans that they are.

And now, as I sit here typing this last paragraph I feel excited and overjoyed but at the same time I feel a sense of tranquility settling it, we’ve arrived, the Montreal Canadiens have finally arrived. Finally, deep down, I believe that we are a number 1 team whether the standings dictate it or not.

Guest 77Bourque77

the part of the game that made me laugh was when A.kosty got tripped and Ruff was going banannas., calling it a dive :lol:

great game by the boys, i almost felt that carey could of had another shutout but meh what can you do when your screened and are killing a 5-3.

i dont think we have seen the best game from dags, had a couple of good shifts, but looked lost out there, wasnt skating, i dont think he threw any hits, but im sure he he will get better.(im not putting him down because i was really excited to see him play).

oh and i hated when the crowd started chanting Nay nay nay nay at like the 3 minute mark lol, i was yelling at my tv to tell people to save it for like a minute or something.

good game boys now lets do the same to those laughs!!

Guest Bud2790

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=14502

Alright, i'm not sure if this is the place to put this..if it's the wrong place, feel free to delete my post. I was reading this guys blog on hockeybuzz.com. Is it just me or is he a total homer ?? He calls Bégin's hit on Sekera ''a deliberate attempt to injure''. Then adds that the crowd applauded the attempt of injure, which is a disgusting behavior. Why did the crowd applaude ?? Because at normal speed, it looked like a great hit by Bégin.

Also he adds this ''Alex Kovalev needs his ***** kicked for his gutless hit from behind on Nolan. The Dman was playing the puck in his right corner, with his back to Kovalev-- why should that matter?''. I mean, The Dman turned his back to Kovalev just as he was going to get hit.

It almost disgustes me, that someone like that can post stuff on the front page of the hockeybuzz webiste...I know most people thinks it's a pretty bad site, mostly because of the E-clown, but there are great bloggers over there!

This thread is so confusing, total duplicate of the game thread. Might as well cut and paste...

The difference between this thread and the individual game threads is pretty clearly outlined in my initial post. For the rest, if you don't like this thread, no one is forcing you to post in it or read it.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
This thread is so confusing, total duplicate of the game thread. Might as well cut and paste...

The whole purpose of this was to discuss the game in depth without the one liners or the cheers. If you go back and read the GDT it's filled with one liners cheering for the team. I would fully understand if you posted that you consider this thread a bad idea and that you disagree with it. But having read your posts and having discussed and debated numerous topics with you I will have to question how someone as intelligent as yourself feels confused over a thread that was fully explained in the first post by Weep.

On another note, does anyone know what happened to Riccochet, I wish he'd come back to posting for I've always enjoyed his hockey knowledge and indepth post game analysis. If you're reading this Riccochet, you are missed.

The difference between this thread and the individual game threads is pretty clearly outlined in my initial post. For the rest, if you don't like this thread, no one is forcing you to post in it or read it.

Actually no, it's not clear. I do want to understand, read your post and GHC's, but I still don't see the difference. It's just tiring to read the same thing in two different threads, talking about the exact same thing.

Having said that, I apologize for stating my opinion and drawing red, as I was under the impression that we were allowed to do so here (at least when I was involved, even with the moderation thread).

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=14502

Alright, i'm not sure if this is the place to put this..if it's the wrong place, feel free to delete my post. I was reading this guys blog on hockeybuzz.com. Is it just me or is he a total homer ?? He calls Bégin's hit on Sekera ''a deliberate attempt to injure''. Then adds that the crowd applauded the attempt of injure, which is a disgusting behavior. Why did the crowd applaude ?? Because at normal speed, it looked like a great hit by Bégin.

Also he adds this ''Alex Kovalev needs his ***** kicked for his gutless hit from behind on Nolan. The Dman was playing the puck in his right corner, with his back to Kovalev-- why should that matter?''. I mean, The Dman turned his back to Kovalev just as he was going to get hit.

It almost disgustes me, that someone like that can post stuff on the front page of the hockeybuzz webiste...I know most people thinks it's a pretty bad site, mostly because of the E-clown, but there are great bloggers over there!

The fans cheered Begin's hit because it was a clean hard hit and in any hockey arena, hits like that are cheered. Those that saw an attempt to injure are purely biased in my opinion. As for Kovy's hit, Nolan turned and Kovy didn't have time to stop his check. In hockey, refs will almost never call a penalty when a player turns at the last second. It was a good no call in my opinion and it was clear that Kovy apologized afterwards for the hit. Even the biased Buffalo announcers aknowledged that Kovy apologized and that Nolan turned his back at the last second.

As far as the integrity of the posters on the hockeybuzz website, I couldn't tell you because I never read anything over there.

Guest bigsby
The fans cheered Begin's hit because it was a clean hard hit and in any hockey arena, hits like that are cheered. Those that saw an attempt to injure are purely biased in my opinion. As for Kovy's hit, Nolan turned and Kovy didn't have time to stop his check. In hockey, refs will almost never call a penalty when a player turns at the last second. It was a good no call in my opinion and it was clear that Kovy apologized afterwards for the hit. Even the biased Buffalo announcers aknowledged that Kovy apologized and that Nolan turned his back at the last second.

As far as the integrity of the posters on the hockeybuzz website, I couldn't tell you because I never read anything over there.

the hit was technically "clean" and i DO NOT think it was an attempt to injure but i'm not sure it's that cool to grab a guy's face and slam it into the boards...it didn't look that clean to me. i'm not sure what the call would be...face-ing? lol.

as for the game...outstanding. what else is there to say? solid, defensive, smart game that opened up countless scoring opportunities. the sabres looked disheartened very quickly.

how did d'agostini fair? i saw a sweet play to sergei but nothing else that spectacular...

face-offs?

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
the hit was technically "clean" and i DO NOT think it was an attempt to injure but i'm not sure it's that cool to grab a guy's face and slam it into the boards...it didn't look that clean to me. i'm not sure what the call would be...face-ing? lol.

as for the game...outstanding. what else is there to say? solid, defensive, smart game that opened up countless scoring opportunities. the sabres looked disheartened very quickly.

how did d'agostini fair? i saw a sweet play to sergei but nothing else that spectacular...

face-offs?

I still don't think it was dirty, it's a natural reaction to push someone as you're running the over :lol:

D'Agostini held his own, he actually didn't look out of place. Another bright spot to the Habs future.

We didn't fair very well on the faceoffs, only Laps was over 50%. Here's the link for all the face-off stats from tonight http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20072008/FC021204.HTM

Guest bigsby
I still don't think it was dirty, it's a natural reaction to push someone as you're running the over :lol:

D'Agostini held his own, he actually didn't look out of place. Another bright spot to the Habs future.

We didn't fair very well on the faceoffs, only Laps was over 50%. Here's the link for all the face-off stats from tonight http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20072008/FC021204.HTM

i don't necessarily think it was dirty but i won't argue that it was clean either...the guy was cut on the play.

nice to hear about d'agostini. he's bigger than i thought.

thanks for the f/o stats. higgins wasn't very good at all but everything else about his game clicked at least. (did sergei take a faceoff? if it's not on the chart does that mean no?)

the face-off problem needs to be fixed asap but i like that lapierre's getting better. he's going to be an asset in the playoffs for so many reasons.

Guest JIMVINNY
Actually no, it's not clear. I do want to understand, read your post and GHC's, but I still don't see the difference. It's just tiring to read the same thing in two different threads, talking about the exact same thing.

Having said that, I apologize for stating my opinion and drawing red, as I was under the impression that we were allowed to do so here (at least when I was involved, even with the moderation thread).

Jl, you are are a well respected member, and you post some great comments, but sometimes it seems you try to force your personal sentiments on everyone else. Between this and yout posts regarding the MN threads, boy...

This thread is For members who aren't simply interested in "cheerleading" as someone else so eloquently put it. In depth analysis should say it all, don't you think? All to often a well-written, thought-provoking post will get pushed off the newest page simply because someone feels like starting a new Huet-Price debate.

I'm quite certain you are well aware of all this, as it came up last evening, and you strike me as a well-educated, socially aware type of guy. You aren't required to post here, and you don't even need to read this thread if you don't like that it exists. In fact, your off-topic posts cause discussions that result in exactly the type of content this tread was created to avoid. Which is why this is the last time I'm going to mention it.

Thanks in advance for your understanding regarding the wishes of other members.

Guest GreekHockeyCoach
i don't necessarily think it was dirty but i won't argue that it was clean either...the guy was cut on the play.

nice to hear about d'agostini. he's bigger than i thought.

thanks for the f/o stats. higgins wasn't very good at all but everything else about his game clicked at least. (did sergei take a faceoff? if it's not on the chart does that mean no?)

the face-off problem needs to be fixed asap but i like that lapierre's getting better. he's going to be an asset in the playoffs for so many reasons.

Sergei didn't take any faceoffs and you're 100% right Bigsby, this problem with the F/O's has to be resolved ASAP or it will wind up hurting us in the playoffs. Lapierre is getting better in alot of aspects of the game, not just the faceoffs. He's super fast, he's full of energy, I get tired just watching him go all out on every shift. This guy is the damn energizer bunny. He's also a sh.it disturber to the other team and an in your face type of player, he actually reminds me of Dale Hunter for some reason. Super performance by Laps tonight.

Guest bigsby
Sergei didn't take any faceoffs and you're 100% right Bigsby, this problem with the F/O's has to be resolved ASAP or it will wind up hurting us in the playoffs. Lapierre is getting better in alot of aspects of the game, not just the faceoffs. He's super fast, he's full of energy, I get tired just watching him go all out on every shift. This guy is the damn energizer bunny. He's also a sh.it disturber to the other team and an in your face type of player, he actually reminds me of Dale Hunter for some reason. Super performance by Laps tonight.

i know this probably goes without saying but watching the sabres score after winning the f/o on a 5-3pp was disheartening. against run and gun teams our low f/o % could (will) be very damaging.

(sorry for all the questions...i'll just call this my post-game q/a. lol...but...higgins played the whole game at center? he was exceptional tonight with the exception of the f/o circle...i hope he stays there while koivu's out)

i love that he's a s-disturber who rarely gets penalized for it. outstanding.

5-5 id clicking, pp is clicking, pk is clicking...not much 'analysis' needed just props all around :D

Archived